PDA

View Full Version : Interesting theory behind '10,000 Days'...

NoD
03-04-2006, 09:44 AM
After some more digging, Atlantis ("Plato described Atlantis as alternating rings of sea and land, with a palace in the center 'bull's eye'. [This seems to be a metaphor for the theory of consciousness spiraling around a central source of creation - Sacred Geometry - Phi Ratio.]") has been very much connected to Lemuria, "The fate of Lemuria, also known as Pacifica, Mu, and what Cayce called Zu or Oz, is not unlike that proposed for Atlantis. It is much like the destiny of humanity foreseen in our timeline by prophets of old and modern-day clairvoyants. The legends are all the same ... a thriving, advanced culture that suddenly manifested out of nowhere. Their origins and downfall are linked to destruction when their continent sank beneath the 'sea' due to natural cataclyms and human imbalance."

Now, where the hell am I going with this? Well...

The idea of the Lemurian continent first appeared in the works of Augustus Le Plongeon, (1826-1908) a 19th century researcher and writer who conducted investigations of the Maya ruins in the Yucatan. He announced that he had translated ancient Mayan writings, which allegedly showed that the Maya of Yucatan were older than the later civilizations of Atlantis and Egypt, and additionally told the story of an even older continent of Mu, whose survivors founded the Maya civilization.

Given the strong tribal impressions of the album, this might be a reference to the myths of Altantis and Mu, in which Herakles(Hercules) plays a Huge role...

great read----> http://www.mysteriousworld.com/Journal/2002/Spring/Atlantis/

The priest then revealed the nature of the heroic deed that the Athenian Greeks had accomplished so many thousands of years ago, before their race was nearly wiped out by The Great Flood. There was, 9,000 years before the time even of Solon (600 b.c.), a great continent situated in the great sea west of the "Pillars of Hercules." This great continent was as large as Libya and Asia Minor combined and was known as "Atlantis," from which the Atlantic Ocean took its name. The inhabitants of this great continent, the Atlanteans, had become arrogant with power, and sought to subjugate all of Europe and Asia and assimilate it into their domain. And they would have succeeded, were it not for the heroic deeds of the ancient Athenians, whom the priest described as "pre-eminent in courage and military skill," winning against all odds and driving the Atlanteans back into the sea:

A Lost Paradise

Most of the information we have about Atlantis comes from the ancient Greek philosopher Plato. He says that Atlantis lay west of the Pillars of Hercules (rock formations at the Straits of Gibraltar), in the Atlantic Ocean. On this huge island was a "great and wonderful empire" where brave, virtuous people lived in a kind of paradise.

But this peaceful existence came to an end when the people of Atlantis began to love power more than they loved the gods. They waged war against the rest of the world, but were ultimately defeated by the wise and moral Athenians. Then, some 9,000 years before Plato's own time, or around 9,500 B.C.E., earthquakes sunk Atlantis into the sea.

....learn to swim?

"Nobody seems to have to have thought of the clearest indication given by Plato - that of an island at the mouth of the Pillars of Hercules."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/1554594.stm

And now the big kicker:

Hercules is the fifth largest of the 88 modern constellations. It was also one of Ptolemy's 48 constellations. It was named after the Roman name (Hercules) of the Greek mythological hero Herakles.

Notable features

Hercules has no first magnitude stars.

Mu Herculis is 27.4 light years from Earth.

Mu Herculis takes precisely 10,000 days to get there traveling at the speed of light.
http://www.answers.com/topic/hercules-in-astronomy

links with info i recommend reading if interested:
http://www.crystalinks.com/atlantistheories.html
http://www.crystalinks.com/lemuria.html
http://forums.atlantisrising.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000373-14.html

Do the pieces fit?

Jesus Knievel
03-04-2006, 09:48 AM
can you sum it up into a paragraph or less?!/!

steve99_9
03-04-2006, 09:49 AM
.....thank you?

Boozy Eulogist
03-04-2006, 09:51 AM
God I wish I could say simple things and have masses sit there and give me 10,000 different reasons why I said what I did.

I would love dancing puppets!

grime_z
03-04-2006, 09:52 AM
Well, that was actually really interesting... thanks for that.

Chris Myth
03-04-2006, 09:55 AM
seems probably coincidental, but definitely material that would interest the band no less... and that was enlightening either way, good research.

InertUniformity
03-04-2006, 10:02 AM
this is pretty cool stuff - I would say that its a reach however.

