PDA

View Full Version : the way Maynard thinks

Flojob
03-02-2003, 07:53 PM
now i know this might be hard to explain, but I was having a conversation with a huge tool fan in my highschool. He is a sernior now, and he is going to major in philosophy. Now he said that a lot of the concept of Lateralus was influenced by Danny. Now i thought that already, but then he said that Maynard doesnt really think the way he portrays in his lyrics. He said that it is really Danny talking, but Maynard is singing, or the lyrics reflect the way Maynard reacts to the different ideas that Danny brings into the band.

i'd like to hear everyones thoughts.

SmallWangedMan
03-02-2003, 09:03 PM
That wouldn't surprise me, but I think it's most likely that all of the band has some say. I know that Danny has trained with many different teachers though, but what seperates him from lot of drummers, on top of just plain skill, is the teachers he's learned from. He's learned a lot of drumming from players of more Eastern and sometimes Middle-Eastern styles of music, this is why you hear so many complex polyrythms and some really unique sounding drums from him. Now, the philosophy in Lateralus could really be compared to Eastern philosophy, like Buddhism and what not. It's not unlikely that some of these ideas rubbed off on him and he molded them from there with his own considerations.

This might also explain the extreme mathematicalness (is that a word?) of the band. After all, drums are a very mathematical instrument. Espexially Danny's.

newrnewt
03-04-2003, 04:12 AM
does anybody not recognise the strong influence from adam jones on the album.
granted danny carey is a stronger influence on the way maynard may think personally, but musically a guitar defines a larger range of sounds and when maynard tucks away in his hole hes going to listen to the guitar and drums equal and so forth write his lyrics to suit.