PDA

View Full Version : 10,000 Days = Ticks and Leeches + Lustmord Schism remix?

submachine
03-07-2006, 04:11 AM
I am hoping this is the direction they go......

Ryan
03-07-2006, 04:39 AM
crappy remix + mediocre song?

yeah sounds wonderful.

Chris_Brightwell
03-07-2006, 05:51 AM
crappy remix + mediocre song?You must be listening to Nickelback again.

Boozy Eulogist
03-07-2006, 06:06 AM
You must be listening to Nickelback again.

You just gave Nickelback way too much credit.

bozziodrummer000
03-07-2006, 06:10 AM
wth kind of name is nickelback...refund?

submachine
03-07-2006, 06:12 AM
crappy remix + mediocre song?

yeah sounds wonderful.

You must be listening to Clay Aiken again.

tentonmantra
03-07-2006, 09:03 AM
i agree with Ryan...

it would suck, espcially that Lustmord shitty boring soulless remixes...

itīs been said that they are goin in a much harder direction, so forget that lousy lustmerda shit.

paraflux
03-07-2006, 09:06 AM
If you guys understood what Lustmord was about, perhaps your view would be different. But probably not, given the average attention span of kids these days.

Myriad: Days To Come
03-07-2006, 09:07 AM

That would be HIGHLY dissappointing. But without saying.... at least it is more fathomable than Nickleback.

o00mega00
I'm sorry, what did you say? I wasn't really paying attention.

Chris_Brightwell
it would suck, espcially that Lustmord shitty boring soulless remixes...I have to know ... what sort of gear did you listen to those mixes on?

Starfish
lustmord owns all your mamas' sorry asses.

Ertai
03-07-2006, 09:08 AM
mediocre song?!?!

ticks and leeches is the shit.... i dont know what your smoking, but maybe you need to toke some more....

stinkfish
03-07-2006, 09:36 AM
ticks and leeches is one of the better songs on lateralus

stinkfish
03-07-2006, 09:49 AM
oh and by the way, I fucking love hearing about the new agressive, meshuggah inspired direction. undertow/aenima >> lateralus any fucking day. you wimps.

ps. the album titlte is still fake

steve99_9
03-07-2006, 10:39 AM
thanks for the scoop Columbo

waffel
03-07-2006, 11:01 AM
If you guys understood what Lustmord was about, perhaps your view would be different. But probably not, given the average attention span of kids these days.

lol

reminds me of being back in junior high. everyone loved smashing pumpkins and if you didnt you "just didn't understand Billy"

YOU GUYS JUST DONT UNDERSTAND LUSTMORD.

Staticfactory
03-07-2006, 11:08 AM
lol

reminds me of being back in junior high. everyone loved smashing pumpkins and if you didnt you "just didn't understand Billy"

YOU GUYS JUST DONT UNDERSTAND LUSTMORD.

Hah! I've heard the exact same thing from a MYRIAD of Tool fans.

"You just don't understand Maynard, man."

paraflux
03-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Have attempts been made? Have you gone to wikipedia and looked him up? You cant understand if you dont try. I'm not one of your "misunderstood" characters. I'm just saying if you dont make attempts to understand, then you wont. That's all. I hate Billy Corgan.

evfain
03-07-2006, 11:37 AM
This would displease me. Ticks and Leeches would have been cool if not for the long breakdown in the middle. That conclusion is balls out. My biggest complaint is the song does nothing for me lyrically,but musically it really grew on me quite a bit. still my least favorite cut off of Lateralus, but still a song I love, so go figure...

waffel
03-07-2006, 11:41 AM
If I have to research him just to understand his music then he sucks.

paraflux
03-07-2006, 11:45 AM
So... everything sucks to you then, that you cant immediately experience for everything you would ever get out of it? Also, are you saying that you did NO research on the fibonacci sequence when lateralus came out?

Wretched
03-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Have attempts been made? Have you gone to wikipedia and looked him up? You cant understand if you dont try. I'm not one of your "misunderstood" characters. I'm just saying if you dont make attempts to understand, then you wont. That's all. I hate Billy Corgan.

So what are we supposed to be getting that you seem so in touch with? Please share you all and mighty mr.man.

Staticfactory
03-07-2006, 11:53 AM
So what are we supposed to be getting that you seem so in touch with? Please share you all and mighty mr.man.

He's just trying to point out what Lustmord is about - his history, his sound, his appeal to people, and the things he's done along the way. It doesn't matter if you do or don't like Lustmord (or his remixes, or the movies he's worked on) but you can't just go slapping a "SUCKS" sticker on everything you don't like.

