PDA

View Full Version : The "sound" of the new album

Underalus
08-31-2005, 05:14 PM
I just started watching an old bootleg from the Lateralus tour and noticed all the little things they added between songs. I'm not talking about extended versions of Prison Sex or of Stinkfist (which is also great), I'm talking about extra little fills. The do one before schism, one to introduce schism, and one during schism before the "cold silence" break-down. They also performed one after Triad and before Lateralus in the concerts I've seen/heard from the tour. These little things are fantastic, what does everyone else think? I would not be mad at all if the album turned out sounding more influenced by post-rock like those fills than if the album comes out sounding more metal. This could be a good discussion if someone doesn't turn this thread to shit.

Thanks,
John

Intertwined
08-31-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I heard a great one from their Woodstock show, played right before Sober.

Althought it might of been Merkaba, I'm not sure.

Spoon
08-31-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm pretty sure those are just little things they did live to spice up the songs, make them different, add something to the live show. bands do it all the time. frankly, i just want to hear this new album!

SmallWangedMan
08-31-2005, 06:10 PM
Hell, that'd me more than fine with me, but it's not happening.

Bogart
08-31-2005, 06:13 PM
yah, those extra fills and intros are pretty killer. actually, i hope the new album is kind of like lateralus, in that the songs seem to mesh together, but i would like to see it go in a heavier direction also.

Underalus
08-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Tool have mentioned Meshuggah as an influence, I wonder who else the band listened to in the 5-year downtime period. I would hope bands like Mogwai, Godspeed, Explosions in the Sky etc. would have taken a spin in their CD players over the years, especially because I don't listen to Meshuggah.
Does everyone else agree that they don't listen to Tool to rock out or mosh? It kind of seems lame to defect more towards a metal sound than something as expressive as Post-Rock.

Goldfoot
08-31-2005, 08:43 PM
I would hope bands like Mogwai, Godspeed, Explosions in the Sky etc.

Godspeed....You Black Emperor!?

MasterOfKtulu109
08-31-2005, 09:15 PM
I just hope it's completely different than anything they've done before, and I'm sure it will be. Tool is one of those bands in which I have absolutely no idea what the new songs will sound like. I love a band that can continue to change and surprise.

I can't stand people who say they want the album to go back to their old style, or sound like Undertow or Aenima. It's like a band should make 2 or 3 albums to act as molds for their entire career, and just go back and remake albums over and over again.

/Parallelus/Reflectionis/
08-31-2005, 09:35 PM
I just hope it's completely different than anything they've done before, and I'm sure it will be. Tool is one of those bands in which I have absolutely no idea what the new songs will sound like. I love a band that can continue to change and surprise.

I can't stand people who say they want the album to go back to their old style, or sound like Undertow or Aenima. It's like a band should make 2 or 3 albums to act as molds for their entire career, and just go back and remake albums over and over again.

Yeah, agreed. It would kill (one of the many things) I love so much about Tool, that they are constantly in evolution. We will all be in awe when we hear the (entire) album ...

... exept for the losers who are lame enough to ruin it all and listen to leaked tracks

fraz
09-01-2005, 12:00 AM
i thought there wasn't enough singing in lateralus - to the point where i was ticked off they actually put an instrumental track on there (sorry but triad sucks badly). so anyway, I'm hoping maynard will get back into singing with the same intensity as on undertow and aenima

haich
09-01-2005, 01:37 AM
i thought there wasn't enough singing in lateralus

eh!? maynards singing is brilliant on the album,

and there's plenty of it too...

Spongebob
09-01-2005, 01:56 AM
yeah i agree fraz, with lateralus it seems maynard is left out a bit. i think thats because the music was jammed out and written bby justin, adam and danny while he was with APC, and he came in to add it once they had been estabilishing the sound. the next album could be the same, as maynard was with apc when a lot of the writing was going down, so he may seem like the singing may seem like the least important ingredient to the sound.

im not sure if its a bad thing though, i love triad and the instrumental dominance through the album. sure i like it when hes up there singing his guts out like in undertow aenima days, but i think those other guys have so much to offer in their sound that the balance will be found that suits best, same with lateralus. hell they know what they are doing.

Lorre
09-01-2005, 02:12 AM
I've noticed something special about Danny's drums in the pictures that have been released.
His toms all have heads that are actually a bit too big, so the edges of the heads don't touch the shells.
I know this is usually only done with very big concert toms, so I wonder how this will sound...

Spongebob
09-01-2005, 02:14 AM
undertow - 3095 words (includes disgustipated)
aenima - 2945 words (not including dier von satan and message to harry manback)
lateralus - 1823 words (no faiip)

next album? - [Blair: There will be words, and lots of them]

awaking
09-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Yeah, I heard a great one from their Woodstock show, played right before Sober.

