PDA

View Full Version : BDO 06 bands announced Oct 5th

fraz
09-25-2005, 06:04 PM
We should know on October 5th whether the rumoured Tool big day out appearance is true. If they are playing big day out, the organisers better give them at least 90 minutes of playing time. An measly hour of tool would be unfulfilling.

TTM
09-25-2005, 06:08 PM
but it would be the best 90min of your whole life

Spongebob
09-25-2005, 06:27 PM
fuck i hope they dont play the BDO.

fraz
09-25-2005, 07:37 PM
fuck i hope they dont play the BDO.

i agree - too short a set, too many dickheads ruining the experience, and too far away from the stage,

mattw
09-25-2005, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about how long Tool play for, that is of course if they actually are going to be there etc. I hope that they headline the Big Day Out, only because i would love to see them play live again. Also, if they do come, i'll probably go to more than one BDO show, and hopefully Tool will put on their own shows somewhere inbetween... which i'll also try to get to....

As for how long they play for, the headline act can play for two hours if they want. When Metallica played at the 2004 BDO, The Strokes finished at about 8:30pm, and Metallica came on at 9pm, played 16 songs and finished just after 11pm. So my only concern would be if Tool didn't headline the festival, in that they would only get to play for about an hour.

Maybe Blair will say something about in the newsletter because the BDO website has it's first announcement, as has been said, on Oct 5th. Surely he would mention something soon if it were true.

I've got my fingers crossed...

Spongebob
09-25-2005, 08:24 PM
yeah, not to mention all the aweome stuff yo uwould get at proper concert.

cheaper ticket, longer show, better lights and background stuff, better sound quality.

and yeah, as you pointed out, too many dickheads ruining the experience and too far away from stage.

i think its safe to say they wont be doing BDO, they are wayyy to huge to do the BDO, they have a massive fanbase in aus and nz, and they have no need to limit their music by playing at the lamest festival ever.

i dont think they will be touring till around april, may, june. so to play a festival in NZ and AUS in january would be pretty mad.

Spongebob
09-25-2005, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't be too worried about how long Tool play for, that is of course if they actually are going to be there etc. I hope that they headline the Big Day Out, only because i would love to see them play live again. Also, if they do come, i'll probably go to more than one BDO show, and hopefully Tool will put on their own shows somewhere inbetween... which i'll also try to get to....

As for how long they play for, the headline act can play for two hours if they want. When Metallica played at the 2004 BDO, The Strokes finished at about 8:30pm, and Metallica came on at 9pm, played 16 songs and finished just after 11pm. So my only concern would be if Tool didn't headline the festival, in that they would only get to play for about an hour.

Maybe Blair will say something about in the newsletter because the BDO website has it's first announcement, as has been said, on Oct 5th. Surely he would mention something soon if it were true.

I've got my fingers crossed...

i've got my fingers crossed they dont play at the BDO.

48&2
09-25-2005, 09:08 PM
I would cry if they were playing at the big day out. I could just see myself standing at the back of a 100,000 people crowd, trying to push through the meatheads wearing metallica shirts...

mattw
09-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Maybe we are taking this potential opportunity for granted. Sure, if it were up to me, i'd rather see Tool play their own shows in New Zealand and Australia. If it were really up to me, i'd have them play a show in my backyard. But seriously, if you had to choose between seeing Tool play only at the BDO or not seeing them at all, i know what i would choose. Maybe i could understand if we all lived in L.A. etc. and we had several more chances of seeing them, but they might be playing a festival in our country which is on the other side of the world to them. That in itself is pretty special. I just think that if this BDO rumour is true, then Australian and New Zealand Tool fans should consider themselves to be very lucky. I'm sure there would be many jealous fans in the U.S., Europe and everywhere else around the world (sorry for not listing all of your homelands...) if we were the first ones to see Tool play their new material live etc.

