PDA

View Full Version : Fears for the new album...

evfain
02-18-2006, 12:04 AM
I know all of us here have a slight fear that the new album will not live up to our expecations. This is kind of what we make it out to be ourselves; we can set our dreams of what it'll sound like and mean. But considering that band members (especially Danny) have noted it will sound harder, I'm concerned as to how this will compare to past records, especially Lateralus. Now, granted, I'm one of those Tool fans that think Lateralus is a "be all, end all" piece of music. But what really impressed me, and what got me to check out Tool's older catalog, was how overwhelmingly positive the messages in Lateralus were. Now, there are a couple exceptions (Ticks and Leeches comes to mind), but by and large that album carried with it a sense of optimism and togetherness that you find absent in a lot of rock. That is what , partially at least (I'd be remiss not to mention that the music itself blows most acts away), has set Tool apart from other hard rock acts, in my mind at least.

It's just my opinion, but regardless of how progressive or great the music of the new album will be, if indeed there is a regression in terms of message, this new album that we are all looking forward to so much will be somewhat of a disappointment to me. Anyone have any similar concerns, or want to tell me to chilll out and give me some perspective?

KJM
02-18-2006, 12:19 AM
No, I was already dissapointed by Lateralus. My dissapointment has already come and gone.

just simulacra
02-18-2006, 12:23 AM
even though i don't think any song will top lateralus ...
i don't think any album will top aenima.
so as far as albums go ...

Ryan
02-18-2006, 12:28 AM
maynard has already taken his disappointment poop on apc with eMOTIVe. it can only go up from here.

Cid
02-18-2006, 12:33 AM
even though i don't think any song will top lateralus ...
i don't think any album will top aenima.
so as far as albums go ...

i completely agree....

LetGoLetgoLetGo
02-18-2006, 01:55 AM
No, I was already dissapointed by Lateralus. My dissapointment has already come and gone.

My disapointment is the fact that someone could actually mean this.
To each his own...........

varg
02-18-2006, 02:11 AM
maynard has already taken his disappointment poop on apc with eMOTIVe. it can only go up from here.
Exactly.

mike09
02-18-2006, 06:25 AM
When I read that Maynard was experimenting with the evolution of voice and singing, it made me fear that the new album was shitty. It's not on it, though, so thank goodness.

Emperor
02-18-2006, 06:27 AM

You're insane, I would say to each his own but... no, you're just insane.

Lateralus is one of the best albums of all time and is FAR superior to Aenima.

josef k.
02-18-2006, 06:36 AM

la te ra lus and aenima are simply different. I never compared this two wonderful works.

Wretched
02-18-2006, 07:01 AM
la te ra lus and aenima are simply different. I never compared this two wonderful works.

I've never compared them either.

They merely were in two different mind states when the made the different albums. They will be in a different mind state for this album too.

You can all expect epic pieces, and thoughtful lyrics I'm sure. They already said the stuff is epic, and since Undertow, they've been boggling us with lyrics. I suspect that'll continue.

If it isn't positive throughout the whole album, is that a really big loss? I think some of the negative shit they pulled off is pretty good. Stuff like Aenema, and Pushit.

And think about it, are many of their songs complete negative shit works? Opiate and Undertow share an immature negativeness towards to the world, but Aenima has a wonderful mix(H., Stinkfist, Third Eye) and for negatives, besides the aforementioned ones (Eulugy, Hooker With a Penis). Plus most of their negative songs have a positive message to varying degrees.

I don't know what to expect from this album, but I do expect it to be better than Chinese Democracy.

Nebel
02-18-2006, 07:27 AM
Just don't expect a Lateralus pt. 2, much like people were expecting Lateralus to be an Aenima pt. 2, this won't be, it's the next stage and an entirely new phase, it'll be much different, the same leap Aenima was to Lateralus, if you're expecting Lateralus pt. 2 you'll be dissapointed.

TurdEye13
02-18-2006, 07:52 AM
Tool fans set the bar very high for every release, so it's hard to meet those high expectations. But somehow they seem to deliver the goods time and time again. The reason for these high expectations probably stems from the long wait fans often have to put up with, so we naturally have fears when it comes to our new Tool material.

slamminsalmon
02-18-2006, 07:57 AM
whatever drops it will blow us away guaranteed....

zenkinet
02-18-2006, 08:06 AM
meh... I don't think apc is Maynards "baby" if you know what I mean, Tool seems to be a constant, while apc has gone through a lot of line up changes, could be the reason for eMOTIVE.

