PDA

View Full Version : Whispered Eulogy Lyrics... (new here)

snakeeyedhawk
02-23-2006, 09:24 AM
Hey, ya'll.
First off, I'm a big-ass Tool fan. I own Opiate, Undertow, Aenima, and Lateralus, Aenima being my favorite. Just figured I'd introduce myself and personally say what a great site this is.

From what I can tell, a big interest is the whispered Eulogy lyrics. I came up with some lyrics based upon what I hear when I play Eulogy.

"Our peace means nothing, because
you're falling asleep listening to our
proposed new rule...

Strike paths as we
scoff at all your commands.

*if you listen to the second whispered stanza closely, right at the end you will hear a sound that seems to resemble a scoffing noise if you have your sound turned up*

But that was over twelve and half years ago.

*I also hear 'but that was over two and a half milennia ago / twelve and a half milennia ago', but that doesn't make much sense.*

Which reminds why I did all this."

Take those as you will, they're just a personal belief of what he's saying.

And yes, I do believe the song is about Jesus. Not Bill Hicks or Maynard.

Thanks for having me at your site!

melloncollie
03-21-2006, 09:11 AM
Maynard says "I'm too smart when you're invisible by the bone and the symbol on you. So he bashes his skull through the window while over looking the sea. Twilight amber ego. We were amused by this"

May I just say before offending Maynard or any Tool fans that, while he was in the band Tool he seems very withdrawn, often focusing on very negative views of life, and from his own mouth he 'just didnt want to know'.

He starts off defensivly saying hes too smart, ?look at this? The next part of the sentence is quite confusing. He is reffering to something that is not physical; the parts you're and on you might mean materialistic or something.

For the second sentence I ask myself, what window and what sea. I think he is reffering to restraints in his life, and trying to overcome these.

Twilight amber ego: as a guess this is refering to himself, and him as having a soft warm/embracing type of personality.

The last sentence seems like hes saying how him and other people find amusement, from the situations that come from the restraints in his life.

I'm not sure how accurate the things I've said are but I'd like to hear other opinions.

pathological2
03-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Members of Tool, including Maynard, have said this song is not about Jesus. If you relate it to Jesus, that's fine.

snakeeyedhawk
04-17-2006, 12:08 PM
I actually decided after further thought that it's about false martyrdom, so it can be generally applied to anyone who has exhibited such traits.

pivotal digit
04-18-2006, 06:06 PM
A thought; ok Bill hicks died at 32 "not all martyr 's see divinity but at least you tried" Christ died at 33 , ironic i guess.

epistomai
04-18-2006, 06:28 PM
What can you think if I tell you I'm gonna be 33 at 2012? Have you read other posts about that date?

Better not to say what I think

meileen
04-23-2006, 08:10 PM
i think its about both loving and hating a saint at the same time.

zee deveel 17
04-27-2006, 11:33 PM
i think its about both loving and hating a saint at the same time.

yeah, i definitely agree with that. I think the lines "he had a lot to say/nothing to say" are a clear indication of the ambivalence toward the martyr. the martyr he's addressing in the song (whether it's jesus or not) is being criticized for the ultimate sacrifice (dying in God's name) and yet praised for doing whatever he did while he was still alive.

sub_atomic
04-28-2006, 02:36 AM
Everyone's way off. Some of the guesses out there are pure nonsense!

Maynard's talking directly to the deceased "martyr" here, telling him that a new one has replaced him. (The words in italics are debatable)

----

I’m just glad we got this fucker of them all to sing them a new one.
It’s pretty bad since we scoff giving all commands.
Don’t be too mad when you get home.
I wanted you to know this.

----

BDT
04-30-2006, 05:23 PM
not hearing what time?

cosmokramer
04-30-2006, 08:43 PM
I've always thought this song was about Ron L. Hubbard.

snakeeyedhawk
05-02-2006, 11:41 AM
\*snip\

With all due respect, no one is way off. Everyone will have a different interpretation, and Tool supports THINKING rather than being spoon-fed the answers.

:)

acsguitar
05-03-2006, 12:14 PM
"Ranting and pointing his finger with everything but his heart"

To me that couldn't be about Jesus. It sounds more like a political strike then a religious strike

OpenEyes25
05-04-2006, 06:26 AM
yeah, i definitely agree with that. I think the lines "he had a lot to say/nothing to say" are a clear indication of the ambivalence toward the martyr. the martyr he's addressing in the song (whether it's jesus or not) is being criticized for the ultimate sacrifice (dying in God's name) and yet praised for doing whatever he did while he was still alive.

Just a thought, but what I think is trying to be said by the line "he had a lot to say/he had a lot of nothing to say" is that he said a lot of things, but none of it meant anything. He really had "a lot of nothing" to say. I didn't interpret as having mixed feelings over a saint.

moneyisevil
05-15-2006, 02:00 PM
we might never solve the mystery of the whispered lyrics, but i would like to know

this is what i hear

"a place where --------- where i could sit by you (OR "and the symbol on you") . So he bashes his skull through the window ----- over looking the sea. Too bad when he called. You're mind is helpless."

the "-----" represents words that are inaudible or indecipherable

he deffinatley says you're mind is helpless, cuz in several bootlegs he changes up all the lines except cleary "you're mind is helpless"

xyu
05-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Actually, there is a way to hear a lot of "secret" too quiet parts on AEnima. I accidentaly used an effect on a sound editor I own called karaoke, which is supposed to turn down the vocals on songs. I tried on several Aenima songs and guess what it did? It turned down a lot of guitar distortion, as much as main vocals, and it turned up very silent vocal parts and drums. VERY, VERY interesting. Try it yourself. I did it with a program calles Creative Mediasource, camed with my soundcard

slicknickshady
05-17-2006, 07:36 PM
The Full Whispered Lyrics.

Go to the Eulogy Part.

http://www.vanillacircus.net/book/tool_book.pdf

You could be the one
To save me from
My own existence

I was so sure that I’d sin and you’d pay too
I’m just glad you knew me enough to allow me
to always sit by you
So mad since you stopped giving all your commands
You weren’t too mad when he called you
Your mind is helpless

moneyisevil
05-27-2006, 07:06 PM

Go to the Eulogy Part.

You could be the one
To save me from
My own existence

to always sit by you
Your mind is helpless

its wrong.its not i was so sure that id sin and you'd oay too....its im scared...your scared....or something like that

i used to think those were the lyrics but they are not

you can clearly hear "so he bashes his skull into the window" and there isnt enough syllables for him to say "you werent too mad" at all....im not saying my lyrics are correct but they are closer

xyu
05-31-2006, 10:02 AM
yes, I've read these lines, you could be the one etc, several times before ans as far as I can hear thet are completely wrong. I wonder why people keep posting them

tbrent21
06-07-2006, 07:57 PM

Go to the Eulogy Part.

You could be the one
To save me from
My own existence

to always sit by you
Your mind is helpless

Just one person's interpretation. Most likely, or should I say most definitely, wrong.

iAMtheMA!
01-17-2007, 09:13 AM
bump.

"you could be the one to save me from my own existence" got it. are these other interpretations guesses or what? i mean, couldn't we somehow single out or even exaggerate maynard's sounds throughout every song and discover a more no-nonsense and definitive translation?