PDA

View Full Version : The whole review leak thing

Neill Fraser
02-24-2006, 03:29 AM
I know this has been discussed to death but theres one fairly major factor no one (that I have seen) has touched on.

Assuming the review is real and the story behind how it came to be posted is genuine (which I believe it is) this could be very relevant to the resulting (apparent) backlash.

The media are in the business of selling news. If someone gets a head start on the news they sell more and as a result gain more customers, more advertisers are attracted as a result and the agent benefits as a result. Its not all about the band and the record company. By Andy King 'leaking' this the UK radio market turns more towards Total Rock as a station in the hope for more info and similar leaks on other bands. Subsequently other stations lose out. Now ask yourself who may have alerted Tools management and been so pissed off? The other media. Tool need the media on their side, possibly more than they need their fans. In the UK NME can make or break a band, constantly. Look at for example Adore by the Smashing Pumpkins vs Kid A by Radiohead, one was a huge success, one wasnt, why, because the media pushed Kid A, hyped it and generally thrust it in everyones face as great. We forget that this is a market and a lot of positive 'free' press is better than ok or bad press. Tool (and more importantly, their backers) need hype and they need that to come from the press, and in nowhere more media driven than the UK.

Nuff said, think outside the square people. Theres more to this than just the music.

CurtSchilling
02-24-2006, 03:54 AM
Now ask yourself who may have alerted Tools management and been so pissed off?

TDN/ToolArmy/ToolNavy by mailbombing Blair.

Daniel

khemystri
02-24-2006, 05:39 AM
Look at for example Adore by the Smashing Pumpkins vs Kid A by Radiohead, one was a huge success, one wasnt, why, because the media pushed Kid A, hyped it and generally thrust it in everyones face as great.

Maybe "Kid A" was just a better record....... :p

Hooker with a Third Eye
02-24-2006, 05:49 AM
i think the album will sell fine regardless...

stinkfish
02-24-2006, 05:54 AM
not like tool really cares about the media hype. if they did, they would tease with info about the new album, give interviews and hints to the thirsty media, that's at least what the major labels would like their band to do. instead they even keep the album name secret. Now I would love to think that's a sucessful marketing strategy, but I've got a hard time believing the album would sell more without a name.

ARMZ
02-24-2006, 05:59 AM
I know this has been discussed to death but theres one fairly major factor no one (that I have seen) has touched on.

Assuming the review is real and the story behind how it came to be posted is genuine (which I believe it is) this could be very relevant to the resulting (apparent) backlash.

The media are in the business of selling news. If someone gets a head start on the news they sell more and as a result gain more customers, more advertisers are attracted as a result and the agent benefits as a result. Its not all about the band and the record company. By Andy King 'leaking' this the UK radio market turns more towards Total Rock as a station in the hope for more info and similar leaks on other bands. Subsequently other stations lose out. Now ask yourself who may have alerted Tools management and been so pissed off? The other media. Tool need the media on their side, possibly more than they need their fans. In the UK NME can make or break a band, constantly. Look at for example Adore by the Smashing Pumpkins vs Kid A by Radiohead, one was a huge success, one wasnt, why, because the media pushed Kid A, hyped it and generally thrust it in everyones face as great. We forget that this is a market and a lot of positive 'free' press is better than ok or bad press. Tool (and more importantly, their backers) need hype and they need that to come from the press, and in nowhere more media driven than the UK.

Nuff said, think outside the square people. Theres more to this than just the music.
You're living in a fairy world. This is fucking Tool we are talking about here, not the fucking backstreet boys. They don't need commercials or publicity, it's fucking Tool.

There's no backlash, name one fucking person who's said they're not going to buy the album now.

There is still a whole 2 months to go before we see anything, all this shit will blow over like Rocco on some 18 year old slut.

More hype has been driven by us, the fans, and not the media, that can change in the near future though but it won't change anything.

It's all about the music, everything else is just a bonus.

Kurt Russell
02-24-2006, 06:08 AM
There is never more to it than just the music.

Lamb & Martyr^
02-24-2006, 08:38 AM
Go back to Radioheads forums.

Staticfactory
02-24-2006, 09:25 AM
How can you possibly compare "Adore" to "Kid A".

One of them is in the top 10 best "rock" albums since 1990.

skane
02-24-2006, 10:27 AM
Adore must be just the lousiest record by the Pumpkins.
Kid A is just brilliant.

orange.juice
02-24-2006, 10:32 AM
no itīs definitly the other way around.

skane
02-24-2006, 10:38 AM

guess your truth is just as true as mine

Staticfactory
02-24-2006, 10:41 AM

Yeah, but he wins on avatar quality alone. Busted on the kicker!

