PDA

View Full Version : Why Haven't We Heard the Name of the New Album Yet?

millermt
02-19-2006, 08:52 AM
Found these postings on an old toolband news archive (http://www.toolband.com/news/main.html):

2/2/01
Lateralus Song Title's...

1/28/01
The new TOOL album, to be released on April 17th 2001, is entitled LATERALUS.

1/25/01
Tool finished mastering their new album at 9pm EST. Thanx uncle BOB. Members of the band celebrated by drinking 93 DOM and eating lobster.

So for Lateralus, they announced the album name 3 days after it was mastered. The song titles were released 5 days after that. This information has surely been determined for the new album, so why hasn't it been announced?!

Windir
02-19-2006, 08:54 AM
Because Tool loves to see how people like yourself get all fckd up about new info.

millermt
02-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Because Tool loves to see how people like yourself get all fckd up about new info.

It's working.

Nebel
02-19-2006, 09:08 AM
That's what I'm wondering too, the album was mastered on the 30th and it's been 20 days. Although I'm thinking tomorrow will be the day...

toolloot
02-19-2006, 09:11 AM
There is no new album. It's all lies.

TurdEye13
02-19-2006, 09:27 AM
We may never know

mike09
02-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Bibloran?

mike09
02-19-2006, 09:33 AM
or you know, maybe the names arent official yet?

millermt
02-19-2006, 09:38 AM
or you know, maybe the names arent official yet?

I guess I can imagine a scenario where they have names for most of the songs, but haven't decided on the name of the title track. Seems likely it is all decided by now though.

hanger25934
02-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Tool doesn't want to tell us yet. thats why.

Fulcanelli
02-19-2006, 09:44 AM
But I'm sure that the artwork is done so then they should have a name and all that. Also, if there is CD Text added then the names must be finalized. Another point, if the names are still up in the air then why go on a promotional tour? I think that they just don't want to release that info just yet.

Zhelives
02-19-2006, 09:53 AM
Maybe there are no names. That's why Blair artfully dodges naming anything by using asterisks.

Nebel
02-19-2006, 09:59 AM
I think personally that they're ready to announce it when the album has an official release date, as I said, I've got high hopes that we'll hear something tomorrow if not this week as Tool set out on their promo-tour (if they haven't already)(obviously they're gonna have the song titles and the title of the album for that, it's called promotion).

jackfriday
02-19-2006, 10:05 AM
if adam is already shooting a video for the first single, i would imagine the songs all have titles,as does the album.
they just haven't told us yet...for whatever reason.

KILL_CLOWNS
02-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Isn't Adam shooting two videos?

thejesus
02-19-2006, 10:33 AM
Found these postings on an old toolband news archive (http://www.toolband.com/news/main.html):

2/2/01
Lateralus Song Title's...

1/28/01
The new TOOL album, to be released on April 17th 2001, is entitled LATERALUS.

1/25/01
Tool finished mastering their new album at 9pm EST. Thanx uncle BOB. Members of the band celebrated by drinking 93 DOM and eating lobster.

So for Lateralus, they announced the album name 3 days after it was mastered. The song titles were released 5 days after that. This information has surely been determined for the new album, so why hasn't it been announced?!

Just a guess...

Because file sharing was a relatively new phonomenon in early 2001...Tool last album was released in 1996, and they had not yet seen dealt firsthand with the prospect of their songs leaking over the Internet...

The longer the album names and song titles are kept secret, the harder it will be for the album to leak and spread

Christoff
02-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Maybe there are no names. That's why Blair artfully dodges naming anything by using asterisks.

I like that idea.

KILL_CLOWNS
02-19-2006, 10:35 AM
The longer the album names and song titles are kept secret, the harder it will be for the album to leak and spread

That really confuses me. Are you saying that if we know the titles we could magically leak the album without the material? I'd think that there would be a lot of fake leaks but I don't think just knowing the titles would make it easier for it to leak.

ATARI
02-19-2006, 10:39 AM
I don't get it though. If you want to prevent it leaking in the first place, don't tell us that they're recording an album in the first place.

millermt
02-19-2006, 10:40 AM
That really confuses me. Are you saying that if we know the titles we could magically leak the album without the material? I'd think that there would be a lot of fake leaks but I don't think just knowing the titles would make it easier for it to leak.