(-) Thoth
03-04-2006, 10:16 AM
I don't think it's too much of reach considering the sacred geometry symbols tool has used in concert, and previous albums. Though, I'd still rather the title be something either then 10,000 Days.

Hodge
03-04-2006, 10:22 AM
good ole hercules

RacecaR123
03-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Mine isn't as in depth, but a lot of people are making political references to this title. There was a book written in 1981 (10,000 days ago approx.) by Kenneth Royce called '10,000 Days". 1981 is also the same year that Reagan became president of the States. If you recall in the "Kerrang!" interview DC mentions how they were pissed off again like they were when Reagan was around...now I'm definitely far more interested in the initial post on this thread...but I thought I would throw this in as well.

the usual
03-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Interesting....maybe maynard's the incarnate of hercules and he's mortally bound to take out the modern atlantians(us....the U.S.)
It should only take him about.........'drum roll please'....................10,000 days to defeat us. oh i mean The U.S.
.................................................. .interesting no the less

TTM
03-04-2006, 12:28 PM
didnt read ittttttt

Harry Manback
03-04-2006, 12:38 PM
didnt read ittttttt

Then what was the point in replying?

I read it and it was very interesting. Thank you for taking your time to research and write that.

fripptronic
03-04-2006, 06:27 PM
good stuff NoD, if it turns out you nailed this i'll by you a beer.

dracomordag
03-04-2006, 06:27 PM
A lot of metaphors for the supposed themes of the record, yet I don't know how much of a reach this is.

Then again, a lot of the themes on previous records are pretty out there, but I don't know.

I definately doubt they'll specifically sing about Atlantis or Hercules, but there may be a few oblique references

Lamb & Martyr^
03-04-2006, 06:30 PM
Thats great man, I love that kind of shit. It makes you really start thinking.

stinkfish
03-04-2006, 06:35 PM
l'm gonna laugh my ass off when they release the real album title after you guys been wasting hours googling and analyzing this shit thinking you're smart.

Please remember I wrote this the day it gets released. Remember and feel embarrassed.

ps. didn't even bother reading the first post.

slamminsalmon
03-04-2006, 06:36 PM
everyone knows tool is a band of aliens...

dawn
03-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Phenomenal thread. I give it a 10.

Although, I don't know that it would be fitting of political content...

KILL_CLOWNS
03-04-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm really skeptical that it'll even be called 10,000 days, I think its a hoax. I'm not saying I don't like it, just that I won't really know until I own the album.

InertUniformity
03-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Whatever the title is ( I assume and hope at this point that the title is 10,000 Days) I'd bet that track 7 is the title track (if there is one)....

Pure speculation based on the andy king interview...we'll see if im right (hopefully soon.)

That actually gets me thinking...if the cover art is going to leak soon...the tracklist probably will too no?

stinkfish
03-05-2006, 12:48 AM
l'm gonna laugh my ass off when they release the real album title after you guys been wasting hours googling and analyzing this shit thinking you're smart.

Please remember I wrote this the day it gets released. Remember and feel embarrassed.

NukeAJS
03-05-2006, 12:57 AM
10,000 days is 27.39726027397260273972602739726 years. Notice the irrational number ...

I dunno, might be something to do with it. A literary meaning is WAY too googlable. Copying and pasting 10,000 days into google is not cool and I doubt that if there is some arbitrary, abstract meaning to the name of the album it won't be discovered by something as lame as googling it.

stinkfish
03-05-2006, 01:07 AM
10,000 days is 27.39726027397260273972602739726 years. Notice the irrational number ...

I dunno, might be something to do with it. A literary meaning is WAY too googlable. Copying and pasting 10,000 days into google is not cool and I doubt that if there is some arbitrary, abstract meaning to the name of the album it won't be discovered by something as lame as googling it.

not literary. if people like you can turn "10.000 days" inside fucking out and use it as a metaphor to anything, everything and nothing you should be able to read between the lines of my post.

Tertius Oculum
03-05-2006, 01:21 AM
So the Mayan civilization was founded by a race of aliens that originally lived on Mu Herculis?

Hmm.

steve99_9
03-05-2006, 01:41 AM
not literary. if people like you can turn "10.000 days" inside fucking out and use it as a metaphor to anything, everything and nothing you should be able to read between the lines of my post.
wow chill out, let people do what they want to do

kharn
03-05-2006, 03:41 AM
-deleted post, as I saw something in rumours.

Rotating_Energy_Field
03-05-2006, 04:53 AM
Quite an interesting theory.