Chris_Brightwell
03-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Have attempts been made? Have you gone to wikipedia and looked him up? You cant understand if you dont try. I'm not one of your "misunderstood" characters. I'm just saying if you dont make attempts to understand, then you wont. That's all. I hate Billy Corgan.What he's trying to say is that he hated the remixes until he understood wtf Lustmord was up to (courtesy of a Wikipedia link from yours truly) and then he said "Ah hah! I get it now!"

waffel
03-07-2006, 12:02 PM
I shouldn't have to research an artist to understand their music

Chris_Brightwell
03-07-2006, 12:02 PM
you can't just go slapping a "SUCKS" sticker on everything you don't like.Actually you can, since they're both subjective statements, but that's a semantic debate.

paraflux
03-07-2006, 12:04 PM

Brian "Lustmord" Williams is a musician in the subgenre of dark ambient. He started recording with the industrial ensemble SPK in the early 1980s. He utilizes infrasound -- inaudible frequencies below 20 Hz, which have been known to cause feelings of awe or fear. Lustmord has extracted field recordings made in crypts, caves, and slaughterhouses, and combined it with occasional ritualistic incantations and Tibetan horns. His treatments of acoustic phenomena encased in digitally expanded bass rumbles have a dark ambient quality. Some of Lustmord's most notable collaborations include Robert Rich on the critically acclaimed "Stalker" and experimental sludge group The Melvins on "Pigs Of The Roman Empire".

The Mord isnt interested in making digestible music. He is interested in provoking feelings through frequencies. Yes, now, I love the remixes, now that I know I have to have a decent stereo to hear them with.

btw, what I am "in touch with" is an ability to find what I am looking for, in this case, a reason why Tool let an ambient person remix their rock songs.

Chris_Brightwell
I shouldn't have to research an artist to understand their musicYou don't have to do anything.

Ask yourself this, though. How many Tool songs would you "get" if you didn't research/debate/discuss them?

waffel
actually I hope the new album is more like triad.

paraflux
03-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I shouldn't have to research an artist to understand their music

And the artists shouldnt have to explain themselves to you personally.

waffel
03-07-2006, 12:06 PM
You don't have to do anything.

Ask yourself this, though. How many Tool songs would you "get" if you didn't research/debate/discuss them?

all of them. i didnt listen to tool for the maynard or the lyrical content. that came after i absorbed all the songs. the only thing researching/debating/discussing did was help me understand the lyrics a bit more.

Wretched
03-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Brian "Lustmord" Williams is a musician in the subgenre of dark ambient. He started recording with the industrial ensemble SPK in the early 1980s. He utilizes infrasound -- inaudible frequencies below 20 Hz, which have been known to cause feelings of awe or fear. Lustmord has extracted field recordings made in crypts, caves, and slaughterhouses, and combined it with occasional ritualistic incantations and Tibetan horns. His treatments of acoustic phenomena encased in digitally expanded bass rumbles have a dark ambient quality. Some of Lustmord's most notable collaborations include Robert Rich on the critically acclaimed "Stalker" and experimental sludge group The Melvins on "Pigs Of The Roman Empire".

The Mord isnt interested in making digestible music. He is interested in provoking feelings through frequencies. Yes, now, I love the remixes, now that I know I have to have a decent stereo to hear them with.

btw, what I am "in touch with" is an ability to find what I am looking for, in this case, a reason why Tool let an ambient person remix their rock songs.

To me it comes down to this: Do I like the music? No, I do not. I do like like the remixes though - just not a big fan of some of his other stuff.

I don't really care what he does, I may have mad respect for him (and I had already read that about him, I just thought there was something more important, like "why his music is good.").

I don't think it is good, and you might. To each their own, but I don't think we should have to read something and then go, "Oh, now I like his music." It doesn't work that way. I respect his music, but I think it sucks.

paraflux
03-07-2006, 12:27 PM
What you said is true, however, I despise the lazy mindset that "If I have to work for it, it has to suck."

Chris_Brightwell
03-07-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't think it is good, and you might.I ask you the same thing I ask everyone who says this about Lustmord's stuff:

What gear do you use to listen to him?

