PDA

View Full Version : TOOL by Alex Grey

Maine-iak
02-22-2006, 09:20 AM
New to the forums, so I apologize if this has been discussed. I did a quick forum search and couldn't find this topic discussed, however.

I have had the upcoming Alex Grey book "TOOL" on my Amazon.com wishlist for some time. However, I noticed today that while it is still on my list, it is now classified as "not available", not even for pre-order. After a Google search for the book, I only came across one site where it was still available for sale, due to be released in May 2006. However, Amazon.com now lists it as "Hardcover - June 2006" if you search on the ISBN.

My question to the forum is could it be that they are delaying the release of the book to coincide with the live DVD? If the book contains pictures of the band and Mr. Grey's artwork from that album/tour, it would make sense that they would release them at the same time to better enable some cross-promotion. Does anyone have any more information on the status of this upcoming book?

ARMZ
02-22-2006, 09:24 AM
It's been known that the book has had a release date for June for awhile now, as far as the DVD well that is "still a great unknown"

My thoughts however is that there will be no Live DVD with the book but a interview that the band had with Alex and should be released with it.

Maine-iak
02-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Is it known what the Alex Grey book will contain, exactly?

ARMZ
02-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Presumably the Lateralus tour and Alex's workings with the band, I'll have a look around and try and find that little piece of info that was floating about.

Bogart
02-22-2006, 09:40 AM
Is it known what the Alex Grey book will contain, exactly?

Supposedly artwork for the album, and artwork that the album didn't have. I also believe I read that the band members would be doing the forward for the book also.

ARMZ
02-22-2006, 09:54 AM
This is all I can find...I think there was some more...

A tool is "anything used as a means of accomplishing a task or purpose." Music and art are the most profound tools humanity has for plumbing and expressing the heights and depths of the soul. True to its name, Tool plays industrial-strength, hard-core psychedelic rock and roll. Alex Grey is an artist and mystic whose images express the perception of a sacred actuality. A cover artist for many top bands, he teamed up with Tool to do the cover art for their album "Lateralus, the animation for a music video, and the stage design for their 80-city album tour. This sumptuous book illustrates that joint artistic process, with previously unpublished photographs of Grey with the band. Featuring an introduction by the artist and a foreword by Tool, Tool celebrates the fusion of two of the top talents in the worlds of art and music.

http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?pid=1556435835&ad=FGLBKS

flipmojo
02-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Here is where the book was discussed. I heard the book was due ot June 9th.

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=36368

Cucumber_11
02-22-2006, 10:04 AM
It seems odd to me that Tool would relase the book with the DVD. I know Tool can never be trusted to do what we expect but i just don't see DVD's coming with books. (If there are many releases like this please, feel free to enlighten me).
A DVD to me is something to be released with a CD, if you release a DVD with a book you could basically have everything in the book on the DVD anyway. Like a DVD book... ooo! I wonder if they'd do that?

"Not just another live DVD"

It could be a direction they go in i suppose.

harbong
02-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm hoping the DVD will come with the book in a box set, and a section of the book could go through the concert as sort of a companion guide with information on the songs, backdrops, videos, props, lighting, backstage photos, stuff like that. It could also have like a extensive section about the recording of lateralus or how they put together such a moster stage show (lighting, mixing, traveling, setting up everyday, etc). Although this would make sense to me, Tool has never seemed to want people to know how they pull off the amazing things they pull off. it's part of what sets tool apart from other acts I suppose.
Also, think about salival: that had a cd, dvd AND a book (although the book was just artwork). tool wouldn't step backward and release a dvd in an ordinary plastic case. every cd has stepped forward in design and presentation, and I'd hope the dvd/book is no exception.

Christoff
02-22-2006, 11:05 AM
This is all I can find...I think there was some more...

A tool is "anything used as a means of accomplishing a task or purpose." Music and art are the most profound tools humanity has for plumbing and expressing the heights and depths of the soul. True to its name, Tool plays industrial-strength, hard-core psychedelic rock and roll. Alex Grey is an artist and mystic whose images express the perception of a sacred actuality. A cover artist for many top bands, he teamed up with Tool to do the cover art for their album "Lateralus, the animation for a music video, and the stage design for their 80-city album tour. This sumptuous book illustrates that joint artistic process, with previously unpublished photographs of Grey with the band. Featuring an introduction by the artist and a foreword by Tool, Tool celebrates the fusion of two of the top talents in the worlds of art and music.

http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?pid=1556435835&ad=FGLBKS

Thanks for finding that. Those first few sentences make a lot of sense. I do not think I would buy this book until I see a performance from it.