In regards to Atlantis, check out a book by Rand Flem Ath and Colin Wilson called "The Atlantis Blueprint". It's amazing, probably the most interesting book on Atlantis I've ever read. Anyone familiar with Bob Frissell's theory of the earth pole shift change will relate to this book straight away as the research of the two authors suggests that Atlantis has never been discovered because of the fact that there has already been a pole shift change and that the city of Atlantis was destroyed because of it, burying the ruins under the current North Pole ice caps.

Nothing to do with Tool but I just thought you might find it interesting.

2and46
03-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Well done NoD. How about a concept album based loosely on this? I could see Tool going way progressive. Maybe inter-twining a little present day political "angst". If this proves true, you should get some sort of an award.

khemystri
03-05-2006, 08:50 AM
If my calculations are correct (which are probably not)
10,000 days before the release date (May 2, 2006)
is Dec 2, 1978

Am I right?? need confirmation.
Is there some significance to this date????

Hodge
03-05-2006, 08:57 AM
yea, i can't tell you though so dig deeper

Lackymacky
03-05-2006, 09:45 AM
plus didnt maynard say that in previous albums he was warning people of the sky falling and now hes just going to let it hit their head?

maybe the whole atlantis thing is tied in to the end of our days, hence the political/angst/angry aspect

i really doubt it would be touched on literally, but maybe a few metaphors to symbolize our time

[edit] interesting find, but i agree, big reach

STA
03-05-2006, 09:47 AM
is Dec 2, 1978

Streisand and Diamond's "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" goes #1.

http://www.brainyhistory.com/events/1978/december_2_1978_151244.html

slamminsalmon
03-05-2006, 09:58 AM
So the Mayan civilization was founded by a race of aliens that originally lived on Mu Herculis?

Hmm.

and tool came to earth to convert us all to mayans before the end of the world in 2012

/V\agina
03-05-2006, 10:35 AM
If I recall correctly, did they actually say that the lyrical content was going to be political? I thought Maynard just said that he's pissed off about our president, etc.. He didn't say he sang about it. Maybe his anger has just given him influence to make this a heavier album.

I guess we'll all see.

I love that theory NoD. Well done.

....Maybe 10,000 days is the fabled decoy album? Perhaps we're all going to get used to the idea that the album is political, and then they'll drop a bomb on us.

orange.juice
03-05-2006, 10:51 AM
...by releasing a concept album about chocolate cookies and potatoes.

KILL_CLOWNS
03-05-2006, 11:09 AM
That actually gets me thinking...if the cover art is going to leak soon...the tracklist probably will too no?

Actually I doubt it. Usually the entire album art and liner notes don't leak. Just the front cover, and by leak, its basically released to sites like amazon and such. So its not really a leak.

SpiralOutKeepGoing
03-05-2006, 11:14 AM
everyone knows tool is a band of aliens...

I thought that was The Mars Volta?

dracomordag
03-05-2006, 11:17 AM
I thought that was The Mars Volta?

that explains a lot LOL MEJICANOS!!!! AIII!

noisetherapy
03-05-2006, 11:29 AM
id enjoy a mars volta / tool tour sometime. i had tickets to MV / APC but maynard got sick for pacific northwest shows. boo.

mike09
03-05-2006, 11:29 AM
...by releasing a concept album about chocolate cookies and potatoes.

that'd be hot

mike09
03-05-2006, 12:03 PM
or you know, 10,000 Days could be a fake title making a joke out of how long it took for the album to come out. I see that as the most likely possibility.

adda da suh
03-05-2006, 07:17 PM
Phenomenal thread. I give it a 10.

Although, I don't know that it would be fitting of political content...

If you read the Lost Paradise quote section of the first post, This could be a parallel to America, and how greed and power is dragging the U.S down. Also it mentions attacking the world, and something about being sucked up by an earthquake.

They could most definitely use Atalntis as a metaphor for our country, save for the earthquake...at least for know.

But...it could just be crazytalk on my part, especiaally if this is not a real album title.

zenkinet
03-05-2006, 07:22 PM
If you read the Lost Paradise quote section of the first post, This could be a parallel to America, and how greed and power is dragging the U.S down. Also it mentions attacking the world, and something about being sucked up by an earthquake.

They could most definitely use Atalntis as a metaphor for our country, save for the earthquake...at least for know.

