PDA

View Full Version : I know the pieces 'fit'?

ObviousParadox
02-24-2003, 08:47 PM
i was listening to this song and noticed that its not very clear whether he means they fit (past tense, they did but then fell away) or present tense (they still do, even though they fell away) and later when he's grunting "i know the pieces fit" over and over, it sounds like he's stating something that he knows is true despite some sort of...opposition? anyways, what are your thoughts?

seraph
02-24-2003, 09:12 PM
maybe if you read the lyrics again but this time treat them as a testimony to something witnessed by Maynard and the conclusion is that the pieces do fit/relationships can exist in harmony but only if communication is strengthened. If communication is not strengthened, everything crumbles and your wrist will eventually get sore in the months to follow...trust me heheheheh

*throws a jigsaw puzzle into the air and it smashes on the ground*

chaosad
03-07-2003, 05:03 PM
have you ever been in a very serious, long, relationship with someone? if yes, have you ever seen a relationship like that come to an end? you can both be sitting there, wanting the other to reach out and touch you, or tell you they love you, and its all going to be ok. but something just doesnt fit. you know it all fit together at one time, but something has changed. its a very angry feeling that i think is gotten across with the part near the end where he repeats "I know the pieces fit, i know the pieces fit" because thats what you want to do. stand up and yell "I know the pieces fit! so why can't everything just be ok?" its a very angry, frustrating feeling.

holy reality
03-07-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by chaosad
have you ever been in a very serious, long, relationship with someone? if yes, have you ever seen a relationship like that come to an end? you can both be sitting there, wanting the other to reach out and touch you, or tell you they love you, and its all going to be ok. but something just doesnt fit. you know it all fit together at one time, but something has changed. its a very angry feeling that i think is gotten across with the part near the end where he repeats "I know the pieces fit, i know the pieces fit" because thats what you want to do. stand up and yell "I know the pieces fit! so why can't everything just be ok?" its a very angry, frustrating feeling.

Yes, but he seems like he didn't know they fit until they fell away. Which gives me a new thought, awesome! Okay so it's like you have something really good going but don't even realize just how great it is until you watch it all come down before your eyes, and you see all those pieces falling apart and you realize how great everything is you had. "I know the pieces fit, cause I watched them fall away"

Like everything you had just seemed like a whole, like a girlfriend, you just had her because you had her, or because you were lucky. You didn't realize every little thing that you do and how it helped to build up that relationship, you don't realize how precious the pieces are, you don't even see them until they start falling away.

Then like you said about the frustration of knowing that they all fit but you can't put them back together now that they have fallen apart.

Also if you take the meaning of those words but disregard "because i watched them fall away" and assume he always knew they fit, it could be about him trying to force pieces together, to keep something alive that just wasn't meant to be. The pieces might fit together, but they are so distorted and oddly shaped because you are just cramming everything you can together to keep it up.