PDA

View Full Version : Is this what they wanted?

hellboy1975
01-28-2006, 05:27 PM
I was listening to Ticks & Leeches this morning, and I came up with a couple of thoughts:

1. Theiving Bastards is a bit of an Un-American saying, did Justin contribute to the lyrics here? Or am I incorrect in thinking Americans don't say bastards a lot?
2. Could the song be directed at their record company, who were expecting a more commercial sounds from Lateralus, especially since "well this is what you're getting" is blasted out before a very uncommercial segment of quiet guitar strumming.

mike09
01-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Bastard is said often in America.

And yes, I think the song is directed towards either the record company, the critics, or the fans, or all 3.

hateAliases
02-08-2006, 05:28 PM
well heres my thought on that song...

i also do believe its about (or for) their record company. They maybe wanted something "smooth" and catchy whatever and tool was like "ok well give you something catchy" <-- thats why adam is doing this long clean thing with all the whispsers in the background. I'll get back to the background-whispers after this....

have you ever thought about that "Theiving Bastards" could mean "Steven Bastard" ?? maybe thats the one who wanted to put them a wheel on their heads and steer them u know...

back to the whispers.
it sounds like a fight or at least a disputation i think. also this chilling clean part ends, and BANG there you go FUCK YOU here you have your fucking clean thing... when this all explodes it really sounds like ... my god a whole city falling apart, it has SO much energy..... omg

moneyisevil
02-15-2006, 04:44 PM
"Good evening. It's good to see you all. Especially all our Hollywood guests. This next song we don't normally do, but seeing that we have some very important guests from Hollywood, we'd thought we'd do it for ya...
Incidently can we get you anything else? Cold beer? Hot Chocolate? Pillow on your fucken seat? Good..."

Wow..just the way MJK says this u can tell his is very very bitter...i think this song isn't about the fans, contrary to what most believe...but about "the blood suckers in the industry"...the labels etc...the magazines that say "will TOOL live up to their exception..." or anyone with high expectations

Fulcanelli
02-15-2006, 08:38 PM
I agree with moneyisevil that this song is not about the fans. Ticks and leeches are bloodsuckers and as far as I know fans don't fit that definition. The fans are what allow Tool to continue creating their art. The flow of money is from the fans to Tool.

The record companies and what not feed off Tool. It's unfortunate that those talentless jerkoffs make money off talented artists but such is life.

Dedicated_TOOLfan
02-17-2006, 08:24 PM
I was listening to Ticks & Leeches this morning, and I came up with a couple of thoughts:

1. Theiving Bastards is a bit of an Un-American saying, did Justin contribute to the lyrics here? Or am I incorrect in thinking Americans don't say bastards a lot?
2. Could the song be directed at their record company, who were expecting a more commercial sounds from Lateralus, especially since "well this is what you're getting" is blasted out before a very uncommercial segment of quiet guitar strumming.

I am perfectly in agreence with you.....I never thought of that......

ARMZ
02-18-2006, 11:56 AM
There's some fucking straight thinkers in this thread.

There is also something that Maynard said about selling a million copies of Ænima and only receiving a check for 50 grand. I'm sure someone else has heard this. I'm pretty sure that would've ticked them off greatly, if it is indeed true.

Dedicated_TOOLfan
02-25-2006, 09:44 PM
I know if I was Maynard I would be pissed if I didn't get more of the cut from the records I sold....I mean it is their music....they should get most of the money....fucking industries......I hope they choke......

Myriad: Days To Come
03-07-2006, 09:11 AM
It almost seems that this song was intended to be placed on the Aenima album.

Fit4Demolition
03-13-2006, 02:16 PM
yeah, the band doesnt like record labels very much because of what happened to them.
is it true that the band rarely ever play this song live. i heard that when recording the song it messed up maynards voice so much he couldnt sing for a week.

bass_dude
03-14-2006, 08:15 AM
^I thought that they play this live sometimes, (with a few effects to assist Maynard- you don't want his voice failing halfway through a cocert) but the one he has trouble with is meant to be the Grudge, with the massive scream halfway through- that hurts my vocal chords just thinking about it...

If they don't play it live, i've got to say, my friend won't be too pleased- it's his favourite song (Drummer you see)

Alex

snakeeyedhawk
03-14-2006, 09:45 AM
I think the song is directed at Volcano, who sued them for stupid contract thing.

Ænigma
03-20-2006, 10:14 AM
The album is exactly what I wanted, and Had in mind.

idontmind462
03-20-2006, 10:21 AM
The song is directed at the person listening to it, when they're in a situation that has backfired on them.

Wretched
03-20-2006, 11:20 AM
I always felt this should have been the single. It'd be a fun way to break back into the scene. A song that is asking people is this what they wanted? I don't think it is about the fans, but it is certainly about the record company.

idontmind462
03-20-2006, 12:50 PM
christ.

it's from person to person. perspective. Maynard is writing as someone else to the listener.

he's not going to write a song about a fucking record comapny. i'm not saying you're wrong and i am right, i'm just saying you're looking at it from a very superficial standpoint. what you're saying would diminish the meaning of the song infinitely.

Wretched
03-20-2006, 08:45 PM
christ.

it's from person to person. perspective. Maynard is writing as someone else to the listener.

he's not going to write a song about a fucking record comapny. i'm not saying you're wrong and i am right, i'm just saying you're looking at it from a very superficial standpoint. what you're saying would diminish the meaning of the song infinitely.

It's about the record company.

idontmind462
03-21-2006, 04:18 AM
lol. yeah it is.

systematicdecline
03-28-2006, 02:02 PM
its about everyone except me

idontmind462
03-28-2006, 02:04 PM
its about everyone except me
qft