PDA

View Full Version : The condensed "discussion about the title one way or another" thread

#Notion
03-07-2006, 10:47 PM
You know, I don't care what lesson any member of the band has tried to teach me or anyone else that will listen, by implying/stating that track and album titles are not important, but for me, they are.

The title is sort of a defining point or thought reference of a song (or an album). It either closes off irrelevant notions about the song (as in, this song is called ticks and leeches, therefore it is not about warm thanksgiving dinners), or gives the listener a broad inspiring open-ended setting to start from as he listens (when you know the title of a song is PARABOLA, or LATERALUS, you don't correllate anything in particular to the song as the titles are just so mysterious and open-ended, that your mind generates it's own thoughts and emotions, inspired by the broadness of the title.

Having said that, the titles we've been told as of now, especially the title of the new album just doesnt sit well. They have no ispiring or interesting base to work from and for me feel like, that when I listen to the new album and remember the title of the great song i just heard, it'll be kind of a downer, "well... yeah... Lost Keys.. whatever..".

Maybe im just analyzing this shit a bit too much instead of letting the music be the music, but its understandable seeing as thats all we have right now are titles, and no music.

Anyone else not feeling the titles of the new album?

Chris Myth
03-07-2006, 10:53 PM
i dunno, you can't understand a puzzle by looking at one piece... wait to see how it all fits together, then cast your judgement. the title could have a much deeper meaning, such as a reference to the "saturn cycle" referenced before in "the grudge". i have a feeling song titles such as "lost keys" and "rosetta stoned" are the band having fun with journalists they know will leak that information as soon as they can. what's coming is going to be big, so have faith...

/V\agina
03-07-2006, 11:28 PM
If that's how you feel, then that's cool. I personally don't worry about titles. It is nice to not get a little red-faced when someone asks you "What's the name of that kick-ass song?" and your reply with the name.

I can deal though. I mean, hooker with a penis? Maynard's Dick?... Stinkfist??

This won't be the first time.

TickTock
03-07-2006, 11:57 PM
i have my doubts about the mentioned song titles. i can believe 10,000 days as the title of the album and i have no problem with it. for some reason when i first heard the title i thought of something like a long journey and difficulty traveling it. im sure i am way off if in fact this is the real title but i belive it will all come together and by that point we will not have a problem with it.

Shaz
03-08-2006, 12:13 AM
yeh dude,
just wait till the music hits ya
you'll see why they named it "lost keys" after awhile.

They're either going back to the odd named material that still kicks ass or they are just "encephaling" this release. that is all.

And seriously. its tool. When they conform to us, their fans, and conform to what we think they should name the material, it wouldnt be tool anymore. It just wouldnt.

im just looking forward to new, heavy, hard hitting, thought provoking, slightly progressive, and maybe a little creepy rock that i never heard before.

Im imagining a song that sound a little aenima+New millenium cyanide christ+ reflection + mantra+ a little hendrix (ha)

but im not gonna get it

and i cant wait another 90 days.
....... and i dont have to.
peace kids

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-08-2006, 12:23 AM
I seem to remember a cetain song by the name of hooker with a penis. It was about a tool fan who thought the band was 'selling out'. Is it too much of a stretch to compaire the people who are ripping the new album title appart to being OGT? I still wouldnt put it past Tool to pull a quick one on us with this title, and I will admit to being a little dissapointed when i heard it. But what if the title actually is 10,000 Days, dont you think they would do it for a reason? They are Tool, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt...

TickTock
03-08-2006, 12:23 AM
i am ready for this album! i have been a fan for quite some time and i just cant see this band going anywhere but forward with the music and message. if the album is heavy, dark, and or spiritual i have no doubt that it will still be inspiring.

Shaz
03-08-2006, 12:35 AM
i am ready for this album! i have been a fan for quite some time and i just cant see this band going anywhere but forward with the music and message. if the album is heavy, dark, and or spiritual i have no doubt that it will still be inspiring.

Tick we're ridin' the same boat i think...

heavy, dark, and or spiritual...

good things man good things

Goldfoot
03-08-2006, 12:40 AM
This has nothing to do with selling out or being OGT. This is about people having expectations on how other people conduct themselves.

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-08-2006, 12:48 AM
This has nothing to do with selling out or being OGT. This is about people having expectations on how other people conduct themselves.

I garantee the new album will meet any expectations that any of us has, its tool- they are gonna come out with something new and differant, whatever they decide to call it, its gonna blow our minds and it has meaning behind it that we will never understand. I dont understand how calling it 10,000 days is any diffrant than making up a word like AEnima.

DemiGodRaven
03-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Honestly I think one of the reasons why people have so much trepidation towards 10,000 days is that Disturbed released a cd called 10,000 fists, and it just seems like the band is mocking them, not unlike the Maynard found christ escapade.

However, if the title is 10,000 days, I honestly don't give a rats ass if the music is good.

Salo
03-08-2006, 01:24 AM
I was at the listening party and if indeed the name is "10,000 Days", as you hear the lyrics it'll make sense.

I'll post more on the day I can officially talk about the album in detail.

STA
03-08-2006, 01:31 AM

Yeah, when's that, May 2?

Goldfoot
03-08-2006, 01:33 AM
April 13th apparently.

mattw
03-08-2006, 02:53 AM
I was at the listening party and if indeed the name is "10,000 Days", as you hear the lyrics it'll make sense.

Can you give us a little bit more in the meantime? You don't have to review tracks or anything, just give us something to lift our spirits and make us happy...

God damn I'm jealous of everyone in the world who has already heard this new album. Then again, how many could it be? 200? That's not too many out of 6 billion.

Please reply Salo. Please!!

orange.juice
03-08-2006, 03:23 AM
hmmm he certainly got a nice nickname.

Khastra_KSC
03-08-2006, 03:56 AM
I seem to remember a cetain song by the name of hooker with a penis. It was about a tool fan who thought the band was 'selling out'. Is it too much of a stretch to compaire the people who are ripping the new album title appart to being OGT? I still wouldnt put it past Tool to pull a quick one on us with this title, and I will admit to being a little dissapointed when i heard it. But what if the title actually is 10,000 Days, dont you think they would do it for a reason? They are Tool, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt...

la la la.... come up with something new to talk about damnit.

mattw
03-08-2006, 04:42 AM
By the way, From death we are nothing, I went to your myspace page:

I want that 1 minute of my life back!!

TOOLEK
03-08-2006, 04:51 AM
I still have a little bit of a doubt that it's an actual name (April Fool's maybe??) but if it is a real name of a new album then two conclusions:
1. You have to admit Tool is unexpected and does not follow any other people's opinions and any standards
2. If it's about the name, maybe it's not so attracting (by its mystery) title as for instance "Lateralus", but still it is not a bad name either and surely has some significance for the band, I hope we will soon find out what kind of... and then we will appreciate it.