Althought it might of been Merkaba, I'm not sure.
they didn't play woodstock.. unless im reallly mistaken, i downloaded a mp3 file, and its a whole concert.. but im really sure they didn't play.. maybe 94.. but im almost positive not 99. ill google now

awaking
09-01-2005, 04:56 AM
they didn't play woodstock.. unless im reallly mistaken, i downloaded a mp3 file, and its a whole concert.. but im really sure they didn't play.. maybe 94.. but im almost positive not 99. ill google now
well i couldnt find anything that says they did play.. or didn't play.. so i still think i'm right but yeah anybody else know..

s ti N Kfizt
09-01-2005, 05:27 AM
I hope that Maynard would sing like in Pushit's best voc moments.. okay not like the same but still something.... fuck i cannot explain it.

5% Undertow, 20% AEnima, 25% Lateralus, 50% new sounds would be cool.

........ ^ okay that last sentence of mine is fucked up.

09-01-2005, 06:17 AM
i thought there wasn't enough singing in lateralus - to the point where i was ticked off they actually put an instrumental track on there (sorry but triad sucks badly). so anyway, I'm hoping maynard will get back into singing with the same intensity as on undertow and aenima

Well, personaly I love Triad, and I think some Instrumental music is a great thing. But don't be mistaken, I love Maynard's singing and I just think that the number of words there is on an album have nothing to do with the place he takes. Lateralus may contain less lyrics, but they're so worked-out and deep I think it's just the way it have to be.

They decided it was that way and hell, I'm not the one who will go against it...

... of course it's because I like it that way :)

Underalus
09-01-2005, 08:13 AM
I wouldn't agree he doesn't sing as much, but I do agree he doesn't fully reach his vocal potential on Lateralus as he did on Aenima. The only really memorable parts on lateralus to me are all of schism Parabol/a (which is SO good) and disp/reflection (especially "before we pine away"). People will argue the scream on the grudge, but honestly don't like most of that song. People will also argue the "must keep reminding myself of this" part from Patient, but I don't think either of those hold as much power as the chorus of H. alone.
That being said, lateralus is still my favourite album do to cohesion between pieces (yes, those pieces really fit) and overall song structure. They really have gotten better and different with each album, and I highly doubt that trend will stop with this album.

just simulacra
09-01-2005, 08:33 AM
Eon Blue Apocalypse was pretty much played before Pushit circa the salival recordings.

MasterOfKtulu109
09-01-2005, 08:39 AM
I hope the music stays as dominant as it has been. That's why I love their music because they are not afraid to play 2 or 3 minutes without vocals. Go listen to most other bands; they have like 10 seconds at the beginning and 10 seconds in the middle that is just music. The rest is the singer feeling obligated to sing, even if its just the title of the song over and over again. A lot of bands can't sense the part of the song that should just have music and no vocals. I find myself saying 'how great this part of the song would be if the singer would just shut up for a few seconds.'

I like Maynards lyrics, and I've always thought he has sung at the times when it is most appropriate. Tool has a great sense of how the song feels, and they always do what feels right. Just look at Triad. That song would not work at all if it had vocals.

dilatedcrimson
09-01-2005, 08:43 AM
agreed with the guy above me.

Wretched
09-01-2005, 12:09 PM
I hope the music stays as dominant as it has been. That's why I love their music because they are not afraid to play 2 or 3 minutes without vocals. Go listen to most other bands; they have like 10 seconds at the beginning and 10 seconds in the middle that is just music. The rest is the singer feeling obligated to sing, even if its just the title of the song over and over again. A lot of bands can't sense the part of the song that should just have music and no vocals. I find myself saying 'how great this part of the song would be if the singer would just shut up for a few seconds.'.

There are plenty of bands like this, it isn't just Tool. Even though you aren't suggesting that, you are suggesting that this is what makes them great. It has nothing to do with the fact they aren't afraid to have long periods of no vocals. They are good because they put as much effort as they can into every song. It is cool that it just happens to be on average over 5 minutes. but lots of bands are great that have just 3 or 4 minute songs. Length isn't the concern, it is the amount of thought and passion put into each song.

I agree with your second paragraph though.

Archetypically
09-01-2005, 12:39 PM
Some ass hole at my work walked by and saw that I was on tdn, and so said the following:
"You like tool? They suck. They always play like 4 minutes of just music. I hate bands like that"
I proceeded to point and laugh at his ignorance. He likes bands like Green Day and Blink 182. What kind of stupid thing to say is "They play to much music" I wanted to stab him with something but nothing was close enough at the time.

s ti N Kfizt
09-01-2005, 12:44 PM
Yeash.. more H. -likes in the new album.

And yeah i agree with MasterOfKtulu109 most of.

