PDA

View Full Version : Josh Davis Artwork

sambarugh
02-26-2006, 08:37 AM
In the March issue of Wired there is a segment focused on Josh Davis. The piece contains a full page image of "Art created for Tool guitarist Adam Jones after visiting his home and looking at his tribal relics and videos showing embalmed babies"

The peice is sprawling and reminisent of the animation already on Toolband. The colors are also very earthy and natural. Could be the direction of the new website or album artwork.

Apologies if this has been mentioned and I cannot scan it here, maybe someone could!?!?

2and46
02-26-2006, 10:39 AM
In the March issue of Wired there is a segment focused on Josh Davis. The piece contains a full page image of "Art created for Tool guitarist Adam Jones after visiting his home and looking at his tribal relics and videos showing embalmed babies"

The peice is sprawling and reminisent of the animation already on Toolband. The colors are also very earthy and natural. Could be the direction of the new website or album artwork.

Apologies if this has been mentioned and I cannot scan it here, maybe someone could!?!?

Although I love Adam's artwork, I would applaud a venture into different terrain. Some of the art becomes a little redundant. I'm sure whatever direction the art takes, it will visually pleasing. I wish I could see what your talking about. Maybe someone can post it. By the way, does anyone really have the time to nitpick every mis-spelled word? I guess some do.

sambarugh
02-27-2006, 06:02 AM
Although I love Adam's artwork, I would applaud a venture into different terrain. Some of the art becomes a little redundant. I'm sure whatever direction the art takes, it will visually pleasing. I wish I could see what your talking about. Maybe someone can post it. By the way, does anyone really have the time to nitpick every mis-spelled word? I guess some do.

I will attempt to gain access to a scanner later today and post!

oiad
02-27-2006, 06:54 AM
I will attempt to gain access to a scanner later today and post!

please do...

just simulacra
02-27-2006, 08:03 AM
did any of you guys watch the hour-long, streaming flash presentation by Josh?
he talks a lot about tool, and the direction of the art of the new website.
includes photos of the band recording ______, as well as their recording studio toilet.

kyyuulle
02-27-2006, 08:06 AM
i watched it, very good advice for future designers

sambarugh
02-27-2006, 08:44 AM
Scanned!! The only way I could host - view below.

http://groups.msn.com/imagestoolimages/shoebox.msnw?Page=Last

KILL_CLOWNS
02-27-2006, 08:54 AM
That picture is actually kind of cool, at the same time it looks like bacteria and kind of reminds me of those weird chinese dragons.

kyyuulle
02-27-2006, 08:59 AM
dude...embalmed babies?

A.J. is a sicko!

AbjectEvolution
02-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Any more of this guy's artwork floating around? Is it possible that they are working with him instead of Alex Grey this time?

sinfall
02-27-2006, 09:49 AM
did any of you guys watch the hour-long, streaming flash presentation by Josh?
he talks a lot about tool, and the direction of the art of the new website.
includes photos of the band recording ______, as well as their recording studio toilet.

where can i find this flash movie?

khemystri
02-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Any more of this guy's artwork floating around? Is it possible that they are working with him instead of Alex Grey this time?

Hes probably one of the most prolific artists out there......
His webpage stuff is incredible.

http://www.joshuadavis.com/

Believer
02-27-2006, 10:55 AM
where can i find this flash movie?
yeah i'd like to see it too.

KILL_CLOWNS
02-27-2006, 10:58 AM
I still think its too "graphic designy" for tool. I always think of thier album art as more fine art.

spitcodfry
02-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Josh Davis is the one designing the site correct? Isn't Rodriguez doing the cover art? The dude who did the "turn off your television" t-shirt for them?

gl0tch
02-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Well, given Josh Davis' sheer visual complexity, high profile, and inventiveness, it would be a tragesty if they didnt have him do the art for the album. With all do respect to Ramiro, there are other people out there who do what he does MUCH better.

