PDA

View Full Version : To me, there's absolutely no doubt...

sianspheric
02-22-2003, 10:51 AM
that Third Eye, the Salival Live version...
is the best piece of music of Tool's career.

There are no real adjectives that are appropriate enough to describe how ridiculously, disgustingly amazing this song is...on every concievable level.

Anyone agree?

Nirvana
02-23-2003, 01:57 AM
i do... well 90%

sianspheric
02-23-2003, 03:46 AM
I feel the exact same way about the Pushit version of Salival.

I feel pretty confident in saying those are my 2 favorite songs by any band...ever. It's been that way since I got Salival. I fall in love with other songs obviously, but Pushit and Salival just fucking sit atop Mount Brilliance and nothing can touch them.

(that sounded so stupid)

=)

dork
02-28-2003, 07:33 PM
man that might be my favorite quote ever. They sit atop mounnt brilliance, shit im gonna start using that alot , lameness is fun

Vile1011
03-17-2003, 09:42 AM
Third Eye steals the lunch money of just about every other song, except maybe Salival Pushit.

In contrast to "Easy Listening Music", I like to call this song "Difficult Listening Music". If you treat it like a normal rock song, 3E actually isn't that good. In fact it's ugly.

But there's something deeper at work here. As far as I'm concerned, the true part of this song is the second "So good to see you" part. Everything else is simply a carrier, built to make that part sound better. Every element of this amazing section appeared before, from the 7 drum beats that become "Prying Open My Third Eye", to the guitar riff, to the vocals(which had a more diluted version earlier on). It's like all these parts were trying to find their place in in the song, and they all come together in this epic climax stronger than ever before.

Once that climax comes, the song seems to find its place and the rest is good listenin'.

This is one song that you can't listen to until you shut out the rest of the world. It's just so far beyond anything else I've heard.

ltdguitarist
03-22-2003, 08:58 PM
This song is indiscribable. You are right when you say that when listened to as a rock song it isn't that good. It moves something inside you, it kind of makes you open up to it. On regards to Pushit, i disliked the studio version, but the live version made me a believer and it is truly riveting.

Quetzocoatl
04-07-2003, 07:28 PM
Wow, I thought i was the only one who loved this song so much.

The original third eye was incredible. The salival version is more incredible. The guitar is so lush and colorful, its almost more powerful than the vocals, which are amazing in their own right: Maynard's cryptic whisperings and forceful screams are chilling everytime i hear them. I love to just fall into this song... the lyrics are so poetic that even though I may not be able to verbally articulate what the song means to me, Iknow that this song is a part of me. Without a doubt my favorite song by anyone anytime anywhere... its in a league all its own... when I think of good songs, I automatically place Third Eye (Salival) at the top without a thought.

Yiakovos
04-11-2003, 11:36 PM
Unfortunately, I have yet to experience the pure and awesome shineyness of the Salival version of Third Eye, though the original blew me away. Creativity, that is what Tool has in great abundance (as I have my talent for stating the blatently obvious.)

;)

proletarian
04-19-2003, 07:56 AM
I find this song extremely difficult to fathom without the use of drugs. Cannabis enhances the song so you perceive it on a whole new level. Every word maynard and Mister Leary say have incredible meaning, and are taken to heart. Without them the song is still easily the best song ever, musically and philiosophically.

I love tool.

Astrogalis
04-19-2003, 03:33 PM
I agree, I love this song. There is no song i have heard that is so Butiful in such and ugly and hard way. But if you listen to the song at the right time it will blow you away and it will never sound the same agin.

Mark D
04-26-2003, 08:06 PM
Good, great, wonderful. Not the best. I still love it though.

Yiakovos
04-29-2003, 04:13 PM
I have experienced the shinyness of the live version of Third Eye! Ingenious! The pure shinyness of that track actually burned me! You don't even notice that it's so long, time just flies by when you listen to it.

superstrings19
05-22-2003, 05:39 PM
I saw third eye live in Baton rouge, and I haven't been the same since.

RasputinDelOest
05-22-2003, 11:13 PM
Perhaps the song in itself is greatness (Don't get me wrong, I whack off to the song too.) but as compared to written pieces of lateralus, it doesn't compare.

The Lateralus album is actually composed, written out and arranged on a level different than that of Mozart or such. (Can't articulate, need to sleep.)

If you know anything about band music and playing guitar (other than power chords) they [Lateralus songs] are the greatest songs ever.

Sleep...

charger
10-19-2004, 07:07 PM
Salival, Live, Third Eye, this song introduced me once again to the true genius that tool is and when compared to the Aenima version, it is not even the same song. The Salival version has so much more energy and personality how could you not think Third Eye is the greatest song ever written.

TheHolyGift
10-20-2004, 11:52 AM
I actually think the studio version of both Third Eye and Pushit are much better.

Raev'n
11-01-2004, 04:47 PM
Well they all have their good points but for me Salial is the best release by Tool. Just because every song is fucking brilliant.

Every Song

hoodling1229
11-03-2004, 03:14 PM
when i first heard this song, i didn't understand tool's music well, and therefore did not understand the song. once i learned how to listen to tool, with an open mind, i realized that music is not all notes and how fast you can play them. this song changed my life, and has inspired me countless times.