PDA

View Full Version : Impending Disappointment (?)

PARADIA
03-03-2006, 06:33 PM
Is anyone other than me starting to fear a little bit somewhere in the back of their mind that maybe once the album comes out they will realize that all the hoping wasn't worth it?

I mean, there has been so much speculation (and utter bullshit) as to how the new album will be from every aspect that the excitement of knowing that something new is on the way has worn off a bit.

I also think that some of the "official" news is shit (the release of the single, album, etc.). I question whether or not the release will actually be titled "10,000 Days". Something just doesn't seem right about that, but chances are I will be proven wrong.

Bottom line, I am afraid that after I listen to the new album a couple times through I will say to myself "hmm, I need some Lateralus right about now." I, personally, am most excited to be able to see one of the greatest live shows on the planet again.

I don't mean to be a fucktard by all of this, but it's just something that has been on my mind.

Ryan
03-03-2006, 06:35 PM
I don't mean to be a fucktard by all of this, but it's just something that has been on my mind.

you have every right to be concerned. maynard was responsible for eMOTIVe, and now he's talking about politics in tool. to top things off, we've received a fairly tasteless and unappealing "official" album title.

how could anyone not feel some sort of trepidation at this point?

forty6&two
03-03-2006, 06:36 PM
i'm having the exact same feelings, but i still think it will be amazing, but there is that small chance it will blow. But its like that for every anticipated record

Noob_Jones
03-03-2006, 06:37 PM
you have every right to be concerned. maynard was responsible for eMOTIVe, and now he's talking about politics in tool. to top things off, we've received a fairly tasteless and unappealing "official" album title.

Exactly. I have never really waited years for an album to drop before ... Maynard better not shit ontop of what I am sure will be great instrumentals.

PARADIA
03-03-2006, 06:37 PM
i'm having the exact same feelings, but i still think it will be amazing, but there is that small chance it will blow. But its like that for every anticipated record
I doubt it will "blow" - it is Tool we are talking about. I just worry it won't be what I have been hoping for.

Madklikor
03-03-2006, 06:38 PM
maynard was responsible for eMOTIVe

How can you hold a singer responsible for an album on which he doesn't sing on 1/3 of the songs?

The album won't blow. At worst, it will be good. But good isn't enough for Tool.

Hman
If you keep your expectations very high it will suck.

Ryan
How can you hold a singer responsible for an album on which he doesn't sing on 1/3 of the songs?

you know what i meant.

here, i'll rephrase it just for you:

maynard was involved with eMOTIVe.

maneva
03-03-2006, 06:42 PM
the title does bother me. personally, i'm not happy with anything maynard's done since lateralus, hopefully he hasn't lost his touch completely.

vic1torious
03-03-2006, 06:49 PM
the title does bother me. personally, i'm not happy with anything maynard's done since lateralus, hopefully he hasn't lost his touch completely.
it's probably because he hasn't done acid since then. now that he's written all the tool lyrics and dropped all the acid to do so, i'm sure it will all be fine.

Noob_Jones
03-03-2006, 06:52 PM
The reason Maynards lyrics are so good with Tool, IMO, is because he had great instrumentals to guide him.

PARADIA
03-03-2006, 06:56 PM
The reason Maynards lyrics are so good with Tool, IMO, is because he had great instrumentals to guide him.
Anything is better than drum loops and shitty synthesized bass.

gerbil
03-03-2006, 07:00 PM
You're the one responsible for your disappointment and your happiness, in the end. If you put too much anticipation into this, of course you're going to be disappointed.

If you think that politics is lame. Then you're an idiot. Politics is not two men in suits arguing. Politics is the way you life and the things that affect you. Religion is political. The friends you have is political. The people you trust... It's all based on politics. The idea that something political is unimportant is ridiculous.

fraz
03-03-2006, 07:03 PM
emotive would have been pretty good if the music didn't suck and maynard sang all the songs. I have the feeling this album will be quite brutal which makes me think it's going to be better than lateralus.

bring it on.