Doylebag
03-08-2006, 05:06 AM
I like the name. I think its very nice.

ARMZ
03-08-2006, 05:14 AM
I really don't give a fuck what they call their album but Bebo Norman might get upset....

stinkfish
03-08-2006, 05:30 AM

a shitty title is just a shitty title, doesn't have anything to do with selling out or not. how the fuck did you come to that conclusion? oh and the title hooker with a penis is clever - "10.000 days" is not.

I garantee the new album will meet any expectations that any of us has, its tool- they are gonna come out with something new and differant, whatever they decide to call it, its gonna blow our minds and it has meaning behind it that we will never understand. I dont understand how calling it 10,000 days is any diffrant than making up a word like AEnima.

First of all you can't guarantee shit. Why do you even spend time writing that when you have no clue what so ever like the rest of us. Even tho I honestly don't doubt it will meet YOUR expectations, as it seems your standars are so low you can't even tell a good title like aenima from a shitty nu-metal influenced 10.000 days.

have a good day.

LetGoLetgoLetGo
03-08-2006, 05:45 AM
It would be nice if the album blew us all away. Especially for the people that are casting judgements on this track title bs. Maybe they will hear it when it comes out, it will be too good for their ears to comprehend, and they will go deaf and mute. O, and blind too so that we dont have to see this same post have babies 14000 times a day with the same whining shit in it.
LOVE YOU. HAVE A NICE DAY.

2and46
03-08-2006, 06:24 AM
It would be nice if the album blew us all away. Especially for the people that are casting judgements on this track title bs. Maybe they will hear it when it comes out, it will be too good for their ears to comprehend, and they will go deaf and mute. O, and blind too so that we dont have to see this same post have babies 14000 times a day with the same whining shit in it.
LOVE YOU. HAVE A NICE DAY.

I just don't know how anyone could make a judgement based on an album title. Tool is too grand to have 10,000 days mean exactly that. Let's listen to the album, and I'm sure all of those naysayers will be perplexed by their original dismay.

hanger25934
03-08-2006, 06:48 AM
anyone thinking the title is an april fools joke is fucking retarded. last time i checked its only march. also the title has been confirmed so if everyone would stop crying about it sounding like a disturbed album title. now if it sounds like disturbed's music we have problems but untill you've heard the album please refrain from bashing it in any way. and finally, once it comes out your brains will all get zapped from how beautiful it is.

pork chops
03-08-2006, 07:07 AM
right

pork chops
03-08-2006, 07:13 AM
i know that i'm a newbie and you will all probably tell me to shut up and go lie in a pool of my own waste or some other lame internet comment but i feel like i need to say something.

part of me, cold and ugly, jerk-off, crawl away, jimmy, the patient, ticks and leeches. these titles don't seem to be very captivating or shrouded in mystery and yet the songs are great. art doesn't need lables, just substance. Tool never falls short on providing substance and there is no reson to believe that this time would be any different. i am convinced that givin the choice, the band would not even put titles to theire songs. but, alas, this is probably a requirement by the record contract. let the music speak to you, not the title

Boozy Eulogist
03-08-2006, 07:34 AM
I gotta say, not once have I seen selling out come up in the topic of the new title.

materalus
03-08-2006, 07:40 AM
when i first heard the title i didnt know what to think. its just like before u try a new drug, people can tell u what its like but that dont mean shit when it hits you..
in my opinion 10,000 days is a awesome title. it sounds like it will reach to higher levels uknow..?

zenkinet
03-08-2006, 07:43 AM
when i first heard the title i didnt know what to think. its just like before u try a new drug, people can tell u what its like but that dont mean shit when it hits you..
in my opinion 10,000 days is a awesome title. it sounds like it will reach to higher levels uknow..?
i second this idea... reminds me of 20000 Leagues Under The Sea

kyyuulle
03-08-2006, 07:45 AM
bilboran

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-08-2006, 07:49 AM
a shitty title is just a shitty title, doesn't have anything to do with selling out or not. how the fuck did you come to that conclusion? oh and the title hooker with a penis is clever - "10.000 days" is not.

First of all you can't guarantee shit. Why do you even spend time writing that when you have no clue what so ever like the rest of us. Even tho I honestly don't doubt it will meet YOUR expectations, as it seems your standars are so low you can't even tell a good title like aenima from a shitty nu-metal influenced 10.000 days.

have a good day.

I am having a great one thank you!

DJOX
03-08-2006, 07:55 AM
I read the posts in the opinions section, and it just amazes me how much people talk crap. 10.000 days is a nu-metal influenced title? I don't get it. I associate the title with an apocalyptical scenery. And it's funny, 10.000 days is something like 27 years. Hey, that's my age. :) I know one thing, as the release date approaches, I can barely wait to hear the album. But in the same time, I'm affraid to hear it. I don't even think I'm gonna listen to it immediately when I buy it. I'll let a week pass by, maybe. Maybe I'll take some magic mushrooms, and just let myself go...

It's just a shame that there is still enough negative energy between some people who listen to (but not yet hearing) Tool.

ladder_alice_11
03-08-2006, 07:59 AM
Alrite, I gleaned the following from that forum site for the new album. Just look in the lies section of the new album forums and you'll understand which site i mean.

However, as wrong or unofficial as that site may be, someone had posted this:

"Many of you are probably quite serious in taking the title as '10,000 days'. We are all failing to see something very important.

Just In Case Your Interested,
(As you would recall from the announcement)

Justin Case Your Interested,

DO THE MATH

And no, Justin is not referring to THE Justin. That is your one hint. I believe rockstars will know.

And another:

The absence of the signature is suspicious, no?

By the way,

It seems like the majority of sounds are very cold. When I say cold, I mean cOld. As in, winter on the 17th of April. Tune in then... ....and tell me it's not cOld."

That's very, very interesting to me for some reason. He said "DO THE MATH."

So I counted the characters in the title of Blairs post. It comes out to 27 characters because of the mistake in the spelling of the word "youre."

Coincidence? Most likely, but I wanted to see what everyone else thought about that. Typo? Yes? No?

eddie75
03-08-2006, 08:01 AM
I think the title doesn't flow with the titles of their other albums. Opiate, Undertow, aenmia, lateralus, 10,000 days. It reminds me of one of those "which one does not belong" questions.

kyyuulle
03-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Alrite, I gleaned the following from that forum site for the new album. Just look in the lies section of the new album forums and you'll understand which site i mean.

"Many of you are probably quite serious in taking the title as '10,000 days'. We are all failing to see something very important.

DO THE MATH

And no, Justin is not referring to THE Justin. That is your one hint. I believe rockstars will know.

And another:

By the way,

It seems like the majority of sounds are very cold. When I say cold, I mean cOld. As in, winter on the 17th of April. Tune in then... ....and tell me it's not cOld."

So I counted the characters in the title of Blairs post. It comes out to 27 characters because of the mistake in the spelling of the word "youre."

