PDA

View Full Version : Interpretation of H.

ignore-reality
02-24-2003, 10:26 PM
This is my interpretation of the song. I believe H. is Maynards way of recalling and putting to rest his memories of a lover (female). The "snake" I believe is a metaphor for this person (either as a memory or physically).

The lyrics:

But what's singing songs is a snake
Looking to turn this piss to wine.

*this person (maybe only in memory) giving advice/love.

They're both totally void of hate,
But killing me just the same.

*The person and their advice/love in good intention but not helping the situation. Maynard feeling as though he is emotional dead to this person.

The snake behind me hisses
What my damage could have been.
My blood before me begs me
Open up my heart again.

*Other person telling why Maynard must stay with them. A part of Maynard wants to stay and love.

I am too connected to you to
Slip away, to fade away.
Days away I still feel you
Touching me, changing me,
And considerately killing me.

*A very tough emotional situation. Maynard is still touched by this person, even when he is away from them (or just remembering). He can't let go yet.

Without the skin,
Beneath the storm,
Under these tears
The walls came down.

*A breakdown. Finally letting go.

And the snake is drowned and
As I look in his eyes,
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of those times.

*Memory/person is put to rest. Less painful now. No more fear. (The "his" reference to the snake I believe doesn't disprove to me the fact that the person isn't a female or lover. Just a metaphorical reference.)

I could have cried then.
I should have cried then.

And as the walls come down and
As I look in your eyes
My fear begins to fade
Recalling all of the times
I have died
and will die.
It's all right.
I don't mind.

*I see this as Maynard looking in a mirror, looking at himself, in his eyes. The "have died" refers to the loss of the lover. He is possible used to it in a way, the reference to "I don't mind."

The title H. refering to Half Empty or one half of Maynard (this other person) gone. This is certainly a very personal song. However I feel like I can relate in this way to what Maynard is saying. It could be "way off" as he says but it helps give me comfort. Thanks.

Nirvana
02-24-2003, 11:50 PM
so.. its a love song?... i dont agree with you at all i see the song different.. but its a nice idea

):-:(

Mark D
02-25-2003, 09:29 AM
Nice Mark D style interpretation.

Without the skin,
Beneath the storm,
Under these tears
The walls came down.

*A breakdown. Finally letting go.

That is a really good way to look at those lines. I didnt really think of that before.

Skinless: Mark D

ignore-reality
02-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Nirvana
so.. its a love song?... i dont agree with you at all i see the song different.. but its a nice idea

It's not a "love" song in terms of Mayard expressing love. It is a song about hurt and letting go of painful memory. The love was the reason for the hurt.

I don't know. It's just the way I see it because I can relate closely to that theory. The words seem to apply to me on that level.

chaosad
03-07-2003, 04:56 PM
i think the "love song" idea is on the right track. i heard somewhere a while back something about H. being for half-empty, or half-full, whichever way you want to look at it. and thats sort of what ive gone with since then, cause it fits what i think about the rest of the song. A relationship with a person is like the half-empty, half-full glass analogy. when you are in a relationship, you gain so much from that person, but at the same time you make yourself vulnerable to them. its all about finding a balance. a loved one can make you feel so alive, but at the same time, youve given them the power to hurt you more than anyone else can, by giving yourself to them. so it depends on what you think, hence the H. Is the glass half-empty or half-full?

of course i think the lyrics of the song are about a specific person in his life, but who it could be i have no way of even speculating.

Synethesia
03-08-2003, 06:39 PM
Yeah that is a very interesting and convincing interpretation. I think you lose it at times though in the case of the H and of the "I have died, I will Die, that's alright, I don't mind" part.

I always thought of H as the chemical symbol for Hydrogen. That is just always how it came across to me. The snake is obviously a biblical reference, to me. The idea of turning his piss to wine. Like turning the water into wine. So the snake may represent his temptation. In your interpretation that fits in well with the idea of a past lover. She is tempting him with making what is obviously not right feel good again. To "open up my heart again." His blood (body) is begging him to but he knows it's not right.

I think the idea of: I have died is that he has been hurt, he will be hurt again and he has to accept that.

These are all just possible things for you to think about but i think you are on your way. Very good ideas. I'll post a thread of my own later when i have had the time to think more thouroughly on this.

Synethesia
03-08-2003, 07:10 PM
Just because the previous title was Half Empty doesn't mean that "H." necessarily represents that. Perhaps at one time it did but then why is it H "period." This can be interpreted as an abbreviation OR a termination of the idea. As in H and that's all. And maybe he named his son after the song. Maybe his son represents the meaning in some way. After all why would he abbrieviate the title anyway. He didn't think that flowed well? He wanted to confuse us. Probably the latter.

I definitely see the reference to Heroin as possible although the FAQ seems to think otherwise. Think about it, what's coming through [the needle] is alive [has a personality.] What's holding up is a mirror, well you cut horoin on a mirror. The snake represents temptation [addiction] Void of hate [heroin users report feeling contentment and euphoria.] Killing me just the same [Heroin is bad for your health] Bleeds me [The needle in your arm] Drags me down like some sweet gravity [thats a pretty good description of the feeling] My blood begs me [You inject heroin into your blood stream.] The storm [Addiction is a tumultuous path] I will die, I don't mind [slipping back into addiction. The references to drugs are there. So it's definitely possible.

ry.
03-09-2003, 03:00 PM
very interesting intrepretation ingore-reality, but i always saw the song as currently being in love. where the beging of the song is making a choice, like between "dating" and a "relationship".

The snake represents the shadow, it will tell the person what they want to hear, and has a sort of evilness about it.

But the person feels this (love) comming over like a storm again, where as the snake wants to stay shallow and hold the person back from this experience ("believes me leaves me cracked and empty drags me down like some sweet gravity")

Then comes the "I am too.." where the person expresses their love.And the thought (of this expression)is frightening,and consideratly killing him.

"without the skin.......the walls came down" he is opening up

"as the walls come down........i have died, i will die, thats alright" this is where the person decides to express their true feelings, eventhough relationships have hurt in the past, apparently he doesnt mind.

well thats how i interpret the song.

Psylocybe
04-03-2003, 01:43 PM
i like your interpretation