PDA

View Full Version : zeppelin or tool?

lateralus freak
10-01-2005, 03:46 AM
Who here has heard the original no quarter?
whoever has, which 1 do you think is better ? i think the tool 1 kicks ass, but the original has its moments.

docder
10-01-2005, 08:47 AM
Who here has heard the original no quarter?
whoever has, which 1 do you think is better ? i think the tool 1 kicks ass, but the original has its moments.

You can't fuck with either version in my mind. BUT, IMO, a cover is done out of utter respect for the song and/or band...so obviously Tool or certain members loved the original.

Ashes-TO-Ashes
10-02-2005, 05:31 PM
I think they took an already great song and modernized it. I like it better.

genetictx
10-03-2005, 06:16 AM
I would actually say that this is my favorite song of all time.

killershears
10-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Tool's version kicks the Zeppelin version's ass, but you have to realize that the Tool version wouldn't exist without the Zeppelin one.

I want to hear more LZ covers by Tool.

SmallWangedMan
10-03-2005, 10:37 AM
The tool version is very good. The original is great.

rochey-o
10-04-2005, 05:35 PM
i like the tool one better.

lateralus freak
10-07-2005, 12:13 AM
The Tool version is louder and harder to play on guitar, and thats all it is, and thats why people love it, because the original just wasn't heavy enough. But do you think that the original wasn't very heavy for a reason?

Windir
10-07-2005, 02:28 AM
The Zeppelin version of course. No discussion possible.

lateralus freak
10-07-2005, 04:49 PM
OK I made up my mind. Tool did a great job but the original takes the cake, definitely.

killershears
10-22-2005, 06:37 AM
The original one sounds like a fucking tape recorder. And I hate Robert Plant's voice a lot...and I hate John Bonham's drumming a lot. Led Zeppelin made music to inspire bands of the future that will be better than them...Like Tool...And Tool kicked Zeppelin's ass at their own song.

SmallWangedMan
10-22-2005, 06:55 AM
The original one sounds like a fucking tape recorder. And I hate Robert Plant's voice a lot...and I hate John Bonham's drumming a lot. Led Zeppelin made music to inspire bands of the future that will be better than them...Like Tool...And Tool kicked Zeppelin's ass at their own song.

Oh shits!

docder
10-22-2005, 08:07 AM

These opinions are better left to yourself...;)

MentalSanityOff
10-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Both versions showcase the band's style. Zeppelin's No Quarter is just a very chill, eerie song, very suiting to the band's style. Tool's No Quarter consists of the intense build-up throughout a very long song, making you want it to break out more and more until it finally explodes at the end, a very toolish thing, especially on lateralus. To ask which is better is to ask which band's style you prefer.
The Zepellin version is great, and a very chill song, but to take an already great song, completely reinvent it with a totally different style, and to do a kickass job of it, takes balls. Most of the time, the Tool version does it for me.

Shaz
10-22-2005, 08:44 PM
Just wondering if theres any Websites with No quarter by tool uploaded and available for download. music sharing programs took a shvit for me awhile ago.

thanks for your help
peace

NoQuarter
10-30-2005, 12:00 AM
I love both versions, but Tool's version is my favorite song of all time. The atmosphere/depth/dynamics of the song are just so immense; I love it.

It's one of those songs that I overlooked at first after buying Salival, but it grew on me rapidly.

It feels awkward saying that my favorite song is a cover, but I can't deny what I like. Some bands should stay far away from cover songs, but Tool took this one and made it their own.