PDA

View Full Version : Gaping Lotus Experience...too familiar

sianspheric
02-22-2003, 10:23 AM
So there has never been a thread on this topic?

seraph
02-22-2003, 10:36 AM
im surprised

my 2 cents would be towards the song title
The 7th chakra or crown chakra is also known as the Thousand Petalled Lotus and it connects us to our higher self.

Prying open my brown eye,
seraph +=)

reign3
02-24-2003, 03:20 PM
lotuses iz gud

GaiusCaligula
06-14-2007, 12:03 PM
All too familiar indeed

jaggermeister
06-20-2007, 05:55 AM
i had a friend once......

funny i think i was that friend a couple of times back in college.

Ghostwriter
06-20-2007, 05:04 PM
i had a friend once......

Did you friend happen to be about 50% alcohol; jaggermeister? Eay?

Anon-Imus
07-29-2007, 04:06 PM

I have tried acid, and have seen others on LSD. (To my homies: "Don't take the green acid from the door-to-door Wizard") But since this is the last response for this song which made sense which is the last song I have yet to hear from Tool, (been a fan for 8 years now) I was wanting to share a few experiences that might explain the words from an outside point of view.
One forgotten year, I was at a party. A group of friends on acid pointed me to a 3 ft by 3 ft storage bin where a 250 lb man had squeezed his way in. They told me he was scared of the fireballs coming off the ends of everyone's cigarettes. Acid affects the way people see light, and to comment on a person tripping trying to put out lighters, might have been a general statement of the mental state and behaviors of those tripping. However, to try and explain in your own experience an acid trip, is like trying to expain to someone how many water molecules were in your last drink, near to impossible. Hence, Maynard's observing comments.
As to the x, I had a friend on x who was so sensitive to touch, she combed her face with a brush for an hour, in between taking three scolding hot showers. Then she disappeared, and I found her having group sex with the same group, at a different time, that I mentioned before. x has a person become so sensitive to touch that they try to quell their need for stimulation, they first try inanimate objects obsessively, such as a brush or "Lazy Boy" recliner as stated by Maynard, and then venture out for human to human stimulation, which can get quite messy, also as described by Maynard.
Then when the sustances wear off, you are left feeling the way you were before you took them. And to realize why you took them in the first place? You didn't have anything better to do. Our society takes so much the work out of life, that we find other ways to amuse ourselves, self-destructive or creative, or both. This in part with thinking too much about everything, lack of better things to do with our life will be the hub and downfall of society. This is usually attributed to Satan and his portrayal of being the bad guy, almost characterized as human free will. And Satan doesn't want us gone, he wants us to stick around, he's probably our biggest fan.

If anyone feels I am not qualified to give a commentary due to never listening to the song, then I have a question for you. Why was this hidden track not on the cassette? I hate CD's because I had a 250 Original (Not burned) CD collection stolen from me. I downgraded to cassettes. I have all the Tool albums on cassette, including 10,000 Days (which came from Indonesia [Capitalist US does not have a market or make cassettes since 2001]). The 1992 copywrited Opiate cassette does not have this song on it, and I refuse to buy the CD version. The cassette has all six original tracks on both sides, but the CD only has the 6 original songs once. (12 total to 6 total) So, was this song added to the Album to make a more sellable Item, and Maynard and company were forced to add to that album? I think so, and for Maynard to say he is bored, might be that drugs don't last forever (face value). Or it could be that he was forced to come up with a song by his record label, and he was bored of being told what to do creatively (Refer reader to Hush). Thanks for reading, and stay in school.

pyneapple
07-30-2007, 03:35 PM
it's not on the cd either, it's on the vinyl version

conor moore
07-30-2007, 03:49 PM
it's not on the cd either, it's on the vinyl version

its on the cd
its at the end of opiate

miketh74
09-02-2007, 11:00 AM
its on the cd
its at the end of opiate

Yes...it is on the cd.

Great interpretation Anon-imus. I'd have to say that your first reaction to "I'm getting bored" is the correct one. Maynard, I believe, is pointing out that drugs eventually do wear off leaving you feeling the exact same as before, maybe even a little more drained. I, too, have taken cid and it can be physically and mentally draining. Albeit, great read!!

Anon-Imus
10-21-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm glad someone responded, but I'm still searching and may never know why this song was added to the end of the album. I still refuse to listen to it, as it wasn't originally intended to be on the album, and I feel they were forced to put it on the album. Damn those record execs!

Carny_Handles
06-07-2008, 11:36 AM
I always thought it was just a humorous 'cliche' thing to put at the end of a 'rock and roll'' album. Hell, it perfectly fits the end of opiate IMO.