Josh is working with iterative systems, fractured perspectives, emmergent complexities, macro/microcosmic sturctures and forms. It sounds applicable to me. In any case, spitcodfry, where did you hear Ramiro Rodriguez was doing the art?

KILL_CLOWNS
02-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Josh Davis is the one designing the site correct? Isn't Rodriguez doing the cover art? The dude who did the "turn off your television" t-shirt for them?

I haven't heard that. Where did you come up with that assumption?

dracomordag
02-27-2006, 01:14 PM
I think the band is just a fan of Ramiro's woodcut, and thought it to be in tune with their message.

I also think that Davis is only doing the website.

but then again, what do i know?

hellboy1975
02-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Scanned!! The only way I could host - view below.

http://groups.msn.com/imagestoolimages/shoebox.msnw?Page=Last

Thanks for that. Good to see some useful information posted to this forum occasionally.

I think it looks pretty cool, and I can't wait to see the new Tool website. I wonder if Josh is providing some kind of visualisation tools (screensavers, etc) to go with the new CD?

gl0tch
02-27-2006, 03:10 PM
In the online Flash group movie that Josh participated in last year, he said he was developing a system where the space in which the website is seen appears 2D, but when other pages are accessed, the user sees that the former pages dissolve into a 3D space. He said it was illusionistic, albeit confusing to just speak about. Also, I dont think it was clear that this was going to be infact used for toolband.com

gl0tch
02-27-2006, 03:12 PM
here's the video, but the sound kinda sucks in most of it:

http://mmusergroup.breezecentral.com/p96636002/

Ertai
02-27-2006, 04:15 PM

yay now i really think that Joshua Davis will be designing the new tool artwork...hopfully it all turns out..

i was kinda hoping for new alex grey tool art

hellboy1975
02-27-2006, 05:00 PM
i was kinda hoping for new alex grey tool art

Alex Grey is cool, but I couldn't see Tool using the same artist/concept twice.

zenkinet
02-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Alex Grey is cool, but I couldn't see Tool using the same artist/concept twice.
agreed

gl0tch
02-27-2006, 05:12 PM
double agreed. For that matter, I hope they go back to somewhat ambiguity with the album's "message" (ala Ænima). Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the majikal tinge of Lateralus, but if they were to comeback with another esoteric oto-meets-crowley enochian inflicted record AND more alex grey art on it, they will pigeonhole themselves into being "THAT" band. Any type of clear def. to what they do will only end up being counter-tool-intuitive.

SOooooo..... my votes with Joshua Davis.

KILL_CLOWNS
02-27-2006, 05:21 PM
I don't see them using Alex, although I'm fairly certain they're still working with him (probably on the new video). I like Davis' work, but I don't think I'd like it with a tool album, it looks more like something a band like DFA1979 would use. He's great though, I'm a graphic design major, and that video made me feel stupid about going into that because of restrictions that he seems to overcome by writing his own software. I don't think I know math well enough for the stuff he was doing.

Khadgar346
02-27-2006, 05:21 PM
it would explain why Josh Davis's picture and art work is on Adams myspace profile

spitcodfry
02-27-2006, 05:55 PM
LOL some of these pictures on the flash presentation are hilarious. I love the one of the Tool loft bathroom that has their gold/platinum records next to the toilet. I may be imagining but it looks like the top of one of them is caked in shit. These guys take that whole gold thing seriously.

Also like the Dr. Zaius statue Adam has in his front yard. King Buzzo has a lot of toys.

dracomordag
02-27-2006, 06:02 PM
LOL some of these pictures on the flash presentation are hilarious. I love the one of the Tool loft bathroom that has their gold/platinum records next to the toilet. I may be imagining but it looks like the top of one of them is caked in shit. These guys take that whole gold thing seriously.

Also like the Dr. Zaius statue Adam has in his front yard. King Buzzo has a lot of toys.

I really wanna see this (along with the Tool jam I've been hearing about)

but I'm way too lazy to fast forward to these sections

spitcodfry
02-27-2006, 06:06 PM
This is sort of interesting...Josh Davis used colors on the cover of the Snow White DVD for his template in creating the Tool work/new website content.

