PDA

View Full Version : mysticism

DonnieDarko
09-21-2005, 02:42 PM
i've taken a few classes on mysticism, and this song is like a textbook for mysticism 101. When he says "you will come to find that we are all one mind," that really rings a bell. Most Buddhist mystics refer to their mystical experiences as a state of active oneness, or "oneing" as they call it. Interestingly, most religions are fearful of and feel threatened by the mystical experience because it shows that the individual doesn't need the church to experience a connection to God. However, where most mystical experiences vary is in their apprehension of their creator. Typically, whatever religion a person belongs to dictates how they perceive their creator to be. For example, Christians meet God, Buddhists meet Buddha, etc. So, actually the mystical experience affirms the particular religion's authenticity for the individual.

Livia Indica
09-25-2005, 11:24 AM
the mystical experience affirms the particular religion's authenticity for the individual.

Indeed. But that begs the question: is affirmation really necessary or desirable? If you were to subscribe to the "faith is all you need" theory then the mystical or religious experience would be considered unnecessary. In fact, it might be considered a mere trick of the mind as opposed to actual direct contact with deity/enlightenment.

Sometimes I wonder if all that "having faith" stuff isn't just a safer or otherwise easier way. I mean, if you don't ever come face to face with your god or with yourself then you don't have to worry about explaining your actions or asking direct questions and thus receiving answers, which can be scary as shit. Even if it does lead to personal progress I can envision how some people would prefer to "take it on faith" rather than probe deeper or reach higher.