PDA

View Full Version : Lyrics are lame

Perseensilmä
08-09-2005, 06:14 AM
I have to criticize this song's lyrics since it is a great song but the lyrics are empty and meaningless. It's like those rap songs where they say that "I have alot to say" for the whole song but after all they don't say anything. In this song it's just about change. Lyrics are going nowhere and it's all the time just change, change, change. It doesn't explain why the change is needed or what happens. He is just stepping to his shadow. Booooring. Lame attempt, Maynard, lame attempt.

Perseensilmä
08-09-2005, 07:14 AM
Is 46&2 some holy relic that can't be criticized wihtout being banned.

The fact is, the lyrics suck.

paraflux
08-09-2005, 07:40 AM
The fact is, the music speaks louder than the words. If you experienced that, perhaps you would understand a lot more what you are missing.

Perseensilmä
08-09-2005, 08:10 AM
The fact is, the music speaks louder than the words. If you experienced that, perhaps you would understand a lot more what you are missing.

I am kinda sure that this song represents being afraid, hopeful, confused and all kinds of mixed feelings at the same time.

Yeah, I can understand the feelings that this song represents but the lyrical content is just dull, IMO. It's like writing a song about walking to the mall. Something like this:

I walk to the mall
I am scared
I don't know what I will meet
I want to get to the mall

It just doesn't deliever what I would want it to be. It's not just this one song, there are others too. I just kinda hope that future Tool release has more content lyrical wise. I wish that they would actually go somewhere not just describe the journey.

dracomordag
08-09-2005, 08:30 AM
I think that the lyrics to this song are some of the best Tool has ever written.

the title 46 & 2 is a nod to the theory that the human genome is evolving and soon will have 46 chromosomes (I believe that's the correct summary).

The lyrics themselves seem to be about someone that resists change although they desperately need it. Soon they realize that they need to sacrifice to move forward (the main message of the song) and as such, "I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through. I choose to live and to lie, kill and give and to die, learn and love and to do what it takes to step through."

This admittance leads him to move forward, or step into his shadow (the part of him that he doesn't like) and accept it, clean it out so that he can move forward.

mutable
08-09-2005, 08:40 AM

I would say that forty-six & 2 is probably one of the best TOOL songs lyric wise. I think you just need to listen a little better, but then again...not everyone has the...ability, to grasp a concept such as the one in this song...

triad636
08-09-2005, 09:10 AM
I would say that forty-six & 2 is probably one of the best TOOL songs lyric wise. I think you just need to listen a little better, but then again...not everyone has the...ability, to grasp a concept such as the one in this song...
Amen

paraflux
08-09-2005, 09:15 AM
"The songs I sing, they dont mean a thing, if you arent there to hear it"

collapsed shell
08-09-2005, 07:59 PM
yeah, i really don't get this thread. the lyrics are more than fine. i really dig them, and they usually stick in my head for quite sometime after hearing them.

i just love the two parts of "i choose to"

those two verses sum up morales ethics the bible, etc.

really...

Masochistic Chia Pet
08-10-2005, 01:57 PM
I have to criticize this song's lyrics since it is a great song but the lyrics are empty and meaningless. It's like those rap songs where they say that "I have alot to say" for the whole song but after all they don't say anything. In this song it's just about change. Lyrics are going nowhere and it's all the time just change, change, change. It doesn't explain why the change is needed or what happens. He is just stepping to his shadow. Booooring. Lame attempt, Maynard, lame attempt.

I think that if you would read what you just wrote in fullness then you would understand the song alot better and mabey appreciateit alot better.

Like you said the whole time the song is talking about change and metamorphosis but the song itself never really does change a lot.

Basically everything ends up in the same place no matter how we live or what we do but it is better to at least acnowlage this instead of doing the same damn thing all the time.