If you're using cheap speakers or something, you may literally not be hearing half of the music. It would be like listening to Tool but only hearing Adam and Maynard.

waffel
03-07-2006, 12:51 PM
well after i had to spend 10 minutes figuring out why my wmp didnt play the parabola dvd, downloading nvidias decoder and cracking it, im finally listening to the parabola remix.

and its going no where, im 4 minutes in and its soooooo boring

paraflux
03-07-2006, 12:54 PM
And you are listening to it on computer speakers? With expectations that you wont like it?

waffel
03-07-2006, 12:56 PM
oh now im supposed to spend thousands of dollars on a surround sound system just to "understand" this song. wonderful. thanks for the heads-up.

waffel
03-07-2006, 12:58 PM
ok so, he took the song, slowed it way the fuck down, made it sound kinda spooky and muffled all the lyrics.

what a genius.

paraflux
03-07-2006, 01:14 PM
hopeless. this is like pounding a post into the ground with your fist without having dug a hole first.

The efforts I have made are not to prove you wrong, man. They are to simply try to make you see it in a different light, didnt work, thank you, goodbye.

paraflux
03-07-2006, 01:15 PM

I wouldnt mind it myself, seeing as how Lustmord rules the frequency spectrum.

KJM
03-07-2006, 01:19 PM
Yea ticks and leeches is a pretty shit song. If you like it, that's cool. But I will never understand why anyone thinks it's good.

stinkfish
03-07-2006, 01:19 PM
You don't have to do anything.

I love the song lateralus but I still don't know what the fuck it's about. sitting here discussing it on this forum with people that has no clue what so ever doesn't really help either.

this goes for most tool songs

edit: oh and the nick "lustmord" gives me (and probably most swedes) a bad nu-metal vibe. like some guy calling himself "LustDeath/LustKiller". yeah you're fucking cool.

waffel
03-07-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm sorry, I just dont see the appeal in the remix. I dont mind drawn out songs but usually they climax somewhere.

adda da suh
03-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Yea ticks and leeches is a pretty shit song. If you like it, that's cool. But I will never understand why anyone thinks it's good.

Do you play drums?

tentonmantra
03-07-2006, 01:43 PM

stop sucking lustmordīd dick, man.

anyone has the right to not like him, who gives a fuck about who he is?
if he scared you with his subsonic frequencies of death, well, be a happy scared man then.

"you donīt get him", what a joke....

paraflux
03-07-2006, 02:00 PM
stop sucking lustmordīd dick, man.

anyone has the right to not like him, who gives a fuck about who he is?
if he scared you with his subsonic frequencies of death, well, be a happy scared man then.

"you donīt get him", what a joke....

Please point to where I said that anyone doesnt "get it." All I said was that people dont understand what he does.

I'm not sucking anyone's cock, just because you like something means you suck his cock? wtf, that's pretty elementary, but so it goes around here.

Anyone does have a right to not like him. Fine. However, if those people simply dont understand what he is trying to do, and will subsequently like him, as was the case with me, then perhaps I have helped someone. Anyone who doesnt see this is the "fucking joke" as you so eloquently put it.

paraflux
03-07-2006, 02:01 PM
I'm sorry, I just dont see the appeal in the remix. I dont mind drawn out songs but usually they climax somewhere.

We get it, attention everyone, waffel despises Lustmord.

TurdEye13
03-07-2006, 02:04 PM
And the artists shouldnt have to explain themselves to you personally.

yeah. When did that become required. They just make music.

ATARI
03-07-2006, 02:07 PM
I haven't heard the remixes yet (haven't bought the singles, because I am a cheap bastard) but I have liked Lustmord's stuff in the past, so I'm guessing they'll at least be pretty interesting.

Anyways, I could see this direction, but not both. They kind of counteract each other too much to make an album off of

paraflux
03-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Some would say that last post was "sucking Lustmord's cock" you better watch out.

tentonmantra
03-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Please point to where I said that anyone doesnt "get it." All I said was that people dont understand what he does.

I'm not sucking anyone's cock, just because you like something means you suck his cock? wtf, that's pretty elementary, but so it goes around here.

Anyone does have a right to not like him. Fine. However, if those people simply dont understand what he is trying to do, and will subsequently like him, as was the case with me, then perhaps I have helped someone. Anyone who doesnt see this is the "fucking joke" as you so eloquently put it.

is there a difference between "not understading what someone does" and "not getting someone"? pardon my english since itīs my native language but for me the 2 expressions mean the same.

