PDA

View Full Version : existential interpretation

slapster555
03-03-2003, 08:26 PM
I think the fact that there are so many interpretations about the song is great, for as it has been previously stated: the songs are important in their connection with whomever is listening to them. Therefore, i am entitled to my interpretation as well. To me the entire song is a drawn out metaphor of existence from the existentialist point of view. Man struggles with the anguish of choices and decision and the result is forlorness and utter solitude. He copes with this pain by interaction with his emotions which he finds can free him and enlighten him.

"What's coming through is alive
what's holding up is a mirror"
-referring to himself and how the decisions he makes reflect upon him.
"but what's singing songs is a snake
looking to turn my piss to wine"
-referring to the subconscious which will always present multiple choices on which it often criticizes. but it will always try to make good out of a perception- as every perception has a valid argument.

"they're both totally void of hate
but killing me just the same"
-the choices he is given are subjective rather than objective and not good nor evil may be attatched to them. therein lies his insanity and with each decision he makes he is only one step closer to death.

"the snake behind me hisses
what my damage could have been"
-reflection upon the downside of every choice he makes.
"my blood before me begs me
open up my heart again"
-his instinct begs him to release himself into the intangible void of emotion, of feeling where he ultimately may find enlightenment.

ehh ect... the fun isn't in analysis it's in creation.

Evan
03-03-2003, 08:51 PM
I had never applied an existential interpretation to this song before, so I thank you for opening this to me. Also, it's good to see that people do still appreciate the existentialist point of view, which I think is very important. however, I don't think it works fully, especially when you get to "I don't mind", and "considerately killing me." Although maybe it's more a Sartrean/Nausea-esque meaning, which would make more sense. laters

BuckleFace
03-14-2003, 07:42 PM
lol.....i think uve done alot of acid. But its cool cause acids great. Keep up your crazy observations.