Masochistic Chia Pet
08-10-2005, 02:01 PM
and another thing like everyone else has said this is one of the best damn songs ever (my personal favorite) because it sums up almost everything about humans

Just do what i do sleep with the song on all knight and when you wake up will you not only know the lyrics by heart but you will be able to understand them

its Hypnosis in itself think about it

Goldfoot
08-14-2005, 11:06 AM
If you think that this song is about the shadow you cast on the ground/wall/whatever then you need to open your mind some. Taking even a literal interpretation, you cannot think that the shadow is something physical. It only makes sense for it to be metaphorical.

The 'shadow' is coming out, and the host is trying to help it. They are trying to go beyond the past and get to a new place mentally. They WANT to feel the change, there is no fear here.

"I choose to live and to
Grow, take and give and to
Move, learn and love and to
Cry, kill and die and to
Be paranoid and to
Lie, hate and fear and to
Do what it takes to move through."

The growth continues....And if you think about the Leary sample from Salival, it will add to that set of lyrics.

"See my shadow changing,
Stretching up and over me.
Soften this old armor.
Hoping I can clear the way
By stepping through my shadow,
Coming out the other side.
Step into the shadow.
Forty six and two are just ahead of me."

And by the way, there is much more to music than lyrics. When it comes to Tool, lyrics are a side dish, and the music is the main course.

quasiperiodica
04-04-2006, 11:07 AM

Eerm... this is the most retarted comment I've ever read. What could possibly be meaningless about them? and why do they even need meaning to begin with?> If they were meaningless to Maynard, he wouldn't have written them the way that they are. And if they do have meaning, why do you need an explaination? You completely contradict yourself, saying the lyrics go nowhere, that they're just about change. If that's all that you interpret there then you're pretty narrow-minded. And as an artist, I can personally tell you that whatever you think is left out of the lyrics, anything that an artist does not say through his artistic voice, isn't nonexistent, but merely left up to the imagination. So FUCK YOU!!!!

Perseensilmä
04-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Wow, you are an artists! I must have been wrong, then!!!

oneredflag
04-04-2006, 04:47 PM
46&2 - Outstanding top to bottom

quasiperiodica
04-04-2006, 06:12 PM
Wow, you are an artists! I must have been wrong, then!!!

2 years of art school I do know something

Perseensilmä
04-05-2006, 07:07 AM
2 years of art school I do know something

Congratulations!!!!! 2 years of art school!!! YAy!!! Awesome!!!!

Octopod
04-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Two years of art school is something. People can launch their careers from the things they learn from two years of art school. Most four year degrees only include about two or three years of solid art training after finishing the general ed classes. It doesn't necessarily qualify anyone's interpretation, but I would lean more toward listening to that person than someone who doesn't really explain what they mean by saying a song is about "change, change, change."

What kind of credentials do you have that authorizes any assessment you might make of Tool's lyrics besides that of a standard fan? Have you studied language, literature and/or psychology? Have you ever read the Tool FAQ document?

snakeeyedhawk
04-07-2006, 06:37 AM
How the hell are the lyrics lame here?

Honestly, the only close-to-lame lyrics they put out were from Opiate.

Octopod
04-08-2006, 03:01 AM
And even those were better than anything else in 92.

junki3
04-08-2006, 07:22 PM
"What kind of credentials do you have that authorizes any assessment you might make of Tool's lyrics besides that of a standard fan? Have you studied language, literature and/or psychology? Have you ever read the Tool FAQ document?"

I'm not defending the ignorant original post but i have to say......it is a fan site.....don't expect "professional evaluations" on the artwork in question. It's pretty arrogant of youself to assume the condescending position of posting comments about credentials and education. Fan site. Get over urself.

Octopod
04-08-2006, 07:42 PM
I'm not defending the ignorant original post but i have to say......it is a fan site.....don't expect "professional evaluations" on the artwork in question. It's pretty arrogant of youself to assume the condescending position of posting comments about credentials and education. Fan site. Get over urself.

Hey, just responding to his ignorance. I'm aware that credentials don't mean much on a fan site such as this. But if you look at the two of us and want to paint me as the arrogant one, it's your call.

Perseensilmä
04-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Just tell me can you objectively evaluate if song´s lyrics are lame?

bentTOOL23
04-09-2006, 12:58 PM

i hope u die.

every lyric and sound from aenima (and even every zap of "ions") has changed my life.

i think u need to start and see yur shadow changing...

u might just come out the other side...