Ktuluvic
02-18-2006, 08:08 AM
It's just my opinion, but regardless of how progressive or great the music of the new album will be, if indeed there is a regression in terms of message, this new album that we are all looking forward to so much will be somewhat of a disappointment to me.

Heavy doesn't mean angry; angry doesn't mean regression in message.

Cid
02-18-2006, 10:05 AM

i couldn't go as far to say i was disappointed by lateralus, it's my second favorite album of all time. but it's not "FAR" superior than aenima, in my opinion. aenima is very slightly superior to lateralus, so....to each his own.

Fulcanelli
02-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Why debate which is the better album between "Lateralus" and "Aenima" when we could be discussing who would win in a fight between Batman and Spiderman?

orange.juice
02-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Star destroyer versus the Enterprise?

KJM
02-18-2006, 10:23 AM
You can call me whatever you want. How many of you that really think lateralus is their best work were listening to aenima since it had come out? That was my benchmark. They didn't pass it.

It hate the entire sound of lateralus. I hate stupid corny songs like ticks and leeches. I hate the empty/gross production the hits my ears when the album comes on. To each his own indeed.

Nebel
02-18-2006, 10:28 AM
I hate the empty/gross production the hits my ears when the album comes on.

Elaborate.

KILL_CLOWNS
02-18-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm very optimistic about the new album, I don't think could make something that I don't like, but who knows.

Ktuluvic
02-18-2006, 10:35 AM
How many of you that really think lateralus is their best work were listening to aenima since it had come out?

I've been listening since aenima came out and I think lateralus is their best work in terms of technical abilities. Flood is my favorite song however. Other than that I don't really rank the albums, I love them all and they all suit different moods.

Fulcanelli
02-18-2006, 10:52 AM
You can call me whatever you want. How many of you that really think lateralus is their best work were listening to aenima since it had come out? That was my benchmark. They didn't pass it.

It hate the entire sound of lateralus. I hate stupid corny songs like ticks and leeches. I hate the empty/gross production the hits my ears when the album comes on. To each his own indeed.

I listened to Aenima since it came out as well but I don't know which album is better. Sometimes I like Aenima and sometimes I like Lateralus. They are quite different pieces and I like them both.

It's odd, IMO, that you hate the sound of Lateralus but are on this board in anticipation of the new album. If I hated a band's last album that much then I don't think that I would be anticipating the next CD so much. We're all differemt. I suppose.

Anyway, if you call Ticks and Leeches corny then you should add Hooker with a Penis to that as well.

SpiralOutKeepGoing
02-18-2006, 12:34 PM
I fear this new album will never come out.

moneyisevil
02-18-2006, 12:40 PM
honestly you cant compare tool albums to one other....if you really listen to opiate/undertow and then play Aenima...it sounds so evolved...then if you listen to Lateralus after listening to Aenima, Lateralus sounds so evolved. I wasn;t around for the release of Aenima, but if i was I would have shit my pants.

Tool has all kinds of tricks up their sleeves, and i dont think this new album will dissapoint. Plus, what you're expecting it to sound like is not how the album is gonna sound like.

clarity.
02-18-2006, 01:05 PM
i trust that they know what they're doing. since i started listening to tool a couple years ago, my musical tastes have expanded and i feel that i will be able to appreciate whatever they can come up with.

evfain
02-18-2006, 02:22 PM
I honestly didn't see Lateralus as being positive.

They aren't positive or negative in a way... it depends on how you listen to them. I find the album to be more negative than positive.

That's a good point, but why did you think it was negative? Just about every song (except Ticks and Leeches) I thought ended up having a positive message. Sometimes it's easy to see (The Patient, Parabola, Reflection, Lateralus), and sometimes its a bit tougher. I thought Schism was chilling in how down it was upon the first few listens, but since then I've come to interpret the meaning as be patient with a loved one. And the negative parts are more of a warning than blindly negative: "Cold silence has/a tendancy to/atrophy any/sense of compassion/between supposed lovers" I took to mean as, if you let a relationship fall by the wayside, be prepared for the consequences. But carry an optimism with it too that it does have merit ("I know the pieces fit").

Anyway, I digress. It's true that it could be either positive or negative depending on personal interpretation. That said, some of the tracks no doubt carry with them very clear messages that everything is going to be OK.

Ryan
02-18-2006, 02:47 PM

i'm glad i'm not the only who began feeling this way.

KJM
02-18-2006, 03:22 PM
I listened to Aenima since it came out as well but I don't know which album is better. Sometimes I like Aenima and sometimes I like Lateralus. They are quite different pieces and I like them both.