"sucking dick" is another expression i thought it would fit in this case since you are not ok (you are not) with people not liking lustmosely, you even teached us about his subsonic magik and witchery. seems like you are preaching about the guy, so....

i like tool but i donīt try to "educate" people about them... itīs about taste. and i donīt have to like whoever tool likes because i like tool (and iīm not saying this is your case, itīs just a statement).

or maybe you just happen to be lustmordred and you have to sell your little known records. who knows?

paraflux
03-07-2006, 02:19 PM
is there a difference between "not understading what someone does" and "not getting someone"? pardon my english since itīs my native language but for me the 2 expressions mean the same.
Saying "You dont get it" implies a condescending tone, which your posts are full of, and I try to avoid. Saying "If you dont understand, here's some research" is hardlly condescending, it is a helping hand. If you still dont like it after the research, thats fine, at least I tried.

"sucking dick" is another expression i thought it would fit in this case since you are not ok (you are not) with people not liking lustmosely, you even teached us about his subsonic magik and witchery. seems like you are preaching about the guy, so....
You're being absurd. I am fine with people having their opinions, just not if they reach them out of laziness. If I can help someone like something, is that so ridiculous as you are making it out to be?

i like tool but i donīt try to "educate" people about them... itīs about taste. and i donīt have to like whoever tool likes because i like tool (and iīm not saying this is your case, itīs just a statement).
great.

or maybe you just happen to be lustmordred and you have to sell your little known records. who knows?
great.

tentonmantra
03-07-2006, 02:20 PM
yeah. When did that become required. They just make music.

thatīs a good point, one some paradoxaly seem not to "get" since theories and explanations have been posted... strange. indeed.

"musicians should not explain themselves, so I will explain in their place".

oh picky people we are.

Staticfactory
03-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Have Brightwell and the Flux finally had enough?! This is the first time I've seen such passion and vigor from you two.

I'm going to bet that you guys are just getting sick of the garbage people post.

Lustmord is good shit. Progressive rock/metal is also good shit. That is my own personal (and subjective) opinion on an artist and a genre. I liked them before I had a chance to understand what exactly it was about them that interested me.

I believe there is an element of respect (that I was hinting at earlier) that is required before people start punching away at another garbage post. My comment about slapping "SUCKS" on everything you don't like (Brightwell) was in regards to this subjective nature. Lustmord has earned a lot of respect in the industry, and for good reason. You're allowed to think he sucks all you want, but you don't have the right to brand it as "teh sux". I don't care much for impressionist painting, but I respect artists enough to know that it doesn't SUCK, it just does not appeal to me.

If Tool goes ahead and adds that Lustmord touch to the album, so be it. Some of us will understand it, some of us will like it and some of us will not. I personally think that a little Lustmord would go well with some of the segues. I also think that the drumming on T&L is impressive, to say the least, so more of that is CERTAINLY welcome.

paraflux
03-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Yeah this is getting on my nerves, people coming in here with their mockery and shit.

I dont even mind if people say that things suck, because that is still their opinion. However, if I can turn that opinion around into something positive, then I feel good about doing that and I have no problem trying, initially.

I hated the remixes at first, and I even like ambient music. Problem was, I was listening to them on my shitty computer speakers and couldnt experience what was actually happening. If others can have a similar experience, and I helped, then it was all for good.

Goldfoot
03-07-2006, 02:39 PM
I hated the remixes at first, and I even like ambient music. Problem was, I was listening to them on my shitty computer speakers and couldnt experience what was actually happening. If others can have a similar experience, and I helped, then it was all for good.

I just want to say that I don't like them, but I don't have the means to listen to them on a decent system right now. When I do, I will give them another chance. Right now my only DVD player is on my laptop.

ATARI
03-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Some would say that last post was "sucking Lustmord's cock" you better watch out.

I'm sucking and sucking all i can take

ATARI
03-07-2006, 02:42 PM
sorry, all i can sucking take

waffel
i dont feel like going through the hassel of ripping them to mp3s

paraflux
I just want to say that I don't like them, but I don't have the means to listen to them on a decent system right now. When I do, I will give them another chance. Right now my only DVD player is on my laptop.

And if you end up liking them more, then thank Brightwell for turning me on to them the proper way.

delysid
03-07-2006, 02:44 PM
edit: oh and the nick "lustmord" gives me (and probably most swedes) a bad nu-metal vibe. like some guy calling himself "LustDeath/LustKiller". yeah you're fucking cool.

He's Lustmord and he's been around for 20+ years. How are you going to say that about him/his name? That just pissed me off for some reason.

Some of Lustmord's material is fucking nuts. Its definately not driving in your car or listening on your iPod music. Unless of course, your car has awesome mid-bass and low-bass performance. Get stoned, put some of his material on a badass system, and just listen and FEEL the music. Its remarkable to me.

waffel
03-07-2006, 02:46 PM
BRIGHTWELL PLEASE OPEN MY 3RD EYE

Goldfoot
03-07-2006, 02:47 PM
And if you end up liking them more, then thank Brightwell for turning me on to them the proper way.