Ticks and Leeches
03-03-2006, 07:04 PM
with a name like 10,000 days, i think we're all having our doubts

flipmojo
03-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Is anyone other than me starting to fear a little bit somewhere in the back of their mind that maybe once the album comes out they will realize that all the hoping wasn't worth it?

No.

KJM
03-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Why do people make these threads in this section. I don't understand. Isn't this the news forum for the new album?

mike09
03-04-2006, 06:35 AM
Threadstarter, I feel the same way. It's all a bunch of little dissapointments so far and you fear that the album will be the biggest dissapointment of them all. Personally, I think the album is going to kick some major ass, though.

TOOLEK
03-04-2006, 06:49 AM
Although APC's last album was a disappointment for some people, Tool's new album won't be... Such talented musicians as Carey, Jones and Chancellor can't have produced anything disappointing especially taking into consideration the fact they had been working on this music so long. If it is about Maynard, to me, he sings about different matters as an APC vocalist and Tool's vocalist. APC has pop-like texts, Tool is much more serious and talks about different matters. Even if there really is a political song on this new labum it won't definitely be a disappintment. I believe Tool will prove how great band they are not only to all of You, but the whole world. Looking forward to it....

steve99_9
03-04-2006, 06:51 AM
uh huh...oh no, a kinda crappy album name MUST mean the album will be a complete failure!!

dracomordag
03-04-2006, 06:54 AM
you people are so ridiculous

the thread starter was logical, but the rest of you complaining about MJK "losing his touch" and tearing down APC are out of your minds. I'm not going to try to defend APC because each person likes their own music, but...

to assume that one person involved in another project will greatly affect another seperate entity is kind of stupid...

I'm a big fan of Dream Theater, but James LaBrie's solo album wasn't so hot. Porcupine Tree is good, but No-Man doesn't do too much for me.

Different bands are different bands... get used to it.

I'm more worried about all these tales of the album being extremely heavy than anything else, yet I'm still pretty sure it'll be good.

mike09
03-04-2006, 07:01 AM
I'd like to add that there are (lots of) people who think Lateralus lyrics are utter crap and that Lateralus is a crap name.

They're probably commies.

Wretched
03-04-2006, 07:01 AM
I think the album will be good, and I don't sit here worried about it. When it comes out, it'll be different then the other albums - the always are - but I'll buy it none the less, and it may just be brilliant. It's just an album, not my life.

Rav
03-04-2006, 07:03 AM

What would you rather have had?

Seriously...is Aldararia any better? The album name is but one part of the whole package. Judge the new release when you've heard it.

champion
03-04-2006, 07:11 AM
Judging by Tool's track record (five unbelievable and different albums), I'd say it likely won't be disappointing.

2and46
03-04-2006, 07:22 AM
Let's not speculate over an album we haven't heard yet. It's o.k. to have some worries, but I'm not going to comment on an album that hasn't even been released.

LoKi
03-04-2006, 08:38 AM
you know what i meant.

here, i'll rephrase it just for you:

maynard was involved with eMOTIVe.

wouldn't you rather he got it out of his system with that?

Zim-Zum
03-04-2006, 08:48 AM
u heard the word political and u run paranoid. political dosen't mean that we will have songs talkin bout Bush or Condy.Aenima was political in some songs ,Undertow too,does this make'em bad ?! u all waiting for Lateralus II this won't be Lateralus II it's just '10,000 days' and it will be good and different.

dawn
03-04-2006, 09:08 AM
I do have my concerns, but I think it'll rock. They're pretty consistent in their sound...

