PDA

View Full Version : goodbye

greenblazepheno
11-21-2002, 11:02 PM
I realize that it may sound a little too traditional for Tool, a little too conventional an interpretation by anyone, but I'm still (partly) convinced that the lyrics of this song are genuinely autobiographical (i.e. MJK talking in the third-person).

For instance, I think the "he had a lot to say/he had a lot of nothing to say" is a self-depracating sort of statement- along the lines of other Tool themes, where they continually devalue and invalidate their ideas and the points they raise.

It's also a commentary on their fanship (us). The "you claimed you would die for me" is, again, simply Maynard talking to his followers/worshippers, taking them up on an offer that was probably made thoughtlessly so many times by different fans. I think MJK is trying to get people to realize their devotion really isn't as profound as they think it is, that they themselves are contributing to the lie of their respective fanhoods. They don't truly live-and-die with the band as they claim; it's all part of the routine in order to make the music seem more important/revolutionary/memorable.

Keep in mind, a lot of this meaning was derived back when I'd believed rumours that Maynard was dying of AIDS, and that the album was his last artistic expression in advance of death. I thought, at that time, that the meanings/ideas conveyed in the music were very personal, that he could not afford to be as ambiguous as in past efforts- thus meaning that the lyrics on Aenima were fairly straightforward. I no longer believe them to be so, but their initial meanings to me have obviously clouded my perception of the songs forever. I now realize they may, in fact, be JUST as ambiguous- if not more so.

Finally, I'd like to share an alternate interpretation to the actual words Maynard sings: "get off your fucking cross/we need some fucking space/to nail the next fool martyr". I heard that (and still hear it) as "to nail the next TOOL martyr", again a reference to Maynard himself, and the fans who worship him so dearly.

Alright, that's my bullshit sixpence insight into the Eulogy lyrics. Feel free to grill me.

(PS: I think the lyric "goodbye" to close the song is my favourite Maynard scream of all. I think it's more impressive than Jerkoff (it's harder to pull off, in my estimation) and seemingly more heartfelt. It's also more "appropriate" than the band's other efforts where the yell sometimes appears contrived. This one sounds as genuine as life.)

wuphat
11-27-2002, 05:02 PM
Wow, I can't believe that you bring something like this up and no one has responded to it. I actually think the same thing. I a very similar idea in the Henry Rollins thread. I thought I was stirring up a hornet's nest, but apparently not.

Anyway, good thought and I don't think I could agree more.