I'd like to know more about this frequency aspect so before I listen again I'm gonna read into it.

Staticfactory
03-07-2006, 02:51 PM
I'd like to know more about this frequency aspect so before I listen again I'm gonna read into it.

Get ready for a full-on anxiety attack!

orange.juice
03-07-2006, 02:51 PM
wouldnīt you need a really fucking good audio system to get everything out of Lustmordīs music? Somethin along the lines of an infrasonic subwoofer? The sub-subwoofer? Something that is able to reproduce soundwaves around ~20Hz and even below?

Ryan
03-07-2006, 02:52 PM

nice attempt at sounding condescending, but the remix is a piece of shit. end of story.

paraflux
03-07-2006, 02:52 PM
To get EVERYTHING, perhaps. But my little Sony package-deal sub does the job just fine.

paraflux
03-07-2006, 02:53 PM
nice attempt at sounding condescending, but the remix is a piece of shit. end of story.

Get out of it what you will, perhaps that says more about you than me.

Ryan
03-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Get out of it what you will, perhaps that says more about you than me.

no, the fact that you go about posting bullshit like that and trying to sound high and mighty because you can click a button and delete posts says more about you than anyone, i'm afraid.

Goldfoot
Well, I could rip them and send them to my desktop, but I only have computer speakers there. I'm in college so I haven't even looked into a system yet.

ATARI
wouldnīt you need a really fucking good audio system to get everything out of Lustmordīs music? Somethin along the lines of an infrasonic subwoofer? The sub-subwoofer? Something that is able to reproduce soundwaves around ~20Hz and even below?

Well, obviously there is always room to grow when it comes to getting the best quality out of any band's music regardless. Also, producing lower end HZ like that is pointless anyways, because if they are in that range, most of them (aside from huge bass blasts that might be in certain parts of the song) aren't able to be heard by the human ear.

Although, there is the thing with hearing the things in the room vibrate and the feel of the bass. I see what you're getting at now.

I wouldn't pay that much for a system just to get everything out of any bands music, regardless of how much I like them. You want everything out of their music, go find a friend with that system. :)

Liam
03-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Although, there is the thing with hearing the things in the room vibrate and the feel of the bass. I see what you're getting at now.
thats pretty much the gist of it.. keep in mind that the sub-sonic frequencies still interact with other sound waves, so yes, it would sound subtly different without them.

tentonmantra
03-07-2006, 03:00 PM
public appologies for anyone i may have offended with my bad humour today.

oops.

waffel
03-07-2006, 03:01 PM
the schism remix is like 20 minutes of nothing. Is there some kinda hidden song if you have surround sound system or something? cuz I aint hearin it.

I'd also like to add that the lustmord shit is the worst thing to ever happen to a tool song, aside from the reflection rap from the 11-01-01 concert.

KJM
03-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Do you play drums?

Yea, but that doesn't mean anything. You can't base the quality of a song on the technical ability of it. That's like saying gilmour sucks because he plays slowly.

KJM
03-07-2006, 03:04 PM

That wouldn't be fun. You can't hear 20hz..you'd just feel a rumbling.

paraflux
03-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Half of the fun to going to a small club venue to see a show, for me, is that I get to feel the bass going through my chest.

mike09
03-07-2006, 03:07 PM
aside from the reflection rap from the 11-01-01 concert.

the what-a-what?!?!?

orange.juice
03-07-2006, 03:08 PM
i think of Lustmord as cool, haunting, ambient music.

Still:

Autechre > Lustmord

waffel
03-07-2006, 03:09 PM
the what-a-what?!?!?

http://www.distortiononline.com/content/index2.html

multimedia section, audio page.

KJM
03-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Half of the fun to going to a small club venue to see a show, for me, is that I get to feel the bass going through my chest.

I agree, I worked at a night club. But as far as making music better, a rumbling just doesn't do it for me. What I like to feel is the live instrumentation. It's everything working together making a big intense sound in a live venue. Sitting at home trying to feel a 20hz rumble just wouldn't be the same.

it's more the experience of being at a live show that makes the rumbling fun for me.

dracomordag
03-07-2006, 03:17 PM
I thought the Lustmord remixes were pretty good. One was better than the other, but I forget which.

