is that about praying?

"Do unto others what has been done to you"
And christianity: "Do unto other as you would have them do unto you"

[/Quick Thought]

thats a pretty good way of looking at it :o

Dedicated_TOOLfan
02-17-2006, 06:30 PM
thats a pretty good way of looking at it :o

I seriously never have thought of it like that!

Naga Royal Guard
02-19-2006, 11:53 AM
intersting connection

moneyisevil
02-19-2006, 05:14 PM
good connection, although when i hear this "got your hands bound.." i just think of someone completely helpless to abuse, or someone totally controlling another human

The Scottish Tool
03-15-2006, 11:11 AM
I originally thought this song was about someone getting bummend in a shower of a prison or something. King Nothing, that is an interesting theory.

Mya
03-15-2006, 03:45 PM
good connection, although when i hear this "got your hands bound.." i just think of someone completely helpless to abuse, or someone totally controlling another human

maybe you can look at the whole "hands bound" notion as being forced into the prayer position.....just a thought....

i definitely agree with the idea of someone being helpless to abuse tho...

King Nothing
03-30-2006, 06:02 PM
maybe you can look at the whole "hands bound" notion as being forced into the prayer position.....just a thought....
hmm... cool...

thoughts i had while i was gone...

but I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive
even if signs seem to tell me otherwise.
jesus on the cross?

There's release in this sodomy.
the antichrist is homosexual

For I am your witness that
blood and flesh can be trusted.
on the 60th day (of something)the antichrist turns on... someone...

Show me something
Thought I could make it end
Thought I could wash the stains away---wash your sins away?
Thought I could break the circle if I
Slipped right into your skin
So sweet was your surrender
We have become one
I have become my terror
And you my precious lamb and martyr.

tool25
04-03-2006, 04:43 PM
its about someone being forced to convert to a different religion against their will

NotMe
04-08-2006, 09:42 PM
So what about the part where he says "shit, blood and cum on my hand"? Is that religious?

Maybe it refers to praying while being abused.
There is the line that says "only this one holy medium brings me piece of mind"

HisUberness
04-21-2006, 09:58 PM
rape

praga
05-02-2006, 06:47 PM
Shit, Blood and Cum - these things are what we all have in common that we require to keep living. Some religions (basic and very tribal...some times canibalistic) look at those three elements as the power of life.

I agree on the religious aspect of the song. Used to have a big longwinded writeup about it here. Religous raping of sorts.

imatoolhed
05-02-2006, 07:00 PM
All time favorite .... got this from the tool FAQ.

F10. What's "Prison Sex" about?
At least in its most up-front interpretation, child abuse. In early interviews, Maynard apparently was quite vocal about his dislike for his stepfather, and the video supports this theory quite well. However, the autobiographical nature of this song is purely speculative. When discussing the release of "Prison Sex" as a single, Danny had this to say: "It will annoy a lot of people ... which is half the fun."

HAPPY TOOL DAY :)

rachmiel4
05-02-2006, 08:31 PM
The radical religious, or any strict, fearful upbringing, is arguably a form of child abuse. It's inherited from generation to generation. Plus, religious fundamentalism is responsible for oceans of "blood" and swamps of ... well, the rape and pillage and destruction of a lot of people's lives. Thank you OP for this interpretation, gives me a whole new angle to understand the song with.

ween69
05-03-2006, 08:10 AM
i think it's about something really nasty

seneca77
05-06-2006, 10:16 PM
i agree, this is an intersting thought. i always took this song at face value.

about abuse

tbrent21
05-09-2006, 03:53 AM
This is one of Tool's greatest songs. I agree that it makes the most sense just at face value. Someone who was abused as a child has grown up to become an abuser himself, finding its the only way to bring himself piece of mind, is to "do unto others."

By the way I love the fact that we are discussing Undertow songs here at the present moment. Personally, I don't feel qualified to comment on 10,000 Days songs for at least another decade until they sink in. Out of respect for Tool, I can't see myself posting on anything past Anima right now. Maybe in a few years I'll feel capable of commenting on Lateralus....

APOCALYPSEENSABAHNUR
05-09-2006, 08:32 PM
God.........It's about getting fucked in the ass in prison you stupid retards.