It's odd, IMO, that you hate the sound of Lateralus but are on this board in anticipation of the new album. If I hated a band's last album that much then I don't think that I would be anticipating the next CD so much. We're all differemt. I suppose.

Anyway, if you call Ticks and Leeches corny then you should add Hooker with a Penis to that as well.

You think it's odd that I disliked a bands last album, one out of several releases, and believe I should give up on a band I've been listening to--my first favorite band--since I was 11? Eh, no?

Hooker with a penis is funny. Ticks and leeches is some serious lame ass song with a terrible empty ugly verse.

Elaborate.

I think the guitars sound fuzzy, the drums sound dull, the snare sounds sharp, the bottom end doesn't sound good (I hate the way the bass just doesn't stand out as much as it should during the grudge in those double bass sections (bass, and drums that is), and the vocals sound like they were recorded in someone's bedroom. It just doesn't suit me.

I don't think it's so terrible that no one should enjoy it, just for me it sounds too empty. Where as a lot of people thought aenima was muddy and too compresed at times, I liked that sound.

mike09
02-18-2006, 03:57 PM
You think it's odd that I disliked a bands last album, one out of several releases, and believe I should give up on a band I've been listening to--my first favorite band--since I was 11? Eh, no?

Hooker with a penis is funny. Ticks and leeches is some serious lame ass song with a terrible empty ugly verse.

I think the guitars sound fuzzy, the drums sound dull, the snare sounds sharp, the bottom end doesn't sound good (I hate the way the bass just doesn't stand out as much as it should during the grudge in those double bass sections (bass, and drums that is), and the vocals sound like they were recorded in someone's bedroom. It just doesn't suit me.

I don't think it's so terrible that no one should enjoy it, just for me it sounds too empty. Where as a lot of people thought aenima was muddy and too compresed at times, I liked that sound.

Have any opinion you want, but come on dude, admit it. "Disposition" fucking owns.

Christoff
02-18-2006, 04:06 PM
There is something in Aenima that is special. Lateralus, as an album, doesn't have it.

My only fear for this next album is that I will have to withdraw from life and surrender to its excellence...

EDIT - Parabola/Ticks and Leeches feel to me as if they lack the creative energy that flows effortlessly from just about every other tune on Lateralus and Aenima... For me this means Lateralus is an album with a rotten core. Perhaps I don't understand them musically speaking, but there is nothing in either songs to turn me on, so to speak.

The Grudge, The Patient, Schism, Lateralus, Disposition and Reflection are all on a plane far higher than the pieces in Aenima, yet as a whole Aenima works because it is balanced and the songs and segues work together. It just feels right.

KJM
02-18-2006, 05:15 PM
I completely agree. Parabola and ticks and leeches are just boring rock songs to me.

About disposition..yea it's good. But the length of it was so unnecessary. It feels like I'm listening to Frances the Mute and there's some quote of time that has to be met.

I also prefer the darker sounds. I'll take eulogy, 46&2, aenema, and pushit over any of those. They're so much more climactic imo than anything on lateralus.

I really dislike the riff in schism btw. The first time I heard it I was praying it was a demo. That's how much I dislike the song.

InertUniformity
02-18-2006, 05:41 PM
Aenima is great...but I dont know what you expected out of lateralus...Aenima II?

What I love the most about Lateralus is the fact that its sound reflects a spiritual growth/healing that the band has gone through - not just lyrically of course, musically too...IMO, Lateralus, as an album just made sense - and thats what made it beautiful (well...not just that)

Certainly the new album will be more musically evolved (for better or worse) I think the question is what will the mood of the album be.

I would love a more cynical Aenima-esque piece that retains the depth and complexity of lateralus.

KJM
02-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Yes I expected them to make Aenima 2 "Bohica".

5th Eye
02-18-2006, 06:28 PM
the bottom end doesn't sound good (I hate the way the bass just doesn't stand out as much as it should during the grudge in those double bass sections (bass, and drums that is)You, my friend, are 100% absolutely right.

a788
02-18-2006, 06:41 PM

wonderfully put... although there was a couple good songs from eMOTIVe, i wasn't impressed. i built it up to be too good, and i was dissapointed.

i am kind of worried about the album being too hard for my likings, but if it's anything remotely similar to anything like in aenima/ opiate/ undertow (i consider those to be harder), i'll like it.

also my fear

ATARI
02-18-2006, 06:53 PM
think the guitars sound fuzzy, the drums sound dull, the snare sounds sharp, the bottom end doesn't sound good (I hate the way the bass just doesn't stand out as much as it should during the grudge in those double bass sections (bass, and drums that is), and the vocals sound like they were recorded in someone's bedroom. It just doesn't suit me.

