PDA

View Full Version : Phones

bentTOOL23
10-03-2005, 09:21 AM
I was thinkin last night, maybe this song is about a relationship over the phone that hasnt extended anywhere else and now he...keeps...digging until he feels something, yada yada yada..

a new idea to ponder.

also- in the video, theres 'phone-use' that could support my theory...

marshall888
10-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Uh... I doubt it.
Maybe if you could show me how the lyrics support that I would be more inclined to accept that.

I think this song is one of the easiest of Tool's songs to interpret. (if any of tool's songs were ever easy to interpret)

I think that Stinkfist uses the metaphor of to represent the extremes people take to entertain themselves and/or escape from reality.

"Something has to change.
Undeniable dilemma.
Boredom's not a burden anyone should bear."

These extremes could be anything from drgs to watching tv. They all share the common trait of people building up tolerance to them.

"Constant over stimulation numbs me"

They are addictive, and people take these addctions to greater and greater lengths until they're numb to anything that isn't extreme or outragous.

"Just not enough. I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I said, I don't want it. I just need it.
To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive."

The last bit of the song summarizes it all:

"Something kinda sad about,
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?"

People can't appreciate anything simple anymore. People in our society are always rushing about, completely numb to anything in their everyday lives and only really feeling anything when they're high, watching some dramatic film/tv, etc.

That's just what I think it's mostly about. As with any Tool song, there's always more to it.

Oh, and I think the phone use in the video probably represents communication. Maybe the video interpretation forum might say more about it.

Noach
10-06-2005, 12:08 PM
I always thought the song was about palpating a cow

bentTOOL23
10-06-2005, 04:22 PM
no man, i'm jus saying it fits as a possibilty.

the essentially, is about being over-stimualated to the point where you just have to fist to feel...anything...

now say you're over stimulated by a girl or w/e yur into and u start callin her and shit and it doesn't move on for a while.

so...

'something has to change, undeniable dilemma, this boredoms not a burden anyone should bear...'

she just keeps calling, you keep wanting to be alone with her so bad...

'constant over-stimulation numbs me, and i wouldn't have it any other way....'

you like her that much. you can't hang up, and you don't want her to change, you just want it to...grow, evolve...

''it's not enough, i need more, nothing seems to satisfy, as in- i don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know im alive...."

and going with these feelings, starts getting you somewhere:

"finger deep within the borderline..."

so u finally tell her:

"Show me that you love me and that we belong together...relax, turn around, and take my hand...'

Thinking about u and her together is an amazing thought to you, now you try to persuade her into getting together-

'(give me a chance), i can help you change tired moments into pleasure, just say the word and we'll be well upon our way...'

You tell her what's so special about her, why you need it

'There's blend and balance, pain and comfort, deep within you'

and ill keep contacting that part of you...

'..until you will not want me anyother way...'

Still nothing

'it's not enough, i need more. Nothing seems to satisfy, as in- i don't want it, i just need it, to breathe, to feel, to know i'm alive'

and you're still getting deeper

'knuckle deep within the borderline...'

and so you comfort her

'this may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to...relax. turn around. slip away...'

To summarize how you feel about the relationship still not completely expanding:

'Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be
desensitized to everything
what became of subtlety?'

How can it mean anything to me? If i really don't feel anything at all...
I'll keep digging, until i feel something...'

and now you're in the door-

'elbow deep inside the borderline, show me that you love me and that we belong to together...'

deeper inside-

'shoulder deep inside the borderline, relax. turn around and take my hand...'

bentTOOL23
10-06-2005, 04:23 PM
i read your interpretation after i wrote mine so i could compare em n shit....

i dig yours

marshall888
10-06-2005, 07:52 PM
I dig mine, too

Your interpretation makes a lot more sense now, though. I can definately see how you can relate the song to a situation like that. I doubt that it's what maynard had in mind (but who knows?), but I can see how it can be applied.