Octopod
04-09-2006, 02:03 PM

Just tell me, have you read the section in the FAQ on this website about Forty-Six & 2? If you think these lyrics suck, then you have absolutely no idea what they are about. It's not about being objective. It's about taking the time to find out what it is you are forming an opinion about.

"Lame attempt"? I'd say your last sentence was a lame attempt. If you're still learning english, how can you even consider your opinion on english lyrics objective? It's like a 11 year old trying to drive a Mercedes and saying that the car sucks because he can't reach the pedals.

weak&weary
04-09-2006, 05:45 PM
And even those were better than anything else in 92.
I disagree. If you've got "Badmotorfinger" by Soundgarden, give that a listen and tell me those lyrics aren't the coolest things ever written. If you do... then I guess we just have our opinions. This comment was pointless.

epistomai
04-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Just tell me, have you read the section in the FAQ on this website about Forty-Six & 2? If you think these lyrics suck, then you have absolutely no idea what they are about. It's not about being objective. It's about taking the time to find out what it is you are forming an opinion about.

"Lame attempt"? I'd say your last sentence was a lame attempt. If you're still learning english, how can you even consider your opinion on english lyrics objective? It's like a 11 year old trying to drive a Mercedes and saying that the car sucks because he can't reach the pedals.

Agree with the car

Octopod
04-10-2006, 01:42 AM
I disagree. If you've got "Badmotorfinger" by Soundgarden, give that a listen and tell me those lyrics aren't the coolest things ever written.

Although I preferred Dirt by AIC that year, I think Cornell's lyrics up to that point were excellent. I didn't really get tired of him until Down on the Up Side. But the lyrics for Opiate were unlike anything else at the time, to me. I guess I just prefer them, but I must admit that it's been a long time since I last threw on Badmotorfinger.

wags
04-22-2006, 07:06 PM
I recently did a project for a class based on this song. The class was about translating works of art across symbolic forms, i.e. a painting based on a structural analysis of a symphony. This song offers one of Tool's clearest, most coherent and densely layered undertakings. Its structure demonstrates many of the themes of the shadow, the ego and stepping back in order to go forward. Pour a glass of wine, crack open Aion by Jung and listen to this song until your ears bleed. You just might begin to understand.

seneca77
04-25-2006, 04:42 AM

i can objectively say that all 3,389 of your posts are useless. you say crap to get people going and quite frankly i do not believe you are serious about anything.

zonacruz6
04-25-2006, 08:07 AM

That's your opinion, not the fact. Lyrics mean different things to different people.

MemphisM
04-25-2006, 10:55 AM

ha, a-freaking-men

HateSolstice
05-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Normally, I'd have something either witty, random, or just plain stupid to throw in here in an attempt to get people to laugh, or at least disturb the careful balance of the tense name-calling going on here.

But this time around I opted to actually throw in my two sense.

Forty-Six & 2 is song about evolution, and in my opinion, in every sense of the word. The title obviously nods to the idea that the human chromosome, of which we currently only have 46 at this point in history, is evolving. To help out those that don't know, we have even pairs of chromosomes in our genes, 23 from our mothers, and the other 23 from our fathers. The only time this is not true is in occurances of Down's Syndrome, which is a state where we have one more chromosome than we need, and thus instead of being an even set, it causes mental and even physical retardation to occur. You can also have 1 less chromosome, but I believe this causes stillborns to occur, although I'm probably wrong about that.

Anywho, with that said, the song is all about experience and surviving said evolution, even if we are all trepid at first. It's already been said in adages that we, the human species, fear change of just about any kind. The song practically chronicles someone going through the stages of evolution.

Lyrically, the song is mind-blowing, and is definitely my favorite Tool song, along with Lateralus which, in my opinion, is another song about evolution and being "human". Somehow, Maynard has a way of writing songs that, even if the meaning isn't obvious lyrically, you can still get the jist of it just by listening to the music. Trent Reznor was this way too at one point, then he decided to jump on the Anit-Bush bandwagon with the rest of the celebrity world, instead of still writing excellent music.