The gutiar does sound fuzzy on Parabola, but other than that it sounds pretty good.There is always one song thath as bad tone on in the bunch. Pushit also for some reason, the guitar sounds really fuzzy and is portruded too much in the background.

However, as for the drums, what can I say, other than Lateralus is full of that full drum tone that very few bands have ever gotten. Maybe you have just listened to too much compressed pop music, but the drums have a full range of dynamics, and the album's production shows that. If you want a low bassy drum, then start listening to techno.

The bass guitar not standing out enough? This isn't the productions fault, but rather more of the music itself. If you're listening for a low, rumbling bass line on songs, you'll never find it, as the bass is doing other crazy things, which sounds an awful lot like the guitar (notably, schism, the grudge, etc etc). If you want more bass, just turn up the low end of your EQ knobs and see how things like that work.

Anyways, if anything, it's a whole lot better sounding than Aenima. Aenima is too muddy, and if you enjoy that more, well that's just you being wierd.

That being said, I still feel that Aenima is the band's strongest work, but Lateralus is definatley very close. Aenima is a perfect album from all aspects, and for me, the only part of Lateralus that I don't really like is Parabola, whereas other than that, it blows out of the water, ify ou know what I mean

KJM
02-18-2006, 07:28 PM
lol I think it's hilarious that you seemed to try and attack my opinion rather than just deal with it.

I said people tend to say aenima sounds muddy, guess you missed it. Yea It does (lateralus) sound uncompressed, I think I've said that before on the board multiple times. I don't see your point when I've agreed to a lot of these thoughts previously.

As for the bass line being "crazy" and guitar-like..on the section of the grudge I think not..no..I know it's not.

What's wrong with electronic music? You listen to a band that uses synths and samples and then act like I should go listen to my dumbass electronic beatz, as if it's something terrible. There's nothing wrong with wanting bottom end and liking a FULL sound. Because that is after all what I would call it. Making use of the full sonic spectrum and all that good stuff.

Pushit doesn't sound fuzzy, it sounds muddy. I like it that way. You apparently prefer fuzzy, why that makes me weirder than you I am unclear.

One more thing, there is NOTHING wrong with pop music. Just because you automatically assume if it's catchy it sucks doesn't mean it does. It just makes you an ass for acting as though others are fools for liking it. Hate all the music you want, whatever you have to do. Just don't try telling me what's good and isn't. Because with your apparent narrow view on music, I'm not sure how you'd know.

lachrymoIogy
02-18-2006, 09:05 PM
the only people who don't like lateralus, are ***s who think that tool is metal. fas who like korn, disturbed, staind, slipknot, hatebreed, coheed and cambria( and think these bands are metal too)....and so on. It will be better than lateralus, because thats how it goes. everything new is better than the last. if it isn't, it'll be the last album. ( and since when wasn't lateralus hard? It has more complex time signatures, and more double kick than aenima and undertow. have you ever listened to The grudge, ticks and leeches, triad?)

KJM
02-18-2006, 09:11 PM
are you taking part in the same conversation? cause it doesn't look like it. who are you suppose to be talking to?

lachrymoIogy
02-18-2006, 09:15 PM
are you taking part in the same conversation? cause it doesn't look like it. who are you suppose to be talking to?anyoe who wants to listen.

Emperor
02-18-2006, 09:21 PM

*Left eye begins twitching* hand goes towards illegal AK-47 in closet...

NO... must... resist...

magnolia
02-18-2006, 09:21 PM
the only people who don't like lateralus, are ***s who think that tool is metal. fas who like korn, disturbed, staind, slipknot, hatebreed, coheed and cambria( and think these bands are metal too)....and so on.
i think Lateralus is the best metal album of my generation.

UnasTheSlayer
02-18-2006, 09:41 PM
i think Lateralus is the best metal album of my generation.

For the love of all that is holy please tell me you're joking. Don't get me wrong, I love Tool. I also love metal, and last I checked Tool isn't metal.

KJM
02-18-2006, 09:52 PM
What makes metal metal? Tool has a lot metal characteristics. Are you kidding? I don't think sabbath sounds anything like pantera but they're both definitely metal. Even Zeppelin is considered to be part of the beginning of what we know as metal. What excludes tool? Agressive distorted riffs, drums, and vocals. Yea not metal at all.

