PDA

View Full Version : some interesting 'news'

Carny_Handles
08-10-2005, 10:31 PM
At my work im fortunate enough to listen to the local rock station and its owned by clear channel..not cool... but anyways, i heard the DJ give out some tool related info after they played schism. He said, "that was schism by tool and look for a new album spring of 2006" wtf.. im hoping tool is just fucking with clear channel. I started to logically think this through Spring of 2006 would be Februaryish right? theres no fucking way they would take another 6 months to record/produce this bizznatch riight??

:(

Ryan
08-10-2005, 10:38 PM
it's highly likely. just imagine how fucking incredible it's going to be though. if anything, i'd rather wait another six months.

cacophony
08-10-2005, 11:05 PM
it's highly likely. just imagine how fucking incredible it's going to be though. if anything, i'd rather wait another six months.

True, if they somehow could put out a poll (yes I know it won't happen) asking us to have a 2/3 done record now, or the complete masterpiece in 6 months. I would wait six months. Hey, what's six months in a 5 year period? Yes I know it's agonising...

Well that's what I think...

Ryan
08-10-2005, 11:13 PM
exactly. 6 more months for tool's version of the wall is fine with me.

Carny_Handles
08-10-2005, 11:34 PM
I agree, i would wait another year.. well who am i kidding, i would wait how ever long it would take.. its not like i'd hate tool or stop listening to them just because they're taking too long on an album release. I guess i just had a time frame set in my mind of when i might hear new tool, and it certainly wasn’t another 6 months away.. i kinda half expected a new album within the next two months.. with all the talks of producing the new album i figured it was in its final stages of being completed.

Ryan
08-10-2005, 11:43 PM
now that they've taken the initiative to release lateralus on vinyl, i wouldn't be surprised if they released a sequel to salival leading up to the new record. it isn't impossible.

Perseensilmä
08-11-2005, 12:03 AM
I kinda wish I would give a fuck. It's just a rock-album. It's no Jesus coming from the sky.

Ryan
08-11-2005, 12:24 AM
yes it is.

awaking
08-11-2005, 12:33 AM
thats interesting news, I knew they were releasing it on 06/06/06' "i'm just kidding'

Spongebob
08-11-2005, 03:32 AM
basicly though, as much as we care about it, they dont give a fuck if we care or not, they are gonna bring it out when they please, im sure they want people to hear it, but perfection is the main ingredient for tool and a longer wait than expected is always expected with tool.

adam also told me through his myspace:

contracts lawyers managers agents record co.$$$ etc
herny we need your support
its so hard getting anything done
our label got bought by bmg
bmg got bought by sony
think about all that red tape when you want to do something creative.

so yeah, i guess that record deal issues could come into it, i dont know much about that, i dont know much about writing music or recording and producing. but i guess we gotta just sit back and wait.

Dirty Sanchez
08-11-2005, 04:02 AM
6 months in not unlikely at all.

grady
08-11-2005, 04:53 AM
This is bullshit. First it was feb. '05...then mid summer...then fall ....now not till next year. That is some shit! I'm sure the album is done. DC and AJ were talking like they were done and they were just waiting on Maynard to wrap up the APC tour. That was last fucking fall. I have faith we wont have to wait till early '06. (I think) FUCK!

haich
08-11-2005, 04:57 AM
This is bullshit. First it was feb. '05...then mid summer...then fall ....now not till next year. That is some shit! I'm sure the album is done. DC and AJ were talking like they were done and they were just waiting on Maynard to wrap up the APC tour. That was last fucking fall. I have faith we wont have to wait till early '06. (I think) FUCK!
woah!, bit over the top there...

Citizen Erased
08-11-2005, 04:59 AM
The longer they take, the better. I want the album to be as great as they envisioned it from the beginning.

I'm sure it will be.

clone
08-11-2005, 05:38 AM
They've taken this long beacause they were this 5 years prepearing the lateralus vinyl. Now they'll take a vacation and then start with the new album which will obviusly lake much longer, so don't expect it before 2019.

