PDA

View Full Version : So what's their excuse this time?

ATARI
01-29-2006, 02:38 PM
Lateralus had the legal battle between the band and their record label. Why the 5 year wait this time? (Yes I am that cynical)

Before you all start saying, good albums need time, remember that Aenima was released only 3 years after Undertow, and Undertow only 1 year after Opiate.

Spoon
01-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Numerous other projects, down time, the fact that they have lives and don't only make music, and the overwhelming feeling that they don't owe your cynical ass shit.

MasterOfKtulu109
01-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Lateralus had the legal battle between the band and their record label. Why the 5 year wait this time? (Yes I am that cynical)

Before you all start saying, good albums need time, remember that Aenima was released only 3 years after Undertow, and Undertow only 1 year after Opiate.

to begin, almost all of undertow's songs were written before opiate came out, so the band pretty much just had to throw those on a cd. there was no writing process after opiate.

from the rumors about this new cd, the songs are longer and even more complex, so it would naturally take longer to put this cd together. also, maynard didnt even join the band until last november or so; this means they have roughly done the album in a year, which is pretty efficient.

theres plenty of other good cds to listen to in the mean time.

One Dark Flame
01-29-2006, 02:45 PM

A Perfect Circle is probaly the biggest reason. Don't get me wrong I like APC alot (even through there not close to Tool in my opinion) I think there one of the big reasons why its taken so long.

One Dark Flame
01-29-2006, 02:46 PM
to begin, almost all of undertow's songs were written before opiate came out, so the band pretty much just had to throw those on a cd. there was no writing process after opiate.

from the rumors about this new cd, the songs are longer and even more complex, so it would naturally take longer to put this cd together. also, maynard didnt even join the band until last november or so; this means they have roughly done the album in a year, which is pretty efficient.

What other good CD'S??

TurdEye13
01-29-2006, 03:08 PM

Not really.

Hodge
01-29-2006, 03:08 PM
they toured till the end of 2002
give em a break, they are perfectionists, and i'm sure this album will be well worth the wait much like lateralus was

i am going to wager this album will top lateralus (somehow...)

Isac Khrondor
01-29-2006, 03:09 PM
The only thing that worries me about the long gaps they take is the fact that they're getting older, which isn't a problem for Adam and Justin.. but Maynards voice might deteroriate, or Danny might get all weak and feeble.

Hodge
01-29-2006, 03:12 PM
i can see maynard's voice hitting the shitter but Danny has VOLTO! to keep him warm

Isac Khrondor
01-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Maynard was sounding a bit crap in that new song with Danny Lohner..

dark_Speedo
01-29-2006, 04:03 PM
He sounded fine on APC's latest stuff. I'm not a fan of eMOTIVE but his voice sounded flawless on the cover of Imagine. He will sound great.

Ktuluvic
01-29-2006, 04:21 PM
I forget who said it, probably the 'nard, but he said something to the extent of it takes time to grow as a person and gain new experiences which is why they don't throw out album after album.

hellboy1975
01-29-2006, 04:43 PM
What other good CD'S??
eMOTIVE - duh!

TurdEye13
01-29-2006, 05:33 PM
you just aren't looking in the right places.

(my pants)

wow, never thought of that before

mike09
01-29-2006, 06:58 PM
You shouldn't worry too much about Maynard's voice. Aging doesn't neccesarily make your singing voice worse. The majority reason of singing voices getting worse over time are due to the singers themselves not taking care of their voice. Maynard sounds like a smart guy and does probably take good care of his voice. I liked his voice on the new Puscifer song, but I doubt the new Tool album will feature vocals like that. It's just a little different from Tool vocals and I think he did that on purpose to seperate Puscifer from Tool.

What other good CD'S??

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing

Noob_Jones
01-29-2006, 07:09 PM
Go listen to Johnny Cash - Hurt and then try to wine about how aging is going to fuck up MJK's voice.

TenSpeed
01-29-2006, 07:45 PM
No offense to anyone, but Johnny Cash's Hurt sucks. Badly.
I know he was dying and stuff, but that aside, the song is shit.

mike09
01-29-2006, 07:49 PM
I like it.

Noob_Jones
01-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Lol ok it sucks, now name some better music.

dark_Speedo
01-29-2006, 07:52 PM
I know he was dying and stuff, but that aside, the song is shit.
The only person who would agree with that statement is Killershears. Everyone I know that has heard it likes it.