It does make some sense though. Names wouldn't change whether or not material leaks, but they would change how quickly it would spread. (People would know what to search for.)

Christoff
02-19-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't get it though. If you want to prevent it leaking in the first place, don't tell us that they're recording an album in the first place.

Perhaps the Promo-tour is really a cover for them to really record a new album!

Bogart
02-19-2006, 10:44 AM
I think we'll know a track title or an album title here in a few weeks

thejesus
02-19-2006, 10:47 AM

That confuses me. Are saying that by NOT disclosing the titles, Tool's mkaing it easier for them to leak?

Come on...

The songs could be out there right now for all we know, but since you don't even have a title to search for, you wouldn't know what to type in except "new" and "tool"...at least if you had song names, you could search for those names and then sift though all the fake tracks until you get a real one...

I wouldn't be surprised if Tool doesn't tell the European press the song names and album names on this listening tour...by not disclosing this information, they are protecting their investment...

Christoff
02-19-2006, 10:49 AM
There isn't a listening tour... Its a cover up!

Nebel
I wouldn't be surprised if Tool doesn't tell the European press the song names and album names on this listening tour...by not disclosing this information, they are protecting their investment...

Are you kidding me? The point of the tour is to promote the album, "Album number 4 will be out on May 2nd!", "I really liked song #1 and song #3, they were kick ass!", that's really ridiculous, everything else you say makes sense but that.

thejesus

Better yet, why not just tell us that all the band members died in an accident!

That way, we wouldn't be expecting another album to EVER come out and would be caught completely offguard when it does!

KILL_CLOWNS
02-19-2006, 10:50 AM
That confuses me. Are saying that by NOT disclosing the titles, Tool's mkaing it easier for them to leak?

I'm saying that I HIGHLY doubt the material is out. And I don't think it will leak except maybe a few days before the album.

millermt
02-19-2006, 10:50 AM
I think personally that they're ready to announce it when the album has an official release date, as I said, I've got high hopes that we'll hear something tomorrow if not this week as Tool set out on their promo-tour (if they haven't already)(obviously they're gonna have the song titles and the title of the album for that, it's called promotion).

Yes, this makes sense. For Lateralus they announced the album title along with the release date and then had to postpone the release by a month. So this time they will be certain of the release date before making the announcement. I wonder how long until they can be sure of the release date?...

orange.juice
02-19-2006, 10:51 AM
Yeah, they´ll come up with a world music album featuring lots of guest musicians from England, parts of Europe, Japan and Australia.

thejesus
02-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Are you kidding me? The point of the tour is to promote the album, "Album number 4 will be out on May 2nd!", "I really liked song #1 and song #3, they were kick ass!", that's really ridiculous, everything else you say makes sense but that.

all this is really for is so the press can listen to the songs and then write about them....

you can write a record review without song names or even an album name...they could just refer to it as "Tool's upcomming album"

That said, I'm not saying they will do this...I'm saying that Tool has an interest in protecting their investment, and the longer they keep the titles a secret, their investment will be better protected....Tool knows this, and they will release the info whenever THEY feel the time is right

Nebel
02-19-2006, 11:00 AM
all this is really for is so the press can listen to the songs and then write about them....

you can write a record review without song names or even an album name...they could just refer to it as "Tool's upcomming album"

That said, I'm not saying they will do this...I'm saying that Tool has an interest in protecting their investment, and the longer they keep the titles a secret, their investment will be better protected....Tool knows this, and they will release the info whenever THEY feel the time is right

They've been secretive enough already, I'm not desperate for the titles but the point of a promotional tour is to promote an album, how can a band promote an album without song titles, an album title and a release date? The idea is to get the word out and to give people the information they need. They need to do that if they want the album to sell.

There's already been a few ruses, there have been so many fake titles that I've lost count and fake information, it's about time it's all cleared up, but part of me wants it all to come out coz I'm getting really sick of all these lies that are being spreaded, time to put an end to it once and for all. It's up to them to do that though, I don't mind when they do, I guess you just have to look at it from their perspective.

s ti N Kfizt
02-19-2006, 11:29 AM
why you compare to the old albums.. this is new, the news won't come in the same times everytime. It's good now.