Now, not joking, i just hope the new release fullfills my expectations, which gets bigger everytime.

ARMZ
08-11-2005, 05:47 AM
Nothing wrong with having high expectations, if you feel disappointed after you hear it, so what, you ain't dead, you haven't been shot in the ass, you didn't lose a million dollars on a single hand of poker....

Me personally, I find that if I like an album straight away, it becomes boring after a short period of time, where if it's something I don't like when I first hear it, I find that overtime I end up loving it.......yea.

dracomordag
08-11-2005, 06:16 AM
Remember when they were recording back in February? Ya know, like, 6 months ago? There's no way in hell recording takes six months, no matter how much effort you put into it, especially if you as a band "already had the framework for 10-12 songs". I mean, seriously. Recording takes 2 months maximum for most bands. And that's pushing it.

ARMZ
08-11-2005, 06:20 AM
Are you in a band?

dracomordag
08-11-2005, 06:46 AM
yea...

ARMZ
08-11-2005, 06:54 AM
Cooooool Duuuuuuude...............Seriously though think about how much effort they put into one song, they don't just make 3 minute songs with the same old girlfriend boyfriend break up bullshit and the shit they create they need to master it so the can play it live and have it sounding just as good.

triad636
08-11-2005, 06:57 AM
6 months is a damn long time...
aenima- lateralus was 5 years...

if it took the new album 6 more months it would be

Lateralus - new album is 5 years...
so it is a possiblity....

sure i would rather wait for something amazing than want to rush a piece of crap... im just saying this 6 month wait in my eyes is pretty unlikely.. but always a possibility.. i just can't wait that long .. but if it is 6 months, i can't change their minds so all we can do is wait...

Perseensilmä
08-11-2005, 06:57 AM
That's just lack of skill not perfectionism.

dracomordag
08-11-2005, 06:59 AM
Cooooool Duuuuuuude...............Seriously though think about how much effort they put into one song, they don't just make 3 minute songs with the same old girlfriend boyfriend break up bullshit and the shit they create they need to master it so the can play it live and have it sounding just as good.

Neither do we (I'm in a prog rock band), but then again my band writes everything and has it essentially nailed before we go to record, so we're a little different...

Even still, 6 months is an obscene amount of time to take to record.

triad636
08-11-2005, 07:01 AM
Neither do we (I'm in a prog rock band), but then again my band writes everything and has it essentially nailed before we go to record, so we're a little different...

Even still, 6 months is an obscene amount of time to take to record.

well we do know they are recording/mixing.. stuff like that, but there is a possibility that tool wants to tighten up some things before they record... im saying all this stuff is speculation we just have to wait for official news from toolband or toolarmy .. im sure we will get and update in the coming months

dracomordag
08-11-2005, 07:03 AM
Some quick math. 6 months = about 180 days, right? lets say they take off weekends, that's 128 days. Lets say they only go in to work for 5 hours a day. that's 640 hours they've had to record (assuming even a 2 disc piece) about 24 tracks. that's about 27 hours spent recording each track. That's simply ridiculous. If it's only a 1-disc deal, that doubles it to about 54 hours spent recording each track.

My conclusion: they have a shit load of circle jerks.

triad636
08-11-2005, 07:08 AM
heh u forgot to add the stress that blair (bliar) will give us in the road ahead

TurdEye13
08-11-2005, 07:47 AM
Trust me, anything Tool puts out is going to be amazing and groundbreaking!

PsychoX_02568
08-11-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm kinda getting back into the Beatles again.

TheNothingSong
08-11-2005, 08:11 AM
ahh, i want it asap. but as well as that... i think it was danny that said if the album takes a long time it will be fantastic..something about tool's version of the wall. and frankly, for something groundbreaking ( i think they already did that) i dont care how long it takes. fuck, i cant actually imagine something better than lateralus.