MasterOfKtulu109
01-29-2006, 08:01 PM
What other good CD'S??

Foo Fighters - In Your Honor
SOAD - Hypnotize
SOAD - Mezmerize
Rolling Stones - Bigger Bang
Death Cab for Cutie - Plans

thats just stuff from the last year. im too lazy to make a full list of good albums.

Unintelligible_Whispering
01-29-2006, 08:12 PM
SOAD - Hypnotize
SOAD - Mezmerize

thats just stuff from the last year. im too lazy to make a full list of good albums.
in your honour really? personally i found that album really dissapointing, it seemed like they tried something that just didnt work for them, and that they only really had about 40 mins of decent music altogether. not much of a fan of their stuff after nothing left to lose.
hypnotize is fucking awesome though.

fraz
01-29-2006, 08:38 PM
SOAD - Hypnotize
SOAD - Mezmerize

foo fighters suck nowadays. Their first album is still their best.

Ktuluvic
01-29-2006, 08:39 PM

did you just really list a death cab album in a good album list? Well, that's another guy I can add to the ol' block list.

Goldfoot
01-29-2006, 09:22 PM
What other good CD'S??

If you really think Tool is the only good band, you need to find a life.

Sleep
01-29-2006, 09:32 PM
The Colour and the Shape is the best thing FF have and will ever do. SOAD suck.

bluefire
01-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Go listen to Johnny Cash - Hurt and then try to wine about how aging is going to fuck up MJK's voice.

Yeah well Cash wasn't exactly performing hard rock, either.

ARMZ
01-29-2006, 09:54 PM
I thought Maynard sounded pretty fucking tight with Alice In Chains.

Noob_Jones
01-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah well Cash wasn't exactly performing hard rock, either.

Ok then Brian Johnson of AC/DC he is pushing 60.

One Dark Flame
01-29-2006, 10:49 PM
eMOTIVE - duh!
"Passive" was real good the cover of "Imagine" was good I haven't finished listening to the rest of it yet..........................................LOL

One Dark Flame
You shouldn't worry too much about Maynard's voice. Aging doesn't neccesarily make your singing voice worse. The majority reason of singing voices getting worse over time are due to the singers themselves not taking care of their voice. Maynard sounds like a smart guy and does probably take good care of his voice. I liked his voice on the new Puscifer song, but I doubt the new Tool album will feature vocals like that. It's just a little different from Tool vocals and I think he did that on purpose to seperate Puscifer from Tool.

Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
What's that one sound like??

Chris_Brightwell
Lateralus had the legal battle between the band and their record label. Why the 5 year wait this time? (Yes I am that cynical).... They toured for two years, for starters.

Chris_Brightwell
01-29-2006, 10:51 PM
A Perfect Circle is probaly the biggest reason.It's not like Danny wasn't touring/recording with anyone, either.

One Dark Flame
01-29-2006, 10:52 PM
SOAD - Hypnotize
SOAD - Mezmerize

Some good points......I've heard a couple song's off the "Foo Fighters" cd that are pretty good. I have both "SOAD" cd's the first one is real good haven't gotten to listen to the second one yet....... I don't like the Stones and haven't heard anything from Death Cab but I've heard there good.

One Dark Flame
01-29-2006, 10:55 PM
If you really think Tool is the only good band, you need to find a life.
And you need to calm down. I never said "TOOL" was the only great band I said nothing has come out lately worth buying. Doesn't mean I don't like other bands. Alice In Chains for example, there right up there with "TOOL" in my book.

Chris_Brightwell
01-29-2006, 10:56 PM
What other good CD'S??From 2005? Plenty.

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill (Acoustic)
Ani Difranco - Knuckle Down
Bruce Springsteen - Devils and Dust
Clutch - Robot Hive / Exodus
Feersum Ennjin - Self-Titled EP (this is Paul D'amour's new project)
Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
Foo Fighters - In Your Honor (not their best, but still good)
Gorillaz - Demon Days
KMFDM - Hau Ruck
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Mike Doughty - Haughty Melodic
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
Moby - Hotel
Tori Amos - The Beekeeper
Weezer - Make Believe

One Dark Flame
01-29-2006, 10:57 PM
I thought Maynard sounded pretty fucking tight with Alice In Chains.
Hells yes!!!!!!!!