And as for the whole "I have a degree in art! Do you?!" debate. Meh. I'm not going to defend the topic creator in any way, because for all intents and purposes, he is a douche bag. But to use that argument seems rather petty, especially against such a moron as the original poster. Are you saying that, due to you having gone to art school, to get a degree saying you can draw and critique art, means you're more capable of seeing the beauty in art than I, or anyone else? Or that you are more entitled to debate and discuss art than someone without a degree? Because I can tell you that I can sit down and talk beauty just as intelligently as the next guy. And I have seen several others on here that can do the same. I may not be able to cite names of famous artists from around the globe, or styles or whatnot, but I know when something is done well. Remember the whole "Eye of the Beholder" spiel.

something
05-07-2006, 05:03 PM
In response to the first poster:

The reason for change is given throughout the album, especially in Stinkfist and AEnema where maynard talks about the sickness of the world we live in, people need to change from

"Fret for your figure and
Fret for your latte and
Fret for your hairpiece and
Fret for your lawsuit and
Fret for your prozac and
Fret for your pilot and
Fret for your contract and
Fret for your car."

and get in touch with their spiritual side.

p.s. i haven't listened to AEnima for quite some time, so these are things I remember from a while back

smisli
05-08-2006, 05:49 AM
are u fucking nuts?
the lyrics are perfect
AMAZING!

Perseensilmä
05-08-2006, 05:53 AM
and get in touch with their spiritual side.

Fuck you and your spiritual side. He doesn´t say anyhthign about getting in touch with your spiritual side. That one came straight from your drugged imagination.

thecellarlife
05-10-2006, 03:48 AM
Wow, I hope that is your real picture. You look like you should be arrested for insider trading. Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion, but you should probably expect everyone here to disagree. If you actually understood the lyrics, you might think differently. Personally, I get a lot from these , and I think they fit perfectly into the song. As for interpretation,"hatesolstice" pretty much nailed it on the head. But I like the fact that you can get anything you want from these lyrics, even if its that they suck.

Wonko The Sane
05-11-2006, 02:32 AM
Taken from Carl Jung's "Memories, Dreams, Reflections."
"The inferior part of the personality; sum of all personal and collective psychic elements which, because of their incompatibility with the chosen conscious attitude, are denied expression in life and therefore coalesce into a relatively autonomous "splinter personality" with contrary tendencies in the unconscious..."

This song is that expression which had previously been denied...Great stuff imo.

something
05-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Perseensilmä - your eloquence amazes me. now run along and lick your lolly-pop

civdis24
05-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Here's my take on the lyrics of Forty-six and 2. They are by no means lame... they may in fact be some of Tool's best work...

"My shadow’s
Shedding skin and
I’ve been picking
Scabs again
I’m down
Digging through
My old muscles
Looking for a clue"

The concept of 'the shadow' is the fundamental theme of this song. According to Jungian psychology, the shadow is essentially your anti-self, the unconscious, supressed part of you that represents everything about yourself that you despise. The song proposes that by exploring and knowing ourselves truly, our potentials both good and bad, we can be stronger, capable of clearer thought and higher consciousness.

"Now is my time
Listen to my muscle memory
Contemplate what I’ve been clinging to
Forty-six and two ahead of me"

Muscle memory refers to unconscious learning. Stuff that you learn without knowing it and is incorporated into your unconscious psyche, including your shadow. Digging through your muscles refers to the process of idendifying and accepting your shadow. Exploring within yourself and confronting "your demons" (whatever about yourself that you deny and supress) is not easy but can lead to higher consciousness (you essentially recognize your unconscious portion of your psyche and incorporate it into your conscious portion). The song illustrates this in the following stanza:

"I’ve been crawling on my belly
Clearing out what could’ve been
I’ve been wallowing in my own confused
And insecure delusions
For a piece to cross me over
Or a word to guide me in
I wanna feel the changes coming down
I wanna know what I’ve been hiding in"

Basically the rest of the song deals with the narrator going through the process of recognizing the forces that drive his decisions, and metamorphosizing, fusing the ego (self) and shadow (anti-self) into one entity, removing the "armor" that once divided the two...

