PDA

View Full Version : The first version vs. the second

Chrysalis
02-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Though many people posting opinions about the song are focusing on the meaning of the song itself, what I find most beautiful about it is the difference between the first and second versions (Aenima vs. Salival).
The first version it seems he's talking about the idea of being pushed to do something your not comfortable with or being forced into a frightening situation. He cares about who he is speaking of enough that their presence puts him in a state of fear, vulnerablility. The evolution between the first and second song is what grabs me because it feels as if he saying the exact opposite in the second version.
At this point he may have looked at this situation as an opportunity to grow. Fear being a good thing, vulnerability being a good thing. He is establishing that when he's pushed into the "gap" fear will grip him, and he may not have control of himself anymore (and neither will the other entity because they have already let go, hence the line "we both may disappear")- but that letting himself go is the point. If we always fear what could possibly happen in a situation we will never grow. We must be open to anything so we can conquer it and move on.
"There's no love in fear" - In the first version it seems as if this line is saying that the situation is causing fear that will prevent love. In the second version it's almost as if he is speaking to himself and saying "There's no love in fear" -- So don't fear.
The entire tone of the song seems to change in the second one. It goes from a somewhat hardened, defensive type of music to a loving and accepting kind of music. It's like he has come to grips with himself and let go of the insecurity. If anyone here has read "the wisdom of insecurity" by Alan Watts it seems this song (and many other songs by Tool) focus around this idea.
The theory (and fact of the matter) is that fear grips so many of us and prevents us from moving forward. The idea of insecurity and not being willing to step forward "through our shadows" and move on through the fear prevents us from so much. It puts us to sleep and robs us of our potential.

adbirdnas
03-04-2003, 06:25 PM
There seems to be barely any difference to these 2 songs. yes, one is a slower, softer version of the first, but beyond that, I still can't see much of a difference between the 2.

euthanasia
03-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Seems like the Ænima version is a bit harsher, more rough, a comer hard love (to me is a lovesong). There is a stronghold in describing the situation. The main charcater of the song is more demanding, more perhaps cold.
In Salival version, is more pasionate, more romantical in a way. This is a clear beg. The main character is begging, suplicating. Crying.

joeyt17
03-19-2003, 05:42 PM
there are slight different lyrics to the Ænima version of Pushit that the lyrics sections doesn't mention

they go something like this...
"your pushing and shoving, and i'm scrambbling to keep my feet flat on the ground"

also thought you guys would be interested, theres a video that you can probably get from any P2P connection called maynard and the fan...its a 2 minute of clip of a kid that snuck onto the stage...but if you guys watch the clip you can see maynard takes care of the situation while singing...I reccomend checking it out

plexus
03-24-2003, 01:03 AM
i saw that show... not live... but the video... where that guy came up to maynard for a hug... and maynard flipped him on his ass... sat on top of him and sang the rest of the song on top of him... maynard really seemed to be choking that guy pretty badly... he will choke that infant there before him, eh?... well... and they way that maynard and the rest of the band delt with that sort of situation really shows how well they perform... the crowd ate it up... it was his boyfriend... they just cant be separated..

anyway... the difference between the songs is the music... and thats the whole point... if you heard both songs without lyics, youd have no clue that they were the same song... tool is all about the music

Shinji
07-11-2007, 12:59 AM
This fear theory sounds a lot to me like the "litany of fear" by Frank Herbert in "Dune".