Chris_Brightwell
01-29-2006, 10:58 PM
I know he was dying and stuff, but that aside, the song is shit.No offense, but you're probably too young to appreciate Johnny Cash, so it'll probably take you a while to understand that Mr. Cash stole that song from Trent Reznor.

Trent himself even said that Hurt was no longer his, but that it belonged to Johnny Cash now.

One Dark Flame
01-29-2006, 10:59 PM
It's not like Danny wasn't touring/recording with anyone, either.
Very true, but I feel like he would have been more willing to put his projects on the back burner in order to try and get a Tool cd out quicker. Good point through.

Chris_Brightwell
01-29-2006, 11:01 PM
I feel like [Danny] would have been more willing to put his projects on the back burner in order to try and get a Tool cd out quicker....

You're kidding, right? Danny had been trying to get the PLC album out of the studio and out on the road for years. I imagine he was elated when Billy/MJK asked if they wanted to open the APC minitour.

One Dark Flame
01-29-2006, 11:04 PM
From 2005? Plenty.

Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill (Acoustic)
Ani Difranco - Knuckle Down
Bruce Springsteen - Devils and Dust
Clutch - Robot Hive / Exodus
Feersum Ennjin - Self-Titled EP (this is Paul D'amour's new project)
Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
Foo Fighters - In Your Honor (not their best, but still good)
Gorillaz - Demon Days
KMFDM - Hau Ruck
The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute
Mike Doughty - Haughty Melodic
Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth
Moby - Hotel
Tori Amos - The Beekeeper
Weezer - Make Believe
I could not stand the only song I heard from the NIN Cd. So Paul is still working ay?? LOL :()

One Dark Flame
01-29-2006, 11:07 PM

You're kidding, right? Danny had been trying to get the PLC album out of the studio and out on the road for years. I imagine he was elated when Billy/MJK asked if they wanted to open the APC minitour.
Well he did say in that one magazine that if he had his druthers it would not take 5 years to get the new cd out. Unless they had a Movie type thing with it.

Chris_Brightwell
01-29-2006, 11:11 PM
I could not stand the only song I heard from the NIN Cd. And which song was that?

So Paul is still working ay?? LOL :()... He's *been* working.

One Dark Flame
01-29-2006, 11:22 PM
And which song was that?
Which ever one they made a video for, not big on NIN So can't tell you for sure.

... He's *been* working.
I was half kidding seeing if maybe I could get a chukle or two. :()

s ti N Kfizt
01-30-2006, 12:15 AM
what the shait. if they would have released lateralus 2 or 3 years after aenima, lateralus would be something else.. Tool needs time to do what you love, so shut up and wait.

wait.. this thread wasn't so serious... sory.

Tyson
01-30-2006, 01:11 AM
No offense, but you're probably too young to appreciate Johnny Cash,

I call bullshit.

Goldfoot
01-30-2006, 01:48 AM
And you need to calm down. I never said "TOOL" was the only great band I said nothing has come out lately worth buying. Doesn't mean I don't like other bands. Alice In Chains for example, there right up there with "TOOL" in my book.

There's no way I could get any calmer. I don't care what you listen to, but the way you just threw out there "What other good CDs?" tells me you don't listen to very many bands. There is no way your comment would get me worked up, I just simply meant that if you got out a little more, you'd be exposed to good music.

Foamy
01-30-2006, 02:05 AM
Plus Alice in Chains suck.

Lateral Undertow
01-30-2006, 05:24 AM
Why would Maynards voice deteriorate? Look at Ozzy, Mick Jagger, Roger Waters, and Stephen Tyler. Those guys have been around for 30 to 40 years and they still sound fine. Whether you like them or not, they still appeal to their core listeners. Just like Maynard will to us when he is in his 50's or even 60's.

/V\agina
01-30-2006, 05:32 AM

Man... I thought you were cool.

Pineal
01-30-2006, 05:47 AM
Why would Maynards voice deteriorate? Look at Ozzy, Mick Jagger, Roger Waters, and Stephen Tyler. Those guys have been around for 30 to 40 years and they still sound fine. Whether you like them or not, they still appeal to their core listeners. Just like Maynard will to us when he is in his 50's or even 60's.
Did you hear Waters sing at Live 8? Obviously not, but I assure you his voice is fucked.