"See my shadow changing,
Stretching up and over me
Soften this old armour
By stepping through my shadow"

-----------------------------------

The whole forty-six and 2 thing refers to the 46 pairs of chromosomes we have (22 pairs plus 2 sex chromosomes). The and 2 portion represents the idea of evolution in terms of additional chromosomes being 'the next evolutionary advancement' for us. This idea, though false because more chromosomes does not mean better, represents evolution, in this case the evolution of one's consciousness by the identification and acceptance of one's Shadow.

Wonko The Sane
05-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Civdis24 - Great post 8) Well said

bruised_kiwi
05-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Shut up with your negative bitching about the lyrics.....Write me a better song grumpy pants!

foursixandtwo
05-18-2006, 01:19 AM
Here's my take on the lyrics of Forty-six and 2. They are by no means lame... they may in fact be some of Tool's best work...

"My shadow’s
Shedding skin and
I’ve been picking
Scabs again
I’m down
Digging through
My old muscles
Looking for a clue"

The concept of 'the shadow' is the fundamental theme of this song. According to Jungian psychology, the shadow is essentially your anti-self, the unconscious, supressed part of you that represents everything about yourself that you despise. The song proposes that by exploring and knowing ourselves truly, our potentials both good and bad, we can be stronger, capable of clearer thought and higher consciousness.

"Now is my time

Muscle memory refers to unconscious learning. Stuff that you learn without knowing it and is incorporated into your unconscious psyche, including your shadow. Digging through your muscles refers to the process of idendifying and accepting your shadow. Exploring within yourself and confronting "your demons" (whatever about yourself that you deny and supress) is not easy but can lead to higher consciousness (you essentially recognize your unconscious portion of your psyche and incorporate it into your conscious portion). The song illustrates this in the following stanza:

And insecure delusions
Or a word to guide me in

Basically the rest of the song deals with the narrator going through the process of recognizing the forces that drive his decisions, and metamorphosizing, fusing the ego (self) and shadow (anti-self) into one entity, removing the "armor" that once divided the two...

"See my shadow changing,
Soften this old armour

The whole forty-six and 2 thing refers to the 46 pairs of chromosomes we have (22 pairs plus 2 sex chromosomes). The and 2 portion represents the idea of evolution in terms of additional chromosomes being 'the next evolutionary advancement' for us. This idea, though false because more chromosomes does not mean better, represents evolution, in this case the evolution of one's consciousness by the identification and acceptance of one's Shadow.

If anyone..ANYONE can read this post and STILL say the lyrics are lame...they are perhaps a lost cause.
This is one of the most inspirational Tool songs ever.
Perseensilmä stated that this is not a spiritual song...that post makes me think Perseensilmä does not know much about the song. How sad for Perseensilmä :(

I cant believe how moronic one can be, DID YOU EVEN READ THE LYRICS BEFORE YOU POSTED THIS THREAD??????????????

Inner_Eulogy
05-18-2006, 04:32 PM

"My shadow’s
Shedding skin and
I’ve been picking
Scabs again
I’m down
Digging through
My old muscles
Looking for a clue"

"Now is my time

And insecure delusions
Or a word to guide me in

"See my shadow changing,
Soften this old armour

This is the best post I've seen yet about this song. I've known the full meaning for a long time now but you have just worded it damn near to perfection. Except one minor detail...we currently have 44 & 2 (sex chromosomes)...the supposed evolution is to be 46 & 2....we all have the 2 sex chromosomes....if humans didn't have 2 sex chromosomes there would be no such thing as man and woman.

civdis24
06-01-2006, 09:09 AM
This is the best post I've seen yet about this song. I've known the full meaning for a long time now but you have just worded it damn near to perfection. Except one minor detail...we currently have 44 & 2 (sex chromosomes)...the supposed evolution is to be 46 & 2....we all have the 2 sex chromosomes....if humans didn't have 2 sex chromosomes there would be no such thing as man and woman.

oops.. typo. Thanks all for the approval!

civdis24
06-01-2006, 09:19 AM

wait, i did word it correctly, just i said 22 <b>PAIRS</b> of chromosomes, plus 2 sex chromosomes.