InertUniformity
02-19-2006, 11:40 AM
http://www.toolband.com/news/song_title.html

^ gives me the chills

I can't wait till we get a new one of those...

noisetherapy
02-19-2006, 12:11 PM

^ gives me the chills

goosebumps

SpiralOutKeepGoing
02-19-2006, 12:26 PM

^ gives me the chills

Maynard's Pajamas.

InertUniformity
02-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Maynard's Pajamas.

Of course - thats what I meant.

I can't wait until we get to see the new version of Maynard's pajamas for 2006. Gives me the fuckin chills just thinkin about it.

moneyisevil
02-19-2006, 04:57 PM
i must say the secrecy does add a little special something to the mix...not that i enjoy the complete secrecy but it leaves me fiendin like a crack head who hasnt had a hit in days

moneyisevil
02-19-2006, 04:59 PM

^ gives me the chills

i remember seeing this for the first time and i started drooling on myself..i was so happy to finally see something like this

also i thought that "the patient" was gonna be a song about a patient kind of alike a patient..you know one that has a nurse...funny shit

clarity.
02-19-2006, 05:07 PM
you all obviously haven't realized the "new album" is a hoax.

magnolia
02-19-2006, 06:08 PM
I don't think they're required to follow the same information-release formula every time they make a new record.

zenkinet
02-19-2006, 06:25 PM
I don't think they're required to follow the same information-release formula every time they make a new record.
exactly, there might be other factors playing into the whole scheme of things, that was not present with the release of Lateralus.

Waiting is the best thing we can do.

flipmojo
02-19-2006, 06:48 PM
I do not see how keeping the album title and track names secret will keep the album from leaking. When the CDs are pressed, the songs will leak. When the single hits the radio, the single will leak.

They probably aren't seeing this as "hiding" the names from the fans. There must be some more work to be done before they release them. I can't imagine it will be much though. I really believe we will get the album name first, and really soon. Shortly after that (maybe a couple weeks after), we will get a track listing.

orange.juice
02-19-2006, 07:10 PM
Really, the only reasonable reason i can think of is of promotional type.

Unintelligible_Whispering
02-19-2006, 10:30 PM
i like that idea. would anyone care if they released an album that didnt even list the strack names, like there would actually be names, but they wouldnt bother to tell people what they are.

Goldfoot
02-19-2006, 10:50 PM
i like that idea. would anyone care if they released an album that didnt even list the strack names, like there would actually be names, but they wouldnt bother to tell people what they are.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006LLNU/sr=8-3/qid=1140418216/ref=pd_bbs_3/102-1927345-8815328?%5Fencoding=UTF8

:)

Lateral Undertow
02-20-2006, 11:55 AM
A note on why they might be keeping everything a secret. I was on Amazon.com and I desided to see if they had the new chili peppers album up yet since it is slated for release around the same time as the new tool album. When I searched "red hot chili peppers" it did not come up but when I searched "stadium arcadium" it came up. This may be a reason to keep everything quiet or it may not. Either way it is interesting.

orange.juice
02-20-2006, 12:03 PM
er.. what exactly is the reason?

SpiralOutKeepGoing
02-20-2006, 12:13 PM
er.. what exactly is the reason?

I've got a thought but it's probably wrong. When they released the Lateralus album information in February of 2001 wasn't that before they pushed back the release date to May? If indeed they are going to not push back this record's release anymore then it would make sense for them to announce the info in late February/early March. Just posting some thoughts. Thats all.

Lateral Undertow
02-20-2006, 12:16 PM
because if we knew the name of the album we could search for it on amazon or any other site similar and find the tracklist and release date. It was only a thought and I thought it was strange. I had read this thread earlier today and I thought I might mention it. I admit I could be off base, I just thought that possibly if we knew just a little more info we could find the rest and spoil the surprise.

orange.juice
02-20-2006, 12:19 PM
nvm.

Lateral Undertow
02-20-2006, 12:20 PM

I wouldn't mind, but iTunes might.