The whole "inaudible frequency" thing is interesting as well... will have to play them on my high-end (as in quality, not frequency) system and check that out.

orange.juice
03-07-2006, 03:19 PM
There was this experiment a couple of years ago, where a group of musicians wnated to test the effects of infrasonic sound on the audience of a ... what was it they called...contemporary classical piano music or some shit. It was in London, and those guys basically took a huge tube, and put a quality speaker at one end. They installed that thing in the music hall and during certain moments of the concerts, they introduced sub-sound to the audience, which they could not hear. However, they could feel it "emotionally".

here, if youīre interested
http://www.spacedog.biz/infrasonic/experiment.htm

I think it was on Wiki, where in the Lustmord entry there was a description what these subsonic waves would do to people, and it claimed they would initiate feelings of anxiousness and the likes. This infrasonic stuff has been mysterious for a long time now and has led to a variety of hoaxes and speculations, and personally, i think itīs bullshit other than the air vibrating at 10-20 times a second would be recognized by the hair on peopleīs skin, which sounds reasonable. Brown noise, anyone? :D

ATARI
03-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Makes them crap their pants

paraflux
03-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Thanks to those who chose to post something interesting on the subject.

tentonmantra
03-07-2006, 03:25 PM
Makes them crap their pants

i guess mythbusters busted that one.

ATARI
03-07-2006, 03:33 PM
I believe everything I see on South Park.

rank
03-07-2006, 03:34 PM

Especially you.

And also, rest assured that those who throw crap back and forth at eachother arent the only ones reading. Us lurkers get more out of these posts than your typical "very deep thinker"s.

Goldfoot
03-07-2006, 03:34 PM

Is there any truth to the claim that certain frequencies can induce astral moments (or whatever the correct term is)?

ATARI
03-07-2006, 03:35 PM
Is there any truth to the claim that certain frequencies can induce astral moments (or whatever the correct term is)?

alternative to drug usage...?

orange.juice
03-07-2006, 03:36 PM
what do you mean by astral moment?

paraflux
03-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Apparently the military is interested.

http://www.onewithall.net/home/soundfrequency.html

Cynical/Sarcastic
03-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Where can I hear music by Lustmord? Paraflux has interested me now. Thanks.

Goldfoot
03-07-2006, 03:38 PM
what do you mean by astral moment?

Someone on here in some thread (vague, I know) mentioned that Blair was talking about certain frequencies inducing astral projection or something of that sort.

Misanthrope
03-07-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm sorry, I just dont see the appeal in the remix. I dont mind drawn out songs but usually they climax somewhere. Lustmord's entire songs are climaxes.

waffel
03-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Lustmord's entire songs are climaxes.

I must have defective DVDs, because all I hear is rumbling.

ATARI
03-07-2006, 03:43 PM
That'd be your bowels.

2and46
03-07-2006, 03:44 PM
I'd prefer a dash of Opiate, cup of undertow, a pint of aenima, a whole lotta lateralus, and something very existentially original. In other words, I'll know it when I hear it.

orange.juice
03-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Apparently the military is interested.

http://www.onewithall.net/home/soundfrequency.html
This, to me, is one of those hoaxes.

After reading that subsounds could induce certain feelings i got interested and thought of applying it in music, a live performance of a planned band which then failed to do anything (donīt ask).

There are hifi-forums around with quite the discussions on that topic, and these hoaxes are so well accepted by people, because nobody has access to audio eqipment able of creating those frequencies. But you might want to check this baby out:
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2005/10/31/worlds-most-powerful-subwoofer/

Hell, there are even fake reports of military tests in ww2 (yes, the evil germans) about building subsonic weapons, able to destroy tanks and bunkers from miles away, able to bring human organs to explosion. I laughed.

Goldfoot
03-07-2006, 03:50 PM
I don't know if that's too farfetched. If the conditions are right, a bridge can crumble in on itself due to the natural frequency of the bridge or something like that. My professor was just talking about it in calss, but I don't remember specifics.

paraflux
03-07-2006, 03:51 PM
High frequencies can shatter glass, why cant they be used to shatter other things?

orange.juice
03-07-2006, 04:02 PM
thatīs exactly the problem. It sounds somewhat reasonable. Iīm no physics expert by all means, but there are explanations on how and why this whole "incredible powers of sound waves" stuff is bullshit. The hoaxes and fairy tales just seem to overweigh them by quantity, certainly not by quality.