Draco: people fuck about. i'm not sure if tool will tho. when did maynard start writing/recording with tool, after amotion? Bliar always seems to have talked about the Writing/Recording process.. rather than recording. or writing. 6 months writing and recording and then getting over your ideas and realising some are shit, and developing new ones.. is that ridiculous?

dracomordag
08-11-2005, 08:32 AM
I can understand a 6 month writing/recording process, but they had "the framework for 10-12 songs" before Maynard even came in.

I'm not complaining or anything, I'm just wondering what's taking so long. And if they're actually farther along than Blair wants to tell us.

grady
08-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Remember when they were recording back in February? Ya know, like, 6 months ago? There's no way in hell recording takes six months, no matter how much effort you put into it, especially if you as a band "already had the framework for 10-12 songs". I mean, seriously. Recording takes 2 months maximum for most bands. And that's pushing it.

I would love to hear your band if you knock albums out in 2/3 months. You also have to think that they don't go into a basment studio with 12 songs perfectly rehearsed and just lay them down...the songs are pretty much written and perfected in the studio....So...maybe take a little longer than 2 months to lay and album down and maybe you willl have a bunch of dudes on a forum begging for your shit to be released. (and yes I am in a band also...not TOOL, but we def take longer than 2 mos to drop shit. later.

haich
08-11-2005, 08:37 AM
is that ridiculous?

far from it

Chris_Brightwell
08-11-2005, 08:46 AM
This is bullshit. Totally.

First it was feb. '05...then mid summer...then fall ....now not till next year. That is some shit!I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but none of those dates were officially announced. They've all been speculative.

I'm sure the album is done.You're so rad.

Chris_Brightwell
08-11-2005, 08:47 AM
I'm kinda getting back into the Beatles again.Glad to see I'm not the only one taking a break from Tool to (re)discover other great bands/musicians.

haich
08-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one taking a break from Tool to (re)discover other great bands/musicians.

probably the best thing ever when you find new/old bands that turn out to be brilliant...

KJM
08-11-2005, 09:28 AM
I would love to hear your band if you knock albums out in 2/3 months. You also have to think that they don't go into a basment studio with 12 songs perfectly rehearsed and just lay them down...the songs are pretty much written and perfected in the studio....So...maybe take a little longer than 2 months to lay and album down and maybe you willl have a bunch of dudes on a forum begging for your shit to be released. (and yes I am in a band also...not TOOL, but we def take longer than 2 mos to drop shit. later.

Recording constantly for more than 2 months at a time is considered excessively long.

Cid
08-11-2005, 10:22 AM
..something about tool's version of the wall. and frankly,

why do people keep saying that this will be tool's version of the wall? i think there was one quote, about the DVD, where danny said it won't be another band playing live DVD, something more like the wall. no one ever said the album will be.

Tyro
08-11-2005, 10:44 AM
why do people keep saying that this will be tool's version of the wall? i think there was one quote, about the DVD, where danny said it won't be another band playing live DVD, something more like the wall. no one ever said the album will be.

It wasn't about the DVD. It was about the album.

Edit: Proof - As for the future, Carey is confident that fans won’t be left destitute for another five years. In fact, Tool already has an album’s worth of undeveloped material leftover from Lateralus. "I could see the next record coming in two or three years," he says, "unless we take on something huge, like try to do the next Wall. Which is a possibility... I think we’re the ones to step up and do that."

http://www.icemagazine.com/stories/170/tool.asp

Dirty Sanchez
08-11-2005, 11:22 AM
I hate The Wall.

dracomordag
08-11-2005, 12:32 PM
The Wall kicked ass...

Tool's Wall will kick more ass.

Cid
08-11-2005, 01:18 PM
I hate The Wall.

yea, the wall sucked compared to all their other albums.

Cid
08-11-2005, 01:20 PM
It wasn't about the DVD. It was about the album.