Kurt Russell
02-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Adore must be just the lousiest record by the Pumpkins.
Kid A is just brilliant.
Agreed.

orange.juice
02-24-2006, 10:48 AM
my truth has bigger teeth than yours.

paraflux
02-24-2006, 10:50 AM
Back on topic...

goats
02-24-2006, 11:17 AM
smashing pumpkins big sukx

tool needz media attntion

TurdEye13
02-24-2006, 03:11 PM
i think the album will sell fine regardless...

oh, it will sell alright

Lamb & Martyr^
02-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Tool is not a band that needs mainstreem media bs to sell albums. Most of Tools fans aren't into Britney Spears etc..........

ATARI
02-24-2006, 05:21 PM
Maybe "Kid A" was just a better record....... :p

kid A sucks.

SomethingSpecial
02-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Your both moronic for arguing about this on a Tool forum. None of us here (for sure not me) want to hear about Smashing Pumpkins or Radiohead. They both suck compared TOOL.

Next

ATARI
02-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Smashing Pumpkins or Radiohead. They both suck

This guy is on to somthing

02-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Your both moronic for arguing about this on a Tool forum. None of us here (for sure not me) want to hear about Smashing Pumpkins or Radiohead. They both suck compared TOOL.

Next

Wow, you're retarded.

Just because it's a Tool forum doesn't mean Tool are the only band you're allowed to talk about.

..and no, the Pumpkins don't suck compared to Tool, infact they're better. :)

sularetal
02-24-2006, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=8564]Wow, you're retarded.

Just because it's a Tool forum doesn't mean Tool are the only band you're allowed to talk about.

..and no, the Pumpkins don't suck compared to Tool, infact they're betterIN MY OPINION

Fixed.

orange.juice
02-24-2006, 06:02 PM

Next
HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

02-24-2006, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=8564]Wow, you're retarded.

..and no, the Pumpkins don't suck compared to Tool, infact they're betterIN MY OPINION

Fixed.

Well, I didn't feel I had to add "in my opinion" because it's pretty obvious it's an opinion.. I hardly went to www.factsoflife.com and searched for "Smashing Pumpkins > Tool" on it.

SomethingSpecial
02-24-2006, 07:07 PM
Smashing Pumpkins = Better than TOOL. You've got to be fucking kidding me. Now we're on to something at least. I mean, before I was just jumping in to be a dick, but now that you've placed ("IN YOUR OPINION"(thanks sularetal)) Smashing Pumpkins over Tool, you've made it clear to me and countless others that your a fucking moron. When's the last time you read a smashing pumpkins lyric? Try it tonight. Clear your mind. Put yourself in a state of vulerably open mindedness (pull your head out of your ass) and read some of their lyrics. There ridiculous. Childish at best. Now of course if they mean something to you, that's awesome. If their your favorite band or whatever, that's cool for YOU as well. Perhaps you'd be interested in finding a Smashing Pumpking forum to post your opinions on? try www.smashingpumpkinssuck.com/forum/gay

Thanks Sweetone

Neill Fraser
02-24-2006, 08:11 PM
A listening party is to showcase the album to the press. Not because the press are any cooler than anyone else but because they have power.
Tool are saying (through their record company) come eat our food, have a drink or 10 on us, listen to our music and fucking plug the thing cause we think you're special and show that by spoiling the fuck out of you.
As I've already said, someone gets to jump the gun and that hurts the other media. Tool sells magazines, sales make press happy with Tool.

Think of it like the being the newspaper with the first pictures of Madonnas baby then some paparzzi guy sells the pics to a tabloid who publish the following day.

I stand by my statement.

and the SP, Radiohead ref: both had huge albums preceding the followups, one was huge, one wasnt. Ignoring of course the actual quality of the albums and other factors - its an example of press control, not a comparison!

UtUmNo1
02-24-2006, 08:26 PM
You're living in a fairy world. This is fucking Tool we are talking about here, not the fucking backstreet boys. They don't need commercials or publicity, it's fucking Tool.

Hahahahaha, who's living in the fairy world, sucker?

Edit: isn't it cute when the noobs fight?

02-24-2006, 08:29 PM
Smashing Pumpkins = Better than TOOL. You've got to be fucking kidding me. Now we're on to something at least. I mean, before I was just jumping in to be a dick, but now that you've placed ("IN YOUR OPINIin yoON"(thanks sularetal)) Smashing Pumpkins over Tool, you've made it clear to me and countless others that your a fucking moron. When's the last time you read a smashing pumpkins lyric? Try it tonight. Clear your mind. Put yourself in a state of vulerably open mindedness (pull your head out of your ass) and read some of their lyrics. There ridiculous. Childish at best. Now of course if they mean something to you, that's awesome. If their your favorite band or whatever, that's cool for YOU as well. t is hilarious.
Perhaps you'd be interested in finding a Smashing Pumpking forum to post your opinions on? try www.smashingpumpkinssuck.com/forum/gay

Thanks Sweetone

It's because of people like you Tool fans get a reputation for being ignorant fucking assholes. Maybe you should read Something Awful's review of a Tool fan then take a look in the mirror. I mean seriously, the amount of irony in your post is hilarious.

