PDA

View Full Version : What about this?

TOOLEK
02-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Although I have my own opinions on the meanings of Tool's songs which are more or less similar to the ones presented in a pdf book "Toolbook" (have You read the one? if not I can send or find a website for You), however I ahve found a story about Jimmy which is very intersting. To me this story is based on the song, rather than song on this, still I really like it. Here is the link:
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~gavlees/jimmy.txt

Have a nice time reading it...... As for now I'm gone....

moneyisevil
02-09-2006, 04:42 PM
two songs i cant figure out for the life of me...jimmy and eulogy...although eulogy is about bill bhicks (why is mjk so bitter?) and jimmy is about working through cycles of abuse

Sadhana
03-06-2006, 07:32 PM
of course this isnt the meaning of the song, however i think its cool enough to point out... not saying that tragedy is cool though..

The track is 9, he repeats " eleven " through the whole song. If you listen to the lyrics through out the first verse you can certainly apply them to 9-11 "what is it like to see, the face of your own stability, suddenly you look away, leaving you with the dead and hopeless..." Thought i'd make the connection... as if anyone reads the posts on this song these days..

TurdEye13
03-07-2006, 09:20 AM
of course this isnt the meaning of the song, however i think its cool enough to point out... not saying that tragedy is cool though..

The track is 9, he repeats " eleven " through the whole song. If you listen to the lyrics through out the first verse you can certainly apply them to 9-11 "what is it like to see, the face of your own stability, suddenly you look away, leaving you with the dead and hopeless..." Thought i'd make the connection... as if anyone reads the posts on this song these days..

very interesting way to look at it.

SagEarthDragon
03-27-2006, 08:00 PM
9-11 would be a good assumption, but I don't know about that. Then again, I'm not sure of Lateralus' release date.

I think 11 would relate to numerology, or just any kind of esoteric studies. 11 is a master number, other than 22, and 11 represents higher spiritual knowledge. Jesus or any iconic saviors would be 11's, a person wise beyond their years who hates to see any discord and loves union, hence

'As soon as pain allows to reunite and both move on together'

Or that eleven has the power to tap into ancient roots or any archaic knowledge that someone has been searching for. A light to guide the way.

I'm rambling again, but that's my take on eleven. Eleven happens to be my Soul Number, so it's pretty cool.

tool25
04-03-2006, 04:35 PM
that link interesting

sillymonkey
04-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Here is what the "11" means to me:

Relationships are based on the ability of Individuals (1's) to bond. 11 represents a harmonic balance...an ideal relationship that can only be divided by itself. Two individuals (1+1) who have not lost their identities in one another, but have found a unity that allows for individuality, can together create the greater "11". Two one's, side by side.

The common assertion is that the song is about abuse. However, I can't help but draw the "eleven/unity" conclusion...

...I'll move to heal
As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together....'till one and one are one, eleven...

Ironically...the division of eleven is expressed in Pushit...track 11

Maybe I'm wrong...I'll have to drink about it some more.... $0.02

Brino
04-24-2006, 06:30 PM
It's about his momma. She had a stroke when Maynard was eleven. It makes sense. Since Maynard was 11-When his mother died was around 10,000 days, how long it took him to cope and heal maybe? Listen to Wings Pt 1. Tell me what you think.

seneca77
04-26-2006, 06:54 AM
two songs i cant figure out for the life of me...jimmy and eulogy...although eulogy is about bill bhicks (why is mjk so bitter?) and jimmy is about working through cycles of abuse

uh, eulogy is about L. Ron Hubbard

burning bridges
04-26-2006, 02:44 PM
I doubt the 9-11 stuff is realistic since the song was written well before those events.

sub rosa
04-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Jimmy is about Maynard's childhood. He grew up in Ohio (under a dead Ohio sky), his mother left him, and his life was tragedy. He seperated himself from his childhood, so to speak, forming two relative entities-man and child. On returning to his former home, he merged his childhood with him, taking one and one to form one so-called 'eleven', an all powerful being, as stated above; it being a metaphor for the fact that he rose above his tragedy. During the merging he takes each gentle step by step, by inch, by loaded memory with him. Eleven was also his age at the time. As for the 9-11 crap, that is rediculous.

sub rosa
04-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Eulogy is about Maynard's dislike in L. Ron Hubbard.

CrownOfNegativity
04-28-2006, 11:08 PM

Except Aenima was, of course, released in 1996.

Inner_Eulogy
05-14-2006, 02:40 PM

You gotta be a complete idiot to think it has anything to do with 9-11...this album was released years before that happened

Inner_Eulogy
05-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Jimmy is about Maynard's childhood. He grew up in Ohio (under a dead Ohio sky), his mother left him, and his life was tragedy. He seperated himself from his childhood, so to speak, forming two relative entities-man and child. On returning to his former home, he merged his childhood with him, taking one and one to form one so-called 'eleven', an all powerful being, as stated above; it being a metaphor for the fact that he rose above his tragedy. During the merging he takes each gentle step by step, by inch, by loaded memory with him. Eleven was also his age at the time. As for the 9-11 crap, that is rediculous.

You're spot on....

therandom
05-14-2006, 04:47 PM
You're spot on....

Uh, nope. No he wasn't. THe signifigance of 11 is when James' momma had her accident/stroke. He was eleven.

Has anyone realized as well that Eulogy is probably about Paul D'amour?