Goldfoot
02-20-2006, 12:42 PM
I wouldn't mind, but iTunes might.

iTunes doesn't sell Tool.

Lateral Undertow
02-21-2006, 07:29 AM
iTunes doesn't sell Tool.

I didn't know, just joking that a company such as them might be pissed because they would have to make up a way to list the songs. I don't download music, therefore I don't know any other companies other than iTunes.

kyyuulle
02-21-2006, 07:34 AM
this is clearly because downloading is so huge today. by knowing the album and track names it might be more accessable online

where as 5 years ago it was still relatively new (sorta)

slamminsalmon
02-21-2006, 08:17 AM
no names at all...album names or track names.....

would be so cool

InertUniformity
02-21-2006, 08:45 AM
no names at all...album names or track names.....

would be so cool

I dont really think that would be too cool...

I'm very pleased to hear that Alderan (or whatever) is not the title of the record...but for the life of me I dont know why official info hasnt been released yet....i dont really buy the whole leak thing...so maybe the album isnt totally finished yet?

I dunno

moneyisevil
02-21-2006, 10:18 AM
apparently on the new promo listening tour Tool isnt even letting the listeners know the album name or track names

TurdEye13
02-21-2006, 11:49 AM
...and secretly, Tool changed their name so people can't even search Tool Leak and get one of the new songs.

probably, knowing Tool.

SpiralOutKeepGoing
02-21-2006, 11:54 AM
probably, knowing Tool.

They changed it to the Backstreet Boys that way they knew no one would find the leak.

kabir
02-21-2006, 12:15 PM
you know, if you guys would just ask me, i'd tell you why.

last time around (salival in 2000 and lateralus in 2001), as soon as titles were released, domain names for each title/track name were registered, and a lot of fake merch sites suddenly went live, and a lot of people (according to mjk) got ripped off.

the band doesn't want that to happen again; in fact, they expect to register domains for all new songs and have them point to toolband.

also last time, the album leaked onto the net about a week before release. it was disheartening for the band, and they're hopeful it won't happen again.

Nebel
02-21-2006, 12:17 PM

last time around (salival in 2000 and lateralus in 2001), as soon as titles were released, domain names for each title/track name were registered, and a lot of fake merch sites suddenly went live, and a lot of people (according to mjk) got ripped off.

the band doesn't want that to happen again; in fact, they expect to register domains for all new songs and have them point to toolband.

also last time, the album leaked onto the net about a week before release. it was disheartening for the band, and they're hopeful it won't happen again.

Yeah it does suck, to see all their hard work get leaked out like that but leaks are very very hard to be prevented, one slip and then the cd could be leaked, I haven't seen one band get away with it however some I know have leaked only 2-3 days before the release.

Lamb & Martyr^
02-21-2006, 12:30 PM
I hate leaks, especially from bands like Tool. I would never listen to a leak, I respect the artists to much.

Chris_Brightwell
02-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Just a guess...

Because file sharing was a relatively new phonomenon in early 2001...Tool last album was released in 1996, and they had not yet seen dealt firsthand with the prospect of their songs leaking over the Internet.Sorry to say it, but you're wrong on this one.

Lateralus leaked about a week before release.

millermt
02-21-2006, 12:46 PM

Jesus, if that's all we're waiting for, just tell me the track names and I'll register them in the band's name for them!

The leaks are going to happen, it's just inevitable. A member of the band can't escort every CD shipment to every retail warehouse. Leaking a week before release isn't too bad if you think about it!

moneyisevil
02-21-2006, 12:50 PM
the album wont leak if they arent giving actual copies out..it seems they are being tip-top secretive on this one....shit no album name...no track name...no cd in hand...just a listen

insaner
02-21-2006, 12:57 PM

so i ask you this, have they taken measures to try and prevent the album from being leaked when it is being pressed?

oh, and hey hows it goin?

pris0n
02-21-2006, 01:07 PM

Hahaha, I feel like an asshole now.

But for the record if they would have used teleincision as the title I would have gladly given the domain to them... for some backstage passes of course.

dracomordag
02-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Blair will reveal stuff soon, but not too soon. My guess is mid-March. Which is not too far, if you think about it.

