PDA

View Full Version : The Point at Which Water is Densest.

AloneOnceAgain97
10-03-2005, 06:12 PM
As most of you know, as an object gets cooler, its particles lose kenetic energy and slow down, causing it to become more and more dense. The same goes for water up until 4 degrees Celsius, the point at which it reaches its maximum density. Ice, obviously, is less dense than water, so it floats; this is a rare characteristic of water (due to hydrogen bonds, but that's another story).

Perhaps this song is about our intellectual capacity? We are "less dense" (as far as intelligence goes, not ego), so we should become "4 degrees warmer" and reach our full potential.

Discuss.

Kaliwraith
10-22-2005, 07:54 PM
well, i think that's a very interesting connection you've made there. it all kind of fits together. nice metaphor.

spooky
10-24-2005, 02:06 PM
We aren't water.

Unl1v3d
10-26-2005, 04:40 AM
We aren't water.
80% we are (more less)
Stiil water frezees at 0º, not 4º.But it's an interesting theory, and more complex than "Inside your ass is 4º degress hotter than the ass hole".But you know, maybe Maynard just wanted to write a song about convencing someone to take it in the ass.
The insults are pointless i think, we should respect each other and opinion. I think the whole ideia "think by yourself" is not to be read like "think like you want and then force others to think like you".
Moral issue=P

AloneOnceAgain97
10-27-2005, 03:28 AM
80% we are (more less)
Stiil water frezees at 0º, not 4º.Nonono. Water becomes more and more dense as it gets colder (like most other materials... i.e. gas->liquid->solid), up until 4 degrees. At this point the rigid hydrogen bonds that hold its molecules together cause the molecules to become less dense, forming a crystalline lattice. This is what allows the solid form of water to float on its liquid form (something that could not be done with, say, iron or copper).

Chris_Brightwell
10-27-2005, 06:52 AM
80% we are (more less)I think that number is closer to 60%, but the idea here is still pretty interesting.