I'm looking on the bright side. Sure, the BDO can suck sometimes, but if Tool are there so be it! I hope they come sometime soon, whether it be through a festival or by themselves on their own tour etc. I hope you all get to see them too...

xosfear
09-25-2005, 10:03 PM
if they do the big day out tour i wouldnt be too pissed... most bands do single shows alongside the big day out... 2 chances to see tool live, i'm up for that.

and i agree, theres always too many dickheads at bdo

Spongebob
09-25-2005, 10:09 PM
mattw, looking at it that way is silly because tool will defiently come to both australia and new zealand if they tour again.

sure if i had to choose between seeing them at the BDO or not seeing them at all, i would choose BDO, but theres like a 99% chance of them touring NZ and australia next year if they start touring in april, may, june period. so forget the big day out, it wont happen and it doesnt need to happen since tool will come here anyway.

mattw
09-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Cool, Spongebob, i can agree. I know they will come here eventually by themselves although i was just pointing out the crappy possibility of them only coming here and in your case, NZ, for the Big Day Out. Some bands only come for the festival and nothing else. I wouldn't expect this of Tool but it can happen.

Also, Tool have been very friendly to us in the past - they played many different shows last time at venues/cities that don't usually get the bigger bands. Most bands play, at least in Australia, Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and then disappear. Last time though, Tool also played at Newcastle, Wollongong, Canberra, Adelaide and Perth which in my opinion is pretty awesome! They should play at least 3 shows in NZ too.

We will just have to wait and see...

ARMZ
09-25-2005, 10:35 PM
They're too big for the BDO, who wants to sit in the fucking sun anyway with a bunch of soad heads, no not me not I.

48&2
09-25-2005, 10:52 PM
if they do the big day out tour i wouldnt be too pissed... most bands do single shows alongside the big day out... 2 chances to see tool live, i'm up for that.

and i agree, theres always too many dickheads at bdo

But the thing is that they are binded under contract to do only specific sideshows in regions that aren't near any of the BDO festivals. That means that Tool would not be allowed to play shows in the Sydney or Gold Coast region...

fraz
09-25-2005, 11:29 PM
But the thing is that they are binded under contract to do only specific sideshows in regions that aren't near any of the BDO festivals. That means that Tool would not be allowed to play shows in the Sydney or Gold Coast region...

Where did you find that out?

xosfear
09-26-2005, 05:07 PM

Where did you find that out?

and how come half the bands last year did gig's along side the bdo here in sydney. i remember soad, chemical brothers and a few others doing gigs here at the same time. drum media did a huge write up on it.

TheNothingSong
09-27-2005, 12:48 AM
hey spongebob, on the two lateralus tours did they play wellington?

Spongebob
09-27-2005, 01:27 AM
they played 2001 but i think they skipped wellington in 2002 because in the 2001 concert in wellington someone threw a bottle at maynard.

thats what i heard anyway.

but i think you can almost gaurantee they will play christchurch, wellington, auckland (in that order), jeez maybe even more.

48&2
09-27-2005, 01:40 AM
and how come half the bands last year did gig's along side the bdo here in sydney. i remember soad, chemical brothers and a few others doing gigs here at the same time. drum media did a huge write up on it.

It happened with splendour in the grass thats all, maybe they would be allowed to play shows in Syd because of the large population...

Perseensilmä
09-27-2005, 01:50 AM
They're too big for the BDO, who wants to sit in the fucking sun anyway with a bunch of soad heads, no not me not I.

If that was possible in January I would definitely do it. Sadly it's winter here then and I will just have to ski as fast as I can and hopefully the polar bears won't catch me.

I think festivals are cool but I hope that if Tool plays a festival here, they would play a longer gig than last time.

TheNothingSong
09-27-2005, 02:59 AM
they played 2001 but i think they skipped wellington in 2002 because in the 2001 concert in wellington someone threw a bottle at maynard.

thats what i heard anyway.

but i think you can almost gaurantee they will play christchurch, wellington, auckland (in that order), jeez maybe even more.

holy crap. that would be awesome to follow them around more than 3 towns.

often tho, BDO will say that someones coming and then they will pull out. i wonder if they give out refunds for that shit.. that happened with APC a couple of years ago, but they ended up coming around the same time and playing chch and wellington as well. did u see them in chch?