The album will obviously leak (there's essentially no way to stop it), but likely not long before it comes out. And the leak will probably not be the final version

millermt
02-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Why doesn't the band themselves already register all names and stuff? That would make life easier for them. They got a record company and Blair to deal with these things!

Blair is a drunk, so he probably can't be trusted to do the registering. The band is too busy doing the important things to worry about domain name issues. And if you've ever ordered anything from toolarmy and waited months to get it, you already know how inept the people working there are!

ATARI
02-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Does anybody know why Blair is in charge of news?

Johnny Truant
02-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Look at your sig

dark_Speedo
02-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Sexual relationships with some of the band members.

Nemesis
02-21-2006, 03:16 PM
If the music journos are not even getting names of tracks and the album, we might not find out this information for a long time yet still.

Sleep
02-21-2006, 03:54 PM
As much as I hate to say it, the album will leak. Regardless of what the band do it'll only limit how early or late it leaks.

It happens to every artist. Some take more precautions then others and that leads to the album leaking closer to the release date.

#Notion
02-21-2006, 03:57 PM
That's what I'm thinking... Do they plan to keep them secret until release?

hanger25934
02-21-2006, 04:20 PM
its literally impossible to keep the album from leaking at least a few days before the release. trust me my uncle told me. or was it my record executive cousin?

LetGoLetgoLetGo
02-21-2006, 04:23 PM

justinchancellor.net or .com or something of that nature.....redirects to toolband.com

edit: I guess that was somewhat pointless.

KILL_CLOWNS
02-21-2006, 04:37 PM
its literally impossible to keep the album from leaking at least a few days before the release. trust me my uncle told me. or was it my record executive cousin?

Mainly because the people who get it at cd stores end up taking them home a few days early and I know the first thing I do with a cd after listening to it is rip it onto my computer. Because it will be stratched eventually.

Opiate_Mass
02-21-2006, 04:43 PM
I Personally think it would be cool and "Toolish" if they didn't give out any official promotion for the new album and just got it to the shelves of music stores without people knowing. That way observant people could get the new album, and unintelligent people would still be going "Where's the album?"
Now THAT would screw with people's heads xD

Unifaun
02-21-2006, 05:08 PM
How exactly would knowing when the album was on shelves make you intelligent?

slamminsalmon
02-21-2006, 05:49 PM
i think its kind of cool, it would be a word of mouth kind of marketing, i dont see it happening tho

Wretched
02-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Livide.com goes to Toolband.com :o

dracomordag
02-21-2006, 06:19 PM
How exactly would knowing when the album was on shelves make you intelligent?

+1

slamminsalmon
02-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Livide.com goes to Toolband.com :o

http://www.livide.com/
not for me

Johnny Truant
02-21-2006, 06:43 PM
not for me

Vlad
02-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Holy shit its all new members here...

I thought the mods banned mainstream email adresses?

ATARI
02-21-2006, 06:56 PM
the french are coming!

orange.juice
02-21-2006, 07:01 PM
.....and they´re bringing cheeses...!

SpiralOutKeepGoing
02-21-2006, 09:24 PM
.....and they´re bringing cheeses...!

what kind of cheese?

orange.juice
02-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Tourrée Le Rustique

rimb
02-21-2006, 09:46 PM
Stink brie

orange.juice
02-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Stink brie
Brie does not stink.

Epoisses de Bourgogne

SpiralOutKeepGoing
02-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Tourrée Le Rustique

I should have never asked cause this was the kind of answer I knew I would get. One that I never heard of.

thejesus
02-22-2006, 10:30 AM

lol, this is funny now in retrospect...

I hate to say "I told you so", but, well.... :D

this is from Andy King's review of the new album...

"There is something delightfully Toolian about staging a series of European album press/radio playback and meet-the-new-Record-Company’ dates whilst not only not
revealing the name of said new album but also keeping all the track titles themselves firmly under wraps."

Nebel
02-22-2006, 10:32 AM
lol, this is funny now in retrospect...

I hate to say "I told you so", but, well.... :D

this is from Andy King's review of the new album...