Lateral Undertow
02-22-2006, 11:11 AM
It seems odd to me that Tool would relase the book with the DVD. I know Tool can never be trusted to do what we expect but i just don't see DVD's coming with books. (If there are many releases like this please, feel free to enlighten me).
A DVD to me is something to be released with a CD, if you release a DVD with a book you could basically have everything in the book on the DVD anyway. Like a DVD book... ooo! I wonder if they'd do that?

"Not just another live DVD"

It could be a direction they go in i suppose.

Hypothetically, If you were to think of a band that would release a DVD with a book, who would it be? I know I would only think of one band and that would be TOOL. I have come to expect the unexpected with them.

Maine-iak
02-22-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm hoping the DVD will come with the book in a box set, and a section of the book could go through the concert as sort of a companion guide with information on the songs, backdrops, videos, props, lighting, backstage photos, stuff like that. It could also have like a extensive section about the recording of lateralus or how they put together such a moster stage show (lighting, mixing, traveling, setting up everyday, etc).

This is exactly what I was thinking/hoping.

Cucumber_11
02-22-2006, 11:14 AM
The book is by Alex Gray, not by Tool. The retail price for the book is $19.95 I seriously doubt that Tool has anything to do with this book. It's just the artwork that Alex did for Tool. That's all.

Coffee Table Material.

Haha. Contradicted yourself there :P

Cucumber_11
02-22-2006, 11:40 AM
Excuse me. Allow me to rephrase:

Tool had nothing to do with the publication of this book.

Thank you.
Wow, I have so much influence.

*waves hands mystically*

Do my bidding! Eat some pudding.

On topic: Do you think the book will have some of the meanings behind the artwork, which could possibly shed light onto meanings of the album itself? That could be a quite enlightening read.

Christoff
02-22-2006, 11:51 AM
No. Alex Gray's artwork is pretty self-explanatory, though I like it a lot.

Cucumber_11
02-22-2006, 11:59 AM
No. Alex Gray's artwork is pretty self-explanatory, though I like it a lot.
It is unique (atleast in my limited experience of the world), I love the pictures he's got on his site and the pictures of the live shows.

Sadly the closest i've gotten to seeing them live. I am pretty sure i'm going to see them this tour, even got me a ToolArmy account to get pre-released tickets.

*so excited* :-)

Johnny Truant
02-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Excuse me. Allow me to rephrase:

Tool had nothing to do with the publication of this book.

Thank you.
This sumptuous book illustrates that joint artistic process, with previously unpublished photographs of Grey with the band. Featuring an introduction by the artist and a foreword by Tool, Tool celebrates the fusion of two of the top talents in the worlds of art and music.
pwnt?

WearingVans501s
02-22-2006, 12:54 PM
New to the forums, so I apologize if this has been discussed. I did a quick forum search and couldn't find this topic discussed, however.

I have had the upcoming Alex Grey book "TOOL" on my Amazon.com wishlist for some time. However, I noticed today that while it is still on my list, it is now classified as "not available", not even for pre-order. After a Google search for the book, I only came across one site where it was still available for sale, due to be released in May 2006. However, Amazon.com now lists it as "Hardcover - June 2006" if you search on the ISBN.

My question to the forum is could it be that they are delaying the release of the book to coincide with the live DVD? If the book contains pictures of the band and Mr. Grey's artwork from that album/tour, it would make sense that they would release them at the same time to better enable some cross-promotion. Does anyone have any more information on the status of this upcoming book?

please don't tell me you're a fan of Tim Sylvia......thats just stupid

Boozy Eulogist
02-22-2006, 12:59 PM
I can tell you that while the book is coming out through CoSM press, any delays are from the Tool end. The book was finalized in August and looked grand. All that was missing was an intro from Blair and/or Adam, and the band's final approval. Alex liked the idea of Packaging the book with the DVD, and actually developed some computer sketches of what the package could look like. He based the packaging off of the Magnetic Fields 69 Collection. I have no idea if it went beyond that though.

Boozy Eulogist
02-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Is it known what the Alex Grey book will contain,
exactly?