ChrisBurnham
03-04-2006, 09:42 AM
I doubt it, but maybe. Almost every band has a clunker at some point in their respective careers, so it's not out of the question. But on the flip-side, the band dosen't continue pumping out releases annually, so there's less chances for something to sound like a retread.

theone333
03-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Let's not speculate over an album we haven't heard yet. It's o.k. to have some worries, but I'm not going to comment on an album that hasn't even been released.

the quoted post above is probably the best and most rational post thats ever graced this whole motherfucking forum.

cheers dude.

paraflux
03-04-2006, 10:21 AM
you people are so ridiculous

Cynical/Sarcastic
03-04-2006, 10:31 AM
I hate tool anyway, so in a mean, kind of cruel way, I hope they put out a POS album so I can stop hearing about how tool are the greatest band in the world. They're an alright 90's band way past their prime. Hopefully they'll quit while they're ahead, but I'm sure they won't. Adam will continue to put out drop D, power chord crap, justin will continue to do nothing, maynard will bitch and wine about being a multimillionaire, and Danny will continue to be an extremely talented drummer stuck in a band with dipshits.

Flame away.

*yawns*

paraflux
03-04-2006, 10:31 AM
haha, that was classic. Thanks for that, I needed it.

T-13h
03-04-2006, 10:33 AM
I hate tool anyway, so in a mean, kind of cruel way, I hope they put out a POS album so I can stop hearing about how tool are the greatest band in the world. They're an alright 90's band way past their prime. Hopefully they'll quit while they're ahead, but I'm sure they won't. Adam will continue to put out drop D, power chord crap, justin will continue to do nothing, maynard will bitch and wine about being a multimillionaire, and Danny will continue to be an extremely talented drummer stuck in a band with dipshits.

Flame away.

B-B-BUT WHAT ABOUT ABOUT MY THIRD EYE?

U = teh suxxor, my friend, u = teh suxxor

Cynical/Sarcastic
03-04-2006, 12:05 PM
haha, that was classic. Thanks for that, I needed it.

You're welcome.

Harry Manback
03-04-2006, 12:32 PM

Flame away.

Why do you waste your time on a forum dedicated to a band that you hate? That's pretty pathetic.

lachrymoIogy
03-04-2006, 12:40 PM

because i have more faith than you apparently, and im not so naive to believe that they're somehow going to just "fuck this up". If they do, it's the end of tool. and that's not going to happen, so have no fear.

REVMJK4EVER
03-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Ryan you are really an idiot if you think an albums gonna suck because of it's title.

alexmarcy
03-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Ryan you are really an idiot if you think an albums gonna suck because of it's title.

Remember when they came out with lateralus and they supplied a fake title? You can't really base anything off of that title, or any other title until it is official for sure, and Blair took down the post, it was probably just to get people all riled up, which has worked well.

REVMJK4EVER
03-04-2006, 06:22 PM
it's still on toolarmy as an exclusive.

dracomordag
03-04-2006, 06:30 PM
it's still on toolarmy as an exclusive.

It's amazing how much this has had to be said....

zenkinet
03-04-2006, 06:31 PM
It's amazing how much this has had to be said....
some people just don't get it.

maneva
03-05-2006, 12:04 AM

i don't think anyone said that the album's going to truly suck because of its title, just that they're starting to worry a bit, which IS understandable.

kaiowas_is
03-05-2006, 12:57 AM

no expectations no disapointments, but there has been quite a big build towards the new album mainly because of how long it has taken, eMOTIVe sucked cause it was fairly rushed, all good things take time... so im hoping

tDoXoMl
03-05-2006, 12:58 AM
tools message is that it doesnt matter the price. because, it wasn't an exclusive on toolarmy. and also, the more these rumors happen the more you'll get fucked in your ass. and 10'000 days probably isnt the title

jackfriday
03-05-2006, 07:12 AM
13th step was beautiful.
now eMotive on the other hand....

ArizonaBay
03-05-2006, 08:51 AM
How can anyone hold Maynard responsible for how much Emotive sucked. He doesnt write the music and the songs were covers. The best song on that album was Passive which wasnt a cover (correct me if im wrong here) so I wouldnt worry too much about Maynard losing his touch. And anyway ive always thought that APC were just Maynards way of making money between Tool albums and not to be taken that seriously anyway.

PARADIA
03-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Why do people make these threads in this section. I don't understand. Isn't this the news forum for the new album?
Isn't this about the new album?