"There is something delightfully Toolian about staging a series of European album press/radio playback and meet-the-new-Record-Company’ dates whilst not only not
revealing the name of said new album but also keeping all the track titles themselves firmly under wraps."

lol, I owe you an apology, you were right after all

kyyuulle
02-22-2006, 10:33 AM
so is it settled that this was a fake review and this "radio dj" was full of shit/cum/penis?

Andorion
02-22-2006, 10:35 AM
so is it settled that this was a fake review and this "radio dj" was full of shit/cum/penis?

Oh for fuck sake.

InertUniformity
02-22-2006, 10:39 AM

wtf? Come on now...

This review is certainly real - its sad (but good for us) that the author was a giddy idiot and posted it early - but i dont have any reason to believe this is false.

It's still posted here at TDN news and on distortion online....

Keep in mind that distortion online DEBUNKED the Aldaraia rumors...they've done nothing of the sort with regards to the King interview.

kyyuulle
02-22-2006, 10:44 AM
there is a quote i've always lived by and it is "believe those who seek the truth, doubt those who have claimed to find it."

so no matter what happens, i'm highly skeptical of some ambiguous review from this guy

thejesus
02-22-2006, 10:45 AM
lol, I owe you an apology, you were right after all

no, it's cool...

On the one hand it does seem strange for a band to do this...if, for no other reason, because no one has ever done it before...

But I think Tool are in a unique position to be able to have a listening tour with no names given their abnormally loyal fan base...they know the album is going double platinum even if the single never sees the light of day and doesn't get played on the radio once...

thejesus
02-22-2006, 10:48 AM
there is a quote i've always lived by and it is "believe those who seek the truth, doubt those who have claimed to find it."

so no matter what happens, i'm highly skeptical of some ambiguous review from this guy

I remember reading Andy King's review of Lateralus back before the record came out like it was yesterday...this one has the same sort of feel to it

Everything I know tells me this is legit...

kyyuulle
02-22-2006, 10:50 AM
maybe we've all just been jaded from previous album release experiences, but you've got to admit the details of the review were vague

Andy King says he's been a Tool fan for a while now, he knows how excited the fans get when there is an inkling of news...perhaps he was just stirring the bubbling cauldron

who knows

InertUniformity
02-22-2006, 11:04 AM
I think its good that everyone is skeptical - it makes sense that people are reluctant to believe this stuff (seeing as its not official), but BMB did say their would be leaks - and by all means this is the most legitimate we have discovered thus far.

Sure it was sketchy - a bit vague maybe, but I'm not sure how I would write up a review of a tool album on only two listens. I can say however that it would be quite vague. I imagine it would be the same with most people here.

I think the Andy King interview is totally legit - but i think we should keep in mind that its really a silly (perhaps pointless) review when you think about it - because it is based on his first impressions of what sounds like a mindfuckingly deep album.

Its exciting though.

kyyuulle
02-22-2006, 11:15 AM
i'm just thinking to myself "where are all of the other journo reviews?"

InertUniformity
02-22-2006, 11:30 AM
i'm just thinking to myself "where are all of the other journo reviews?"

Recall the embargo that is supposedly set in place. We weren't supposed to see the King review. I must assume that there are other interviews out there - but they haven't been posted/released because the people managing them are actually responsible as opposed to being cheeky fanboys

kyyuulle
02-22-2006, 12:08 PM
ah!

perhaps the band should make it a VIP special guest list listening album party then, that way they can interrogate those who get to listen beforehand

Wretched
02-22-2006, 07:04 PM
not for me

it still works for me.

5th Eye
02-23-2006, 04:46 AM
There is no new name yet, according to someone at the London listening party who talked to Danny and Justin (here (http://www.toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=772689&postcount=32)).

I wouldn't worry about it anyway.

zenkinet
02-23-2006, 06:16 AM
There is no new name yet, according to someone at the London listening party who talked to Danny and Justin (here (http://www.toolnavy.com/showpost.php?p=772689&postcount=32)).

I wouldn't worry about it anyway.
I don't know if that can be trusted, if that person claims to be who he is, he sure has very bad spelling, if he is in the industry wouldn't you think he would know how to spell Label properly?