That said, you're point has merit (Dave Gilmore is still in fine voice, along with plenty of other aged singers). The thing about Maynard is that the style we know and love is probably a lot more subject to age due to the strain it puts on the vocal chords. It's unlikely a fifty-year old could do the screams he's been doing for the past decade and a half. Still, him not being able to scream wouldn't mean the end of Tool. He'd just adapt.

Also, I can't even listen to Reznor's version of Hurt after hearing Cash's. Great video as well.

Nebel
01-30-2006, 05:58 AM
Maynard is still young, in his 40s, not like he's in his 50s or 60s.

Isac Khrondor
01-30-2006, 07:44 AM

Those people you mentioned sound terrible now, especially Roger Waters.

And I really doubt Maynard will still be singing when he's in his 60's.

Bogart
01-30-2006, 08:18 AM
why should they be under a time constraint? they will make music when they feel its time

Kurt Russell
01-30-2006, 08:29 AM
Maynard is 40. Which isn't really that old. Not to mention he appears to be in excellent physical condition and probably takes great care of himself and his voice. As for Danny, I know this kid who's grandfather plays drums. He's like 60something and pretty sick behind the set.

Foamy
01-30-2006, 09:45 AM
Maynard is 42 this year. That means if we have to wait another 5 years for the next album he will be 47. If they tour for 2 years he will be 49. Im pretty sure this will be their last album

Lateral Undertow
01-30-2006, 10:03 AM
Those people you mentioned sound terrible now, especially Roger Waters.

And I really doubt Maynard will still be singing when he's in his 60's.
i saw Roger Waters in concert 4 or 5 years ago and he sounded great. i also saw Aerosmith a few years back and Tyler was incredible. Plus if you would have read my entire post you would realize that I said they still appeal to their core fan base, even if you think they have lost some ability due to age.

Lateral Undertow
01-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Did you hear Waters sing at Live 8? Obviously not, but I assure you his voice is fucked.

That said, you're point has merit (Dave Gilmore is still in fine voice, along with plenty of other aged singers). The thing about Maynard is that the style we know and love is probably a lot more subject to age due to the strain it puts on the vocal chords. It's unlikely a fifty-year old could do the screams he's been doing for the past decade and a half. Still, him not being able to scream wouldn't mean the end of Tool. He'd just adapt.

Also, I can't even listen to Reznor's version of Hurt after hearing Cash's. Great video as well.

i agree that Maynard puts much more strain on his voice due to his style, for example screams that approach 30 seconds in length. I also agree that he would adapt. Which he started to do on the last tour by only performing tickes and leaches a handful of times. I can not speak for everyone else but I would be fine with listening to Tool with Maynard only singing and no screaming.

Noob_Jones
01-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Screaming done correctly, the way Maynard does it, can be held for a long time and not strain your voice at all. If it feels like you have just been coughing after a scream ... then you are doing it wrong.

dracomordag
01-30-2006, 10:40 AM

Way to name the first four i would mention if trying to prove that aging fucks up your voice...

that said, I think MJK will be fine... it doesn't happen to everyone, and he'll probably take care of it pretty well.

dracomordag
01-30-2006, 10:43 AM

Like Kick-ass-ness bottled, then put in digital form and placed on a CD. Nowhere near as aggressive as Tool, or as their previous In Absentia, but then again, I'm not a big fan of aggressive music. Any PorcTree album's a good bet, but judging by the fact that you're posting on a Tool forum and say you like Alice in Chains, I'd buy In Absentia before Deadwing.

MasterOfKtulu109
01-30-2006, 11:57 AM

well, we'll have to wait and see how many good Alice in Chains albums come out in the near future....

mike09
01-30-2006, 11:57 AM

Die.

Like Kick-ass-ness bottled, then put in digital form and placed on a CD. Nowhere near as aggressive as Tool, or as their previous In Absentia, but then again, I'm not a big fan of aggressive music. Any PorcTree album's a good bet, but judging by the fact that you're posting on a Tool forum and say you like Alice in Chains, I'd buy In Absentia before Deadwing.

Glad to see a fellow PT fan on the forum. :)

MasterOfKtulu109
01-30-2006, 11:59 AM

maynard will not be making music for another 20 years. if this is not the last Tool album, I will be shocked.

Fulcanelli
01-30-2006, 12:20 PM
maynard will not be making music for another 20 years. if this is not the last Tool album, I will be shocked.

One word: OZZY

dracomordag
01-30-2006, 12:34 PM

And if you're right, then the world will end

TenSpeed
01-30-2006, 12:35 PM
No offense, but you're probably too young to appreciate Johnny Cash, so it'll probably take you a while to understand that Mr. Cash stole that song from Trent Reznor.

