Are you nobody, too?
Then there ’s a pair of us—don’t tell!
They ’d banish us, you know

How dreary to be somebody! 5
How public, like a frog
To tell your name the livelong day
To an admiring bog! "

That is a poem by Emily Dickinson.

Now think of those drunken idiots who ruin parties. Thats what I get out of the song.

Dedicated_TOOLfan
02-17-2006, 06:43 PM
I am not following you......

Dedicated_TOOLfan
02-17-2006, 06:44 PM
My interpretation of this song is that someone has interfered with something and another was paying enough attetion to make them pay for their mistake....I have a feeling I am wrong though....

tangent
05-02-2006, 08:43 AM
Well it's your opinon, but on a sidenote I love that poem and Dickinson is my favourite actually :D <3

MemphisM
05-22-2006, 01:05 AM
This is interesting. I just finished a semester of American Lit where we discussed Dickinson. When we read this particular piece I thought of this song as well. However, going back, I'm not sure the song and poem really coincide.

I always thought this song was sung from the perspective of a person whom someone else is trying to help. Perhaps a shrink and a patient. The person possibly recognizes just how fucked up he himself is, and is warning whoever to watch out and perhaps fuck off.

Thoughts?

koobcam
06-05-2006, 07:55 AM
I would start another thread but i'll get jabbed... I love this song. It's my fav right now.

T-13h
06-05-2006, 09:01 AM
You really can't go wrong with Dickinson and Tool.

If you get what I'm saying.

Cha
06-28-2006, 03:59 PM
I always took swamp song as someone just being completely ignorant and determined not to change too.