PDA

View Full Version : My Third Eye Interpretation

snakeeyedhawk
03-01-2006, 06:56 AM
I'm sure it's been done already, but, eh. What the hell.

To start, my basic grasp of the song is that it's about pyschologically 'digging' inside yourself and opening yourself up to everything, rather than going through the daily routines and only accepting what you have come to accept. I also believe the song hints at the realizations of all the things you've missed before you opened yourself up.

"Dreaming of that face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes."

*** This is the perpetual 'tease'. Either someone else has opened themselves up, or there's a longing that exists inside you to open yourself up.

"Rising up
And wiping the webs and the dew from my withered eye."

*** This is the point when you finally start to open your third eye. 'Wiping the webs and the dew' signifies that for a very long time, you have not been open to anything other than what you had come to accept.

"A child's rhyme stuck in my head.
It said that life is but a dream.
I've spent so many years in question
to find I've known this all along."

*** This is one of the stanzas I am uncertain about. All I can come up with is that the stanza signifies that you've had this ability (prying open your third eye) for as long as you've lived.

"So good to see you.
I've missed you so much.
So glad it's over.
I've missed you so much
Came out to watch you play.
Why are you running?"

*** This is the difficulty of opening the third eye. "Why are you running?"

"Shroud-ing all the ground around me
Is this holy crow above me.
Black as holes within a memory
And blue as our new second sun."

*** A realization of one of the new things that you hadn't been able to see before. "As blue as our new second sun" indicates one of these new things.

"I stick my hand into his shadow
To pull the pieces from the sand.
Which I attempt to reassemble
To see just who I might have been."

*** Evaluating your life before you had started prying. "To see who I might have been" before the opening.

"I do not recognize the vessel,
But the eyes seem so familiar.
Like phosphorescent desert buttons
Singing one familiar song..."

*** I have no fucking clue. Maybe another realization or evaluation?

"Prying open my third eye.
So good to see you once again.
I thought that you were hiding.
And you thought that I had run away.
Chasing the tail of dogma.
I opened my eye and there we were."

*** "I opened my eye and there we were." Presumably an evaluation of a relationship between two people, or realizing the mistakes that had been made, or the lies and deceit that had flown over your head before the prying.

And that's pretty much what I've come up with. Realize that this is only an opinion, take it as you will.

( Here's an article for anyone interested in learning more about the third eye - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_eye )

Mya
03-01-2006, 07:20 PM
"A child's rhyme stuck in my head.
It said that life is but a dream.
I've spent so many years in question
to find I've known this all along."

*** This is one of the stanzas I am uncertain about. All I can come up with is that the stanza signifies that you've had this ability (prying open your third eye) for as long as you've lived.

( Here's an article for anyone interested in learning more about the third eye - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_eye )

my two cents? i studied a lot of Wordsworth while i was still in school and one of his main philosphies, for lack of a better term, was that in order for to "get back to nature" you need to assume the innocence of a child and get into a child-like state of mind.

Have you ever wondered why children have such a vivid imagination? i personally think that when we were children, our third eye was open but as we grow older, we lose child-like insight and hence lose our third eye.

i think the reason children are mentioned in this stanza is to tell us that we need to find that innocent state of mind to find our third eye and pry it open.

thoughts?

snakeeyedhawk
03-02-2006, 06:24 AM
Ooooo... I like it! Sounds pretty damn reasonable to me. Good interp.!

TurdEye13
03-02-2006, 08:14 AM
I better jump in here since my username is third eye. I think this song is is trying to remind us to keep an open view of everything, to question and contemplate existance, to not believe blindly, amongst many other things. It may have been intended to portray drug use or experiences because of its opening lines by Bill Hicks.

Mya
03-14-2006, 09:35 PM
It may have been intended to portray drug use or experiences because of its opening lines by Bill Hicks.

thought about this one for a while too...definitely makes sense.