Just even thinking about the influences they claim musically. I know you guys want the band to be something you can't categorize, but you can. Really easily.

lachrymoIogy - don't you find it ironic that you're suggesting everyone like the same thing when the band you're pushing always tells peoeple not to blindly follow?

gerbil
02-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Alternative rock.

KJM
02-18-2006, 10:26 PM
The terms alternative rock and alternative music[1] were coined in the 1980s to describe punk rock-inspired music genres which didn't fit into the mainstream genres of the time. At times it was used as catch-all phrase for rock music from underground artists in the 1980s and rock music in general in the 1990s and 2000s. More specifically, it is made up mostly of genres that appeared in the 1980s and became popular or well known by the 1990s, such as indie rock, grunge, post-punk, gothic rock, and college rock. Most alternative bands were unified by their collective debt to punk, which laid the groundwork for underground and alternative music in the 1970s. Though the genre is considered to be rock, some of its genres were influenced by folk music, reggae, techno and jazz music among other genres.

Influences

* Punk rock
* Post punk
* New wave music
* Industrial music
* Hardcore punk
* Heavy metal

[edit]

Styles

* Alternative metal
* Baggy
* Britpop
* C86
* Christian alternative rock
* College rock
* Dream pop
* Geek rock
* Gothabilly
* Gothic rock
* Grebo
* Grunge
* Indie pop
* Indie rock
* Indietronic
* Industrial rock
* Jam band
* Jangle pop
* Lo-fi
* Madchester
* Math rock
* Noise pop
* Noise rock
* Paisley Underground
* Post-rock
* Post-punk revival
* Psychobilly
* Sadcore
* Shoegazing
* Space rock
* Twee pop
-wikipedia

alternative rock = copout. Aside from that, I do see metal listed. So which one of those genres that makes UP alternative rock would you say? lol

Oh and which categories have tool been given grammy's for that they so happily accepted?

KILL_CLOWNS
02-18-2006, 10:51 PM
One more thing, there is NOTHING wrong with pop music. Just because you automatically assume if it's catchy it sucks doesn't mean it does. It just makes you an ass for acting as though others are fools for liking it. Hate all the music you want, whatever you have to do. Just don't try telling me what's good and isn't. Because with your apparent narrow view on music, I'm not sure how you'd know.

If its catchy it is usually played a lot, often overplayed. Then it becomes old and annoys the shit out of people. I don't hate all pop music, just most of it. CWAO by dredg was quite poppy but I still liked it quite a bit (not as much as their other stuff, but still).....idk, I was just trying to give an example I guess.

cr0nick
02-18-2006, 11:00 PM
genres are pointless. everytime a new band pops up a new genre seems to be created in order to classify them

KJM
02-18-2006, 11:18 PM
metal is a pretty basic genre. I'm not trying to be an ass--I could see someone thinking I was--about this, but it's pretty clear tool has a bit of metal in them.

Systolic
02-18-2006, 11:20 PM
Just don't expect a Lateralus pt. 2, much like people were expecting Lateralus to be an Aenima pt. 2, this won't be, it's the next stage and an entirely new phase, it'll be much different, the same leap Aenima was to Lateralus, if you're expecting Lateralus pt. 2 you'll be dissapointed.

I dont know.. I seem to recall *someone* who knows whats going on saying something about the "sequel to Lateralus"...

insaner
02-19-2006, 12:03 AM
"uncompressed" "muddy"

yall throw these words around like you have any fucking clue what the ideals of Ænima or Lateralus were, or like you have any idea whatsoever what was going on behind these albums.

you all are fucking retarded. and i hate to dis retards that badly.

those two albums are the best "produced" albums since Revolver, and are totally beyond your comprehension. put the shrooms down and do a little TM and maybe read a century or two and then we can talk.

well, maybe dont put the shrooms down...

insaner
02-19-2006, 12:06 AM
[QUOTE=KJM]The terms alternative rock and alternative music[1] were coined in the 1980s to describe punk rock-inspired music genres which didn't fit into the mainstream genres of the time. At times it was used as catch-all phrase for rock music from underground artists in the 1980s and rock music in general in the 1990s and 2000s. More specifically, it is made up mostly of genres that appeared in the 1980s and became popular or well known by the 1990s, such as indie rock, grunge, post-punk, gothic rock, and college rock. Most alternative bands were unified by their collective debt to punk, which laid the groundwork for underground and alternative music in the 1970s. Though the genre is considered to be rock, some of its genres were influenced by folk music, reggae, techno and jazz music among other genres.