Maynard might have well have said....have: "I'm such a gay wad/ what's entered into me? (refrain)"

He's busy you know....writing songs about monkeys and such.

Me personally, I've been fucked in prison many times. In the shower, by my cell mate (who's smaller than me....don't know how that happened....i'm a pussy)
UNDER my bed, on my bed, when I was being released: while I was walking out the gates some guy snuck up behind me and "WHAM WHAM WHAM" it was the quickest one i've had.

Don't EVER commit a crime.

EVER:

http://www.hrw.org/reports/2001/prison/report.html

I've been sentenced for a D.U.I. offense. My 3rd one. When I first came to prison, I had no idea what to expect. Certainly none of this. I'm a tall white male, who unfortunately has a small amount of feminine characteristics. And very shy. These characteristics have got me raped so many times I have no more feelings physically. I have been raped by up to 5 black men and two white men at a time. I've had knifes at my head and throat. I had fought and been beat so hard that I didn't ever think I'd see straight again. One time when I refused to enter a cell, I was brutally attacked by staff and taken to segragation though I had only wanted to prevent the same and worse by not locking up with my cell mate. There is no supervision after lockdown. I was given a conduct report. I explained to the hearing officer what the issue was. He told me that off the record, He suggests I find a man I would/could willingly have sex with to prevent these things from happening. I've requested protective custody only to be denied. It is not available here. He also said there was no where to run to, and it would be best for me to accept things . . . . I probably have AIDS now. I have great difficulty raising food to my mouth from shaking after nightmares or thinking to hard on all this . . . . I've laid down without physical fight to be sodomized. To prevent so much damage in struggles, ripping and tearing. Though in not fighting, it caused my heart and spirit to be raped as well. Something I don't know if I'll ever forgive myself for. (1)

APOCALYPSEENSABAHNUR
05-09-2006, 08:48 PM
"I have great difficulty raising food to my mouth from shaking after nightmares or thinking to hard on all this . . . . I've laid down without physical fight to be sodomized. To prevent so much damage in struggles, ripping and tearing."

APOCALYPSEENSABAHNUR
05-09-2006, 10:28 PM
"felt like having a tree limb shoved up into me"

APOCALYPSEENSABAHNUR
05-09-2006, 10:34 PM
http://www.spr.org/pdf/ifheisraped.pdf

"Life threatening or life altering"

"life altering"

APOCALYPSEENSABAHNUR
05-10-2006, 10:16 AM
Perhaps, like the report pdf said, the point of the video/song is to show that through these hellish and awful experiences, things thought different can be revealed to be similar or the same by sharing. It must not be done. When it is, however, it acts as the great equalizer.

"To date, few studies have paid attention to males who are raped. Even so, we know that important similarities and differences exist between female and male rape victims. For both males and females the experience of being sexually victimized is traumatic"

Through this pain we can see we are alike.

APOCALYPSEENSABAHNUR
05-11-2006, 03:08 PM
It is to show that through these bad situations the abusee can become a "better" person, rather than another antagonist. It is to show you the bad things so you can grow. Like Maynard has said at some of his concerts "take this and use it to make something positive."

Verboten
05-12-2006, 10:49 PM
lol

APOCALYPSEENSABAHNUR
05-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Male on male prisoner abuse is not funny.

Verboten
05-14-2006, 08:38 PM
Don't do the crime if you can't pay the time.

Seriously, that dude could have killed someone with his reckless behavior and it was his third fucking DUI.

Melanos
05-22-2006, 12:59 PM
"Got my hands bound and my head down and my eyes closed, are forced wide open"

It is "praying" in a way and then he sees "God" and is enlightened/free from the prison of his "waking life"

imho

And to the people that wanna point out the FAQ.... please also read the section where they said they wont spoonfeed you anything. Besides if they gave you the "right" answer to any song lyrics and what thier about, then that in itself (to me) is anti-tool because they are encouraging free thought. They arent goin to tell you "This is what this song means and your way of thinking about the song is wrong".

Jon08
06-03-2006, 04:15 PM

i definitely agree with the idea of someone being helpless to abuse tho...

i think he means more folding your hands while praying.

