PDA

View Full Version : Synesthesia Corporation

Christoff
02-09-2006, 06:08 AM
http://synesthesiacorp.com/

Just a nod to those interested in the drums that Vince has developed for Danny.

kyyuulle
02-09-2006, 07:39 AM
thank you for this

paraflux
02-09-2006, 09:18 AM
This has been posted before somewhere, but for those of you who havent seen it, take a look.

orange.juice
02-09-2006, 09:41 AM
That drummerworld video of Carey is neato!

That "Mandala" presentation sucks though.

Christoff
02-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Certainly there has been talk about this drum, but I haven't come across anyone posting the link since the site was updated. I think the sample playing on the website gives us a taste of what Danny might be up to on the new album - as the site states, the sample is of only one instrument playing.

Just think what Danny could do with this!

Spoon
02-09-2006, 09:54 AM
You don't have to think, you can listen:

-stinkfist intro
-Reflection
-Hooker With a Penis
-etc.etc....

Staticfactory
02-09-2006, 10:12 AM
Very cool indeed - and yes, he's been using electronic pads for quite some time. These ones look very very nice indeed ($999 for 1 pad and the brain, egads!) I have a Roland TD-6K kit that was $2700 (CDN) for 3 'cymbals', 3 'toms', a mesh snare, double kick and high-hat. The response time is pretty good, but I get quite a bit of false triggering if I play them too hard. Needless to say, the Roland kit came with 99 preset kits and thousands of different samples. The standard technology is pretty amazing (you can choke your crash, for example) so I can only imagine how incredible the SynCo pads are.

MentalSanityOff
02-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Wonder if he'll be replacing his simmons pads with this thing

moneyisevil
02-09-2006, 04:34 PM
i honestly am really really really really excited to hear danny tear the fucken drums up! but then again who isnt!!!

henri_ds
03-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Has anyone more info about this ? I keep sending e-mails for weeks but I never had an answer. Is there a catalog or else ? how can I order them ? thanks.

Khadgar346
03-19-2006, 01:26 PM
I interested in his new drum that he put a preview of on his web site. You know, the purple ones?

gl0tch
03-19-2006, 01:38 PM
that sample sounds alarmingly similar to the first track off of Autechre's "Confield" record.

a788
03-19-2006, 01:50 PM
i'm pretty sure the spinning symbol almost hypnotized me

tentonmantra
03-19-2006, 01:54 PM
use the search function
use the search function.

just kidding.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
03-19-2006, 02:40 PM
i honestly am really really really really excited to hear danny tear the fucken drums up! but then again who isnt!!!

i'm certainly not one of those who isn't =)... add like another ten reallys, and that's about it for me.

Octopod
03-19-2006, 03:45 PM
I'm kinda thinking that these new drum pads may be part of the reason that Tool didn't do a double album this time around. Danny mentioned the desire to do a double disc in one of the interviews on his site, but I think after the development of these pads he may have wanted to test them out for this album and perhaps aproach the prospects of double album with a little more experience with them under his belt.

Pure conjecture, really. But I'm really excited to zero in on the drumming of this new record.

cadav
03-19-2006, 04:34 PM
Hmm, so we are going to see kookie electronic drum effects on this album? Cool.

ArizonaBay
03-19-2006, 05:01 PM
Oooh those drums are kinda spooky sounding, cant wait, hey that must the electronic drumkit that reviewer was talkin about :)

KJM
03-19-2006, 05:03 PM
you have before.

cadav
03-19-2006, 07:10 PM
You mean we've heard this before on lateralus? I haven't analysed that album that much, I guess whatever was used was tasteful and didn't stand out.

TheRuleOfThree
03-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Not so much on Lateralus, besides "Reflection" which has a lot of cool samples thrown in percussively. The tabla at the end of "The Patient" and throughout "Disposition" are played live on samplers.

This, however, is something new, which probably holds a lot of newer advances and options than what we've previously heard. This sounds like it has a level of response and sound output that overshadows previous models.

jackfriday
03-20-2006, 05:03 AM
what a kick ass website. videos of every great drummer soloing (except for matt abst of gov't mule) for free. i'd never seen this site before and i've played drums for 7 years (guitar for 20yrs).thanks for that.

spawk
04-16-2006, 12:29 AM
here's a funny thing ... look at the last demo video of mandala pad, in background you'll see a nice saturn planete schema :), with its revolution line drawn on the ground (other planete may be there too)
a link with 10000Days ?

kimono
08-20-2006, 04:27 PM
The Mandala is way cool. I took delivery of one. I've been speaking to the manufacturer, and he says there's a multiple input brain in the works to allow multiple pads in one brain, which would also reduce the price of single pads. Danny did indeed replace his old Simmons SDK with 7 of these, which must be mayhem for him to keep track of as he'd also have 7 brains. But the guy has 7 brains anyway ..

I also read in Modern Drummer he's essentially using just the MIDI output from all of them and controlling the sounds using Native Instruments Battery software running on a mac. Therein lies the beauty of the Mandalas, the MIDI output.

cyaz

GaminCoda
08-21-2006, 02:06 AM
What are those pads in the Technology>Future section on danneycarey.org?

kimono
08-27-2006, 07:54 PM
What are those pads in the Technology>Future section on danneycarey.org?

They are the Mandala Prototypes. Danny has the Purple ones which have less sides than the production models.

kimono

resonance.
08-27-2006, 08:07 PM
The Mandala is way cool. I took delivery of one. I've been speaking to the manufacturer, and he says there's a multiple input brain in the works to allow multiple pads in one brain, which would also reduce the price of single pads. Danny did indeed replace his old Simmons SDK with 7 of these, which must be mayhem for him to keep track of as he'd also have 7 brains. But the guy has 7 brains anyway ..

I also read in Modern Drummer he's essentially using just the MIDI output from all of them and controlling the sounds using Native Instruments Battery software running on a mac. Therein lies the beauty of the Mandalas, the MIDI output.

cyaz

I've been wondering about that. If the MIDI out was set to trigger your own sounds on say a synthesizer... wouldn't the response lag? Or do you load your own sounds into the brain?

elevate
08-29-2006, 03:12 PM
If the MIDI out was set to trigger your own sounds on say a synthesizer... wouldn't the response lag?
If lag was an issue, nobody would be using samplers. This is generally speaking, though I can't imagine why they would create a MIDI-capable device that introduces a shitload of lag.

Benf
08-31-2006, 06:38 PM
i ordered one. suposedly should be here in 2 weeks...ill let you guys know

kimono
01-27-2007, 07:41 PM
I've been wondering about that. If the MIDI out was set to trigger your own sounds on say a synthesizer... wouldn't the response lag? Or do you load your own sounds into the brain?

There's no ability to load sounds onto the Mandala's own brain, but the MIDI latency is fast enough to trigger outboard samplers. The speed would be as good as the external piece of gear your triggering I suppose. After seeing DC striking two of these during the end breakdown of Rossetta Stoned, I'm hell impressed. Would love to know more about his sampler setup as I dont think he used much of the onboard sounds.

the midas touch
02-01-2007, 06:18 PM
The beginning of Eulogy...the sound is similar to the sound of one of these drums. Am I right?

kimono
02-05-2007, 05:03 AM
The beginning of Eulogy...the sound is similar to the sound of one of these drums. Am I right?

Yes same principal. Triggered sounds from his Simmons SDK pads and brain. The SDK was this old school computer synth that took floppy disks for sounds and had this funky CRT screen. Can't buy em like that any more, DC's a lucky man to have stuck with them until Mandalas came along.

mr. nikki jensen
02-05-2007, 05:39 AM
cool. thanks for sharing