Trent himself even said that Hurt was no longer his, but that it belonged to Johnny Cash now.

Eh, maybe so, but I still think Reznor's version is hauntingly beautiful and that Cash's doesn't even compare. Only one man's opinion though.

mike09
01-30-2006, 12:44 PM
NIN original is better than the Cash version.

Ganjalf
01-30-2006, 12:55 PM

if you havent heard porcupine tree get in abenstia, they are considered, like tool, a prog rock band, dont get me wrong the 2 bands dont sound very simliar but porcupine tree, imo , is really good

Goldfoot
01-30-2006, 01:16 PM
NIN original is better than the Cash version.

I agree for two reasons.

1. It's Reznor's song and NIN are my favorite band.
2. I don't like Cash's voice.

Lateral Undertow
01-30-2006, 01:31 PM
Screaming done correctly, the way Maynard does it, can be held for a long time and not strain your voice at all. If it feels like you have just been coughing after a scream ... then you are doing it wrong.

I don't know from personal experience so I will take your word for it. Maybe I am being overly-optimistic but I just don't think this is the the last Tool album.

moneyisevil
01-30-2006, 02:51 PM
umm how about the fact they TOOL actually didnt go into the studio until August?

waffel
01-30-2006, 02:54 PM
This is probably going to be the last new album. After this it will be live DVDs and 'greatest hits' bullshit like that. I doubt they'll make any more new songs.

ATARI
01-30-2006, 02:56 PM
2. I don't like Cash's voice.

hahahahhaahahahaha

dark_Speedo
01-30-2006, 03:03 PM
How could you say Trent Reznor's version is better?

I forget who said this, Dan maybe? Whatever...

"Warm heartfelt acoustic > Bland synth-pop"

Chris_Brightwell
01-30-2006, 03:11 PM
This is probably going to be the last new album. After this it will be live DVDs and 'greatest hits' bullshit like that. I doubt they'll make any more new songs.Wow ... Next time, leave this firmly lodged in your ass. No sense in pulling it out.

TenSpeed
01-30-2006, 03:22 PM
How could you say Trent Reznor's version is better?

I forget who said this, Dan maybe? Whatever...

"Warm heartfelt acoustic > Bland synth-pop"

Bland synth-pop?
You obviously haven't heard much NIN.

dark_Speedo
01-30-2006, 03:31 PM
Bland synth-pop?
You obviously haven't heard much NIN.
Actually, I have 2 albums. It comes down to personal preferance but Johnny Cash's version is a lot more emotional, which is the reason I like it more. Again, Reznor's version is bland.

mike09
01-30-2006, 03:34 PM
I like both versions. I just like the original better. To me, it's more disturbing and haunting and that's what I like about it. When I first heard Cash's version, it was on KROQ, and I thought it was a joke done by someone in the studios. This is because I just couldn't actually believe that Cash would cover "Hurt", but he did. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. His version is pretty good. The original is just a bit better, IMO.

Tyro
01-30-2006, 03:52 PM

Can you scream?

Noob_Jones
01-30-2006, 04:47 PM
Can you scream?

Without it feeling like I've been coughing afterwords? Yes. For as long and with as much passion as Maynard? No.

ATARI
01-30-2006, 05:20 PM
It takes time and control training to do that kind of screaming. I can hold singing notes for that long (vocal lessons TEYESYSEYS) but cannot scream

Æmitis
01-30-2006, 05:35 PM
Well, not trying to get "on-topic", but did anyone ever considered the fact that Tool knows that their "market", their fans, that WE will always be here? 5, 6 years... we can take it. We find these assorted facts, these easy-to-make suggestions about the reason it takes them so much time to make music and we don't even see that some of the fault is actualy ours. I think that we've made no pressure whatsoever, or maybe, they just don't let themselves feel it. We salivate and they numb us with DVD-singles or side-projects that don't actualy hit the spot entirely. I think the ageing fact is very important. I've read here about aerosmith and rolling stones... for christs sake, do you really think Tool will ever reach that state? What for? New songs? I don't want new songs... I wan't great songs. And they've given us that already, and i'm sure the next album will add a dozen more. After that... who knows... but i'm betting on just one more full-length release.

