PDA

View Full Version : What about

Severance
11-21-2002, 04:04 PM
Danny said himself this song is about L. Ron Hubbart (hubbard? Hubberd?.....yes I am stupid).

Its sound as if its about Jesus....with the "come down from your cross so we can nail the next fool martyr"

But I think Maynard did this to piss people off.
When i first head this soung i was about 12....i first thought it was about some army dude. I don't know were that came from...but now im older and my perspective on things has changed and i can clearly see how this is about Ron and how some could think its about Jesus. I have a friend that thinks its still about Jesus even after Danny said its not.

....oh well

ragna16
11-21-2002, 07:45 PM
Well I like to use it as a motif, and then you can stick anyone who fits the description on the cross, and it's not about anyone in particular.

nate
11-22-2002, 04:37 PM
Don't think so literally and it will amke more since.

EBApocalypse
11-24-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by ragna16
Well I like to use it as a motif, and then you can stick anyone who fits the description on the cross, and it's not about anyone in particular.

I always liked to put that girl that died at Columbine "on the cross" so to speak.. Everyone was making such a big deal out of the fact that she had said that she believed in Jesus and had died for it. Maynard says "You claimed all this time that you would die for me.. Why then are you so surprised when you hear your own eulogy?"
In other words, stop making such a big deal out of something that you said you would've done anyway.. "Come down, get off your fucking cross, we need the fucking space to nail the next fool martyr." I interpret that to mean "stop acting like you're such a fucking saint for doing something that you were supposed to do anyway."

And yes, I realize that this album was made in 96, and the Columbine shootings happened a little bit after the album was released.. But like I said, I always liked to imagine that that's what the song was about.

Severance
11-24-2002, 11:40 AM
i think thats cool. Songs are suppoed to mean different things to everyone...but also have an original meaning.

But the original meaning is only supposed to be for the writer of the song (maynard...tool).

This song doesn't touch me in any special way with a mean...i just think its one kick ass song.

And i have a friend thats a christian like myself....were both tool fans. But he doesn't listen to eulogy or OPiate because he thinks these songs are both about Jesus and are against him.

Well thats one meaning one could perceive this song to be about....but i dont really think about a meaning when i listen to it.....i listen to it for the music alone

Seifer Almasy
11-24-2002, 07:33 PM
I think it could really be about anyone. It could, like stated before, be about that chick from Columbine. But the song also pretty much describes anyone from Kurt Cobain to Hitler who were considered "gods" by the people around them.

Comebackrunning
11-27-2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Severance

And i have a friend thats a christian like myself....were both tool fans. But he doesn't listen to eulogy or OPiate because he thinks these songs are both about Jesus and are against him.

the thing about these songs is, TooL never really insult Jesus or christians, just religios leaders. this is, of course, because of theyre "Think For Yourself, Question Authorouty"
Religios leaders are obviosly in violation of this principle

Jason Sider
12-01-2002, 01:49 PM
My friend is a christian and I never thought he was religous. He loves all the Tool songs but when ever I play Eulogy he gets mad at me and tells me to shut it off. I told him its not about Jessus. But he won't listen to me because Im a Jew, so can someone write it on here so I can show it to him...This sounds stupid but me and him fight over this song.

TIMMY
12-01-2002, 10:25 PM
At first, as I'm sure all or most of you, I thought that it was about Jesus. Then, I listened a bit more. I thought after a while that it might be about Hitler ("get off your fucking cross...."). The Swastika was an Indian symbol that the cross was taken from. If you've ever seen footage of Hitler saying a speech from head-on, the swastika is always behind him, as if he's on it.

Now, in using this same imagery imagine that it is a televangelist who is begging you to send him money and is crying. He's a wolf in lambs clothing. He, too, is standing in front of a cross and saying how "holier than thou" he is when in all actuality he's in it for the almighty dollar.

Now, after listening to it some more, I feel that it might actually be about Jesus again. Go and listen to the song with the pesepective that it is Jesus. Listen to the words. Think of it as someone admiring him. Be a person in, say, Pontius Pilate's shoes. He didn't believe that Jesus was the Christ, but he didn't want him to die anyway. The lyrics express more of a disbelief in Jesus as a martyr than what they do out of disgust for the man/God. I see someone who is in awe of the man, the myth and the legend of Jesus. Now, whether he actually "believes" in Jesus is another story.

Like most TOOL songs of this nature, I don't think that they are speaking of Jesus or God in a bad way. It is, like in Opiate, more of a hate or disgust for the people or religions who rape and dirty the name of God. Many "religious leaders" have done this in the name of God. Simply open up a history book and see that 99% of all wars throughout history have been over religion, to varying degrees.

I suppose that your friend doesn't listen to APC's "Judith" either?

Cracker
12-02-2002, 02:26 AM
My last name is Hubbard, though I'm not a scientologist.

It sounds like its referring to some kind of religious leader, though the reference to the cross does make me lean more towards it being about a christian leader.

In a bootleg I have, Maynard introduces opiate by saying something along the lines of "Have any of you heard of Jesus, Ala, or Bhudda? They had some pretty good ideas, but their agents came along and fucked everything up."

Decided
12-05-2002, 01:11 AM
"Think for yourself; Question Authority"

Something interesting about those words that I always see misinterpreted is that by "question" they mean to deny or say that it is false b/c it is authority. Authority can be and is very often bad, but a certain degree is always necessary. Myself being a disciple of Christ, my questioning of authority led to my conversion to Christianity. Questioning what I believe also strengthens my convictions.