JOK3R
06-19-2006, 09:06 PM
good thread. i have a new angle to look at the song through now.

BigSteak
06-24-2006, 08:53 PM
smooth thinking dude. i always thought it was about tying someone up and raping them. the you look so precious line i viewed as sarcasm. your idea sounds better though heh

King Nothing
06-25-2006, 02:20 PM
also...

This crazy religious dude on tv was saying
"THERES RELEASE SOMEWHERE IN THIS ROOM!
THERES RELEASE IN THIS ROOM!
THERES RELEASE SOMEWHERE IN THIS ROOM!
THERES RELEASE IN THIS ROOM!"

anyone know what the religious "release" means?

thomasknight
07-08-2006, 12:04 PM
it means someone let one rip

Theheroeshavedied
07-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Hail!
all the many different interpretations of this song can be generalized under the concept of a rape, abuse, forcing, by anyone or anything desperately needing the blood of the innocent to satisfy it's inner turbulence. all the examples the free and critical thinkers have posted such as child abuse, rape, religious brainwashing and passion of Christ are examples of an abuse of anykind unto any victim. The song can mean a variety of different episodes. it all dipends on who you are and how you interpret them. for me, the music and lyrics point to child abuse ( I HAVE FOUND SOME KIND OF TEMPORARY SANITY IN THIS SHIT BLOOD AND CUM ON MY HANDS), but it is not to exclude that an oppressive religion or society is metaphorically a form of child abuse onto the free willed!

Theheroeshavedied
07-11-2006, 11:42 AM
truly excuse if this has little to do with the post, but i feel like mentioning it!:-)
listening to this song over and over again makes me appreciate how powerfully the impact of the abuse is narrated:
It took so long to remember just what happened.
I was so young and vestal then,
you know it hurt me,
but I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive
even if signs seem to tell me otherwise.
Beautiful!!! So deep and moving, as most of Tool's songs. and their instrumentals are the proof that not all music needs lyrics to complete it. music is a complete language in itself!:-)

livingxdeadxrainy
09-20-2006, 12:46 PM
God.........It's about getting fucked in the ass in prison you stupid retards.

*buzzer sound* Wrong answer.

futant55
09-28-2006, 05:55 AM
I was really liking what this thread was talking about, and then I was traumatized in the middle for a litle bit and now back to the good stuff.

TomAce
10-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Isn't this song just an allegory for empowerment?

1st verse narrator is being forced to endure something they don't want - literally rape, figuratively maybe Christianity. i.e. they are spoonfed religion at a very young age, and they have no way to avoid it, they are just 'forced' to be Christian.

2nd verse the narrator is living/surviving the horrible ordeal they went through (treading water, need to sleep).

3rd verse the narrator forces their own child to accept their will being imposed - literally rape, figuratively maybe being force fed Christianity. The narrator went through this ordeal, it's all they know from experience, so they recycle the feelings/emotions and force them on their own kid.

Ending - "I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this shit, blood, and cum on my hands." The narrator feels better, because s/he got to dominate their child. Just like they were dominated when they were young.

Basically a person is forced into a religion as soon as they are born, they never have a chance to develop their own thoughts. Then when they are adults, because the only thoughts on religion that they have were forced upon them by their parents/teachers/etc... they just recycle what they know onto the next generation. Perpetuating the cycle, and creating a group people that only know what they are bashed over the head with.

In other words Christianity Sucks.

That's what I hear/see in this song. Flame away.

Phorty
10-03-2006, 09:48 AM
"felt like having a tree limb shoved up into me"

man oh man the things that get discussed on tool message boards.