Noob_Jones
01-30-2006, 05:41 PM
If money is to be made Tool will make a new album.

hellboy1975
01-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Amen

millermt
01-30-2006, 06:12 PM

If Tool has proven anything, it's that they're not about the money. If so, they'd crank out an album a year, and we would consume and consume some more.

If they feel like they have more to say, Tool will make a new album.

Goldfoot
01-30-2006, 07:09 PM
If Tool has proven anything, it's that they're not about the money. If so, they'd crank out an album a year, and we would consume and consume some more.

If they feel like they have more to say, Tool will make a new album.

Oh it's about the money, just not entirely. How else do you explain TWO DVD singles released right before the NEW album?

MasterOfKtulu109
01-30-2006, 07:14 PM

if tool wanted more money, they would have churned out 2 albums in the last 5 years with mediocre songs, along with a greatest hits cd.

and they dont really make that much selling the record. if they sell a million copies, thats around $1 million bucks. split that among 4 band members, take out all the expenses (producer, engineering, studio time) and consider they havent made any significant money since the tour in 2002, thats not much money at all.

MasterOfKtulu109
01-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Oh it's about the money, just not entirely. How else do you explain TWO DVD singles released right before the NEW album?

how much do you actually think they made on those singles? i bet only 100-200k copies sold, thats roughly $150,000. split that among the four band members....not much at all.

Hodge
01-30-2006, 07:31 PM
how much do you actually think they made on those singles? i bet only 100-200k copies sold, thats roughly $150,000. split that among the four band members....not much at all.

so each dvd was worth a dollar?

bluefire
01-30-2006, 07:35 PM

i would imagine the vast majority of that money would go to adam.

One Dark Flame
01-30-2006, 09:03 PM
There's no way I could get any calmer. I don't care what you listen to, but the way you just threw out there "What other good CDs?" tells me you don't listen to very many bands. There is no way your comment would get me worked up, I just simply meant that if you got out a little more, you'd be exposed to good music.
Will then the fact that you responded to my "what other good cd's" comment shows me that you assume way too much with out finding out any facts. I could have merly been asking the other Guy what cd's he considers to be good so that I could as you said "get out a little more" and indulge in even more great music. Doesn't mean I don't listen to lots of bands just trying to expand my musical archive. But Thanks for your concern. :()

One Dark Flame
01-30-2006, 09:05 PM
How dare you?? But seriously what don't you like about them?? Layne's voice was amazing!!

One Dark Flame
01-30-2006, 09:05 PM
That's a bit harsh, but I think they are too depressing and boring 85% of the time. Still they got some really good songs.
Layne had a great voice would you agree with that??

One Dark Flame
01-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Man... I thought you were cool.
LOL :()

One Dark Flame
01-30-2006, 09:10 PM
I love thta Kick-ass-ness comment that's awesome. I don't need aggressive music to get my jollys off "Lateralus" for example was tamed compared to "Aenema" and they both are some of the best music I've ever heard. Thanks for the advice anymore cd's you'd like to tell me about?? Did you like "AIC" by the way??

One Dark Flame
01-30-2006, 09:11 PM
well, we'll have to wait and see how many good Alice in Chains albums come out in the near future....
Ouch, Man why??

One Dark Flame
01-30-2006, 09:17 PM
if you havent heard porcupine tree get in abenstia, they are considered, like tool, a prog rock band, dont get me wrong the 2 bands dont sound very simliar but porcupine tree, imo , is really good
Now I kinda want too check them out. How old is that CD you mentioned??

One Dark Flame
01-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Wow ... Next time, leave this firmly lodged in your ass. No sense in pulling it out.
LOL Funny as hell!!

One Dark Flame
01-30-2006, 09:24 PM
The dvd's were 8 dollars a piece or the total amount of one regulary priced dvd.

Goldfoot
01-30-2006, 09:30 PM
The dvd's were 8 dollars a piece or the total amount of one regulary priced dvd.

Man, you really want to up your post count don't ya bud?

One Dark Flame
01-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Man, you really want to up your post count don't ya bud?
No............ Maybe.........Yes :()

Goldfoot
01-30-2006, 09:55 PM
No............ Maybe.........Yes :()

Take some of mine. :-p

ARMZ
01-31-2006, 02:12 AM
You can't explain it just like you can't explain a lot of things that go on in the world of Tool. At least with those it's more quality than quantity and that's with their albums as well.