Systolic
03-05-2006, 09:36 AM

Smart man.

slamminsalmon
03-05-2006, 10:05 AM

agreed, and i think its great.....tool has millions of loyal followers, and now they are all questioning if tool is so great because of just announcing an album name that imo has potential

ha i love tool

dracomordag
03-05-2006, 10:18 AM
How can anyone hold Maynard responsible for how much Emotive sucked. He doesnt write the music and the songs were covers. The best song on that album was Passive which wasnt a cover (correct me if im wrong here) so I wouldnt worry too much about Maynard losing his touch. And anyway ive always thought that APC were just Maynards way of making money between Tool albums and not to be taken that seriously anyway.

I agree with you, except I do think that APC is a pretty serious project for Maynard.

And Passive was not entirely original, either. It was a studio version of a Tapeworm (a planned project featuring Keenan, Reznor and Lohner that never came to fruition due to contractual issues) song that APC did live a few times.

ArizonaBay
03-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Well im sure Maynard takes APC quite seriously but theyve always seemed to be just a clever piece of marketing. Maynards voice is a unique selling point that may be missed by people who find Tool too obscure, APC are kinda Maynard for the Masses if you will.

Cynical/Sarcastic
03-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Well im sure Maynard takes APC quite seriously but theyve always seemed to be just a clever piece of marketing. Maynards voice is a unique selling point that may be missed by people who find Tool too obscure, APC are kinda Maynard for the Masses if you will.

Has Maynard turned into the wafers given by priests during Mass?

ArizonaBay
03-05-2006, 11:57 AM
i mean as in people, im sure you knew that really.

Cynical/Sarcastic
03-05-2006, 12:22 PM
i mean as in people, im sure you knew that really.

My attempts at humor can be lame sometimes. *walks away*

paraflux
03-05-2006, 06:25 PM
You're welcome.
Speaking to All_One_Mind, but whatever.

Cynical/Sarcastic
03-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Speaking to All_One_Mind, but whatever.

Sorry.

paraflux
03-05-2006, 07:30 PM
I wasnt clear, no problem.

Winner
03-05-2006, 08:07 PM
wouldn't you rather he got it out of his system with that?

good point, though puscifer was released after eMOTIVe and it was pretty uninspired, in my opinion

magnolia
03-06-2006, 10:14 PM
Bottom line, I am afraid that after I listen to the new album a couple times through I will say to myself "hmm, I need some Lateralus right about now."
I too, am a Lateralus man... but I don't think the new album will disappoint me. I like each of Tool's albums in their own way. Also, what I've heard about the new album (in that it is Meshuggah influenced, and guitar-heavy), is keeping me very excited. What I'm most afraid of is APC's influence on Maynard's vocals. I really REALLY don't want him to sound anything like he does with APC. I don't want Tool to become nu-metal.

Liam
03-06-2006, 10:48 PM
lol. Great logic.

I've been here since the forum started, and back then I still liked Tool. I still come here today because I enjoy the discussion and the individuals that frequent the board, not the band that the site is based on. But I apologize Harry, how dare I speak my dissenting opinion on a forum like this. From now on, I'll only post opinions that conform to the status quo.

hook, line and sinker..

SyzygyOfMyMind
03-06-2006, 10:51 PM

I mean, there has been so much speculation (and utter bullshit) as to how the new album will be from every aspect that the excitement of knowing that something new is on the way has worn off a bit.

I also think that some of the "official" news is shit (the release of the single, album, etc.). I question whether or not the release will actually be titled "10,000 Days". Something just doesn't seem right about that, but chances are I will be proven wrong.

Bottom line, I am afraid that after I listen to the new album a couple times through I will say to myself "hmm, I need some Lateralus right about now." I, personally, am most excited to be able to see one of the greatest live shows on the planet again.

I don't see this album being a letdown. Come on man, have you even bothered listening to any of their other albums???

Tard of fucks.

TickTock
03-06-2006, 10:53 PM
dont worry soo much! most of us including me went through this before lateralus came out. the album will be great regardless of title or song names. maynard has an apc voice and a tool voice please dont be concerned about what voice he is going to use.