But...it could just be crazytalk on my part, especiaally if this is not a real album title.
Lost Paradise?
Wasn't there something about Milton's Paradise Lost floating around in the rumour mill? something ..... Obscure; to think of it wasn't it about the fall of eden a fall of paradise, sort of like Atlantis? and if I push it further the fall of the western world.

intoxic8
03-06-2006, 09:57 AM
lol maynard = chicken little

good digging dude, i wouldnt be suprised if the album mixes atlantean mythology with current politics, i mean the atlanteans weren't too different from the Americans (no offence meant to the american's on this board)
i think there's a book on the Vietnam war called 10,000 days.

the band are quite anti-reagan and definately anti-Bush 1 and 2.

Staticfactory
03-06-2006, 10:36 AM

If you didn't bother reading the post, don't bother replying with your pretentiously asinine and cynical comments.

At least people are interested enough in the inspiration behind the supposed title to use their minds effectively and educate themselves on a [possible] underlying theme.

You, however, have nothing better to do than be a douchebag. I highly doubt you'll show your 'face' here if the album is, in fact, "10,000 Days." At least, I hope not.

Staticfactory
03-06-2006, 10:49 AM
is Dec 2, 1978

I believe it works out to December 17, 1978.

Either way, considering the fact that TOOL likes to push their release dates around, using May 2nd for any such calculation would be a long shot. I can't see them theming their album around the date it was released minus 10,000 days. Especially considering they wanted to release it in April, initially.

Also, whoever posted about the book "10,000 days" from 1981 will notice that this leaves over 2 years of deviation. Hardly 'approximately' enough for my taste.

khemystri
03-06-2006, 11:55 AM
I believe it works out to December 17, 1978.

Either way, considering the fact that TOOL likes to push their release dates around, using May 2nd for any such calculation would be a long shot. I can't see them theming their album around the date it was released minus 10,000 days. Especially considering they wanted to release it in April, initially.

Also, whoever posted about the book "10,000 days" from 1981 will notice that this leaves over 2 years of deviation. Hardly 'approximately' enough for my taste.

WAIT... ran it again.... now im getting Dec. 16th?????
is it 17th or 16th....... ahhhhh who cares.....

Probably a HUGE waste of time.

MoreTool
03-06-2006, 12:06 PM
probably

Wretched
03-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Indeed it could be.

ladder_alice_11
03-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Lost Paradise?
Wasn't there something about Milton's Paradise Lost floating around in the rumour mill? something ..... Obscure; to think of it wasn't it about the fall of eden a fall of paradise, sort of like Atlantis? and if I push it further the fall of the western world.

And then Blair goes and mentions an earthquake in one of his latest posts?

"One emailer thought the 'gun' actually fired a measured shot of tequila (what kind of fantasy world is this kid living in!). Actually, it's just a glorified bottle with the makers capitalizing on the play of words "shot of tequila." Still, it is a rather nice item if you can find one. The one AJ gave me for my birthday (a pistol) is still sitting on my kitchen table, and, remarkably, hasn't been 'fired' yet (looking over at it...) No, I should probably save it in case of an earthquake."

Straight from Toolband. Of course, I'm insanely paranoid about something I can't place my finger on.

Please tell me this is only a coincidence? The last two larger posts on Toolband over the past couple of days have been even more vague and random than usual. I know that that is right on par for Blair. But I don't know.

Just say, "you're wrong." That's what I want to hear. haha.

anyways....

zenkinet
03-06-2006, 12:25 PM
And then Blair goes and mentions an earthquake in one of his latest posts?

"One emailer thought the 'gun' actually fired a measured shot of tequila (what kind of fantasy world is this kid living in!). Actually, it's just a glorified bottle with the makers capitalizing on the play of words "shot of tequila." Still, it is a rather nice item if you can find one. The one AJ gave me for my birthday (a pistol) is still sitting on my kitchen table, and, remarkably, hasn't been 'fired' yet (looking over at it...) No, I should probably save it in case of an earthquake."

Straight from Toolband. Of course, I'm insanely paranoid about something I can't place my finger on.

Please tell me this is only a coincidence? The last two larger posts on Toolband over the past couple of days have been even more vague and random than usual. I know that that is right on par for Blair. But I don't know.

Just say, "you're wrong." That's what I want to hear. haha.

anyways....

no ones is really wrong at this point.

ladder_alice_11
03-06-2006, 12:38 PM
no ones is really wrong at this point.

Simple, yet comforting.

Thanks Zenk.

zenkinet
03-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Simple, yet comforting.

Thanks Zenk.
your welcome.