5th Eye
02-23-2006, 06:17 AM
True, I'm always skeptical; I neither believe nor disbelieve at this point. Even though I said I did. (Shhh.)

zenkinet
02-23-2006, 06:22 AM
True, I'm always skeptical; I neither believe nor disbelieve at this point. Even though I said I did. (Shhh.)
Well, I am in school for illustration and I believe that a title has to be known, because artwork and art direction takes a long time to complete (not to mention the printing process) not 2 months before the cd's release, and usually the designer/artist needs to know the title to work in the concept into the artwork.

However they might just slap on a black semi-transparent cover with the title onto the CD cover like they did on Lateralus. :P

Chris_Brightwell
02-23-2006, 06:54 AM
I don't know if that can be trusted [...]Two weeks ago, the album was still untitled. Rather, if it was titled, they weren't releasing its name.

gerbil
02-23-2006, 07:16 AM
I hate you cause you know so much.

zenkinet
02-23-2006, 07:18 AM
Two weeks ago, the album was still untitled. Rather, if it was titled, they weren't releasing its name.
We all know Tool is very secretive, but we have to look at things logically, production and pressing of cd's takes time and if the title isn't known to the band and other artists involved in artwork production for the album, May seems to be a little far fetched release date. I say they know the title, but its just they are just not telling.

millermt
02-23-2006, 10:52 AM
We all know Tool is very secretive, but we have to look at things logically, production and pressing of cd's takes time and if the title isn't known to the band and other artists involved in artwork production for the album, May seems to be a little far fetched release date. I say they know the title, but its just they are just not telling.

It's like my wife and I telling everyone who asks that we haven't picked out a name for our son, who is due at the end of June. It's easier than telling people we don't want to reveal that info.

grime_z
02-23-2006, 11:00 AM
It's easier than telling people we don't want to reveal that info.

You have a good point, and I hope that we find out soon.

zenkinet
02-23-2006, 11:02 AM

With this said however, it is possible that it is self-titled, the Deftones did it and countless others.

TurdEye13
02-23-2006, 01:49 PM
How can they decide on a name when they get back? That sounds ridiculous! They will return around mid-March

grime_z
02-23-2006, 02:05 PM
Perhaps a self-titled for their final album? Kinda like saying, this is definitive Tool.

Chris_Brightwell
02-23-2006, 02:06 PM
I'm really growing weary of the "Final Album" rumors.

Nebel
02-23-2006, 02:14 PM
This isn't gonna be the final Tool album, I guarentee we'll see at least one more Tool album after this, and just like this new one, it'll be a natural progression.

Chris_Brightwell
02-23-2006, 02:19 PM
I guarentee we'll see at least one more Tool album after this.This is just as pointless (and unfounded) as saying it's Tool's final album.

Come on, folks. Just chill out and sit tight.

Nebel
02-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Yes you're right, but isn't that what this particular forum is comprised of most of the time? Baseless speculation...

Chris_Brightwell
02-23-2006, 02:23 PM
Yes you're right, but isn't that what this particular forum is comprised of most of the time? Baseless speculation...There's a difference between baseless and pointless.

Goldfoot
02-23-2006, 02:26 PM
There's a difference between baseless and pointless.

That and it's been made very clear it's not the Rumor Mill anymore.

moneyisevil
02-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Tool gets a hard on for keeping their fans in the palms of their hands

Boozy Eulogist
02-23-2006, 02:49 PM
According to Berthas who was at that same session with Andy, Danny and Justin said they still had a few names to pick between.

I wouldn't doubt it, as a few months ago Alex Grey talked about how Adam had told him that they had about a hundred names and that picking one could be "harder than writing the album itself". While it was all rather laid back, I imagine it could still be an issue.

zenkinet
02-23-2006, 02:55 PM
According to Berthas who was at that same session with Andy, Danny and Justin said they still had a few names to pick between.

I wouldn't doubt it, as a few months ago Alex Grey talked about how Adam had told him that they had about a hundred names and that picking one could be "harder than writing the album itself". While it was all rather laid back, I imagine it could still be an issue.

can't wait to see what they come up with.

Nebel
02-23-2006, 03:24 PM

How's my post pointless though? It's baseless yes but not pointless, I was going by a quote in the latest newsletter from Blair.