8moremucscles
10-06-2006, 11:29 AM
I just want to put this out there to everyone. If you want a good description of this song from the band themselves...go to articles and read this article:

Publication: Axcess
Date: Sometime, 1994

Click on the 1995 link and look for it there. It is an interesting article where they talk about the Prison Sex, and a little about the Sober videos.

itsok
10-09-2006, 08:09 AM
someone up ther said something about sodomy, and the antichrist being homosexual. .. but in my opinion, sodomy doesnt always have to come back to anything sexual.
but what the hell do i know

boscobytes
10-14-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm all for the deeper meaning of things and unless I have completely missed the point....this song screams child molestation! And the video as well. As a mother I find it excrutiating to watch.
Getting it up the ass in prison? Listen to the lyrics Mr. 3..count 'em 3..DUI's Put the CD on in your car while you're driving drunk and listen.
Most, if not all, child molesters were molested as children. All molesters will reoffend. It is a part of them. "i have found some kind of temporary sanity in this...."
It is a disease probably caused by the trauma of their own abuse. I don't find this song offensive in the way some might but rather an eye opener. Thousands of kids are abused everyday. To other mothers who live to protect their children.....I say watch your children closely and cut the balls off anyone who lays a finger on them!
As far as the religious interpretations....Catholic priests have a history of molestation. Hold your babies tight!!! PEACE

8moremucscles
10-16-2006, 07:30 AM
Wow...that was a very heartfelt post. The song is clearly about child molestation. The article I put in my last post says specifically child abuse.

boscobytes
10-16-2006, 07:20 PM
I couldn't find the article you talked about. I will keep looking though as I'd like to read it.

I've been listening to their music for years. They have thrown the statement out there that things are not always as they seem. I think that is true for some of the songs, but not all. People are taking that too literally.

I think for this song it's the title that has a deeper meaning, and the lyrics are exactly as they seem.

I respect the idea that MJK wants people to think for themselves. Although I'm disturbed by some of the posts I've read! Perhaps he should tell his meanings so some of them can catch up! That's why religion works so well for some, they can't handle their own thoughts.

Ah....religion.... Some jackass reads you the material and also interprets it for you. I, myself, am a recovering Catholic. And I live to tell the tale! I figure if I'm doomed to an eternity in Hell.... atleast there will be rock and roll there!

8moremucscles
10-17-2006, 09:06 AM
I refuse to have anything to do with organized religion, because...I do not like people telline me what or how I should believe. I would rather just believe what I think is right and leave it at that.

boscobytes
10-19-2006, 11:28 PM
It could be praying....

Maybe it's in reference to the molestation of alter boys in the Catholic church.

8moremucscles
10-20-2006, 06:25 AM
True...maybe something like that happened to Maynard when he was younger, and this song is taking about both abuse and religion together

Maryjane82
10-20-2006, 07:36 AM
was listening to some prison o sex tonight, never really thought about it in reference to praying... always makes me think about that fucked up theory that often the abused will go on to become the abuser, coming full circle?

one_reflection
10-21-2006, 05:13 AM
I refuse to have anything to do with organized religion, because...I do not like people telline me what or how I should believe. I would rather just believe what I think is right and leave it at that.

I like how you put that. So simple, but totally agreed.

Anyway. I think i have forgotten what i came here to say due to that disturbing stuff by mr. multi-poster. It was probably something like "interesting idea"..it certainly inspires thought.

Whilst i havent taken the time to really think about the deeper meaning here, i wanted to point out that so much by Tool is completely metaphorical. This may well be one of those instances. It may also be intended to be taken at face value.. I recall reading someones comments about Rosetta Stoned and how Maynards scream was related to the pain of anal probing. That part of me is about his genitalia, that 'Maynards dick' is about his genetalia... That stinkfist really is about fisting. Whilst it certainly may be possible (im in no position to make that judgement) i just think some people are so quick to come to these conclusions and imply they have some sadistic thoughts going on in there =p (im not referring to anything in this thread btw.. just a thought i needed to write/say).

Edit: I remembered... when reading how people are abused they often end up being abusers themselves, i thought of "I have found some kind of temporary sanity..." - is it stockholm syndrome when the victim feels a sense of comfort and reliance toward the captor/abusor/etc..?

livingxdeadxrainy
11-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Edit: I remembered... when reading how people are abused they often end up being abusers themselves, i thought of "I have found some kind of temporary sanity..." - is it stockholm syndrome when the victim feels a sense of comfort and reliance toward the captor/abusor/etc..?

