PDA

View Full Version : black as holes...

dissociation
11-21-2002, 05:36 PM
i'm not going to analyze this song up the asshole or anything, but i'm willing to believe it's about drugs. no, not all drugs, mainly intense psychoactives. (especially ketamine) if you read the liner notes, quite a bit of it is about ketamine and its dissociative effects. when you look at tool's progression, they didn't seem too spiritual at the time of "ænima." third eye is a metaphor, or so it seems, for what you discover about yourself while you're dissociated.

when people take dissociatives, they usually either have a very spiritual experience, or a near-death experience. i'm not too sure on the entire blue theme, but this song is definately pro-drugs. yes, it can be enjoyed without drugs, and interpreted as well, but it seems more fitting to compare the song to them because of the album's drug-type theme. (again, see liner notes) according to tool songs, spirituality didn't kick in until the production of "lateralus." i think this song is a summary of "ænima" and a direct link to "lateralus."

embrace
11-24-2002, 03:42 PM
ive always thought of third eye as being about dmt. the music itself is very intense, and the lyrics support it. people have said adam takes/took dmt , etc. the song is about 15 minutes, just like a dmt trip. the song, when you fully let your mind let go, takes you to places/scenes you havent seen before, just like a dmt trip. even the song before that leads up to third eye, -ions, is a loud buzzing noise, which is what is heard after you take a hit of dmt.

shadow939
11-24-2002, 08:44 PM
you very well could be right.... however it could be about psychedelics in general, hence the line about phosphorescent desert buttons (mescaline), or even more generally, the experience of seeing yourself from a different vantage point than you normally do - from the outside looking in instead of vice versa