PDA

View Full Version : New art hinting at album/dvd possibilities?

just simulacra
08-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Remember a fairly recent newsletter wherein Blair admitted Tool's desire to use a recent woodcut of Ramiro Rodriguez in an upcoming shirt?

I never really saw it discussed much here ... maybe it just went under the radar?

Anyways, I'm just interested in what you all think this says, if anything, about their upcoming album/dvd?

Maybe it's from whence Teleincision was born ... I could see it.

At the time, to me at least, it gave some credence to the rumor.

Here's the woodcut in question:

http://members.cox.net/raypaskus/ramiro.jpg

Intertwined
08-14-2005, 02:37 PM
That would be awesome.

Ocelot199
08-14-2005, 02:57 PM
I dunno... that doesn't seem to really go along with the new opening thing to Toolband... assuming that that logo has some place on a future album. Plus I don't much like that thing... doesn't seem Toolish at all. No forks OR cows licking themselves.

LetTheRabbitsWearGlasses
08-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Or ugly fat chicks and midgets. that'd look kinda cool on a T-shirt, though.

triad636
08-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Or ugly fat chicks and midgets. that'd look kinda cool on a T-shirt, though.
midgets??.. i dont recall any midgets...

LetTheRabbitsWearGlasses
08-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Didn't the guy on the undertow art seem kinda small?

triad636
08-14-2005, 03:25 PM
Didn't the guy on the undertow art seem kinda small?
compared to that monsterous blob, yes but he wasnt a midget...

awaking
08-14-2005, 03:31 PM
I dunno... that doesn't seem to really go along with the new opening thing to Toolband... assuming that that logo has some place on a future album. Plus I don't much like that thing... doesn't seem Toolish at all. No forks OR cows licking themselves.
well it goes along with the new intro, the spirals an the dots behind the spirals are all on the new intro..

triad636
08-14-2005, 03:57 PM
well it goes along with the new intro, the spirals an the dots behind the spirals are all on the new intro..
that is medusa and the intro on toolband is not.. i can see how u see the similarities.. but its nothing close..

just simulacra
08-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Kids, I'm not looking for direct correlations between the images on the website and the art ... I'm asking for your opinions on what you think that artwork suggests thematically?

triad636
08-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Kids, I'm not looking for direct correlations between the images on the website and the art ... I'm asking for your opinions on what you think that artwork suggests thematically?
heh, i dont know im soo used to seing stuff from adam, cam, and chet.. they have a certain art that i am familliar with and it fits with tools music, so this piece is pretty cool but doesnt fit with tool IMO

if they did use it , the only thing it suggests to me is a kid frozen by medusa ( or how kids these days are always watching tv) thats all i get out of it

something_Dark
08-14-2005, 04:19 PM
http://www.soundnova.com/upcoming.shtml

Who knows maybe were all being fed lil bits of info at a time so that when the day it finally does come out we run out right away buy four or five copys in turn jacking up the albums soundscan and there by makeing disectional alot more cash.

The first 3 weeks of an albums release are the most important if they go platinum right away that means more CD print orders and makes the album worth more to the distribution company. There by giveing Disectional the right to jack up the price for the rights and contract they sold to BMG or who ever the fuck the distibution company is now....

I just wonder what kinda of gimmic this one is going to play.. anyone recall getting a toy in a box of cereal?

hmmm....

just simulacra
08-14-2005, 04:22 PM
Tool's used Ramiro's artwork in their products before. I still have my "woodcut" T-shirt from way back when ... and although I tossed it, I remember my Aenima-era "Pneuma 1" based poster.

So, when I see this artwork --- it really reminds me of Tool.

just simulacra
08-14-2005, 04:27 PM
heh, i dont know im soo used to seing stuff from adam, cam, and chet.. they have a certain art that i am familliar with and it fits with tools music, so this piece is pretty cool but doesnt fit with tool IMO

if they did use it , the only thing it suggests to me is a kid frozen by medusa ( or how kids these days are always watching tv) thats all i get out of it

The idea of a DVD being called "Teleincision", and being released with this art on promotional materials [shirts, etc] makes sense.