I contains many high quality pictures from all phases of the collaboration.
It was clocking in around 100 pages, and along with the images it details
the collaboration in writing. As far as style, it looks kind of like his
two bigger books, with a great deal of interaction between photos and
writings. Imagine the Tool Section of Alex Grey's site...but MUCH more
detailed. Assuming nothing changes, it will also not be too pricey at all.

orange.juice
02-22-2006, 04:09 PM
Hahahahahah....

...Alex Grey......

ahahahahah...

ok go on.

Boozy Eulogist
02-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Ha, I just used that Sobrity line in a small audio project today. Really ups the fun of the work.

hanger25934
02-22-2006, 04:18 PM
there is some new non tool info up on toolband. who fucking cares ?

Edit: it has to do with alex grey. arseholes

ifrigginghatethis
02-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Why the fuck are you posting this information here? This area is supposed to be used to discuss information pertaining to the new album, you ignorant arsehole.

hanger25934
02-22-2006, 04:26 PM
it has to do with alex grey. and saying arsehole is for kids.

Johnny Truant
02-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Why the fuck are you posting this information here? This area is supposed to be used to discuss information pertaining to the new album, you ignorant arsehole.
Although it isn't about the new album, it is about a book release that has to deal with Tool, and could have a live Tool DVD packaged with it. This seems like the best area to discuss the matter.

ifrigginghatethis
02-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Although it isn't about the new album, it is about a book release that has to deal with Tool, and could have a live Tool DVD packaged with it. This seems like the best area to discuss the matter.

You have to be kidding me -- this area is called "The New Tool Album." Alex grey's book BARELY counts as discussion about the OLD album...

Boozy Eulogist
02-22-2006, 04:33 PM
You have to be kidding me -- this area is called "The New Tool Album." Alex grey's book BARELY counts as discussion about the OLD album...

If you are going to bitch, there are +20 threads here that are more deserving.

rimb
02-22-2006, 04:33 PM

Way to come out of the closet, lurker.....

spitcodfry
02-22-2006, 04:34 PM
Speaking of Alex, Blair just recently posted this on toolband:

TRANSFIGURATIONS
The Mystic Art of Alex Grey

Visionary artist ALEX GREY will be giving an "illustrated" talk at SANCTUARY (Agape International Spiritual Center, 5700 Buckingham Parkway, Culver City, CA. 90230) on MARCH 5, 2006 at 2:30 PM. A Book and poster signing will follow Alex's talk. Tickets are $20.00 and additional information is available at www.agapelive.com or by calling 310-581-0373. A rare chance to hear and meet Alex on the West Coast. We hope to see you there.

Boozy Eulogist
02-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Should be a fun trip.

Johnny Truant
02-22-2006, 04:41 PM
If it really bothers you that much, ask paraflux why he's leaving it in this section instead of moving it. It doesn't seem like anyone else has a problem with the thread being here.

Naga Royal Guard
02-22-2006, 04:44 PM
ROFL

ATObassist
02-22-2006, 06:50 PM

"turn off your television"

Maine-iak
02-23-2006, 05:09 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but originally this area was called "Upcoming and Unreleased" under the Albums section. The mods changed it to solely "The New Album" and for lack of the aforementioned section and no "Upcoming Live DVD" section to speak of, I thought this was the most appropriate place to post the question. Especially considering one of my questions was whether or not said upcoming and yet unreleased live DVD would be released in conjunction with the book.

I'm sorry I didn't send my post to you for pre-approval first. I'll be sure to do that next time as to not upset you so much...

Maine-iak
02-23-2006, 05:10 AM

I have no idea who that is...honestly.

Cucumber_11
02-23-2006, 05:21 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but originally this area was called "Upcoming and Unreleased" under the Albums section. The mods changed it to solely "The New Album" and for lack of the aforementioned section and no "Upcoming Live DVD" section to speak of, I thought this was the most appropriate place to post the question. Especially considering one of my questions was whether or not said upcoming and yet unreleased live DVD would be released in conjunction with the book.

Hehe that post reminded me of one of the guys from Sin City. You know the henchman Bruce Willis keeps hitting over the head, he rabbits on about cars...

Heh...

Well it sounded like him to me! :-P

SpiralReflection
03-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Did I miss something? It was on my Amazon wishlist and now it says "This item is no longer available"

orange.juice
03-05-2006, 12:23 PM
pwnt

SpiralReflection
03-05-2006, 12:26 PM
pwnt

When I searched I didn't see any new threads on it, I guess I missed something

Boozy Eulogist
03-05-2006, 12:29 PM
It's complete. Up to the lawyers now.