Unifaun
02-27-2006, 06:06 PM

Where are you finding this?

Edit: nevermind, I realized it was the video link.

gl0tch
02-27-2006, 06:18 PM
it would explain why Josh Davis's picture and art work is on Adams myspace profile

Where? I'm not seeing that.

Khadgar346
02-27-2006, 06:19 PM
thanks for the post the link Gl0tch, great stuff in the video

spitcodfry
02-27-2006, 06:20 PM
This may have already been discussed...but it seems as though Tool is wanting another anatomy theme, at least in some part. The section of the presentation I'm at now has Davis discussing how Adam wanted him to look through Grey's anatomy for inspiration. He uses the same style as the more aztec themed compositions but with components consisting of organs/body parts. Lots of lungs, spleens, kidneys, cross sections of brain. It looks pretty damn impressive I must say. Can't wait to see a final product. He also talks about how Tool have asked him about the possibilities of t-shirts with the artwork in addition to figuring out how to animate his style for a live show. I know this isn't as exciting as the music obviously, but it is pretty neat to see the artist-for-hire talking about the creative process behind crafting Tool's cover art.

Oh and btw the clip he plays where he's in the studio with Adam Justin and Danny...I saw this off some file sharing program about a year ago! Small world. Now I know who that 'random' dude with the camera was. Josh Davis!

KILL_CLOWNS
02-27-2006, 06:21 PM
I'd like to play around with that software a little, however I doubt my computer has the processing power.

Unifaun
02-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Er, no again, where in TIME is that TOOL related contents? I don't care about his god damn Flash tricks. I actually hate Flash :(

Khadgar346
02-27-2006, 06:34 PM
I wonder what he showed after that recording turned off? "not for public eyes" bah! hehe

great stuff

btw, Josh's picture isn't in his profile but his artwork is. its that book looking picture

Unifaun
02-27-2006, 06:37 PM
Bah, it's totally out of sync. Pathetic Flash.

Believer
02-28-2006, 08:25 AM

i enjoyed that much, thanks.

gl0tch
02-28-2006, 03:21 PM
np

MOON
02-28-2006, 03:40 PM
I have made all screenshot of all picture/drawing/artwork !

Its here :

http://lunarproject.free.fr/nineperfectools/joshua_davis_tool/

:)

Andorion
02-28-2006, 06:09 PM
This guy sounds like a bit of a goober...

kyyuulle
02-28-2006, 06:10 PM
he's a major actionscript nerd

orange.juice
02-28-2006, 06:11 PM
See? He is Teh mOrOn MayOnaIsE!!!

dracomordag
02-28-2006, 06:17 PM
thanks for the pics, MOON.

MOON
02-28-2006, 06:41 PM
:)

ps: Joshua Davis is a genius!

orange.juice
02-28-2006, 06:52 PM
ps: Joshua Davis is a genius!
really? no.

dracomordag
02-28-2006, 07:00 PM
you really hate this Davis guy, don't you?

orange.juice
02-28-2006, 07:02 PM
yep. you should give that webcast thing a listen. he is a moron period

dracomordag
02-28-2006, 07:09 PM
way too lazy. I'll take your word for it, though.

and you gotta admit his work is pretty good-looking...

orange.juice
02-28-2006, 07:21 PM
and you gotta admit his work is pretty good-looking...
maybe itīs a matter of personal taste but i think his work looks just how ordinary flash stuff is supposed to look like.

His work is totally random. Random organic forms. Always looks good. He canīt draw, but brags about his wacom drawing tablet. The computer draws for him. Okay, he is a web designer, so he does not necessarily need this skill, or any talent. What bothers me is that people apparently see his work as art, which it is not in my eyes. It is a technique. he gets a kudo from me for developing that technique. Now what he should do is get in contact with someone that does the artistic work for him. Sure, there are tons of really crappy flash websites, and actually his stuff doesnīt look especially ugly. But Josh Davis =/= art.