endless_nameless
03-07-2006, 04:42 PM
I listened to both of Lustmord's remixs through headphones, while lying down on my bed with my eyes closed. I thought they were very interesting, both aurally and conceptually; I especially enjoyed the way the lyrics where fragmented and played in a different musical context. I always find that if you listen to a piece of music too many times you can become trapped in your familiarity and no longer appreciate it as a whole, and tend instead to focus only on individual elements of the music. By removing the familiar structure and placing both musical and lyrical motiffs in a different context, I find it helps me appreciate the original composition as a work of art again, as I am listening to the musical ideas and thinking about the lyrics from a new angle, as if for the first time. Hence I found the Lustmord remixes very refreshing, although I think next time I should try it while high.

orange.juice
03-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Anyone who likes Lustmord, and hasnīt been listening to ambient stuff before that, should definitely check out Autechre. Also, high.

dracomordag
03-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Fripp's soundscapes pwn

lachrymoIogy
03-07-2006, 06:58 PM
oh and by the way, I fucking love hearing about the new agressive, meshuggah inspired direction. undertow/aenima >> lateralus any fucking day. you wimps.

ps. the album titlte is still fake Undertow > Opiate < Aenima < Lateralus < 10,000 days.There you go.

dracomordag
03-07-2006, 07:23 PM
Undertow > Opiate < Aenima < Lateralus < 10,000 days.There you go.

this man knows what's up so far

and better be right about what's to come

rank
03-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Speaking of sound frequencies producing intense feelings... Wasnt there a newsletter on toolband at some point that talked about a visit to "area 51" in which they were scared off by an intense feeling of dread? Think it could be related? If Lustmord was able to use the same thing, but put a possitive twist on it...

Interesting thought at least.

Nimh
03-07-2006, 09:34 PM

You gotta be kidding me...that's horrible...

Edit: and the outro is FOREVER!!!

submachine
03-08-2006, 09:52 AM
I wouldnt mind it myself, seeing as how Lustmord rules the frequency spectrum.

Both Ticks and Leeches and Schism Lustmord are epic, atmospheric tracks altering and building up to a crescendo.

I think the greatness of TooL's music is to (or "beyond) the average music fan, as the greatness of Ticks/Lustmord is to (or "beyond") the average TooL fan.

orange.juice
03-08-2006, 10:05 AM
conclusion: you is above the average TooL fan.

I laughed.

dracomordag
03-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Both Ticks and Leeches and Schism Lustmord are epic, atmospheric tracks altering and building up to a crescendo.

I think the greatness of TooL's music is to (or "beyond) the average music fan, as the greatness of Ticks/Lustmord is to (or "beyond") the average TooL fan.

and you alone can understand the higher powers that are these two songs...

or, maybe, other people have different opinions. It's possible...

KJM
03-08-2006, 12:34 PM
I lol when I see people take the time to spell TooL.

Sol Invictus
03-08-2006, 02:01 PM
http://www.myspace.com/lustmord
or buy the tool dvd's they both have remixes by lustmord

dracomordag
03-08-2006, 02:53 PM
I lol when I see people take the time to spell TooL.

especially when it's not like there's an official capitalization.

actually, the closest it gets is normal, aka "Tool". For reference, see every official toolband post ever.

grime_z
03-08-2006, 04:35 PM
I once turned on the lustmord remix in the basement of my family's home. My 7 year old brother wandered down there, wondering what the noise was. My dad accidentally turned the lights out and shut the door, cuz he thought no one was down there. My little brother hasn't been the same since...

To be honest, I love the lustmord mixes. At first i was dissappointed, because I was hoping for more of the standard remix im used to (ie the Hagman remix of H.). Eventually, I learned to embrace these remixes for what they are: ambience. He took tool and created mellow mood ambience, and it sounds great. If you don't like it, that's fine, but I gotta agree w/ flux, you just don't understand it.

tentonmantra
03-08-2006, 05:00 PM
I believe everything I see on South Park.

do you? thatīs a problem...

if you havenīt seen that episode, you should give it a try.
or as a hardcore tool fan you are against tv and oh that makes you sooo coooll.....?

submachine
03-09-2006, 02:08 AM
I once turned on the lustmord remix in the basement of my family's home. My 7 year old brother wandered down there, wondering what the noise was. My dad accidentally turned the lights out and shut the door, cuz he thought no one was down there. My little brother hasn't been the same since...

lol

If you don't like it, that's fine, but I gotta agree w/ flux, you just don't understand it.

I would say they just can't appreciate it.