2 more would make it 23 pairs of chromosomes, or 46, and 2 chromosomes. I guess its how you look at the phrase "46 and 2"... either that you have 46 and you gain two or that you WOULD have 46 AFTER the evolutionary step, and 2 sex chromosomes... either way works

I was reading the book by Bob Frissell that Tool refers to so much, "Nothing in this book is true but its exactly how things are" and according to that (which is pretty wacked out) the chromosome number represents the level of consciousness we have as humanity as a whole... we are currently at the second level meaning we supposedly had 2 fewer chromosomes in the past, and we will eventually gain two more and obtain the third level of conciousness, referred to as "christ consciousness" and basically you enter a whole new dimension of consciousness... its a really rediculous concept, which i find hard to believe, and dont believe, but it is at the same time a neat idea, which forces you to open your mind to totally new ideas

Lordog
06-09-2006, 02:47 PM
This is one of my FAVORITE Tool songs. It has awsome words. And his voice is amazing. C'mon like 90% of the shit thats on the tube or radio right now has decent lyrics or even meaning???

SnakeShadow
06-29-2006, 02:20 PM
I've just started reading these posts on the meanings of these songs, but felt compelled to offer up my two cents after reading this long thread. First off, I'm not gonna waist your time by reiterating what has already been said about "the Shadow" as it is all over the thread (so if you don't know the Jung stuff, look it up). What caught me was the dude saying that the lyrics were lame because they don't go into detail about what happens as Maynard confronts/realizes his shadow. Well, I think this song is more about the process, specifically the difficulty of it, rather than the end result. The end result is probably in some other song knowing Tool. Maybe Maynard has seen what he wants to/ has to do, and recognizes the difficulty ahead. But at the same time, he sees that the end result is desireable as he steps through his shadow.

And on a related note, I think this song might be directly related to H. It has been established (with few arguments against) that 46+2 is about evolution or transcendance beyond being human. And to do this, one has to recognize his shadow. Well, part of I would suspect everyone's shadow is the inherent greed and selfishness of being human. In H. the birth of his son perhaps opens his eyes to his own greed which Maynard personifies as "the Snake". Throughout H, Maynard deals with the conflict between "the Snake" and altruistic love for his son. I think Maynard's son opens his eyes to the snake in Maynard's shadow and shows him that he needs to go through this difficult process for his son's and his sake. And as he deals with his snake he steps through his shadow and is evolving into something greater which lacks the selfishness of humanity. For that matter, I think the chromosome bit might be just a metaphor for the evolution process, juxtaposing physical evolution with spiritual growth. That last bit just came to me though, so I havent thought it all the way through.

Anyway, that is more or less my opinion, but I'd love to hear your responses, criticizims because I don't consider my self a Tool expert nor do I have a comprehensive grasp of the philosophy behind these songs.

crispy
07-03-2006, 08:42 AM
fuckin great song , great lyrics

HelenA
07-06-2006, 02:01 AM
Here's my take on the lyrics of Forty-six and 2.

Muscle memory refers to unconscious learning. Stuff that you learn without knowing it and is incorporated into your unconscious psyche, including your shadow. Digging through your muscles refers to the process of idendifying and accepting your shadow. Exploring within yourself and confronting "your demons" (whatever about yourself that you deny and supress) is not easy but can lead to higher consciousness (you essentially recognize your unconscious portion of your psyche and incorporate it into your conscious portion).

Can I please use this thought about muscle memory in a biology lesson? I have credited it to civdis24!!!! I hope thats OK.