Someone above stated heīs an actionscript nerd. I concur with that.

dracomordag
02-28-2006, 07:57 PM
maybe itīs a matter of personal taste but i think his work looks just how ordinary flash stuff is supposed to look like.

His work is totally random. Random organic forms. Always looks good. He canīt draw, but brags about his wacom drawing tablet. The computer draws for him. Okay, he is a web designer, so he does not necessarily need this skill, or any talent. What bothers me is that people apparently see his work as art, which it is not in my eyes. It is a technique. he gets a kudo from me for developing that technique. Now what he should do is get in contact with someone that does the artistic work for him. Sure, there are tons of really crappy flash websites, and actually his stuff doesnīt look especially ugly. But Josh Davis =/= art.

Someone above stated heīs an actionscript nerd. I concur with that.

have you seen his once upon a forest site? some of that stuff is really beautiful.

and I do agree that his drawing skills are not really up to par. But there's more to art than drawing. I see his stuff as more of a beauty of arrangement (a la fung shway (<-spelled really wrong)) than a painting.

spitcodfry
02-28-2006, 08:30 PM
There can be ample beauty in simplicity

orange.juice
02-28-2006, 08:37 PM
aw hell youīre right. I just hope that fucktard doesnīt mess up his job for da Tewl.

TenSpeed
02-28-2006, 08:39 PM
(a la Feng Shui (<-spelled really wrong))
Fixed.

gl0tch
03-01-2006, 02:46 AM
great job Moon. Thanks for the screen grabs!

KILL_CLOWNS
03-01-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm very suspicious that Josh is doing the artwork for the album. I emailed him about the website, because I thought that he would be the one re-designing the website. Here is what he said: "I'm only doing the splash page at the moment - not the entire website.

I don't have the time nor do the really have the budget - with the new Music coming out soon and all.

hope this helps,

// joshua davis
// joshua davis | studios
// [email protected] + http://www.joshuadavis.com
// 234 Jefferson Ave. Mineola, New York 11501
// tel : 1.516.242.3039"

I was hoping that he was doing to site and not the album work, but we'll have to wait and see.

Andorion
03-01-2006, 02:08 PM
I doubt Tool doesn't have the budget to pay this shmo to make their website :)

orange.juice
03-01-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm very suspicious that Josh is doing the artwork for the album. I emailed him about the website, because I thought that he would be the one re-designing the website. Here is what he said: "I'm only doing the splash page at the moment - not the entire website.

I don't have the time nor do the really have the budget - with the new Music coming out soon and all.

hope this helps,

// joshua davis
// joshua davis | studios
// [email protected] + http://www.joshuadavis.com
// 234 Jefferson Ave. Mineola, New York 11501
// tel : 1.516.242.3039"

I was hoping that he was doing to site and not the album work, but we'll have to wait and see.

well thatīs good news.

gl0tch
03-01-2006, 05:26 PM
that kinda sounds like bullshit to me.

KILL_CLOWNS
03-01-2006, 05:37 PM
that kinda sounds like bullshit to me.

What do you mean by that? That maybe he just didn't want to do it or something? Or that the e-mail is fake? Its not. He replied very quickly as well, email him yourself.

delysid
03-01-2006, 07:16 PM
Where? I'm not seeing that.

If you look at Adam's pics page, there are pics taken with Adam and Buzz at a shooting range....I'm assuming Josh Davis took them.

Ertai
03-01-2006, 07:53 PM
If you look at Adam's pics page, there are pics taken with Adam and Buzz at a shooting range....I'm assuming Josh Davis took them.
if u were to listen to the video, he even says that adam and buzz invited him to go shoot guns after their collaboration.

gl0tch
03-01-2006, 09:01 PM
What do you mean by that? That maybe he just didn't want to do it or something? Or that the e-mail is fake? Its not. He replied very quickly as well, email him yourself.

I did. Still havent heard from him. And with the amount of work and discussion hinted by Josh regarding the site, it sounds very unlikely they don't have the money for him to complete it. regardless, I dont necessarily have a reason *not* to believe you.