Coincidence? Most likely, but I wanted to see what everyone else thought about that. Typo? Yes? No?
confused the shit out of me.

ladder_alice_11
03-08-2006, 08:07 AM
Ha. Yea, same here. Go to TOOLBAND.com. Take a look at the post with the red font. That's what this guy was talking about. Apparantly he thinks that there is a hidden message.

www.10000-days.com is where I found the original posting.

Justin Case?

Ming
03-08-2006, 08:18 AM
i've thought about this title _a LOT_ and...

Just kidding.

I don't care what they call it. They can call it 900 dumb motherfuckers on a messageboard and I'd be happy as a pig in shit to buy and _consume the holy fuck_ out of it.

Hooker with a Penis really is approprié here.

Shut up and buuuuy... myyyyyyy... newwww...record... fuuuuck you buddy...

I'm all lubed up and ready to go, make me yo OGT bitch. *waves credit card*

varg
03-08-2006, 10:42 AM
They can call it 900 dumb motherfuckers on a messageboard

LOL

Tayloe41800
03-08-2006, 10:47 AM
anyone who can say they are unhappy about the title of this new CD is a lame excuse for a Tool fan.

show some respect, even if the CD sucks in your opinion, you must respect the feeling any previous CD has given you.

who cares what the disc is called, its Tool, and last time i checked, they were the geniuses, not any of us

eddie75
03-08-2006, 10:48 AM
So to be a good tool fan you have to agree with everything they do???

Tayloe41800
03-08-2006, 10:49 AM

no, but to accually say u are pissed about a name is totally lame

eddie75
03-08-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm far from pissed about it. I just don't think it's actually the name, and if it is then it's just kind of a lame name.

Foamy
03-08-2006, 10:52 AM
I seem to remember a cetain song by the name of hooker with a penis.
I see. And did this song say this it was wrong to have your own opinion?

Tayloe41800
03-08-2006, 11:07 AM
I'm far from pissed about it. I just don't think it's actually the name, and if it is then it's just kind of a lame name.

i dont think its the greatest name either....and after reading your post about past names and flowing into this name, i must say i agree.

10000 days lacks meaning when u think of it in simple terms, but Tool always seems to make the listener hear a very direct simple meaning, and that usually hides the true deeper meaning.....which is very intense

who knows if this is the real name, you cant believe any rumors about this band because they definatly like to mess with our minds :)

Ming
03-08-2006, 11:08 AM

Uh.. yes! Duh. :)

SpiralOutKeepGoing
03-08-2006, 11:08 AM
i am convinced that givin the choice, the band would not even put titles to theire songs. but, alas, this is probably a requirement by the record contract. let the music speak to you, not the title

But I think with the title it helps give us a clue as to what the meaning of the song is about.

Geedorah
03-08-2006, 11:14 AM
In 10,000 days we will all be laughing about this.

I can hear the laughter now. Laugh little children! Laugh little unicorn! Laugh!!

Those who have listened are saying to just wait and it will all make sense. I myself am starting to believe that the title is "10,000 Days", but it will take a lot more for me to believe "Rosetta Stoned".

TurdEye13
03-08-2006, 11:17 AM
Bring on the Tool!

TurdEye13
03-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Too high expectations often make the final product less of a big deal.

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-08-2006, 11:21 AM
I see. And did this song say this it was wrong to have your own opinion?

Its not wrong to have your own opinion, but how can you judge an album title before you hear the album, and how can you judge tool for going a slightly differant path with thier next album title.

Wretched
03-08-2006, 11:23 AM
I'm not.

pork chops
03-08-2006, 11:38 AM
does it really matter what the album title is, so long as the music contained in the work itself is great. i mean, if pink floyd called "wish you were here" or "dark side" by any other name would it have made those albums any less significant. the same can be said with AEnima. do you feel like it's a waste of time pissing about titles. especially when all accounts that are in the numerous threads say nothing except what a agressive in your face fantastic album this is.

TurdEye13
03-08-2006, 11:45 AM
I find it hilarious that a few months ago on here. Most of the members were just talking about speculation and saying things like "lets wait until we get official news" and "I'll believe that title when it shows up on Toolband". Now, when we get news on a title some don't particularly like, they just seize this opportunity to rip it down. They beg for info then whine when it comes.

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-08-2006, 12:23 PM
If the album is capable of getting a goofy, eccentric british journalist to masterbate and cry during the playback, i dont care what its called. Kudos to Tool.

zac
03-08-2006, 12:55 PM
I haven't put too much thought into the given titles because no matter what they are they won't really mean anything til after very many plays of each song....Can't wait

spooky
03-08-2006, 12:57 PM
You know, I don't care what lesson any member of the band has tried to teach me or anyone else that will listen, by implying/stating that track and album titles are not important, but for me, they are.The title of this thread is very misleading.

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Where is the source of 'Rosetta Stoned'?

eddie75
03-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Don't get me wrong, the title of the album won't influence what I think of the album itself. Right now it's all I have to really base anything on and it just doesn't flow the way previous album names did, so I'm not thrilled by it.

ATARI
03-08-2006, 01:02 PM
Something from Rock Sound magazine or whatever it is

Sol Invictus
03-08-2006, 01:16 PM
I totally agree with Chris Myth.

Sol Invictus
03-08-2006, 01:29 PM
I mean Aenima was a word they made up, Lateralus is a muscle but both seemed to have amazing underlying meanings so even if the title is 10,000 days i have faith in the band to have meaning behind it.

CHEEZOR
03-08-2006, 01:31 PM
The only reason I signed up to be a member of this forum is because I thought this needed to be said.

When I read all the comments about the new album it sounds like a bunch of ignorant jurior high schoolers ripping on each other and anything another person posts. I am not the most open-minded person on the planet (far from it). But almost everyone who posts on here seems to be just here to flame on anything they can.

First off: Just because I like Tool does NOT mean that all other bands suck. Way too many posters seem to think Tool is the God of all bands. Sorry. They are just people. I happen to like their music.

Second: Just becuase you dont like a band does NOT mean they suck. I Hate tons of bands, but that doesn't mean everyone should hate them. They all have their place. If you dont like a band, dont listen to them. Diversity rocks! If every band sounded like Tool, music would suck.

I have faith in Tool that the new album they release will be something I will enjoy listening to. It will not be for everybody, but does that make it suck?

The new supposed album name is not what I would have guessed Tool would call their new album. Does that mean it sucks?

Please think about what you are posting before you go bashing on somthing. People can get so much more accomplished when they work together or at least respect one another. Thanks for your time.

PS: Now is your chance to flame me for posting this.

Sol Invictus
03-08-2006, 01:34 PM
I will do no such thing because i just joined today to say the same thing. I have been a tool fan since '95 and every tool fan *almost* i have met has been a really cool and open minded person but when i came on here a while back and started reading the posts for the past few months i have been appauled. Its truly sad people can be this cynical and immature. Be patient. Be kind to your fellow man. Tool's new album will rule and if you look at their history to think otherwise would to be totally ignorant to the fact that they never let us down and always rise to the next level.