The Useful Idiot
05-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Uh, nope. No he wasn't. THe signifigance of 11 is when James' momma had her accident/stroke. He was eleven.

Has anyone realized as well that Eulogy is probably about Paul D'amour?

I heard that the band was on good terms with Paul

martyrinexile86
05-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Although I have my own opinions on the meanings of Tool's songs which are more or less similar to the ones presented in a pdf book "Toolbook" (have You read the one? if not I can send or find a website for You), however I ahve found a story about Jimmy which is very intersting. To me this story is based on the song, rather than song on this, still I really like it. Here is the link:

Never read it.

dissonance19
05-17-2006, 02:48 PM
eulogy isn't about one person. And Paul helped write Eulogy, as well as Stinkfist, Pushit, Hooker, and aenema. They performed them live before he left in sept 95. You can find them on set lists on distortiononline.com and the performances live on youtube if you type in the names of the songs and 1995

But I heard Maynard said live that jimmy is like a Prison Sex 2 and how it's seeing who you have become since the abuse. I think he also said, it's like coming to terms with the past. Which would make sense with whole theme of the album. Also thought how he refers to his mom possibly. Maybe she couldn't stop the abuse because she was paralyzed at that time, or had no idea it was going on?

swampyfool
05-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Here is what the "11" means to me:

Relationships are based on the ability of Individuals (1's) to bond. 11 represents a harmonic balance...an ideal relationship that can only be divided by itself. Two individuals (1+1) who have not lost their identities in one another, but have found a unity that allows for individuality, can together create the greater "11". Two one's, side by side.

The common assertion is that the song is about abuse. However, I can't help but draw the "eleven/unity" conclusion...

...I'll move to heal
As soon as pain allows so we can
Reunite and both move on together....'till one and one are one, eleven...

Ironically...the division of eleven is expressed in Pushit...track 11

Maybe I'm wrong...I'll have to drink about it some more.... $0.02

I don't believe that the number "11" refers to an idyllic union, rather the best option until the two ones can become whole again. "'Til one, and one, are one; Eleven so glow, child, glow, I'm headin' back home" It seems to me that he is saying for now, we (the two "ones") must live separately as eleven, until the day that we can become one again. Until that day, hold your light and glow, and eventually I will find your glow and we will reunite.

I like the idea that the two "ones" are his childhood identity (that he may have left "Under a dead Ohio sky") and his current identity. This would explain why the culminating line is that he is heading back home- maybe to find the glow of his other half.

reordian
05-20-2006, 12:10 PM
If there can be such a thing as a favorite Tool song, this is the one for me.
The great thing about it (and this goes for most Tool songs) is that it works on so many levels - it work as a song about lovers uniting, it works as a song about reconnecting with one's earlier self.
It is deeply personal and speaks to anyone willing to listen on a deeply personal level.
It's powerful, it's about healing, about fixing a relationship. With whom, that is of little concern really...

Melanos
05-21-2006, 10:11 PM
eleven.. 1 and 1 are 1. Goes with the light theme of the song. one person "drives" the other one "follows". Its a give and take relationship traveling to "the light within".
Maynard was obviously "seeing the light" for the first time and recalling what it was like.
He said its like a Prison Sex2 because... there is no way he cant take his experiances from himself and readily give them to you. You have to do that for yourself. So he feels like the "knowledge" he has is imprisoned within himself trying to break out for you(the listener) but alas.... cant ever hope to escape unless you find the key within yourself.

Melanos
05-21-2006, 10:12 PM
Oh yeah... and the song is about L.Ron. Hubbard...... not bill hicks, but your free to think what you wish.

Melanos
05-21-2006, 10:15 PM
oh and to the 11 thing again when he "waves goodbye". He found his 11 (remember 1 and 1 are 1) he left behind the world he thought he lived in... and found a new one, and yet its the same one.

wearethestories
05-25-2006, 01:16 PM
http://www.vanillacircus.net/book/tool_book.pdf

eternalguise
05-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Hello everyone, I’m new here. Been a fan of Tool since the release of Undertow.

I LOVE this song. I have a revolving list of favorite tool songs..so hard to pick just one. But always Jimmy is in my list. Personally I have always thought this song was about dissociation due to childhood abuse. My take on it is this. He was abused and in that event his mind split as can happen during very traumatic events. The female side of his mind, the part of him that can be vulnerable etc, was left behind after that event. Part of his mind is trapped as his eleven year old self. Still holding onto memories that were too painful to face and deal with at the time. He pushed those memories away and waved bye hoping to not have to face or deal with what happened. That part of him is now calling to him as an adult now..he knows he has to revisit his pain in order to heal and he and his fractured past must come together to become a whole person. His eleven-year-old self is still there and is leading the way for him to revisit his pain and to heal. That’s my take on it at least.

This song is so sad yet beautiful. I love it.

OGT from back in the day
06-03-2006, 11:34 AM
uh, eulogy is about L. Ron Hubbard
uh, ur both wrong, mjk said "this song is about martyrs" not one in particular just martyrs so u r both wrong

OGT from back in the day
06-03-2006, 11:36 AM
im not sure but on toolshed, in the FAQ didnt they say jimmy is about a little kid in ohio which is why the song is actually in lower case letters, because he is little

OGT from back in the day
06-03-2006, 11:41 AM
that is correct

OGT from back in the day
06-28-2006, 01:48 PM

dont capitalize the "j" .........its lower case for a reason