Well, someone with Stockholm Syndrome often shows loyalty even though there's danger in the situation. At the same time, correct me if I'm wrong, isn't Stockholm Syndrome more of a hostage/hostage-taker situation?

opiated
11-17-2006, 04:08 PM
someone up ther said something about sodomy, and the antichrist being homosexual. .. but in my opinion, sodomy doesnt always have to come back to anything sexual.
but what the hell do i know

The definition of "sodomy" is as follows.

sod·om·y [sódəmee]
n
1. an offensive term for anal intercourse
2. an offensive term for sexual intercourse with an animal

[13th century. Directly or via French sodomie from medieval Latin sodomia , which was formed from ecclesiastical Latin peccatum Sodomiticum “sin of Sodom.”]

Sodomy doesn't have to be performed between gay people. In Layman's Terms, if you got an ass (which, yes, both genders do), it can be fucked. No joke to that.

And, yes, it does include bestiality, like the definition states.

So, really, there's no allusion to gender or sexual orientation in the song. Just wanted to point that out. (However, the term sodomy itself is, in a way, something of a Biblical allusion. Read up on what Sodom was.)

weathermantom
11-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Show me something
Thought I could make it end
Thought I could wash the stains away---wash your sins away?
Thought I could break the circle if I
Slipped right into your skin
So sweet was your surrender
We have become one
I have become my terror
And you my precious lamb and martyr.

I LOVE this part of the song. I pretty sure it is "wash the stains away."
I wish they had put done it on the studio version, because this is, imo, the most important part of the song, especially the last 3 lines; I just find them so haunting.

Cooly
12-26-2006, 02:26 PM
I just want to put this out there to everyone. If you want a good description of this song from the band themselves...go to articles and read this article:

Click on the 1995 link and look for it there. It is an interesting article where they talk about the Prison Sex, and a little about the Sober videos.

Keep in mind that
A: Adam is not the whole band
B: The videos often have a different message than the song
C: Everything tool says should be taken with a grain of salt.

With that said it does offer some enlightenment into the song.
I feel that the song is really about being forced to do something. The medium of said that the lyrics take on is mainly child abuse but it can also be about. But it could be religion or something else.

Also people who are saying it's about being forced to be christian, that's pretty fucking ignorant. Christianity is not the first or most common religion where the followers teach their children to follow it from a young age. Just about every god domn religion that ever exsisted has done that, save a few. Christianity is not the only evil in the world nor the most prominent.

Intolerable
12-31-2006, 02:11 PM
"Got your hands bound
your head down,
your eyes closed."

is that about praying?

"Do unto others what has been done to you"
And christianity: "Do unto other as you would have them do unto you"

[/Quick Thought]

(I didn't read through the other responses, so apologies if this is redundant.)

What's described in those lines isn't praying at all. He's basically describing going into the fetal position - he knows the abuse is coming, so he's preparing for it.

Sagt die Zauberwörter
01-07-2007, 01:54 PM
i agree with both "TomAce" and "Intolerable"..

hurmie
01-18-2007, 02:54 PM

Good article, thanx...but that same article also says:
"Lachrymology (which literally means "the study of crying") is the cornerstone of the band's outlook on life, they prefer to see people doing it for
themselves."

. . . . and we all know now that that's bullshit...

Adbox
01-18-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm all for the deeper meaning of things and unless I have completely missed the point....this song screams child molestation! And the video as well. As a mother I find it excrutiating to watch.
Getting it up the ass in prison? Listen to the lyrics Mr. 3..count 'em 3..DUI's Put the CD on in your car while you're driving drunk and listen.
Most, if not all, child molesters were molested as children. All molesters will reoffend. It is a part of them. "i have found some kind of temporary sanity in this...."
It is a disease probably caused by the trauma of their own abuse. I don't find this song offensive in the way some might but rather an eye opener. Thousands of kids are abused everyday. To other mothers who live to protect their children.....I say watch your children closely and cut the balls off anyone who lays a finger on them!
As far as the religious interpretations....Catholic priests have a history of molestation. Hold your babies tight!!! PEACE

i read online that there is a form of satanitc ritual abuse where the child is ritualisticly sodomised with some objected to in the worst way open his third eye. like the cheating way.

Polish_Rides_The_Spiral
01-22-2007, 06:35 PM
pointing out the very obvious, i thought it was like oral sex, ya know? after all the title is prison sex