Influences

* Punk rock
* Post punk
* New wave music

*pop*

* Industrial music

potentially the only genre not considered bullshit by actual musicians.

* Hardcore punk
* Heavy metal

*pop*

[edit]

Styles

* Alternative metal
* Baggy
* Britpop
* C86
* Christian alternative rock
* College rock
* Dream pop
* Geek rock

*pop*

* Gothabilly
* Gothic rock

*college crap*

* Grebo
* Grunge
* Indie pop
* Indie rock
* Indietronic
* Industrial rock
* Jam band
* Jangle pop
* Lo-fi
* Madchester
* Math rock
* Noise pop
* Noise rock
* Paisley Underground
* Post-rock
* Post-punk revival

*pop*

* Psychobilly

*der*

* Sadcore
* Shoegazing
* Space rock
* Twee pop

*HUH?*

-wikipedia

*sometimes drops the ball.*

KJM
02-19-2006, 12:21 AM
First of all, your pushing shrooms and talking about how others don't know what they're talking about... I'm sure you're quite level headed and are totally clear in thought after your apparent abuse of drugs.

Second, you don't know fact from opinion. You actually used retarded as if it proved some kind of point against everyone else. When the only thing it did was show your total lack of ability to process, think and communicate.

No one has to know anything about what the "ideals" (hahaha) of an album are. As if ideals are usually met. I know when something is muddy, I know when something is harsh. I don't care if the band themselves disagree with me. That is what it is. If that's what they wanted, more power to them. I already said I think the muddyness sounds good (third time in this thread?)

You act like they aren't definable words, and that they can be altered by anyone who disagrees with them.

As for your post on wikipedia, I'm not sure I get your point? If you're saying there's a whole bunch of stuff listed..well yea good call. Alternative is a catch-all genre. If you're saying you don't know those genres, what's that got to do with it?

Pyschobilly is quite good. Of course you have to probably like rockabilly first.

If it helps, think first..then type.

insaner
02-19-2006, 12:30 AM
my fear is a bunch of retarded 12 year olds will hear the album and be turned on to something great, revealing a sound that peaks their savant ealrobes and inspires them to follow tool so i can hear their moaning about rumours of a new album in 4 years.

InertUniformity
02-19-2006, 12:59 AM
you pussies arguing over genres - get over yourselves and realize that your opinions are all trash - just like your lives...

emo pussies

KILL_CLOWNS
02-19-2006, 01:01 AM
my fear is a bunch of retarded 12 year olds will hear the album and be turned on to something great, revealing a sound that peaks their savant ealrobes and inspires them to follow tool so i can hear their moaning about rumours of a new album in 4 years.

Thats exactly what happend to me in 6th grade.

orange.juice
02-19-2006, 06:32 AM
This thread fucking sucks.

TenSpeed
02-19-2006, 09:46 AM
the only people who don't like lateralus, are ***s who think that tool is metal. fas who like korn, disturbed, staind, slipknot, hatebreed, coheed and cambria( and think these bands are metal too)....and so on. It will be better than lateralus, because thats how it goes. everything new is better than the last. if it isn't, it'll be the last album. ( and since when wasn't lateralus hard? It has more complex time signatures, and more double kick than aenima and undertow. have you ever listened to The grudge, ticks and leeches, triad?)
First off, Disturbed, Korn, Staind, Slipknot, and Hatebreed are metal.
Just because something is metal doesn't make it good (though I do like Disturbed and Staind).

Second, since when did anyone ever call Coheed and Cambria metal?
Ever?
I happen to like them a lot (Ten Speed is a song by them), and though I do see some Floyd and Zeppelin influences, they're pretty much doing their own thing.
Calling Coheed and Cambria metal is like calling Tool whatever genre you place Meshuggah in.

On another note, though I disagree with KJM's opinion of Lateralus, I'll be the last person to attack it.
I agree with a lot of the points he's been making, with the exceptions of the Lateralus ones, and find it hard to believe that there's this much argument about one person's dislike of 79 minutes of music.

KILL_CLOWNS
02-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Just because something is metal doesn't make it good (though I do like Disturbed and Staind).

A lot of that thinking just comes with the age of "14".

TenSpeed
02-19-2006, 10:08 AM
A lot of that thinking just comes with the age of "14".
And being 5 years older makes you so much more elite doesn't it?
Those 5 years must render you ruler of all music genre categorization.

Seriously, genres mean nothing.

KILL_CLOWNS
02-19-2006, 10:10 AM
And being 5 years older makes you so much more elite doesn't it?
Those 5 years must render you ruler of all music genre categorization.

