PDA

View Full Version : Religion

nausea
02-19-2003, 05:26 PM
I know I'm just blindly stabbing in the dark with this one, but I interpret this song as a retaliation against religion being pushed on the narrator. Christianity, especially. I'm probably only seeing it in this light because my family likes to push religion and church on me, and it's just somewhere I don't want to be.

The infant in the beginning may refer to the person(s) pushing their beliefs on him. Infantile because they put all their faith into a book and a set of beliefs and don't open their mind to other beliefs, or disbeliefs. But what are they but his reflection? We're all human, under the same sky. So who is anyone to judge or strike anyone else down?
But they push and shove it on him. They may be someone close to him, they love him, but they attack him with what they believe is "right."
They stack all these beliefs and rules on him, trying to sway him from entering another path, for it may be the end for them both.
"I'm alive when you're touching me,
Alive when you're shoving me down."
I have no support to connect this with my little theory here... so it just strikes me as most likely completely wrong and a million miles from the truth. Oh well.
But he'd trade all this blind faith for just a little piece of mind. Peace of mind. An open mind.
They put him somewhere he doesn't want to be. I see this as church. He finds nothing satisfying in it, only unanswered questions and judgemental preaching.
But he ends up there again, in that gap, and they preach and attack him and beg him to stay so his soul can reach Heaven. But he must start pushing back, to save himself. Because if he stays he'll fade away, he'll lose himself because they'll only close his mind with rules and beliefs etched in stone with no proof. So to fight back the attacking persuasion against him, he must persuade THEM another way. The answer:
"There's no love in fear."
Why fear your God?
He's there again, staring down the hole. Which might refer to the void in those beliefs.. the lack of answers and proof. And their preaching hands are pushing him down and he's terrified of losing himself. So he must fight back.
He loves this person. But he's had enough. He'll tear down their walls, their throat(not literally) their beliefs and put his foot down.
It mustn't end another way.

Just my silly opinion. Correct me. Scold me. Have mercy.