Spongebob
09-01-2005, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't agree he doesn't sing as much, but I do agree he doesn't fully reach his vocal potential on Lateralus as he did on Aenima. The only really memorable parts on lateralus to me are all of schism Parabol/a (which is SO good) and disp/reflection (especially "before we pine away"). People will argue the scream on the grudge, but honestly don't like most of that song. People will also argue the "must keep reminding myself of this" part from Patient, but I don't think either of those hold as much power as the chorus of H. alone.
That being said, lateralus is still my favourite album do to cohesion between pieces (yes, those pieces really fit) and overall song structure. They really have gotten better and different with each album, and I highly doubt that trend will stop with this album.

i agree, on lateralus, i think most of the lyrics are sort of spoken more than sung. the grudge and schism, the words are just touched on shortly, rather than given a big yell or roar like on aenima.

the thing is, when they play live maynard seems to bust out a whole new level from the album, he sings songs like the grudge and schism higher than the album versions, same with sober, its spoken on the album but he gives it a lot more when they play live.

creator
09-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Tool have mentioned Meshuggah as an influence, I wonder who else the band listened to in the 5-year downtime period. I would hope bands like Mogwai, Godspeed, Explosions in the Sky etc. would have taken a spin in their CD players over the years, especially because I don't listen to Meshuggah.
Does everyone else agree that they don't listen to Tool to rock out or mosh? It kind of seems lame to defect more towards a metal sound than something as expressive as Post-Rock.

Yeah also heard of the meshuggah influence but unlike you, i am impressed. It is the only band I like as much as tool. The fact is that their style is exactly opposite to what tool sang on lateralus, and this makes it interesting (but risky). While tool has virtually a single intrument per track (because all the musical pieces fit) meshuggah is about creating lots of paralel rythms and dissonances that make sense only if you know a great amount of musical teory (or you have listened to them alot like i did). Moreover, meshuggah are one of the most tehnical bands ever and whatever you may say adam is nothing compared to a "guitar monster" like thorenthal (and haake is a totally different type of (exelent) drumer).

Just curious how these things will mix up.... And yes, i do hope the next Meshuggah (2008, perhaps, ;( ) album will have tool influences :)

Lackymacky
09-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Godspeed....You Black Emperor!?

how many godspeeds do you know?

Spongebob
09-01-2005, 07:58 PM
well i couldnt find anything that says they did play.. or didn't play.. so i still think i'm right but yeah anybody else know..

http://www.distortiononline.com/content/index2.html

a comprehensive list of tools live concert history.

doesnt look like they played woodstock, they played coachella in 1999, he only 99 concert.

dont trust the dates and details from mp3 bootlegs, they are usually incorrect.

Goldfoot
09-01-2005, 08:24 PM
how many godspeeds do you know?

How about "Godspeed"?

Underalus
09-02-2005, 01:09 AM
Well I never knew there was a band named Godspeed, thanks for bringing that to my attention, but I did mean GSY!BE. That's how I'll refer to them from now on because the full name is too damn long.
Another thing, while H. is my favourite song, if their new album happened to be a bunch of different H.-ish songs, it would suck, hard. If it turns out to be a bunch of metal that I could basically hear in another band (or Opiate/Undertow), then I'll also be dissapointed. However, I'm certain that Tool's choice to go heavier or more instrumental will be a natural evolution of their music and therefore result in something worthwhile. It will be good, because they couldn't live with making bad music, and I think their fans share their idea of good and bad music.

Spongebob
09-02-2005, 01:42 AM
I did mean GSY!BE. That's how I'll refer to them from now on because the full name is too damn long.

that wont do either because godspeed is one word.

make it GY!BE.

Goldfoot
09-02-2005, 08:23 AM
that wont do either because godspeed is one word.

make it GY!BE.

Shouldn't the ! be at the end?

dracomordag
09-02-2005, 09:42 AM
I think that Lateralus has the best vocal work of any Tool album...

Not to mention the best music ;)

Spongebob
09-02-2005, 01:06 PM

nope, its in the middle im pretty sure.

awaking
09-02-2005, 02:26 PM
nope, its in the middle im pretty sure.
me too.

TurdEye13
09-02-2005, 04:12 PM
It is going to be without a doubt the heaviest Tool album to date!

****On another note, maybe someone can find out information on Tool's recording progress in another way. Someone may need to see who rents them out the studio and see when they "check out" meaning they are done! I have no idea how someone can obtain this information but, I'm sure it's possible. Once we figure this out then we might be able to guess the release date with a little more precision.****

Spongebob
09-02-2005, 04:39 PM
i doubt it thirdeye, they are recording, they are probably going to be fnished soon if they arent already, the album will be out a few months after. sit tight and wait.

paraflux
09-02-2005, 04:43 PM
When they played Houston on the 2nd of the 3 tours, Maynard walked offstage midway through the Patient. I thought the rest of the song was beautiful without him.

Lackymacky
09-02-2005, 06:11 PM
How about "Godspeed"?

touche

Underalus
09-02-2005, 07:27 PM
wow I'd like to hear an MP3 of that version of the patient. Did Maynard walk off because his Evian wasn't exactly 10 degrees or something, what's the deal with Diva Maynard?

09-07-2005, 07:58 AM

In fact it changes place in each album.

Spaceman Spiff
09-07-2005, 08:13 AM
It is going to be without a doubt the heaviest Tool album to date!

****On another note, maybe someone can find out information on Tool's recording progress in another way. Someone may need to see who rents them out the studio and see when they "check out" meaning they are done! I have no idea how someone can obtain this information but, I'm sure it's possible. Once we figure this out then we might be able to guess the release date with a little more precision.****
They're probably right around the corner from me somewhere... last album was done in North Hollywood - 5 minute drive.