PDA

View Full Version : Maynard & the Deftones??

Hogpile
02-28-2003, 06:15 AM
This might be old news to some of you, but here goes. I was listening to Deftones White Pony last night, and Track 10 is a song called Passenger. Right when the singing started, I realized that it was Maynard in the background, and I was like what the fuck? Sure enough, I looked in the liner notes and not only does he sing most of the song, but he is credited with co-writing the song. Does anyone know how this collaboration happened? Is Maynard friends with someone in the band? Their not even on the same label so this struck me as a strange combination. If anyone knows how this came about, I would sure like to hear it.

Scratch
02-28-2003, 05:14 PM
I'm pretty sure Maynard is friends with Deftones. Don't know how that came to be though.

cradled
02-28-2003, 05:31 PM
I'm guessing Maynard was on there because of Chino Moreno, the singer of the Deftones. The guy has connections.

Hogpile
03-03-2003, 11:26 AM
Well, I figured he must have some connection to someone in the band, otherwise he wouldn't have made an appearance on the song. I'm curious to how that connection came about though. I mean there are some pretty bad ass Deftones songs out there, but that shocked me that Maynard did a song with them.

pacifister
03-03-2003, 12:03 PM
The way I heard it Chino pitched the concept of the song to Maynard and had him write it. He sent it to Chino with a few blanks for him to add his own lyrics.

There was a thread exactly like this on the Socialize forum. What's it doing under AEnima anyway?

Hogpile
03-04-2003, 11:53 AM
I posted this here..........because fuck it, I just did. There is no general Tool information place to post, so I just posted it here because this is my favorite post section. Like I said its probabily old news, but it was new news to me, since I haven't read every post on this site and I haven't seen anything on this subject. By the way, not only did Maynard co-write the song, he sings most of it on the cd, so I seriously doubt the whole fill in the blanks theory. Thanks for the information though it was still interesting.

4th Eye
03-05-2003, 02:05 PM
There's some interviews about Maynard in www.deftonesworld.com/interviews.htm

Check 'em out if you want info.

And that fill in the blanks theory is real according to Chino Moreno (unless he's lying). It's all in the interviews...

Eulogy33
05-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Maynard TOTALLY owns this song.

blindfold_off
05-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Passenger is a kick ass track. I think that Tool and Deftones or rather MJK and Chino have collaberated on other tracks too.

Hodge
05-30-2007, 11:30 PM
i don't think they have

but yep, passenger is an amazing song and white pony was the last good deftones album

blindfold_off
05-31-2007, 09:46 PM
I thought they did something called "Super Genius" together. It's probably bogus though. The info I mean.