Edit: Proof - As for the future, Carey is confident that fans won’t be left destitute for another five years. In fact, Tool already has an album’s worth of undeveloped material leftover from Lateralus. "I could see the next record coming in two or three years," he says, "unless we take on something huge, like try to do the next Wall. Which is a possibility... I think we’re the ones to step up and do that."

http://www.icemagazine.com/stories/170/tool.asp

he did say something about the dvd not being just a band playing live too, i just thought both these things were said at the same time and he was referring to the dvd. guess i was wrong. i doubt it will be a double disc concept album like the wall though.

Exakt
08-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Listen people...when it comes out it'll come out, in all its "amazingness"

I hate these little 15 year olds who are all "man, how I wish I could see Tool live in concert, and HOW I WISH THE ALBUM COMES OUT IN THE NEXT MONTH!!!!"

We all hope the record comes out soon, but if its not done, its not coming out, and thats the way it should be...

And if you didn't hate me enough already...'The Wall' is the best thing Pink Floyd ever put out...'Dark Side of The Moon' is such a poser package...good yes, but poser package!

:)

mosquito
08-11-2005, 06:13 PM
The more I think about it, the more it seems likely that this will end up being a DVD+CD package deal with the DVD complementing the album with visuals and stuff, and live shows as sort of an extra feature of it. They probably are delaying the DVD just to release it in tandem

ATARI
08-11-2005, 06:37 PM
The more I think about it, the more it seems likely that this will end up being a DVD+CD package deal with the DVD complementing the album with visuals and stuff, and live shows as sort of an extra feature of it. They probably are delaying the DVD just to release it in tandem

I thought the DVD was supposed to be stuff from the Lateralus tour though?

Carny_Handles
08-11-2005, 10:11 PM
I thought the DVD was supposed to be stuff from the Lateralus tour though?
''

nein.

I guess there's rumored to be a dvd that will be artsy fartsy like one big music video for lots of songs. THere's also going to be a live dvd (not a rumor) from their last lateralus tour. So if all the stars align properly were looking at 3 new tool releases, not including the lateralus vinyl..which i dont consider new.

/Parallelus/Reflectionis/
08-11-2005, 10:53 PM
basicly though, as much as we care about it, they dont give a fuck if we care or not, they are gonna bring it out when they please, im sure they want people to hear it, but perfection is the main ingredient for tool and a longer wait than expected is always expected with tool.

adam also told me through his myspace:

contracts lawyers managers agents record co.$$$ etc
herny we need your support
its so hard getting anything done
our label got bought by bmg
bmg got bought by sony
think about all that red tape when you want to do something creative.

so yeah, i guess that record deal issues could come into it, i dont know much about that, i dont know much about writing music or recording and producing. but i guess we gotta just sit back and wait.

then he said it was a joke.

Tertius Oculum
08-12-2005, 02:11 AM
The Wall kicked ass...

No, TOOL's Wall will destroy the world. (From so much awesomeness.)

cacophony
08-12-2005, 02:16 AM
Yes, indeed...

I am almost nervous and scared at how good it might be. Yes that sounds stupid, and I am getting my hopes up too much. But I'm worried my mind will be blown to the extent that, well I wont want to do anything but listen to it...

Two CD's I think would bring about many aural deaths...

Tertius Oculum
08-12-2005, 02:26 AM
GIGAFRAGILOUSECONOMICON

11/8/05

rdblack2112
08-12-2005, 05:40 AM

Some of the best albums I have ever heard were recorded in less that 2 or 3 months. If any of your guys know about a side project that Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater did called Transatlantic, they were an Epic based Progressive Rock Band. Most of their songs were over 10 mintues long and many well over 15. Heck, my favorite tracks of theirs are over 25 minutes long. They recorded both of their albums in roughly 2 or 3 weeks, and I think it is some of the best recorded material in the last 10 years. If you want to know what they sound like go to transatlanticweb.com...