Spongebob
09-27-2005, 04:18 PM
i saw them in chch yeah, i was really impressed.

met billy before the show.

placidium
09-27-2005, 06:29 PM
something's happening...floor shakes...

TheNothingSong
09-27-2005, 11:39 PM
man where did you meet him? some other guys i know said they saw him in a clothes shop or something. both the albums sounded so much better live because they were so heavy and loud.. it was wicked. bit of a wait before the show tho..

Spongebob
09-28-2005, 01:19 AM
yeah i met him near the hotel next to the venue, he was with his girlfriend, you know how maynard said: billy proposed to his girlfriend today, dont worry... she said no!

well yeah, i reckon billy would of just proposed before i met him. just said gday and thanks for coming down to play for us, asked if hes enjoying himself here in NZ.
he singed some other peoples stuff. he looks realy pale and fragile in real life, well he did at the time.

Grudge76
10-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Well the first wave of bands is in

Stripes and Volta

No Tool

yet?

Goldfoot
10-04-2005, 08:54 AM
Well the first wave of bands is in

Stripes and Volta

No Tool

yet?

So why post???????

johnnyTrip
10-04-2005, 09:19 AM
i just dont get how you guys complain over them coming to your area....regardless its a festival or not...obviously if they do the festival they will come back for their own tour....i dont understand is all cuz i been tossing around the idea of flying from the states to follow this BDO fest....sounds like a blast to me

maybe im mistaken....

SpiralOutKeepGoing
10-04-2005, 12:56 PM
The bands that they have listed as of this very moment are The White Stripes, Iggy and the Stooges, Franz Ferdinand, Kings of Leon, The Mars Volta, AFI, Sleater-Kinney, The Magic Numbers, Soulwax, 2MandyDJs, The Living End, Gerling, Dei Hamo, Magic Dirt, Cut Copy, End of Fashion, Faker, The Grates, Youthgroup, Wolf & Cub. Thats the entire list as of their first announcement. No Tool yet.

Spongebob
10-04-2005, 01:21 PM
shit the mars volta! might have to go.

it will cost me like $300 all up to get there and pay for ticket.

ill think about it if some more good bands are in the lineup, and if tmv dont just play 40 minutes in the day.

Sleep
10-04-2005, 03:22 PM
I hate the BDO. I'm going to buy tickets anyway and put them up on Ebay a week before the show though just because people who support this crap should be punished.

Tertius Oculum
10-04-2005, 03:31 PM
1 more day.

johnnyTrip
10-04-2005, 04:04 PM
hey i like afi

http://www.afireinside.net

seen them a couple times, they always blow away the bands they play with....

ATARI
10-04-2005, 05:23 PM
AFI would be okay if they just dropped their vocalist

johnnyTrip
10-04-2005, 05:37 PM
AFI would be okay if they just dropped their vocalist

some reason i like his singing and the back ups.....just different i guess......

48&2
10-04-2005, 08:57 PM
Thats awesome, I saw AFI a couple of years ago and they kicked my ass... Tickets go on sale Monday, I'm there...

one_mind
10-05-2005, 01:18 PM
so i went on over to the BDO website today and looked at the bands playing, tool is not one of them but there is a message saying stay tuned for another announcement

"Stay tuned for our next announcement, when we’ll reveal the latest editions to the BDO party guestlist…"

so who knows but it looks to me they are not gonna be there

Fake album??? wtf think this is true or just means double disc, the new cd has to be a double disc lateralus pushed the limits of a regular cd, and i doubt they will record on a different format.... hmm who knows i guess

ATARI
10-05-2005, 01:28 PM
there already is another topic on this

although I don't see why people are angry that they are playing there. It may not be a full concert, but it would still be cool to see

one_mind
10-05-2005, 02:40 PM
so i went on over to the BDO website today and looked at the bands playing, tool is not one of them but there is a message saying stay tuned for another announcement

"Stay tuned for our next announcement, when we’ll reveal the latest editions to the BDO party guestlist…"

so who knows but it looks to me they are not gonna be there

Fake album??? wtf think this is true or just means double disc, the new cd has to be a double disc lateralus pushed the limits of a regular cd, and i doubt they will record on a different format.... hmm who knows i guess

MasterOfKtulu109
10-05-2005, 02:53 PM
no they did not spend a year making a fake album

stop taking everything so seriously. you can see why blair loves messing with the fans....they will believe ANYTHING he says, even something as ridiculous as a fake album

pushtheenvelope
10-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Howdy,

Just checked the date of my last post and it's been a year. Shizzle. Couldn't resist having a yarn about this BDO rumour though.