ArizonaBay
03-09-2006, 06:29 AM

Wow wish i was there to see that

On the balcony

With a sniper rifle

submachine
03-13-2006, 09:57 AM
In addition to Ticks and Leeches (best TooL track)
and Lustmord Schism (Best TooL remake)
Im going to add Pushit from Salival (best live TooL song).

Let these bests form the basis of 10,000 days, and im happy.

Hodge
03-13-2006, 09:57 AM
ticks and leeches = worst song on lateralus, tee hee

Andorion
03-13-2006, 10:24 AM
the what-a-what?!?!?

That's Tricky, btw :)

You know.. the black dude in the Parabola video...

I actually enjoyed his performances live, and the rapping was something different.

Thanks so much for this, I was at that show (11/1/01), that really brings back memories.

v- you sure Chris?

Chris_Brightwell
03-13-2006, 10:34 AM
That's Tricky, btw :)No, it's not.

Chris_Brightwell
03-13-2006, 10:40 AM
you sure Chris?Yes. It's Hawk(man?).

If you want to hear Tricky, listen to Opiate.

Andorion
03-13-2006, 10:42 AM
Yes. It's Hawk(man?).

If you want to hear Tricky, listen to Opiate.

No shit, reading up on Hawkman and Tricky... I was far enough away from the stage where I couldn't tell who was who =) Thanks dude.

TurdEye13
03-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Schism remix was better than the Parabol/Parabola one.

dracomordag
03-13-2006, 04:04 PM
In addition to Ticks and Leeches (best TooL track)
and Lustmord Schism (Best TooL remake)
Im going to add Pushit from Salival (best live TooL song).

Let these bests form the basis of 10,000 days, and im happy.

and lo, the prophet handed down the proclomations, and they were made law.

Paradigm619
03-13-2006, 04:58 PM
Yes, now, I love the remixes, now that I know I have to have a decent stereo to hear them with.

Just so you know, pretty much 99% of stereos/amps/mics/electronic devices don't have a frequency response that reaches below 20 Hz or above 20,000 Hz. So therefore unless you're hearing him live and he's playing an acoustic instrument emitting those sub-20Hz frequencies, you'll never experience those auditory feelings of "awe or fear."

ATARI
03-13-2006, 05:26 PM
do you? thatīs a problem...

if you havenīt seen that episode, you should give it a try.
or as a hardcore tool fan you are against tv and oh that makes you sooo coooll.....?

i don't believe it

timifendrix
03-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Who is Hawkman? I can't seem to find any info on him? That show sounds like it must have been pretty cool though.

rimb
03-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Who is Hawkman? I can't seem to find any info on him? That show sounds like it must have been pretty cool though.

He's a rapper that guested on Tricky's Blowback album. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricky#Trivia

It was a pretty cool show (wasn't there, just heard the bootleg), although some people strongly disagree.

submachine
03-13-2006, 08:02 PM
and lo, the prophet handed down the proclomations, and they were made law.

Ayyymen!

Myriad: Days To Come
03-14-2006, 08:28 AM
i don't believe it

First off, the Album or Song?

Second... where is he featured and what should we be listening for?

submachine
03-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Schism remix was better than the Parabol/Parabola one.

Thats why I listed it, it actually progessed.

submachine
03-28-2006, 12:49 AM
"the 11-track "10,000 Days" sports a number of epic tunes, particularly "Rosetta Stoned" and "10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2)," both of which clock in at 11:14. Near the end of the disc are the substantially lengthy "Intension" (7:21) and "Right in Two" (8:56)."

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002237083

Nice

Natalie Portman
03-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Tricky's Blowback was pretty fucking awesome, actually. I got into him when he opened for TOOL. He was one of the best opening acts I've ever seen. Plus he's in The Fifth Element, so he gets points for that too.

ruethewhirl
03-28-2006, 01:25 AM
Tricky's Blowback was pretty fucking awesome, actually. I got into him when he opened for TOOL. He was one of the best opening acts I've ever seen. Plus he's in The Fifth Element, so he gets points for that too.

Maxinquaye blows that album away. His first and best. There was a time when Bristol was a good place to be...

Natalie Portman
03-28-2006, 01:32 AM
I never listened to Maxinquaye... but I wasn't a huge fan of his post Blowback stuff. If you happen to be a fan of his, do you know if he has anything else that sounds similar to Blowback?

submachine
03-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Tricky only had a few good tracks:

Tricky - Christiansands
Tricky - Black Steel
Tricky - A Lonely Place
Tricky - Tricky Likes The Girls
Tricky - Tonight (Gravediggaz)
Depeche Mode - Stripped (Tricky remix)