PDA

View Full Version : What happens when a band member starts a new project?

dsk1231
11-05-2005, 02:15 PM
When I hear this song it seems to me as if it is referring to one of more of the TOOL band members being annoyed that Maynard started touring with APC. From what I gather it sort of pissed them off as they were trying to record Lateralus that Maynard was busy with APC. "Transmutate these leaden grudges into gold." Let's make another album, tour, and make more money together. Just something I thought about one time while listening.

scaredsquirrel
12-22-2005, 05:51 AM
I don't think it's that at all.

learntoswim16
12-22-2005, 04:24 PM
The other members have their side projects too.

Unintelligible_Whispering
01-15-2006, 02:05 AM
you do know that maynard writes a lot of the lyrics right? and like learntoswim said, everyone else in the band has some other projects, justin is the only one who doesn't do anything with other bands as far as i know, and i'm not even sure about that one.

Heyou13
01-20-2006, 02:32 PM
as far as i know justin does not have a side project at the moment

Unintelligible_Whispering
01-20-2006, 09:50 PM
just a thought - wasn't maynard doing stuff with apc before lateralus was started anyway?

Heyou13
01-22-2006, 03:03 PM
yeah, Mer de Noms was released in 2000...Lateralus was 2001

hateAliases
02-11-2006, 06:26 PM
lol thats retarded. I honestly cant think of maynard writing a song about "Tool is pissed" damn this song is so fucking more than that. im just too stoned to write it down right now... but ok a short explanation ... no. i cant explain it, feelings are very hard to describe, i think everyone can feel what i mean when passing a certain part of life i also cant describe... you have to feel it to know what i mean and im sure there are alot of people out (or in) here who know what i mean. if not, my deepest condolence - you don t know which golden feelings youre missing.

Bogart
02-12-2006, 11:01 AM
L A M E...I think "The Grudge" has a deeper meaning than that

Dedicated_TOOLfan
02-17-2006, 08:08 PM
I think when a band member starts another project it is probably better for the first band because they can have more time to think on the new album

The Official Fiction
03-15-2006, 04:01 AM

Justin played bass on one song on Isis' Panopticon. Maybe he's featured in the upcoming album aswell?

cold and faded anger
03-15-2006, 04:17 PM

well isnt he in Peach or something like that?...or he was in that before Tool...i dont remember too well

The Official Fiction
03-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Peach is nowadays called Suns of the Tundra

sounds pretty damn good too.

epistomai
04-06-2006, 06:06 AM
L A M E...I think "The Grudge" has a deeper meaning than that

So, what meaning could be? any idea?

seemyshadowchanging
04-06-2006, 11:26 AM
lol thats retarded. I honestly cant think of maynard writing a song about "Tool is pissed" damn this song is so fucking more than that. im just too stoned to write it down right now... but ok a short explanation ... no. i cant explain it, feelings are very hard to describe, i think everyone can feel what i mean when passing a certain part of life i also cant describe... you have to feel it to know what i mean and im sure there are alot of people out (or in) here who know what i mean. if not, my deepest condolence - you don t know which golden feelings youre missing.
i agree. the grudge is not about mjk playing with apc.to me the grudge is about a struggle that goes on with somebody that is too stubborn to let stupid things go.i also completely agree with hates remark about things in your life being a certain age or just maturing enough to realize things you once felt strong about and then realizing,hey that was stupid to think that way i need to just let this go.very cool song very deep and different meanings for many people.

epistomai
04-06-2006, 06:48 PM
I think it could be like Yoda said once (Star wars) Hate drive you to dark side. Something like the law of three times three or the karma law, if you "Hate" then you'll be hated. I mean this from the part of "Wear your grudge like a crown of negativity...". Power is corruption, Frodo did it with his ring =D

Ardhanarishvara
05-02-2006, 05:35 AM
You should buy Peach - Giving Birth to a Stone.

i find justin's vocals really...i don't know, undeveloped and raw, maybe too raw to enjoy. but it could just be me. the original version of you lied is still awesome

dissonance19
05-16-2006, 01:58 AM
I always thought of it as one of his reasons to relate to it or write it was the band. Of course, it's a big problem throughout the world but Maynard has his way of relating to what is going on in his life. I think they were having problems though, maybe not directly through APC, but it's not like it's far fetched though to think this. I'm sure he can connect it multiple ways just like most of his lyrics we all can. It's never just one way either.

AMF
05-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Definitely not the intended meaning of the lyrics, but you can interpret them however you want:)

blackandwhite
05-16-2006, 11:09 AM
When I hear this song it seems to me as if it is referring to one of more of the TOOL band members being annoyed that Maynard started touring with APC. From what I gather it sort of pissed them off as they were trying to record Lateralus that Maynard was busy with APC. "Transmutate these leaden grudges into gold." Let's make another album, tour, and make more money together. Just something I thought about one time while listening.

Negatory.

dissonance19
05-16-2006, 02:24 PM
So, you guys are Maynard then? You know what he writes about? You don't think that it's a deep meaningful problem when you have conflicts in relationships with people who are just great friends? You know he has a social, natural life just like the rest of us in that respect. Who's to say that this isn't about something that was going on with someone in the band or another friend? It can be his way of relating or his example to it as I mentioned but it is a problem throughout the world, so it doesn't take away from anything or it.

I don't think he writes something just to write something. Friendships are meaningful. Not everything can be about a woman or something "more meaningful." Dismissing it because of that makes no sense. And I don't know what you're looking for.

JERUSALEM
05-23-2006, 07:08 PM
its a very happenin song . it is a definite challenge to understand . but a personal challenge ,primarily.

DON IOTAE
05-24-2006, 10:32 AM
its a very happenin song . it is a definite challenge to understand . but a personal challenge ,primarily.
totally agree with you.

have you ever felt a grudge? of course you have. Now, try to let it go... not easy, eh? It's a whole process, and the fears that you face in that process are, at times, overwhelming. So when someone tells you, "just let it go", you can tell them, "it's not that easy", and now you know why.