I've read tons of interviews wherein Maynard stresses his distaste for the television ... it's pretty typical, if not cliched ... but it's pretty prevelant.

This artwork definitely portrays Television in the same way. What with the images on screen "capturing" the boy, turning him to stone, hypnotizing him --- images that're being PROMOTED by a demon [on the left], while an angel struggles to pull the plug. Notice the kid's also sitting on his books. Says a lot.

Ideally, a Tool DVD, in many ways, would pull the plug on TV by introducing worthwhile, artistic, possibly educational material to the viewer. Pulling the plug / cutting the cord. Tele---incision.

It's plausible. Even the typical Tool-double-meaning-compound-title ... with the root "tele" meaning "from afar" or "from a distance", it reflects the nature of the act.

One of the only reasons I ever gave credance to the rumor ... anyways. That's my take on the entire subject.

UtUmNo1
08-14-2005, 04:34 PM
It's not a bad take, I might add.

triad636
08-14-2005, 08:06 PM
The idea of a DVD being called "Teleincision", and being released with this art on promotional materials [shirts, etc] makes sense.

I've read tons of interviews wherein Maynard stresses his distaste for the television ... it's pretty typical, if not cliched ... but it's pretty prevelant.

This artwork definitely portrays Television in the same way. What with the images on screen "capturing" the boy, turning him to stone, hypnotizing him --- images that're being PROMOTED by a demon [on the left], while an angel struggles to pull the plug. Notice the kid's also sitting on his books. Says a lot.

Ideally, a Tool DVD, in many ways, would pull the plug on TV by introducing worthwhile, artistic, possibly educational material to the viewer. Pulling the plug / cutting the cord. Tele---incision.

It's plausible. Even the typical Tool-double-meaning-compound-title ... with the root "tele" meaning "from afar" or "from a distance", it reflects the nature of the act.

One of the only reasons I ever gave credance to the rumor ... anyways. That's my take on the entire subject.

you have a unique and promising take on this, now that i read it it makes more sense.. i remember interviews with maynard with apc or tool and he has said that he dislikes tv and thinks people should find info on their own and not be spoon fed by the television ( for example the tv's in the countin bodies video) he really strives to keep the lifstyle ways that timothy leary also strived for (think for yourself question authority) i fell really retarded now now being informed i realize that this picture would be perfect for tool, its one of those things that you dont see if you just glance at it, you have to think about and really pay attention to detail and simultaniously keep the ways of tool in mind as well... i never did doubt the title of teleinscision i just found it odd at first but now looking at this piece of art and thinking more and more about it , i realize that this could very well be the title of the dvd.. i thank you again for opening my eyes to this...

Intertwined
08-15-2005, 06:05 AM
Yeah, it makes sense that this is the DVD too with the title and all that. Maybe if the CD is named Elephteria you will only be able to listen to it from the anal cavity of an elephant while it projects further noise out of the trunk.

ARMZ
08-15-2005, 08:44 AM

You my friend are on the ball.

Or should I say, on the mark.

What ever the case, I enjoyed reading what you had to say.

Spaceman Spiff
08-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Tool's used Ramiro's artwork in their products before. I still have my "woodcut" T-shirt from way back when ... and although I tossed it, I remember my Aenima-era "Pneuma 1" based poster.

So, when I see this artwork --- it really reminds me of Tool.
I had that shirt, too... wish I still did - that one was awesome.

something_Dark
08-15-2005, 09:29 PM
I had that shirt, too... wish I still did - that one was awesome.

i still have that shirt, It is full of holes and the awsome wood cut work on the back is hardly there anymore.

I just can not bring myself to throwing it away... Its the pale green one too! I guess i always thought that i could buy another someday...

=(