Seriously, genres mean nothing.

No, I'm just saying that I happen to disagree with you that "KoRn" and the like is metal. And that I used to think the same.

hanger25934
02-19-2006, 10:14 AM
yes. i remember 4 years ago thinkin disturbed and staind were talented. staind maybe is a little but diturbed is just..... well . listen to their new single to see my point.

TenSpeed
02-19-2006, 10:15 AM
yes. i remember 4 years ago thinkin disturbed and staind were talented. staind maybe is a little but diturbed is just..... well . listen to their new single to see my point.
I never said they were talented, I understand they're not. That doesn't stop me from liking them, however.

orange.juice
02-19-2006, 10:17 AM
[ignore]this thread

hanger25934
02-19-2006, 10:17 AM
i know. i'm just recalling on past stupidity. maybe showing a little bit of present. lol oh yeah and FEAR THE NEW ALBUM

KILL_CLOWNS
02-19-2006, 10:31 AM
......I fear that tool will realize that if they were to sell this album with like 3-5 different artwork that many of us would buy each version.

5th Eye
02-19-2006, 11:07 AM
What would be even worse is if they did the packaging like "In through the Out Door", i.e. we wouldn't know which of the artwork styles we'd be getting until we bought it and opened it, and anyone who wanted to collect them all would have to buy a million copies until they did.

Or even worse, if the types were distributed so that you'd have to go across the country to get them all. How evil.

I hope they don't read this and do it.

KILL_CLOWNS
02-19-2006, 11:14 AM
I hope they don't read this and do it.

LOL, and they bury the next one somewhere. So when you open the album you buy there are clues within the booklet.

TenSpeed
02-19-2006, 12:08 PM
LOL, and they bury the next one somewhere. So when you open the album you buy there are clues within the booklet.
dredg did that type of thing with Catch Without Arms, didn't they?

KILL_CLOWNS
02-19-2006, 12:24 PM
dredg did that type of thing with Catch Without Arms, didn't they?

Kind of. They had a treasure hunt, the prize was paintings for the three who found it. And they are writing a song for/about/named by them. It was pretty cool (I'm a big dredg fan).

UnasTheSlayer
02-19-2006, 12:42 PM
metal is a pretty basic genre. I'm not trying to be an ass--I could see someone thinking I was--about this, but it's pretty clear tool has a bit of metal in them.

Yes, they have metal characteristics, but enough other characteristics to counter that and make them something more. And I wouldn't call metal a "basic" genre, I would consider it more straightforward.

Ktuluvic
02-19-2006, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see some randomly generated packaging based on some of Josh Davis' work. In a web seminar he did, he mentioned something about the possibility of randomly generetaed tshirt art, not much of a leap to do album work. The only problem I would see is some production hurdles and making production of the album very slow. They might just do it per print run or something like that.

Edit: Trying to classifly and put specific genre labels on bands is dumb. There's really only 2 classifications of music, the stuff you like and that stuff you don't.

Nebel
02-19-2006, 12:47 PM
I dont know.. I seem to recall *someone* who knows whats going on saying something about the "sequel to Lateralus"...

He didn't mean it in that sense, if it was a sequel to Lateralus it would be a double album, but it's not, Lateralus has it's own theme and so will this new album. But we can only see...

KILL_CLOWNS
02-19-2006, 12:49 PM
I can't see the Josh Davis thing happening, its too "graphic design" art and less Fine Art which is more of what I expect from a Tool album.

Ktuluvic
02-19-2006, 12:53 PM
I can't see the Josh Davis thing happening, its too "graphic design" art and less Fine Art which is more of what I expect from a Tool album.

Well, all indications seem to point to a more organic feel and theme to this album. Which Josh Davis' art very much fits into. I could be wrong, but that's just what it seems has been coming from the tool camp. I was more refering to them using his programming to generate random art. The cool thing about Josh Davis' process is that you can feed it any artwork you want. They could develop art work with other artists and feed it into the program. It wouldn't have to be Josh's art work specifically.

KILL_CLOWNS
02-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Well, all indications seem to point to a more organic feel and theme to this album. Which Josh Davis' art very much fits into. I could be wrong, but that's just what it seems has been coming from the tool camp. I was more refering to them using his programming to generate random art. The cool thing about Josh Davis' process is that you can feed it any artwork you want. They could develop art work with other artists and feed it into the program. It wouldn't have to be Josh's art work specifically.

