PDA

View Full Version : MAynard s commentary off of a bootleg

undrtow17
11-21-2002, 12:21 PM
I own a tool show from december of 1996, right after AEinma had been released . MAynard, the child that he is, relates the song to cartoons.
paraphrase " any of you ever watch those warner brothers cartoons?.....There is the scene where the guy has a devil on one shoulder and an Angel on the other. Its usually pretty obvious right? the angel is going to give him the good advice and the devil is going to try to get him to do whats going to be bad for him.
But sometimes its not that simple, sometimes instead of Angels and Devils they're just friends giving you advice urging you to do what they see as good advice, but not actually seeing what is going to be best for you in the long run. so it sorta comes down to you, you have to make the desicion. this song is called H."
another note, Maynards birth name was James H Keenan. Hence the figure between 2 characters
happy trials
emotional or otherwise
love-Jordan

hateandvaseline
11-28-2002, 02:03 PM
It's off of the Third Leg bootleg, I own it. His exact words are:

"Have you ever seen those Warner Brother cartoons where the guy is having a difficult time making a decision? He'll have an Angel on one shoulder, while he has a Devil on the other. It seems pretty obvious; usually the angel is giving him the good advice, while the Devil is trying to get him to do what's going to be bad for him…Sometimes they aren't Angels or Devils, but nevertheless 'friends' looking out for your best interests, but not really knowing what is going to be better for you…So in the end it kind of comes down to you to make your own choices and decisions; this song is called H."

Start there.

You're welcome.

Chris_Brightwell
11-28-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by hateandvaseline
It's off of the Third Leg bootleg, I own it.

Then you should know that Tool didn't play a show on 12.12.1996. That recording is from their 11.23.1996 performance at The Electric Factory in Philadelphia, PA.

Thanks.
Chris Brightwell // moderator

hateandvaseline
11-29-2002, 06:48 AM
Mine says it was recorded in Houston, Texas on 12/12/96. At the end, Maynard says he's been sick, that's before Aenema. He also changes the lyrics to Aenema from-
"...This hopeless fucking hole we call New York."

++Just seeing if I'm thinking of the same bootleg as everyone else.

Chris_Brightwell
11-29-2002, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by hateandvaseline
Mine says it was recorded in Houston, Texas on 12/12/96. At the end, Maynard says he's been sick, that's before Aenema. He also changes the lyrics to Aenema from-
"...This hopeless fucking hole we call New York."

++Just seeing if I'm thinking of the same bootleg as everyone else. Tool didn't play a show on 12.12.1996. That recording is from their 11.23.1996 performance at The Electric Factory in Philadelphia, PA.

Thanks.
Chris Brightwell // moderator

Pushit16
11-29-2002, 08:59 PM
I've also heard him say 'You've ever been in a situation where you had a decision to make...and friends are trying to help...and neither one really knows what is best for you? And they're both pulling at you in different directions...This song is about that.'

Not an exact quote, but that's the idea.

hateandvaseline
11-30-2002, 09:00 AM
He might have said it throughout that entire tour, you know Maynard. How he says 'I want you to to take this feeling home with you and do something positive with it' or whatever. He's said that throughout this entire tour. You'd think someone like Maynard could be a little more original and say something different, but hey.