Nebel
02-23-2006, 03:26 PM

one hundred? WOW! Thanks for that btw

InertUniformity
02-23-2006, 07:54 PM
one hundred names - probably an exaggeration but still, good lord

i guess we might not necessarily see an album title match up with a track title this time...

millermt
02-24-2006, 04:44 AM
It's been 10 days since there has been any info about the new album or upcoming tour posted on toolarmy. That's the longest stretch without news since 2006 began. With the whole Andy King incident and everything, you'd think BMB was getting bombarded with e-mails, and yet no response? Seems strange. Hope that whole mess didn't make the band issue a complete lockdown that includes even Blair!

orange.juice
02-24-2006, 10:22 AM
hmmmm..... "plan B"

Inner_Eulogy
02-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Maynard should do a song with K-Fed (Kevin Federline)...hehe

Carny_Handles
02-24-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm really growing weary of the "Final Album" rumors.

as you should, its a known fact that this IS tools last album. They have 2 more on contract and their last album will be a best of/salval deal with all their music videos. Its just a fact of life man.

Unintelligible_Whispering
02-24-2006, 07:33 PM
sometimes you even get both rolled into a convenient package

teleincision
02-24-2006, 07:57 PM
ya, we all are living in a alternate reality where new cds dont come out and ponys fly....

dont we?

thejesus
02-25-2006, 06:04 AM
All this speculation about whether or not the album even has a name yet seems rather silly to me...

Is it not blatantly obvious to anyone else that the motivation behind not disclosing the names is to help prevent the record from leaking?

I'd be doing the exact same thing if I were them..

Opiate_Mass
02-25-2006, 07:33 PM

yeah, they aren't too bright.
if they were smart, they'd use my idea of just releasing the album in music stores, WITHOUT any publicity (that would be awesome).
then the really observant people would see it's out, BUT there'd be no goddamn leaks.
plus that method would go along with TOOL's acclaimed anonymity (mysteriousness for those of you not well educated).

Opiate_Mass
02-25-2006, 07:35 PM
Perhaps a self-titled for their final album? Kinda like saying, this is definitive Tool.

it's not going to their last albumn.
"as long as there's air in my lungs, i'll keep making music"
maynard james keenan himself said that sometime around the lateralus albumn i think.

Opiate_Mass
02-25-2006, 07:38 PM
one hundred names - probably an exaggeration but still, good lord

i guess we might not necessarily see an album title match up with a track title this time...

"technically" aenima didn't have a track title matching the albumn title either.
"Technically!"

rimb
02-25-2006, 10:25 PM
"technically" aenima didn't have a track title matching the albumn title either.
"Technically!"

And let's not forget the "Lateralis" fiasco...

Opiate_Mass
02-25-2006, 10:43 PM
And let's not forget the "Lateralis" fiasco...
indeed

Opiate_Mass
02-26-2006, 02:08 AM
What's wrong with Lateralis, every album I see of Lateralus, even is stores now have a track called Lateralis, Fiasco nothing.

my albumn says ralUs.......

rimb
02-26-2006, 03:07 AM
The misprint (ie Lateralis) was only on the first million (or 2) I think.

Ryan
02-26-2006, 03:11 AM
********* So the back of the CD lists this song title as "Lateralis" ...

Ah, the new six-million-dollar question.

As "Salival" was fraught with production errors, so too was the album "Lateralus". Unlike the intentional different spellings of the song "Ænema" and the album "Ænima", done so to differentiate between the meanings of the two, the title of this song is meant to be spelled the SAME as the album. Once the error was brought to the band's attention, two million copies had already been printed - and many of those already sold. Subsequent printings of the album are scheduled to have a corrected spelling of the song title: "Lateralus."

The official site has posted interactive animations of the new album with the same misspelling, but they have also explicitly corroborated the correct spelling as being with a "U".

Nemesis
02-26-2006, 03:17 AM
This isn't gonna be the final Tool album, I guarentee we'll see at least one more Tool album after this, and just like this new one, it'll be a natural progression.

I envisage Tool going on like the Rolling Stones, well into their 90's, releasing rubbish albums, but their concerts showcase their hits from yesteryear.

Opiate_Mass
02-26-2006, 03:54 AM
thanks for that info