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-08-2006, 01:35 PM
I agree

Hannibal
03-08-2006, 01:37 PM
While both posts are chocked full of great points...you must ask yourself this "does me complaining about people complaining on a message board....mean I suck?"

to that which you would answer "yes."

MasterOfKtulu109
03-08-2006, 01:38 PM
i agree. people on here seem like they are just sitting and waiting for the new album, like it is the only good thing to listen to. there were a handful of great albums that came out in the last year.

and people who are judging the album already based on the title, that just doesn't make sense. you have no idea the context of the title, or the way this will have anything to do with the theme. don't judge so quickly.

"Led Zeppelin's album is IV? That sounds like a terrible name, too similar to III. I bet it sucks.

Pink Floyd's Animals? Metallica's Master of Puppets?"

don't judge an album on its title until you hear it and put it into context.

Sol Invictus
03-08-2006, 01:40 PM
yes it is complaining about complainging but atleast were not bickering, being crude, being mean, calling names, and being immature. We are simply expressing our disgust with the way people are turning on the band due to dumb reasons. I would figure tool fans would support the band even if they decided to name the album the 9th moon i would wait to see what the true meaning was behind and to hear the material behind it not just judge a book by its cover.

Goldfoot
03-08-2006, 01:42 PM
Well, I'm not one of the people you are referring to so I'm not gonna go on "flaming" you. There are plenty of albums I have that have titles I wouldn't expect, but are good albums. Look at Nine Inch Nails and The Fragile. I love the album, but when I heard it was gonna be called The Fragile, I didn't know what to think. Same with With Teeth. Hah, look at GY!BE's Lift Your Skinny Fists.....that title sounds like something that would come from a scene band, but the album is one of the best I've ever heard. I have faith in the band and I know I won't be disappointed.

TurdEye13
03-08-2006, 01:43 PM
okay, you said how you feel, congrats

Sol Invictus
03-08-2006, 01:44 PM
I think even the idea of letting the album be self titled would seem to be a cop out to many of you but most bands do that simply to let the music speak for itself.

Bubba_Phat
03-08-2006, 01:44 PM
Teleincision.

eddie75
03-08-2006, 01:53 PM
I will do no such thing because i just joined today to say the same thing. I have been a tool fan since '95 and every tool fan *almost* i have met has been a really cool and open minded person but when i came on here a while back and started reading the posts for the past few months i have been appauled. Its truly sad people can be this cynical and immature. Be patient. Be kind to your fellow man. Tool's new album will rule and if you look at their history to think otherwise would to be totally ignorant to the fact that they never let us down and always rise to the next level.
You may be in for some culture shock here. Just ignore the ones who are assholes and you'll be fine

Sol Invictus
03-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Thanks man i have been lurking around reading posts long enough to know who most of the assholes are. I dont mind positive arguments and discussions but the bickering can just go take that shite elsewhere.

desdog333
03-08-2006, 02:22 PM
They can call it 900 dumb motherfuckers on a messageboard and I'd be happy as a pig in shit to buy and _consume the holy fuck_ out of it.

You made me quit lurking and actually have to post something....I laughed my fucking ass off when I read this!

dracomordag
03-08-2006, 02:45 PM

I think it's pretty funny that this guys always responds to bitching by saying "OMG guyz, remember hoooker wiht a p3nis? that song totally is you right now! LOL!!1"

people have a right to their opinions about any material. get used to the fact that not everyone's just like you.

This thread starter explained pretty well that he has not heard the music yet, so is not making a condemning statement, but rather that as of right now, with all the information he has available, something doesn't feel right to him.

dracomordag
03-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Oh, and I love how people are so seriously upset about how "tool fans act on this forum"

it's the internet, and it takes a while to get accustomed to the humor here. I'd say (no, I guarantee) that at least 95% of posts that you see here that "rip on someone" or "sound like high school juniors" are just sarcasm.

get the lead pipes out of your asses, please.

abrack29
03-08-2006, 03:17 PM

DO THE MATH

And another:

By the way,

Justin Case, eh?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095420/

http://www.justincase.ca/

http://www.justincasefans.com/

http://www.adultfilmdatabase.com/index.cfm/Action/DA/ActorID/5002/Justin_Case/

http://www.justin-case.co.uk/

And by the way, checked out toolband again, it says "you're" not "your

Sol Invictus
03-08-2006, 03:53 PM
wow.....*shakes head*

/V\agina
03-09-2006, 05:45 AM

have a good day.

.....What makes AEnima such a good title and how the fuck do you get that 10,000 days is nu-metal influenced? How many of us know what AEnima means and how many of us know what 10,000 days means? To me, they are similar in their mystery.

Can you please explain in depth what makes a title shitty? I'd love to know.

Sol Invictus
03-09-2006, 12:02 PM
I always thought the name hooker with a penis was rather gross. But thats just me. I mean seriously maynard has a sick and twisted sense of humour/wit.

Staticfactory
03-09-2006, 12:35 PM
I really can't believe how many different threads have gone up on this topic! I've heard everyone's opinion so many times that I wouldn't be surprised to see "10,000 Days Supporter" or "Say NO to 10,000 Days" in signatures or titles. I maintain that I don't care what the album/songs are titled. I'll only have to read the title once or twice... I'll be listening to the songs until my ears bleed.

pork chops
03-09-2006, 12:43 PM
I maintain that I don't care what the album/songs are titled. I'll only have to read the title once or twice... I'll be listening to the songs until my ears bleed.

well said. who cares what the title is. if there are people who are so concerned with what the title is then i have a suggestion.......go home tonight and replace all of the titles and liner notes on all the cd's that you own with ones that you approve of. and when you buy "10,000 Days" you can replace it with some obscure title that makes your heart go pitter patter and that makes the music sound better. oh wait, the title doesn't effect the music and how it sounds. are you serious...........

martyr
03-09-2006, 01:42 PM
im sorry but we have been waiting for 5 years now. i expected some obscure title that would need extreme analysis, but we get a title that has a number in it and that makes it somehow have less of a meaning and too exact. True, we need to dig deeper but i expected more, well, originality. And titles do mean something in TOOL land as they usually give some way of understanding the song and/or the album

ifrigginghatethis
03-09-2006, 02:56 PM
it's totally idle to sit here and analyze an album that hasnt even come out yet on the pretense of a title that we arent even sure is legitimate

besides, why do people care so much that the album might be titled 10,000 days? people need to stop deifying this band. they dont have answers to your problems, they cant provide you a meaning of life. theyre artists, not scientists, or mathematicians, or historians or psychologists.

maybe if people didnt have such unreal expectations of this band there wouldnt be such a significant turnover of support everytime their new albums come out

Staticfactory
03-09-2006, 02:58 PM
im sorry but we have been waiting for 5 years now. i expected some obscure title that would need extreme analysis, but we get a title that has a number in it and that makes it somehow have less of a meaning and too exact. True, we need to dig deeper but i expected more, well, originality. And titles do mean something in TOOL land as they usually give some way of understanding the song and/or the album

I can't say I've ever taken the title of a Tool song into consideration while I try to figure out what it means (to me.) The title is about 1% of the song (if that) so it's a waste of time to sit and analyse the hell out of it... especially before you even hear that bloody song. If I really took the title "Stinkfist" into consideration while I thought about that song, it wouldn't make any sense at all outside the surface level lyrical content. I find the title of their songs requires just as much thought as the lyrics do. Who, off the top of their head, actually understood the theory of "46 & 2"? Especially enough to USE the title of the song to help understand the song? When I look at all of the previous albums, I have yet to be disappointed by titles or lyrical content, so I would expect the trend to continue.