KILL_CLOWNS
03-01-2006, 09:15 PM
I did. Still havent heard from him. And with the amount of work and discussion hinted by Josh regarding the site, it sounds very unlikely they don't have the money for him to complete it. regardless, I dont necessarily have a reason *not* to believe you.

Ok, well I was just curious. I know what you're saying though, I really think that he could make a really good toolband website, and a really bad album cover. His work is too much on the graphic design side, which is perfect for a website, but I don't think would come off as well on an album cover. Either he lied, or he did do the album work. Or maybe he is still working with the splash page, I think the random jellyfish or random body parts would work better than the current splash page.

dracomordag
03-01-2006, 09:16 PM
I love the current splash page

hate the current main site

and don't expect him to do album cover

Ertai
03-01-2006, 09:22 PM

its only cool because its based of Artifical Intelligences...... if you dont belive me then press "Refresh" in your browser and watch how it changes randomly.

and that errie sound during the splash page is in fact... all done by Tool

based off the only two facts worth knowing from that video....

orange.juice
03-01-2006, 09:28 PM

hate the current main site

and don't expect him to do album cover
1. i hate the splash page. it is laggy and annoying. Whatīs the purpose of it? Itīs just fucking annoying.

2 & 3 i concurr.

dracomordag
03-01-2006, 09:36 PM
1. i hate the splash page. it is laggy and annoying. Whatīs the purpose of it? Itīs just fucking annoying.

2 & 3 i concurr.

it does suck ass when I'm on slow connection and have to wait forever for it to fucking load (forever = 10 seconds in the modern internet world)

but on highspeed, it's great.

gl0tch
03-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Ok, well I was just curious. I know what you're saying though, I really think that he could make a really good toolband website, and a really bad album cover. His work is too much on the graphic design side, which is perfect for a website, but I don't think would come off as well on an album cover. Either he lied, or he did do the album work. Or maybe he is still working with the splash page, I think the random jellyfish or random body parts would work better than the current splash page.

Well I think both parties involved are obviously intelligent. There's no part of me that thinks Tool would let JD fuck this up. Just b/c we have only some examples of his work, we shouldnt think he wouldnt bring the heat on this album design. If we excuse ourselves of his high profile status and just look at what he is doing - generative systems, "intelligent" systems, complex structues, micro/macro-cosmic divides, emmergent elements, dissonate components, etc... Why wouldnt Tool consider this a successful marriage? I mean, if JD consistently can "break" printers with his work, just think how visually interesting and visceral a design by him would be if he managed to be less about Josh Davis and more catered the design to Tool's vibe. That being said, another "dark" neu-metal design seems a bit too predictable for me. Its the element of surprise that makes Tool, well, Tool. And to be honest, the complexity in JD's work is akin to Alex Grey's work, minus the blatant spiritualism his wears on its sleeve.

Also, given the professionalism of both, I am certain a contract was involved. Also, someone like him wouldnt sign on just for a splash page if the rest of the layout made his work seem like bullocks. The direct contrast between what he did and the news page, etc., is hilarious. The way I see it, the website is nearly 8 years overdue for a redesign.

rimb
03-02-2006, 03:34 PM
This may have been mentioned already, but the Josh Davis artwork reminds me a lot of the film Akira, when Tetsuo loses control of his powers and becomes the big blob thingy.

paraflux
03-06-2006, 12:45 PM
double agreed. For that matter, I hope they go back to somewhat ambiguity with the album's "message" (ala Ænima).

This is true for me too. I felt better about getting something more subtle than I did about understanding lateralus. There are far more secret areas (ala Quake) on AEnima than lateralus, musically, as well.

Andorion
03-06-2006, 12:48 PM
This is true for me too. I felt better about getting something more subtle than I did about understanding lateralus. There are far more secret areas (ala Quake) on AEnima than lateralus, musically, as well.

I love this analogy of "secret areas" like in Quake :) Fantastic.