dracomordag
08-12-2005, 06:17 AM
Some of the best albums I have ever heard were recorded in less that 2 or 3 months. If any of your guys know about a side project that Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater did called Transatlantic, they were an Epic based Progressive Rock Band. Most of their songs were over 10 mintues long and many well over 15. Heck, my favorite tracks of theirs are over 25 minutes long. They recorded both of their albums in roughly 2 or 3 weeks, and I think it is some of the best recorded material in the last 10 years. If you want to know what they sound like go to transatlanticweb.com...

seconded

flipmojo
08-12-2005, 07:24 AM
The bottom line is this:

You can spend an eternity writing and recording an album. But at some point, you are just changing things for the sake of change. They stop making a difference. And the longer you continue to play with finished songs, the greater the expectations become from both the artists and the fans.

At some point, you have to wrap it up and call it "completed" before it's too late. I'm sure they already realize this.

Mooseifer
08-12-2005, 09:11 AM
The bottom line is this:

You can spend an eternity writing and recording an album. But at some point, you are just changing things for the sake of change. They stop making a difference. And the longer you continue to play with finished songs, the greater the expectations become from both the artists and the fans.

At some point, you have to wrap it up and call it "completed" before it's too late. I'm sure they already realize this.

someone should post this to Axl Rose

PsychoX_02568
08-13-2005, 12:47 PM
And if you didn't hate me enough already...'The Wall' is the best thing Pink Floyd ever put out...'Dark Side of The Moon' is such a poser package...good yes, but poser package!
:)

Amen mother fucker. Everyone loves Dark Side. It doesn't even touch the wall though.

It's like they hear two songs off of Dark Side and think they're fucking experts.

Get Bent!

Carny_Handles
10-24-2005, 10:00 PM
I just heard a similar announcement yesterday by another radio DJ after a tool song. 'look for the new tool album to be out in late spring'. great, its bad enough the new album is going to be released in spring, now 'late' spring. UHhhhhhg.

fraz
10-24-2005, 11:32 PM
The longer they take, the better.

not necessarily - we waited an awful long time for lateralus and it's not as good as Aenima.

5th Eye
10-25-2005, 03:18 AM
Not true.

Foamy
10-25-2005, 03:54 AM
GIGAFRAGILOUSECONOMICON

11/8/05
And thats just the time sig of LK

TurdEye13
10-25-2005, 11:52 AM
One quote to sum up this conversation...............

"What happens if you put this side up face down while popping microwave popcorn?"

martyr
10-25-2005, 12:10 PM
dude Ænima is better than lateralus

BreakX
10-25-2005, 12:47 PM

Why? And yes I've been listening to tool since before Lateralus came out.

In case you'd like to know my opinion I like them both equally and differently.

TenSpeed
10-25-2005, 12:55 PM
My personal opinion is that Lateralus' style is the best, but Ænima is the best song-wise.

They're all good though, so stop arguing.

paraology
10-25-2005, 01:20 PM
The Wall kicked ass...

Danny Carey said on the chat that the new album will be out "soon". Soon does not mean 6 months. Soon means more like 2-3 months which would put it out in January like most people anticipate. Anyway, why the hell does everyone here have to dissect and overanalyze every little word miffed about tool. The new album is already recorded. It will be here soon. Lets be patient because this one is gonna blow even Aenima away.

killershears
10-25-2005, 01:51 PM
The Wall kicked ass...

Kind of like how Tool's No Quarter kicked more ass than LZ's.

But yeah...I love The Wall, and I'm sure Tool can do something fucking awesome that is similar.

johnnyTrip
10-25-2005, 02:08 PM

yeah...how can anyone pick a favorite album....it just depends on my mood wut ill listen to, and normally its a live bootleg so its a taste of all the albums

killershears
10-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Lets be patient because this one is gonna blow even Aenima away.Let's not get carried away now.

BreakX
10-25-2005, 02:10 PM
They're all good though, so stop arguing.

I agree. I just like to hear people's reasons when they adamantly think something is better.

docder
10-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Kind of like how Tool's No Quarter kicked more ass than LZ's.