Zim-Zum
03-09-2006, 03:00 PM
it's totally idle to sit here and analyze an album that hasnt even come out yet on the pretense of a title that we arent even sure is legitimate

besides, why do people care so much that the album might be titled 10,000 days? people need to stop deifying this band. they dont have answers to your problems, they cant provide you a meaning of life. theyre artists, not scientists, or mathematicians, or historians or psychologists.

maybe if people didnt have such unreal expectations of this band there wouldnt be such a significant turnover of support everytime their new albums come out

They can't wait so they kill time by analysing

Mya
03-09-2006, 03:12 PM
dont get me wrong... im a definitely a fan of tool, but maybe while these guys are waiting, i dunno maybe branch out and listen to some other progressive stuff... because no mater how much you analyse, you're not going to get anything remotely genuine until you have the cd in your hands....

Ertai
03-09-2006, 03:17 PM
stop the speculation and go on with your lives.... i only check here to see if there is anything worth wild.. which most of the time there isnt..

im sure you all have better things to do with your life, put your time somewhere else

Mya
03-09-2006, 03:20 PM
stop the speculation and go on with your lives.... i only check here to see if there is anything worth wild.. which most of the time there isnt..

im sure you all have better things to do with your life, put your time somewhere else

agreed

ProdigyDub
03-09-2006, 03:34 PM
Who cares it's just a title.

flipmojo
03-09-2006, 03:37 PM
So I was driving home from signing the contract to sell my house today, and I started thinking about something. I was thinking about all the "HYPE" surrounding the new Tool album - all the secrecy. Tool has never been this secretive about an album before. Why so long to release an album title? And why not release the track listing?

What other band do you know that goes around the world promoting a nameless album? I can't think of any. Tool is allowing the opportunity for extreme hype to exist with this album while they act as though they do not care. And they probably don't care. That has always been the attitude of the band. Something like, "We do what we want, when we want and how we want. If you don't like it, tough."

It sucks for fthe fans in times like these to deal with a band who follows a creed like that. But eventually, this new album will become available on May 2nd for all to enjoy. And it doesn't matter what you think about the album title now because you haven't even heard a note of music yet. "Ten Thousand Days" are just three words with no meaning right now.

Unfortunately, most of you have fallen victim to the "HYPE". You get yourself all worked up about why the album title hasn't been released, and when it is released, it can't possibly meet your emotional expectations. What will be next? What color will the CD be? Black? Red? "I hate red CDs. A red CD with 10,000 Days written on it sucks." Will you sound like that?

The bottom line is this:

Ask yourself: Do I like the way Maynard's voice sounds? Do I like Danny's drumming? What about Adam and Justin's guitar sound? Have I liked alot of Tool music from previous albums? If you answered yes to those questions, then you will like the new album to some degree. It is that simple. So I recommend that you take each bit of new info as it comes, and enjoy the fact that it is new. Then, wait to make any judgements on the new album until after you have heard the whole thing in a comfortable setting.

I usually have to hear new music about 3 or 4 times before I can even make a sound judgement as to whether I like it.

ladder_alice_11
03-09-2006, 03:38 PM
Justin Case, eh?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095420/

http://www.justincase.ca/

http://www.justincasefans.com/

http://www.adultfilmdatabase.com/index.cfm/Action/DA/ActorID/5002/Justin_Case/

http://www.justin-case.co.uk/

And by the way, checked out toolband again, it says "you're" not "your

Yea I realized that right after I posted. :(

Boy is my face red........

dracomordag
03-09-2006, 03:59 PM

except art can express just as much truth as the sciences.

sorry, try again.

intoxic8
03-09-2006, 04:49 PM
You know, I don't care what lesson any member of the band has tried to teach me or anyone else that will listen, by implying/stating that track and album titles are not important, but for me, they are.

The title is sort of a defining point or thought reference of a song (or an album). It either closes off irrelevant notions about the song (as in, this song is called ticks and leeches, therefore it is not about warm thanksgiving dinners), or gives the listener a broad inspiring open-ended setting to start from as he listens (when you know the title of a song is PARABOLA, or LATERALUS, you don't correllate anything in particular to the song as the titles are just so mysterious and open-ended, that your mind generates it's own thoughts and emotions, inspired by the broadness of the title.

Having said that, the titles we've been told as of now, especially the title of the new album just doesnt sit well. They have no ispiring or interesting base to work from and for me feel like, that when I listen to the new album and remember the title of the great song i just heard, it'll be kind of a downer, "well... yeah... Lost Keys.. whatever..".

Maybe im just analyzing this shit a bit too much instead of letting the music be the music, but its understandable seeing as thats all we have right now are titles, and no music.

LOST KEYS is about St Peter losing the keys to the gates of heaven...
this whole album is about apocalypse all over again.
the whole vietnam/atlantis/jesus shit
Flood/Aenema we're all guna die
They're pissed off... this album is about bush for sure. wasn't it 10,000 days ago that Bush 1st was elected president? or weas the reagan?

Hannibal
03-09-2006, 06:40 PM
i think the title to this thread is shitty. But I'm not going to complain about it.

ps - Lateralus is a good song.

dracomordag
03-09-2006, 07:45 PM
So I was driving home from signing the contract to sell my house today, and I started thinking about something. I was thinking about all the "HYPE" surrounding the new Tool album - all the secrecy. Tool has never been this secretive about an album before. Why so long to release an album title? And why not release the track listing?

What other band do you know that goes around the world promoting a nameless album? I can't think of any. Tool is allowing the opportunity for extreme hype to exist with this album while they act as though they do not care. And they probably don't care. That has always been the attitude of the band. Something like, "We do what we want, when we want and how we want. If you don't like it, tough."

It sucks for fthe fans in times like these to deal with a band who follows a creed like that. But eventually, this new album will become available on May 2nd for all to enjoy. And it doesn't matter what you think about the album title now because you haven't even heard a note of music yet. "Ten Thousand Days" are just three words with no meaning right now.