Surely you'd think that the info is reasonably credible, otherwise it genuinely wouldn't be posted on the intial news page. At least general speculation isn't usually. Bloody early april fools gag if it's bullshit though.

I can see both sides of the story in regards to seeing the band at a big festival. I recall offshore quite well, and that went down a treat. Clearly not as big a turnout as the Showgrounds (or Princes Park?? Not sure how that one would turn out), but still intimate enough. The fact that we haven't seen the boys for so fucking long is reason enough for me to be there seeing them. Not sure how I'd plan the day, but I know it would work out. And now that the Mars Volta have well and truly emerged, what an unbelievable day it would be.

Two years away and to be greeted by Tool when I arrive home.............

WE should be so lucky.

Adam.

TheInsideSource
10-16-2005, 12:18 AM
No No NO... I don't want Tool touring BEFORE the album release, I hate it when bands do that, NIN did it in March, I saw them twice before "With Teeth" and it kinda ruined the experience for me... Now if Tool just tour, say part's of USA before the album, obviously I can avoid the bootlegs but even then it ruins the mystery of the album and people will be disappointed that what they hear on the CD doesn't sound like what they heard live.

48&2
10-16-2005, 01:04 AM
I bought BDO tickets, anyone else going?

Akasha
10-16-2005, 01:46 AM
Line-up so far.

Entire Tour:

The White Stripes
Iggy & The Stooges
Franz Ferdinand
Kings of Leon
The Mars Volta
Soulwax
AFI
2 Many DJs
Sleater-Kinney
The Magic Numbers
The Living End
Gerling
Dei Hamo

Limited Tour:

Magic Dirt (Aust only)
Cut Copy (Aust only)
End of Fashion (Aust only)
Faker (Aust only)
The Grates (Aust only)
Youth Group (Aust only)
Wolf & Cub (Aust only)
Fat Freddy's Drop (NZ only)
Elemeno P (NZ Only)
The Bleeders (NZ Only)
Che Fu and the Krates (NZ only)
Pluto (NZ only)
Frontline (NZ only)
The Brunettes (NZ only)

Looks shit to me. Dunno why the fuk ud pay $110 for that kinda line-up.

48&2
10-16-2005, 02:52 AM
Looks shit to me. Dunno why the fuk ud pay $110 for that kinda line-up.
Maybe because the whole day is so much fucking fun that what bands play doesn't even matter...

TheNothingSong
10-16-2005, 04:09 AM
yeah, i wouldnt pay 110 just for the mars volta

johnnyTrip
10-16-2005, 05:24 AM
Maybe because the whole day is so much fucking fun that what bands play doesn't even matter...

yeah thats wut festivals are all about....

Akasha
10-16-2005, 06:20 PM
the whole day is so much fucking fun that what bands play doesn't even matter...

lol, thats actually what ive been thinking is gonna end up forcing me to go. I hope they set it up better here in perth, this years bdo was a fuken disaster at the boiler room. Ended up having to threaten the crowd with riot police at one point.

Misanthrope
10-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Oh my god what a shitty lineup. Not one good band. Usually they at least manage two or three. Maybe they're saving them all for the next announcement.

Akasha
10-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Oh my god what a shitty lineup. Not one good band. Usually they at least manage two or three. Maybe they're saving them all for the next announcement.

Thats what im really hoping for, they need a HEADNLINER.

Spongebob
10-16-2005, 08:22 PM
yeah, i wouldnt pay 110 just for the mars volta

i would.

Tyson
10-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Maybe $110.00 NZ dollars, I can't even catch the bus with that.