PDA

View Full Version : No Oedipus Here

Delirium Color
01-19-2006, 12:08 AM
Yet another insightful interpretation. *L* My disclaimer from H. still applies here. Actually I am in agreement about this song with most posters. It is about him acknowleging that a part of himself was stagnated at 11 (arrested development) and his need to reunite with that part to be whole. Very profound.

Ok this is where I differ. I have read a lot of posts that claim they think that the trauma at age 11 has to do with the mother. I believe this isn't true. Sometimes the most important and stable person isn't your parent/s. Maybe it was Maynard's older sister. Maybe because she was older she was able to filter out some of the crap. Maybe she was the stability in his life.

Example from my own life. I am 4 years older than my brother. We had parents that were physically, mentally and emotionally abusive to us. They were drug abusers and would get violent. My brother, who at birth was a drug baby and born very underweight, was very small and slight and I would physically protect him when the belt came out. It was me, not my parents that explained the birds and the bees to him when the time was right. I basically raised him until at 16 I had my fill and left to live my own life. Years later as he and I talk he tells me how much he resented me leaving and that he had to deal with my mom all by himself. And how screwed up he became as a result. Heavy to deal with on my part.

This is just to show that parents do not always do their job and sometimes older siblings have to jump in to take over.

Onto my next tidbit. On the part where the lyrics read:
"It took so long to realize that
You hold the light that's been calling me back home."
My body always feels it:
" I was too scarred to realize......"
Has anyone else had that? Maybe I am the only one.

That's it. Done. Finito.