Unfortunately, most of you have fallen victim to the "HYPE". You get yourself all worked up about why the album title hasn't been released, and when it is released, it can't possibly meet your emotional expectations. What will be next? What color will the CD be? Black? Red? "I hate red CDs. A red CD with 10,000 Days written on it sucks." Will you sound like that?

The bottom line is this:

Ask yourself: Do I like the way Maynard's voice sounds? Do I like Danny's drumming? What about Adam and Justin's guitar sound? Have I liked alot of Tool music from previous albums? If you answered yes to those questions, then you will like the new album to some degree. It is that simple. So I recommend that you take each bit of new info as it comes, and enjoy the fact that it is new. Then, wait to make any judgements on the new album until after you have heard the whole thing in a comfortable setting.

I usually have to hear new music about 3 or 4 times before I can even make a sound judgement as to whether I like it.

this man, without a doubt, knows what's up

paraflux
03-09-2006, 07:46 PM
i think the title to this thread is shitty. But I'm not going to complain about it.

ps - Lateralus is a good song.
You're right.

von satan
03-09-2006, 08:00 PM

The bottom line is this:

i have been a TOOL fan since i first heard undertow, loved it and everything they have done since, been reading these boards for a long time, finally decided to join and post, i agree with flipmojo 100%, i will listen to this new album all day everyday for months, probably years, like i have done with lateralus, and personally i couldnt give a fuck what the album title is.

RMFLAHERTY
03-10-2006, 10:35 AM
i know alot of people have been criticizing what is percieved to be the new albums title: 10,000 days. Instead of writing it off as uninspired, i figured if this is the title there must be a reason, so i did some research....here is what i found....which seemed plausible to me.....there is a novel entitled 10,000 days, by an author named Kenneth Royce...the books he has written deal with goverment, stalin, the nazi regime, etc. and he seems to be the type of free thinker which is willing to fight for a cause, that would intrigue the band....as i believe he started and the residing head of Free state wyoming, a group advocating political liberty...as for the book itself, the title 10,000 days is in refrence to a rough estimate that the world has enough oil to fuel mankind for 27 years...which amounts to 10,000 days...so thats what i found, i don't know if it makes sense, or if it sheds light on anything....but i thought it was plausible, with all the talk that the band has been inspired politicaly, and our current situation in the world today, and the decisions which revolve around oil....this along with the groups prior tendency to pay homage to philopsophers, scientests, entertainers, etc....i thought there may be some weight to this...than again i could be wrong....either way i cant wait for the new cd to come out....and im sure we won't be dissapointed
Ryan

toolloot
03-10-2006, 10:37 AM
It was Blair fucking about or something. No Meaning.

Systolic
03-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Not... another... one....

pork chops
03-10-2006, 10:41 AM
please stop the pain

SpiralOutKeepGoing
03-10-2006, 10:54 AM
please stop the pain

*bang bang*

pork chops
03-10-2006, 10:56 AM
*bang bang*

thank you so much

Staticfactory
03-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Not... another... one....

Is....there....ever.....a.....shortage?

SpareForTheWarFishers
03-10-2006, 11:23 AM
I think 10,000 days is a metaphor for the 10,000 interpretations that will come out of the title before the album is released.

SpiralOutKeepGoing
03-10-2006, 11:25 AM
thank you so much

Anytime.

TurdEye13
03-10-2006, 11:52 AM
I think 10,000 days is a metaphor for the 10,000 interpretations that will come out of the title before the album is released.

I can put money on that

pork chops
03-10-2006, 11:54 AM
i can put money on the fact that i am tired of hearing about this

Geedorah
03-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Why are so many users upset about people posting their interpretation of the title? With no new news being posted there's only one way to fill the time.

Christoff
03-10-2006, 12:12 PM
Well RMFLAHERTY, you did not say it particularly eloquently, but for a first post thank you.

If there are 10,000 interpretations I would love to hear every one. Your one makes a lot of sense. Maynard has said that he hopes the new album will initiate thought. Our wastage of our natural resources is one area that we are all guilty of ignoring in so way or another...

Dredg
03-10-2006, 12:53 PM

look, another mentally challeneged person!

The album has not been released, therefore, you can not judge the MUSIC. you see, you have to LISTEN to the music before you can judge it. anything else that you are bitching about is petty Linkin park bullshit.

paraflux
03-10-2006, 01:24 PM
look, another mentally challeneged person!

Uhhhhh.......... you might want to fix your own internal errors before trying to call others out.

C H A L L E N G E D

And I normally dont correct people's spelling or grammar unless they fuck with others.

TurdEye13
03-10-2006, 01:25 PM
Uhhhhh.......... you might want to fix your own internal errors before trying to call others out.

nice, you pwnt that dude

Sol Invictus
03-10-2006, 01:29 PM
its easy to make a typo on here when people become so beside themselves when someone says something that pisses them off.

dracomordag
03-10-2006, 03:26 PM
i know alot of people have been criticizing what is percieved to be the new albums title: 10,000 days. Instead of writing it off as uninspired, i figured if this is the title there must be a reason, so i did some research....here is what i found....which seemed plausible to me.....there is a novel entitled 10,000 days, by an author named Kenneth Royce...the books he has written deal with goverment, stalin, the nazi regime, etc. and he seems to be the type of free thinker which is willing to fight for a cause, that would intrigue the band....as i believe he started and the residing head of Free state wyoming, a group advocating political liberty...as for the book itself, the title 10,000 days is in refrence to a rough estimate that the world has enough oil to fuel mankind for 27 years...which amounts to 10,000 days...so thats what i found, i don't know if it makes sense, or if it sheds light on anything....but i thought it was plausible, with all the talk that the band has been inspired politicaly, and our current situation in the world today, and the decisions which revolve around oil....this along with the groups prior tendency to pay homage to philopsophers, scientests, entertainers, etc....i thought there may be some weight to this...than again i could be wrong....either way i cant wait for the new cd to come out....and im sure we won't be dissapointed
Ryan

a disgrace to the name Ryan.

Reinhart
03-14-2006, 08:40 PM
Think about the last 5 tool album names..
10000 Days doesnt make sense..
Not that it has to but.. hey.

Also..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001OH98/ref=pd_sbs_m_2/103-9844506-5147038?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=5174

The fact that its already taken is a strike against it.

Mya
03-14-2006, 08:41 PM
Think about the last 5 tool album names..
10000 Days doesnt make sense..
Not that it has to but.. hey.

Also..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00001OH98/ref=pd_sbs_m_2/103-9844506-5147038?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=5174

The fact that its already taken is a strike against it.

who is Bebo Norman?

dracomordag
03-14-2006, 08:59 PM
I like the merger

2and46
03-15-2006, 04:19 AM

How can you form an opinion about an album title before knowing what context its in? Can you name me a lyric? Can you for certain enlighten me to what "The Pot" is going to mean? Something tells me it won't be about an apparatus to boil you're ramen's in! Almost everything Tool does requires reading in between the lines. AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO DOESN'T CARE AT THIS POINT WHAT TITLES MEAN? With all due respect...LET'S HEAR THE DAMN ALBUM FIRST!

