PDA

View Full Version : life.... liberty...... so, why the pursuit?

Sagacious Foetu
02-24-2003, 06:49 PM
ever think about why the line in the constitution reads "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness"?

i mean, if we have life, and we have liberty..... why is there still a need to pursue happiness?

any thoughts?

xBILLYx

euthanasia
02-24-2003, 07:02 PM
Simply because life and liberty do not necessary means happiness...
It is pretty clear...

Sagacious Foetu
02-24-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by euthanasia
Simply because life and liberty do not necessary means happiness...
It is pretty clear...
actually, it's not... not to me, anyway... could you elaborate a bit please?

xBILLYx

MahdHatre
02-24-2003, 09:23 PM
that line in the constitution is bullshit. happiness for me would be being surrounded by a dozen beautiful women with clit piercings and a lifetime supply of herion (for all 13 of us).
*stares into the void of dreams*
guess i'll just have to settle for air duster

Thrakandor
02-26-2003, 02:57 AM
First comes liberty. Only with that are you in control of your own life... only then can your life be acknowledged as yours. And that is the key to happiness.

Or maybe it just sounded good :-D

But liberty is nothing if you don't use it.

MahdHatre
02-27-2003, 10:32 AM
all things that come from the ground, ie:plants, food, drugs; should be free. it just makes sense. think about whose descision it was to start our fucked up economy. the pilgrims I think, who raped the original inhabitants of this country lets not forget. this country has always been about taking from the weak.i would much rather be sittin around smokin some peyote/hash mix while sweat lodgin. our greediness is going to kill us.

Khozraschot
02-27-2003, 03:07 PM
I believe John Locke named the three rights of man as "Life, Liberty, and Property."

"The pursuit of happiness" was just a romantic substitute for "property."

I agree that adding a right to the pursuit of happiness is a bit redundant, since the rights of life and liberty eliminate the most glaring obstacles to the pursuit of happiness. Happiness is the ultimate goal of all human beings, so simply saying it is really saying nothing.