PDA

View Full Version : duet?

6bit
03-06-2003, 11:10 PM
I was driving around in my girlfriends car the otherday, which is much nicer than mine (as far as audio is concerned). So, as you can guess, Lateralus ended up in the player. As I began listening the Schism i heard something bizarre about the vocals, almost as if there were 2 different strings of Maynard singing at once. This wouldn't really be a big deal, but the weird thing about it was that there wasn't adominant voice, but they seemed to trade the job back and forth, getting louder and softer to counter the other.

Anyone else hear this? i hope i'm not nuts....

Nirvana
03-07-2003, 12:52 AM
well... i think your nuts...

Again I Bumped Up My Post...

Meaningless Post:):-:(Nirvana):-:(

nickknocker
03-07-2003, 02:47 PM
yeah i noticed that a looong time ago, didnt really think anything of it. It sounds like one voice is much deeper right? I always thought it was just crazy voice effects they used...strange

XiPHiaS
03-09-2003, 06:08 AM
Maybe it just IS a strange vioce-effect they are using. Maybe having maynard sing on both the left and right channel, with a slight delay and varying volume.... dunno...

bringerofbasses
03-09-2003, 09:41 AM
I think it's probably Justin or Adam, hell, maybe even Danny singing along - just the studio version. I've never seen anybody else sing when I saw them live, just Maynard. It doesn't sound like some synthetic voice or overdubbed vocals.

holy reality
03-09-2003, 12:23 PM
What are you people, deaf? Or am I just superly good at hearing things? You should really listen to things with huge ear covering headphones at a reasonable volume, as there are tons of things you will never hear without doing so. I've known this for ages......

anyway.......

The most notable parts are "pure intentions juxtaposed" in which 2-4 voices are added in while he is singing that line, it is a very eerie and cool thing to hear, especially for the first time. The same thing also happens during "i've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing" and just yesterday I noticed some very subtle, almost subliminal maybe, whipsering effect on some backing vocals he layered onto the chorus toward the end, but I don't remember where it was.

So yes there are plenty of layered vocals singing along through this song, and they are most certainly all Maynard.

The "deep" voice is just a weird effect he has on I think, because it's done live except it sounds a hell of a lot deeper, kind of like the devil.