Exoskeletal
03-15-2006, 08:23 AM
As I said before in another topic...
Well... and all this speculation about the new album makes me sick. If they say this is the albuns name and its tracklisting, I accept it until proven contrary. If they are mocking us, thats because of all this bulshit created around this release and I dont blame them for doing that.
Can't you wait a couple of months to hear it and take your conclusions? Haven't you waited years? Patience is a virtue.
TOOL has never disapointed us, they always have surpassed theirselfs, this will be an asskickin album, wether its title or tracklisting... but dont expect another Lateralus, every single TOOL album is unique and has its own purpose. I expect something that can tell me something new. But thats my opinion...

Hannibal
03-15-2006, 09:40 PM
who is Bebo Norman?

i never realized this. Some Christian singer has the same album title name.....hmmm....now i'm almost certain its a prank.

Exoskeletal
03-16-2006, 08:31 AM
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:7edqoaealijd

Damn it... could TOOL be jokin with this cristian folk-pop shit?!

Octopod
03-16-2006, 12:13 PM
It probably doesn't matter to the band that the title has already been used by some third-rate acoustic artist back in the late '90s. The title "10,000 Days" will have a completely different context for Tool.

TREVORISMATT
04-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Judith Marie Keenan, Maynards mother, suffered a stroke when she was 32 years old that left her paralyzed and suffering in a wheelchair for the rest of her life until she died at the age of 59. How much suffering does that make? 27 years worth. This translates to roughly 10,000 Days. Also, one of the songs is called Wings for Marie, which is also obviously a tribute to Maynards mother... As was Judith with APC with references to Judith's strong faith in God. This album will be a more personal album for Tool, with Maynard discussing various things that are personal to him on his mind. So, personally, I like the album title and doubt it will change.

Andorion
04-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the t.d.n. forums, get ready to get flamed to hell and back.

People have made the Marie connection already, haven't heard about Maynard's mom's paralysis before though. Lots of things can be made to "fit" the 10,000 days theme, we don't know what the songs will be about until we hear the album, so no point is making a million threads full of speculation.

onebear
excellent post [/sarcasm]

HolyReality
how many times has this been brought up?

orange.juice
04-12-2006, 01:14 PM
at least 10...ziollion times.

Cucumber_11
04-12-2006, 01:14 PM
how many times has this been brought up?
Twice?

Its like eating a meal then constantly puking it back up again, it doesn't taste as good the second time...

spiralout987
04-12-2006, 01:24 PM
who cares if its been brought up?

then dont fucking reply!

fuck you all and fuck this forum

Grimface
04-12-2006, 01:28 PM
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck - 7 words.

fuck

Spaceman Spiff
04-12-2006, 01:29 PM

then dont fucking reply!

Somebody call the waaaaahmbulance

bentTOOL23
04-12-2006, 01:30 PM
maybe its because it takes 10,000 days of licking to get to the center of a tootsie pop

spiralout987
04-12-2006, 01:31 PM
fucking kids

Bogart
04-12-2006, 01:31 PM

then dont fucking reply!

Beacuse we dont need 30 fucking threads discussing the same subject.

Grimface
04-12-2006, 01:32 PM
You guys make me giggle

TheHolyGift
04-12-2006, 01:33 PM
I never cared what it means, it just sounds lame.

ThePAT|ENT
04-12-2006, 01:34 PM
this guy was actually talking about the 27 years of SUFFERING which somewhat relates to that lachrimology thing tool seem to like so much...

Agenda
04-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Oh. Wow now I get it. I won't have to interpret anything for myself, hooray! Your unimaginative thoughts close the doors on any other lame theorys.

Sarcasm - Sarcasm is sneering, jesting, or mocking a person, a situation or thing. It is often used in a humorous manner and sometimes expressed through particular vocal intonations. Sarcasm is often expressed in ironical statements. It can sometimes be the sincerest form of discourse for the emotionally fragile. This is often done by simply over-emphasizing the actual statement, or particular words of it.

Grimface
04-12-2006, 01:36 PM
this guy was actually talking about the 27 years of SUFFERING which somewhat relates to that lachrimology thing tool seem to like so much...

Crawling in my skin,
Without a sense of confidence.
Consuming, Confusing,
Crawling in my skin,
Without a sense of confidence
Im convinced that there just to much presure to take
Theres something inside me that pulls beneath the surface

Crawling in my skin(crawling in my skin)
These wounds they will not heal(these wounds wont heal)
Fear is how I fall(fear is how I fall)
Confusing, Confusing what is real,
Confusin wat is real.

There's somthing inside me that pulls beneath the surface,
Consuming, Confusing.
This lack of self control I fear is never ending,
Controlling, I cant seem to find my self again.
My walls are closing in.

Without a sense of confidence I'm convinced that there's just
Too much pressure to take.
I felt this way before, so insecure!

Crawling in my skin,
These wounds, they will not heal.

ThePAT|ENT
04-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Sarcasm - Sarcasm is sneering, jesting, or mocking a person, a situation or thing. It is often used in a humorous manner and sometimes expressed through particular vocal intonations. Sarcasm is often expressed in ironical statements. It can sometimes be the sincerest form of discourse for the emotionally fragile. This is often done by simply over-emphasizing the actual statement, or particular words of it.

you actually looked that one up huh? well done

Grimface
04-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Linkin Park >

::emo

ProdigyDub
04-12-2006, 01:39 PM

What the hell does this even mean?

Again, the likely answer is going to be that it's not a made up or Enochian or otherwise bullshit word, and thus it doesn't sound "cool". Fantastic reasoning.

Happyfunball
04-12-2006, 01:49 PM
But would you not agree it's potential lameness has more to do with it's actual context/content than merely it's title?

For example, many at work used to mock my HappyPencil t-shirt. "Happy Pencil? What the fuck is a Happy Pencil?! Sounds stupid. Queer." But of course I had to simply smile and nod because I knew they had no idea. They based their thoughts and emotions on a couple simple words with no actual understanding as to what those words might represent.

Interesting side note. They had the same reaction when I wore my "Cum Dumpster" t-shirt as well. So you see.

TheHolyGift
04-12-2006, 01:49 PM
It's perfect reasoning. I don't like the sound of it, thus it sounds lame. Personal opinion.

paraflux
04-12-2006, 01:52 PM
jesus christ, try being nice to each other every once in a while.

Cucumber_11
04-12-2006, 01:53 PM
jesus christ, try being nice to each other every once in a while.
*starts rubbing everyones thigh*

orange.juice
04-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Maybe some porn would ease it a little down.