That makes more sense, I could see something like an artistic flow/organization of bacteria or something like that. Sort of like the toolband intro page, those little hair/tenticle things are generated randomly. Something like that would be pretty cool on the album.

orange.juice
02-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Reading a sentence which includes both "Josh Davis" and "art" makes my eys hurt.

Ktuluvic
02-19-2006, 04:02 PM
odd coincidence, reading your posts makes my brain hurt.

orange.juice
02-19-2006, 04:09 PM
it works? thatīs good.

zenkinet
02-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Reading a sentence which includes both "Josh Davis" and "art" makes my eys hurt.
agreed

TurdEye13
02-19-2006, 04:45 PM
A fear I have is that the title track might not live up to the others. I have always loved Tool's title tracks, and hopefully I will again for this new one.

Opiate-Great!
Undertow-Incredible!
Aenema-Unreal!
Lateralus-Mindblowing!

Ktuluvic
02-19-2006, 04:48 PM
New Album title-shit, I'm out of adjectives!

KJM
02-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Yes, they have metal characteristics, but enough other characteristics to counter that and make them something more. And I wouldn't call metal a "basic" genre, I would consider it more straightforward.

Like what? Usually charecteristics of music work together in placing music into a genre. Not counter-act.

By metal being a basic genre I'm saying it's like a primary color.

Blues
Jazz
Rock
Funk
Metal
etc...

No shoegazing or pyschobilly.

mattw
02-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Undertow-Incredible!

Yeah Opiate, Aenema and Lateralus are great title tracks, but I don't know about Undertow... It's good and all but I like other songs on that album much more such as Sober and Flood. Prison Sex would have been an 'interesting' title for the album? "Hey Mum, look what album I bought today: Prison Sex by Tool."

Anyway, I hope that the new album has an awesome title track. I hope it is the 10min piece Blair mentioned once and not the 17min epic song. Keep it like the past: Aenema was the title track but Third Eye was the longest, Lateralus was the title track but Reflection was longer etc. Whatever happens I'm sure the band will choose a solid title track...

Fulcanelli
02-19-2006, 07:47 PM
agreed

http://www.joshdavis.com

Look though that site and I believe that the thought of Josh Davis creating art for Tool would make anyone shudder.

Fulcanelli
02-19-2006, 07:49 PM
A fear I have is that the title track might not live up to the others. I have always loved Tool's title tracks, and hopefully I will again for this new one.

Opiate-Great!
Undertow-Incredible!
Aenema-Unreal!
Lateralus-Mindblowing!

It's Aenima... Aenema is the name of the song.

orange.juice
02-19-2006, 08:09 PM

Look though that site and I believe that the thought of Josh Davis creating art for Tool would make anyone shudder.
Oh burn! I was like sitting there for twenty seconds, staring at this, thinking very slowly: "That canīt be true...."

hanger25934
02-19-2006, 08:14 PM
i dont give 2 shits who does the artwork. give me music please.

zenkinet
02-19-2006, 08:44 PM

I don't think he is an artist myself, I see him more as a web-code junkie, and maybe a webdesigner, but artist is pushing it.

KJM
02-19-2006, 10:14 PM
do you guys mean joshuadavis.com? or I'm lost in something I don't understand.

orange.juice
02-19-2006, 10:20 PM
do you guys mean joshuadavis.com? or I'm lost in something I don't understand.
See?

insaner
02-20-2006, 04:26 PM

Second, since when did anyone ever call Coheed and Cambria metal?
Ever?
I happen to like them a lot (Ten Speed is a song by them), and though I do see some Floyd and Zeppelin influences, they're pretty much doing their own thing.
Calling Coheed and Cambria metal is like calling Tool whatever genre you place Meshuggah in.

On another note, though I disagree with KJM's opinion of Lateralus, I'll be the last person to attack it.
I agree with a lot of the points he's been making, with the exceptions of the Lateralus ones, and find it hard to believe that there's this much argument about one person's dislike of 79 minutes of music.

staind is about as metal as the carpenters.

TenSpeed
02-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Well, I guess they can be thrown into the whole Seether/Nickelback/Creed sound.

Ktuluvic
02-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Well, I guess they can be thrown into the whole Seether/Nickelback/Creed sound.

Some of us refer to that as shit sound, and for good reason.

TenSpeed
02-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Some of us refer to that as shit sound, and for good reason.
Eh, I like Staind and Seether.
Not for originality for sure but whatever.

mike09
02-20-2006, 04:57 PM

What are Staind?

orange.juice
02-20-2006, 05:38 PM
also furniture.