If Tool wanted to make more money they could easily do something like what Radiohead has done, release an album then release the same album later with limited edition stamped on it and all that has been changed is the packaging. Or they could do what Pearl Jam do and release their studio albums and then live albums as well which have sold by the hundreds of thousands.

It's pretty simple for Tool to make a lot more money by doing little things like this yet they choose not to, although one could say they have with Ænima, I think there's a total of 3 different covers but most likely 2 of them are out of print.

They might be hard on the fans but they don't regurgitate the same shit over and over again.

Lateral Undertow
01-31-2006, 05:26 AM
One last note on Maynards voice and then I will shut up about it. To my knowledge Maynard is not and never has been a heavy smoker. Which makes him differnet from many rock singers. Smoking does an incredible amount of damage to your throat and vocal chords. Therefore I think he has a better chance of keeping his voice strong and sounding as good as he did when he was younger.

dracomordag
01-31-2006, 08:06 AM
so each dvd was worth a dollar?

No, but artists make one dollar out of every 10 dollars of sales.

dracomordag
01-31-2006, 08:09 AM
Now I kinda want too check them out. How old is that CD you mentioned??

Deadwing is from 2005, In Absentia is from 2002

Their other studio albums are from 2000 (Lightbulb Sun), 1999 (Stupid Dream), 1996 (Signify), 1995 (The Sky Moves Sideways), 1993 (Up the Downstair), 1991 (On the Sunday of Life), and a few demos hailing back to 89

Lateral Undertow
01-31-2006, 08:47 AM
No, but artists make one dollar out of every 10 dollars of sales.

I heard this also, the rest of the money goes to retailers, shippers, etc. This is why bands tour so extensively, because they don't make enough money off of album sales to support themselves. This is also the reason why you see rappers living much more lavishly than members of rock bands. Rappers don't have to split the money with other members. Therefore they make much more off of album sales.

ARMZ
01-31-2006, 08:52 AM
This is also the reason why you see rappers living much more lavishly than members of rock bands. Rappers don't have to split the money with other members. Therefore they make much more off of album sales.
That's more of a facade, they are given shit to wear, drive, drink and so forth, it's publicity. Of course though they do still have millions of dollars, the top mainstream rappers do anyway.

hanger25934
01-31-2006, 10:03 AM
danny kept breakin drum heads.

Lateral Undertow
01-31-2006, 10:05 AM
That's more of a facade, they are given shit to wear, drive, drink and so forth, it's publicity. Of course though they do still have millions of dollars, the top mainstream rappers do anyway.

I agree that much of it is an image thing in order to keep their "street cred", and maybe they don't make a lot more money overall. But, it just seems they don't have to work nearly as hard. I haven't heard of any rapper touring for a year and a half or 2 years for an album like so many rock groups do, because this where rock groups make their money. We can all admit though that the popular musicians no matter the genre are doing alright financially.

Unintelligible_Whispering
02-01-2006, 12:38 AM
If Tool wanted to make more money they could easily do something like what Radiohead has done, release an album then release the same album later with limited edition stamped on it and all that has been changed is the packaging. Or they could do what Pearl Jam do and release their studio albums and then live albums as well which have sold by the hundreds of thousands.

or even do what the chili peppers are doing (releasing like 10 different versions of the next album, all with different b sides to suck in any collectors)

zenkinet
02-01-2006, 04:15 AM
Regarding Tool, in that they are an aging band, one should also realize as Tool grows older so does their fanbase, its just the younger new fans who may think that their age is strangely older then the many music stars of today.

LetGoLetgoLetGo
02-02-2006, 04:30 AM

Umm...The "legal battle"?..........That was AEnima. I dont question the time till Lateralus because is was so masterfully organized

One Dark Flame
02-02-2006, 11:39 AM
Take some of mine. :-p
Thanks dude. How many of your posts can I take?? :()

2and46
02-26-2006, 07:39 AM
Numerous other projects, down time, the fact that they have lives and don't only make music, and the overwhelming feeling that they don't owe your cynical ass shit.

Right on spoon. Maybe its cause they have other interests. I doubt they live and breathe tool 24 hours a day. Although APC doesn't help.

Citizen Erased
02-26-2006, 10:40 AM
If people are wondering what to listen to in the mean time, check out the band Secondsmile.

http://www.youtube.com/?v=xXhUlrwe-Rk

Dunno what the majority would make of them, but the bit on the song at 1:18 makes me wet.