TheHolyGift
04-12-2006, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=Happyfunball]But would you not agree it's potential lameness has more to do with it's actual context/content than merely it's title?QUOTE]

Yes, because I'm talking about the title/s, not the album.

TheRuleOfThree
04-12-2006, 02:20 PM
People are mean because they don't think and then they get indignant when others on here point out the error of their ways.

That is the single downfall of half the people on this forum... they are afraid of being wrong. And when someone points out WHY it's silly to make generalized judgements on the record before we've heard it and points out the fact that Tool has delivered great tracks with odd names in the past, they get angry at the fact that its a LEGITIMATE POINT and start calling it "their right" to have whatever "opinions" they want. Thats true, don't get me wrong... but it doesn't undo the logic that most of us have been touting all this time, which is DON'T JUDGE IT UNTIL YOU HAVE IT.

Most arguments on this forum are variations on this theme, where people either a) haven't done their homework that we all (including admins) appreciate by searching for other topics and reading, b) make statements that make no logical sense when compared to what we know (i.e. we listen to songs by this band called "Prison Sex" and "Hooker With a Penis," yet they complain that the new songs have "stupid titles" when they are completely unaware of the context) or c) start fights for no apparent reason. And in any of these cases when someone else points out the obvious fact that they are wrong for any of the above reasons, people get angry and then all hell breaks loose.

But whatever. Such is the nature of the beast.

BlairLicksTaint
04-12-2006, 02:31 PM
maybe its because it takes 10,000 days of licking to get to the center of a tootsie pop

lol

ProdigyDub
04-12-2006, 02:38 PM
People are mean because they don't think and then they get indignant when others on here point out the error of their ways.

That is the single downfall of half the people on this forum... they are afraid of being wrong. And when someone points out WHY it's silly to make generalized judgements on the record before we've heard it and points out the fact that Tool has delivered great tracks with odd names in the past, they get angry at the fact that its a LEGITIMATE POINT and start calling it "their right" to have whatever "opinions" they want. Thats true, don't get me wrong... but it doesn't undo the logic that most of us have been touting all this time, which is DON'T JUDGE IT UNTIL YOU HAVE IT.

Most arguments on this forum are variations on this theme, where people either a) haven't done their homework that we all (including admins) appreciate by searching for other topics and reading, b) make statements that make no logical sense when compared to what we know (i.e. we listen to songs by this band called "Prison Sex" and "Hooker With a Penis," yet they complain that the new songs have "stupid titles" when they are completely unaware of the context) or c) start fights for no apparent reason. And in any of these cases when someone else points out the obvious fact that they are wrong for any of the above reasons, people get angry and then all hell breaks loose.

But whatever. Such is the nature of the beast.

Bravo.

Happyfunball
04-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Everyone seems to be playing nice as far as I'm concerned. I was having a pleasant convo here myself. Anytime I can use the term "Cum Dumpster" in a rational sense, that's the embodiment of pleasant to me.

CallofCthulhu
04-12-2006, 04:17 PM

This is something I tried to stress awhile ago, that the album title and track names are JUST as important as the songs, I got bashed to bitz

CallofCthulhu
04-12-2006, 04:19 PM
If that's how you feel, then that's cool. I personally don't worry about titles. It is nice to not get a little red-faced when someone asks you "What's the name of that kick-ass song?" and your reply with the name.

I can deal though. I mean, hooker with a penis? Maynard's Dick?... Stinkfist??

This won't be the first time.

Those three are kick aSSZ titles, fucking metal sounding, with or without the music

TheHolyGift
04-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Those three are kick aSSZ titles, fucking metal sounding, with or without the music

I agree, when I first read the titles I love them all, Parabola, Lateralus and Ænima, as well Jerk-Off, Hooker with a Penis and Maynard's Dick. They ALL sounded mysterious, bizarre and intiguing. The only Tool title as yet I don't like is Cold & Ugly.

Get_Ya_Wicked_On
04-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Keeping this in mind, the actual track listings are far more – how should I put it – DOWN TO EARTH than “Laiad Kayenth”, “Paramnesia”, “Luminesce Kaon” and other ‘painted sepulchers, and any would-be ‘Cagliostros’ out there might want to factor this in (as opposed to using Lateralus as a template) when concocting any future bogus titles to disseminate on the web (for whatever reason). --toolband post back in early march.

i remember the whole L.K. thing now. And "Lost Keys" is pretty down-to-earth, much like "Right In Two" and others. Just another pointless post...

Octopod
04-13-2006, 12:34 AM
I think Rule of Three characterized the argument of the naysayers well. Nice.

I find it interesting that no one has really said exactly why the title 10,000 Days "sucks", or is "shitty". They just say that it does, period. I don't doubt that it's your opinion. I just want to know why or how it sucks. Is it the possible references (Keenan's mother, the translation of the Rosetta Stone, Viet Nam, Saturn's orbit, Etc.) that bother you? Because to me, that stuff is highly resonant. It blows my mind that people would find those possibilities lame. References like that are the type of things that, in my opinion, serve to qualify song and album titles. Especially for Tool.

I don't feel that every song Tool ever did was awesome, but in my opinion, there hasn't been a single song or song title that didn't contribute some valuable or interesting idea to their ethos. So it's a little surprising to me to see all the doubt and cynicism. It seems that there are quite a few folks around here that aren't willing to give this band the benefit of the doubt, and this after three fantastic albums and arguably the best popular ep of the last 20 years. Why is that? Is it really because some crappy band like Disturbed released an album with the same number in it's title? I mean, you do realize that dozens of bands have used that number in their album title, don't you? There have been others that used the words "opiate" and "undertow" in their titles as well... does that make Tool's use of those titles lame? I could see this point if Tool actually used the title "10,000 Fists", but they didn't. The two titles have exactly one thing in common. With all the other titles that include that number, I don't see how that argument can carry any water.

I'm interested in reading some opinions (without it descending into grade-school ethic) where TDN posters really examine their opinions on why this title and/or these song titles suck. No one has the music, so we're on common ground here. Give us some coherent, thought-out opinions that have a little more weight than the usual one liners.

bewilder me
05-25-2006, 06:07 PM
nothing suprises me with this album. not the titles and especially not the fact that its just as deep as the rest.

the collective

Chambers101
05-25-2006, 07:37 PM

I know how you feel. I think the album is incredible but I have a friend who says the album just doesnt have the same depth as lateralus and I replied with, "I agree with you, and I think its because this album is less ambiguous and the theme is not as cohesive throughout the entire album as lateralus was (+ its not as exact as lateralus in terms of writing); however, the album is sooo emotional, that I still get the same feeling as I do with lateralus." To me, I truely believe that the album isnt as good as lateralus (to some) because it doesnt contain as much depth in terms of my quote above. But, I feel if people really take the time to analyze WhAt the band is saying and HoW they are saying it, people can achieve the same level of love and appreciation for this album as previous ones, just in a different manner.