PDA

View Full Version : For those down under, Melbournians in particular

pushtheenvelope
02-17-2003, 05:39 AM
Evening all. Just a little query for those fellow Toolheads out there that live in Melbourne or have ever visited the Victoria Market.

This occurred to me many years ago now, but for some reason I have decided to throw the memory ball at anyone who's willing to catch it and turf it back. The little 20 sec ditty at the beginning of Crawl Away sounded very familiar to me when I first purchased Undertow (appox early '95) and gave it a red hot listen. Now this is going back many years now (maybe even 10) but you know the little mall-type area to the back of the market entrance? Well in that mall there used to be a multitude of different musicians and buskers doing their thing (and probably still is, it has been many years so all apologies).

I was CERTAIN on this particular night when listening to the song, that this little tune which is said to be performed by the group "Suenos" (according to the FAQ), was also performed by that same group within their repetoir in that mall day after day many years ago.

Now of course, if this Undertow inclusion in fact WAS that same song (which I am unbelievably certain) then of course it may just be a well known song that is often performed by other musicians in it's respective foreign culture.

So after all that I suppose the questions I am asking are:

1. Is this scenario i speak of in any way audibly familiar to anyone else? If so, then hooray for boobies! and;
2. If this is a well known musical piece, then what are its origins, and specifically, what may have possessed the boys to include it on this great album.

Maybe it is just a coincidence. But I always thought when I was a bit younger and I had first come to this realisation, that I had stumbled across some unique Tool discovery (well to me it was unique anyway). Has anyone else ever been in that place? However over the years as my affinity and undertanding of Tool's music became more intense & open-minded, I realised that there is so much more to every piece of their music that beckons me, to look through to these, infinite possibilities.

Thanks for listening.

Adam ):(

3rd eye
02-18-2003, 05:51 AM
I live in Melb, but hardly ever go to the vic market. Lots of tool banners, tees, etc there, also some rare videos of live recordings etc of which I was gonna purchase a week before they came last year to play in melb which was my first tool experience and best nite of my life for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I don't doubt anything of what you said.

accel2
02-20-2003, 08:25 AM
I went to Quebec City with my family and some friends when I was younger, probably about 7 or 8 years ago. There were some street performers playing South American/World-ish music on pan flutes and things like that, and I was POSITIVE that the song they were playing as I walked by was indeed the traditional song before "Crawl Away". I'm positive it was. So you must be right, it must just be a standard "traditional" kind of song played by world-music bands like that. It was such a surreal experience, being on a trip in the Old City of Quebec City, hearing that.

neveragain
02-20-2003, 09:07 AM
Sorry, I live in Pennsylvania, but Pearl Jam just played in your guys back yard, any of ya'll go?

pushtheenvelope
02-20-2003, 08:42 PM
I certainly did go to the Jam concert, and although this isn't the right forum, I feel obviously compelled to reply. We had kick-ass seats right in front of stage and they played a very interesting setlist that's for sure, a setlist which included five encores.
Seeings as though I drifted away from Pearl Jam post-vitalogy, I was fairly unfamiliar with what the band usually plays live. But highlights for me were: Tremor Christ, Given to Fly, Black and of course my fav for the evening, rear-view mirror. They had this MASSIVE disco ball above the stage later in the show, and it lit up the whole arena, creating the feeling of being in a snowstorm. Very nice indeed. Vedder rocks, and I was lucky enough to finally see first hand the raw talent of Mr Mike Mcready.

What more can I say!

Oh yeah, that for me, Tool remains unparalelled in regards to a live performance. While Pearl Jam may be a kick-ass band, Tool are a spiritually uplfting and universally meaningful 'experience'. Nothing comes close to those fine fellows.

Cheers,

Adam (:)