But yeah...I love The Wall, and I'm sure Tool can do something fucking awesome that is similar.

Can you post this opinion one more time?!

Estevan
10-25-2005, 07:00 PM
I know a guy who said it's going to be out tomorrow.

Naga Royal Guard
10-25-2005, 07:07 PM
I know a guy who said it's going to be out tomorrow.

I know a guy who just sucked 5 cocks at once...

Carny_Handles
10-25-2005, 08:46 PM

I know a guy who would be pissed off that his son is going online and telling everyone about his talent.

exojjl
10-26-2005, 10:13 PM

Dark side of the moon took 6 months, and that was back in 72-73 when albums didnt take as long to record and be put out onto the market!

killershears
10-27-2005, 11:01 AM

You actually think that's impossible?

Man In The Box
10-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Dark side of the moon took 6 months, and that was back in 72-73 when albums didnt take as long to record and be put out onto the market!

Nirvana recorded In Utero in 2 weeks. My point is.... I have no point.

TurdEye13
10-27-2005, 11:18 AM
Nirvana recorded In Utero in 2 weeks. My point is.... I have no point.

Your point is that album recording times vary. You a Nirvana fan?

Wretched
10-27-2005, 11:21 AM
Tool is a good band with some pretty good music, I anticipate the next album with my penis in one hand and my balls in the other.

Man In The Box
10-27-2005, 11:45 AM
Your point is that album recording times vary. You a Nirvana fan?

Hmm, I guess there was a point. The only reason though it was recorded in 2 weeks is because all the songs were written before, just after Nevermind was recorded, and during tours. In Utero is the better album IMO.

... and yes I am a fan.

TurdEye13
10-27-2005, 12:40 PM
... and yes I am a fan.\

Nice! Me too, Hardcore one at that.

Carny_Handles
12-18-2005, 11:18 PM
i just wanted to rub it in that i was the first to report about tool's release in spring of 06. im cooler than everyone.

fraz
12-18-2005, 11:24 PM
i just wanted to rub it in that i was the first to report about tool's release in spring of 06. im cooler than everyone.

that's right, you're a cooler bigger dickhead than all of us!

varg
12-19-2005, 08:48 AM
I kinda wish I would give a fuck. It's just a rock-album. It's no Jesus coming from the sky.
Hey this guy has a point. And I think you all realized it to.

Odibilëph
12-19-2005, 09:54 AM
I've heard a lot about people saying they'd gladly wait for a piece of musical genius. But there is such a thing as over-working art.

CalfMan
12-19-2005, 11:23 PM
First off, any one with any sense knows that Wish You Were Here Owns both the Wall and Dark Side.

B. It could easily take this long to record. Especially if they were taking each song from start to finish all at once, before moving on.

III. No one in this thread has even considered that they could also be doing a 5.1 mix, which would not only take time but also kick serious ass.

fraz
12-20-2005, 12:02 AM
but 5.1 is no good on an iPod though (sarcasm) fuck I hate ipods

/Parallelus/Reflectionis/
12-28-2005, 11:40 PM
Hey this guy has a point. And I think you all realized it to.

What the FUCK would I care about Jesus coming from the sky ???

And it's not a rock album, it's a Tool album. Nothing else. And I still care about it. And I'm pretty sure lots of people do.

Happy new year (haha)

johnnyTrip
12-29-2005, 12:05 PM
the new album will take me down a new path of existence....leaving my lateralus stage behind me

moneyisevil
12-29-2005, 01:04 PM
i just want to report that i am the only person who informed you guys about anything correct about the album which then unfortunatley turned out to be incorrect

for those of you who don't remember alex grey informed me on maynards style of singing, but since then it has changed...i think i deserve a round of applause though for being the only tdn'er to give out semi-REAL news...sick of all this bullshit news

killershears
12-29-2005, 01:18 PM
AND richer. Don't forget richer.