PDA

View Full Version : Intolerance

suicide.machine
11-21-2002, 01:26 PM
I don't like trying to figure out what the Maynard (or other songwriters) intend the song to mean...I figure it's more important what it means to you than anything else...

So, Intolerance...it reminds me of how I put up with people's shit...I don't want to be there for them to walk all over me, but I still do it...they continually screw me over and I still tolerate it...I guess it's my own problem, but that's the reason this song is one of my favorites on Undertow...

disposition8
11-23-2002, 05:29 PM
I can see that angle definitly, how much do you have to put up with to keep the people around you that you care about. It also makes me wonder what type of shit they put up from me that I don't even know about.

Mark D
12-10-2002, 12:39 PM
putting up with stuff? yeah this seems familiar. i try to be nice to people and they dont understand that i try to be nice to everyone not just them. they cant tolerate me doing this. I posted this to stimulate ideas. Can you truly tolerate everyone?

Reverend Jacob
12-12-2002, 01:10 AM
This song to me represents how we all put on the face we want to people to see. I know as well as you do that pretty much every thought we have is selfish. Everybody knows this. It's pretty close to a universal truth of being human, something people devote their lives to overcoming.

And yet we try to seem like we do things for the good of others. And I'm sure alot of the reason we do things for people we care for is that we care for them. But then alot of the reason is also that we don't trust them to know we care unless we do things for them. In effect, we do things for people because we want them to believe we care. Not that we always do, but what can it hurt if they think we do?

And at the same time, we don't trust people to love us because we feel unworthy. We know that we are flawed, you and I. And we think, 'how can someone so good love someone as crappy as me?' We don't realize that they are crappy, flawed people in their own right. We don't believe that they could be as unworthy of love as we are, or as worthy. Because we are worthy of love, you and I.

And when we do realize, we tend to either love them more truly, or despise them for being as weak and crappy as we are.

How can I tolerate you when I can't tolerate me?

Undertolerance
12-13-2002, 11:17 AM
This song holds great meaning for myself, because I feel that what the song is saying is so true. It is really saying alot about how we want to trust other people but we really cannot trust ourselves. I mean just read the opening lyrics and you will see what I saying. It also speaks of how pretty much everyone masks their true intentions and feelings. Even though it seems so easy to tell them, it even easier to hide them behind a facade. This is so important to me because I like think that I am a tolerant person, but sometimes I do fall into intolerance. Cause I wanna have faith to put away the dagger, but they lie, cheat, and steal. Wise words, from a wise man, heed them well.

neveragain
12-13-2002, 12:03 PM
Hopefully, ya'll wont get the wrong idea about me, but this song is important to me. I'm a tolerant person, but not to those portrayed in this song, which I beleive are the types depicted by Maynard as those who lie, cheat, and steel. I think the saying comes from Maynards military days. It read sonmething like "I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do". I tell you what I try to be a descent human being, and I've been lied to cheated on and stolen from to the tune of something thats so horrible I won't go into detail, it has scarred me deeply, it has most certainly changed me. Life becomes severly complicated by people who lie, cheat and steal. I no longer tolerate these people, because they aren't worth anything to me. I don't have any friends because they turned out to be liars, cheaters, and theives, no big deal, though, I have a significant other who has been through similar b.s., were happy listening to TOOL, and trying to grow spiritually, and mentally. The liars, cheaters and theives will never experience these things, because they're shallow to resort to their type of behavior. I will not tolerate any of them.

fortysixandtwo
01-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Yea, I agree with most everyone here. I always liked this song because I felt like it applied to me almost directly.

I deal with a lot of people i would rather not deal with at all. But i go along with it, and im generaly a nice person. But with the ones I wish would not talk to me and just go away, i always start to hear intolerance play in my head...heh.

I view it as a song about having to deal with shitty people and just going along with it, and generaly being nice to people who dont deserve it.

Sometimes I wonder how I tolerate them at all.

munkyman
01-16-2003, 07:21 PM
You'll prolly see me as a bastard, but the way I see it, you've got one shot in life, don't waste it tryin to please everyone else. Do for yourself, if that requires you to lie, cheat or steal, so be it. Everyone else has the same right to achieve the most out of life. I follow this theory pretty well, and there are people that I am very good to. These people know my opinions about life, so they know for sure that I care about them. Why bother lying... it's not worth it. It's a little off topic, I know, and a little non-Toolish, but that's how I feel.

The Umbrello
01-20-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by suicide.machine
I don't like trying to figure out what the Maynard (or other songwriters) intend the song to mean...I figure it's more important what it means to you than anything else...

So, Intolerance...it reminds me of how I put up with people's shit...I don't want to be there for them to walk all over me, but I still do it...they continually screw me over and I still tolerate it...I guess it's my own problem, but that's the reason this song is one of my favorites on Undertow...
I agree. Everyone's always so concerned about what the original message is. I don't think you'll ever know, unless Maynard himself tells you. Don't focus on what he meant to say, focus on how it makes you feel.

useful_idiot
01-20-2003, 06:58 PM
all i really gotta say is what teenager hasnt lied cheaten and stolen? its human nature to mess up, so why are pressured into trying to be perfect?

just an idea

Sora
02-17-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Mark D
Can you truly tolerate everyone?

I think that a lot of people get tolerance confused with acceptance. To me tolerance is just being able top go about my life without having an outside force bother me or get the best of me, rather than accepting it. So, yes I do think that you can tolerate everytone, but you don't have to accept anyone.

Keep that in mind at all times, thank you...