PDA

View Full Version : Johnny the Homocidal Maniac

Useless Idiot
02-27-2003, 02:20 PM
Maybe I'm the only one who has read the comic book "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" by Jhonen Vasquez, but I do sense a hint of JTHM in this video. The strange house, the strange little man, the people in the basement who, at least to me, seem to be held captive and to be suffering. And, like Johnny, the little man in the Sober video seems to be searching for something. Perhaps it is the answer to who he really is. Perhaps he's just looking for a can of spaghetti o's. But the fact is real: he IS looking for something.

I'm not saying that the Sober video is based off a comic book. I'm merely suggesting that maybe the artist of the comic book watched this video one or two or three times and said to himself, "Hey, I wonder how that guy's regular life goes on..."

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go to your local comic book store or Hot Topic (yes, HT sells comic books) and check out "Johnny The Homicidal Maniac." Maybe you'll see the similarities. Hell, maybe you'll prove me wrong, but either way...

Soaky
02-28-2003, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Useless Idiot
[B]Maybe I'm the only one who has read the comic book "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" by Jhonen Vasquez, but I do sense a hint of JTHM in this video. The strange house.....

I do see your connection. I have been a NNY reader for quite a long time. Maybe the little creatures in the video are his other voices, maybe the nail guy could be... hell! nail bunny. and maybe the meat pipe could be the wall creature and maybe the guy with the magnifying machanism could be the doughboys. I am just pulling possibilities out if my ass right now, and you should really take all of this with a grain of salt which is the T00L way afterall. Like all of their videos, I see some things that could symbolize things. But for the most part the band could just be sitting back saying "let's see how people react to this piece of artwork" and not really have a meaning, you know, being f--ked for the sake of f--ked. I mean, Adam Jones is probably one of the most visually motivated persons out there which I can think of. Remember, he did totally random effects for the T2 movie. And what is the significance of the hidden cow behind the Undertow disc tray? I sense you understand. or not. it's late right now.