UtUmNo1
02-24-2006, 08:32 PM
Case and point.

flipmojo
02-24-2006, 08:59 PM
I have to wonder how much publicity Tool really needs. They have been around for over a decade with four albums already released. Maynard gets alot of publicity with APC as well. They will get the publicity without kissing anyone's ass, and the album will sell regardless of who gets "first dibs".

If Tool wants to squeeze every last drop of money out of this new record, than all that "advertising competition" mess you mentioned will matter. So are they being greedy? It is hard to say.

ARMZ
02-24-2006, 09:28 PM
Hahahahaha, who's living in the fairy world, sucker?
Errrr, you, you nob jockey.

UtUmNo1
02-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Knob.

khemystri
02-24-2006, 09:55 PM
kid A sucks.

To each his own, i guess..... but your missing the point of my statement.....
Im not a huge Radiohead fan or anything.....
Just commented on how I think the limited magazine blurbs have less impact
than people give them credit for....

Now a cover story on the other hand.... can and do hold sway over album sales.

I dont subscribe to blurbs.. i subscribe to the fact that a solid track record
is (most likely) the determining factor..... of course theres alway exceptions......

SomethingSpecial
02-24-2006, 11:33 PM
So now I have to read a review of a Tool fan to know what a Tool fan is? Is that what you do everytime you start to like a new band? "Oh Oh I really like the Backstreet Boys, I better go online and read the latest review about their fans so I know who to copy and who to act like, then I can be a real fan yippe."
Look, your entitled to your opinion, and I mine. It just so happens that your opinion (Smashing Pumpkins > Tool) sucks.
So where do you rank Good Charlotte, I'm sure their in your top 3

SomethingSpecial
02-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Wow, you're retarded.

And I believe the appropriate term is Developmentally Disabled.

lachrymoIogy
02-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Wow, you're retarded.

banned.

SomethingSpecial
02-25-2006, 04:50 PM
thanks lachrymoIogy, that guy was (is(will forever be)) a fucking idiot.

Opiate_Mass
02-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Wow, you're retarded.

That's rather one-sided don't you think?
in terms of staying together and musical talent, tool are better.
That being said the smashing pumpkins kick major arse too (corgan's solo stuff was laughable). But i'm DEFINATELY looking forward to the new pumpkin album and tour almost as much as Tool's.
but a smart thing would be to NOT bag out tool in a tool forum -.-

plexus
02-25-2006, 10:00 PM
Radiohead Rocks.
Kid A Rocks.
The Smashing Pumpkins Rock.
Adore is not the best SP album. (personally, I'd say Siamese Dream)
Kid A is better then Adore.
Tool Rocks.
Tool is not the only band that rocks.

Cant we all just get along?

Opiate_Mass
02-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Radiohead Rocks.
Kid A Rocks.
Tool Rocks.

Cant we all just get along?
collie was my favourite, cause it had the heavy, dirty, raw songs as well as the strange ones, and the ballads as well, plus it's double cd, which just kick arse

as for adore, i like industrial, so i didn't mind it.

SomethingSpecial
02-26-2006, 02:28 AM
Totally agree with both of you. That guy totally lost me when he started saying I wasn't a Tool fan, and how I needed to read some fucking stupid review on how to be a Tool fan. Blow me. loli.

Anyway, now that he has been completly pwned; Smashing Pumpkins are good. I enjoy their Bsides and MATIS. Kid A was fucking amazing album but, FOR ME, Tool kicks way more ass. Iv'e never been spiritually or emotionally moved by any other band the way TOol moves me. So 8654, or whatever the fuck your new screenname is, BLOW ME = pwned.

dracomordag
02-26-2006, 03:25 AM
this thread is probably the worst thread I've ever read and, I know, I'm posting in it. If you think you're cool enough to call me out, go for it.

Ryan
02-26-2006, 03:34 AM
and, I know, I'm posting in it. If you think you're cool enough to call me out, go for it.

i call you out.

Opiate_Mass
02-26-2006, 04:04 AM
so................
cheese?

skane
02-27-2006, 03:51 AM
Radiohead Rocks.
Kid A Rocks.
Tool Rocks.

and that's that! ;)

SomethingSpecial
02-27-2006, 02:47 PM
and that's that! ;)
I totally agree. End of thread? thank god

dracomordag
02-27-2006, 03:16 PM
i call you out.

fuck!

Renholder
02-27-2006, 06:49 PM
This thread is bringing all kinds of people closer together... feel the love people....it's tangible and it's in the air and all around us. lets all hug.

dracomordag
02-27-2006, 07:03 PM
done

::hold::