ShadowLine
08-13-2006, 05:50 PM
its not just about the lyrics!!!!!!
for god sake, everyone here anylyses the lyrics, and thats fair enough they are deep, but hardly anyone anylyses the music, remeber maynard writes his lyrics after the songs are written.

and btw the lyrics to 46 and two are most certainly NOT poor.

chris
x

TJP
08-13-2006, 07:28 PM
The lyrics might be 'empty' and 'meaningless' to YOU but obviously not to tool.

one_reflection
08-31-2006, 03:54 AM
OK. From someone who is quite fond Tool but is prepared to admit they are not even close to understanding things to the extent of many people here.

This song is brilliant. To the comment about the song being all about the journey and wishing it would actually go somewhere: to quote a concept from a class at school "The journey, not the arrival, matters". It is through the journey (whether it be physical, spiritual, emotional, imaginative, whatever) that we gain feelings, experiences, ect that bring us out at the end (the arrival) with new perceptions, thoughts, outlooks on life. There is no arrival without the journey. We would not learn anything, we would not transform, we would not reach any point of greater understanding.

Having said that, I have listened to this song a few times whilst reading here, and to be honest I hear little of the lyrics. The music dominates here. The only time where the lyrics seem to dominate is the "my shadow.." parts. The music in many ways makes this song. The different phases and transitions reflect that journey idea rather well... at least I think so anyway.

:)

RocktheVisualArts
09-02-2006, 07:50 PM
I had tears rolling down my face when Tool played it at the Gorge. 46 & 2 takes on a whole new meaning once you hear it live.

AMF
09-02-2006, 11:10 PM
I had tears rolling down my face when Tool played it at the Gorge. 46 & 2 takes on a whole new meaning once you hear it live.

Sheesh what is it with everyone crying with Tool and shit?

TheJuiceOfSatan
09-03-2006, 02:44 PM
all i gotta say is, what the fuck kind of drugs have you been doing or havent been doing? the lyrics to this song kick ass. but, you dont agree so, thats good too.

conawayb
09-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Ignorance only thrives on attention. Ignore the ignorance. Doing so will turn its feeble nature back around on itself and it will die......like the narrow opinion it was

Jim_46and2
09-05-2006, 08:59 PM

Do not insult what you obviously don't understand. This song, if you'd bothered to do five minutes of research, refers to the chromosomes within our body. 44+2 and 42+2.
46+2 is the next step of evolution in the human race. Read about it, Suss it out and then come back and tell me that the lyrics are lame and make no sense.
You shouldn't bother listening to tool. It won't make any sense to you.
Come back when you're OGT.

HelenA
09-06-2006, 02:24 AM
Come back when you're OGT.

What IS OGT? I put into the search function and IT didn't know!

implandnoises
09-06-2006, 03:32 AM
What IS OGT? I put into the search function and IT didn't know!

Original Gangsta Tool.

(you can't "come back when you are OGT" - either you are or you aren't.)

Well, more likely you just aren't. It's from Hooker with a Penis of course:

"new tattoos that claimed that he was OGT, from '92, the first E.P."

HelenA
09-06-2006, 03:46 AM
Original Gangsta Tool.

(you can't "come back when you are OGT" - either you are or you aren't.)

Well, more likely you just aren't. It's from Hooker with a Penis of course:

"new tattoos that claimed that he was OGT, from '92, the first E.P."

Yes - I knew it was from 'Hooker' thats why I wanted to know what it meant. Thanks. OH - I see! - he had new tattoos that said he was OGT - ha - I never heard that before - that is cool. I wondered why it mattered that the tattoos were new.

And, regarding 46&2, it is a GREAT introduction for a genetics course (in Biology). I am thinking about using it with my Year 9s (NOT that I think they will be able to get their heads around Jung and the shadow).

metric
09-28-2006, 07:50 PM
I think that the lyrics to this song are some of the best Tool has ever written.

the title 46 & 2 is a nod to the theory that the human genome is evolving and soon will have 46 chromosomes (I believe that's the correct summary).

Good interpretation that followed, but the human genome currently has 46 chromosomes (44 autosomal and 2 sex chromosomes).....hence that 46 & 2 are just ahead of me.

tescovee
09-30-2006, 11:32 PM
I am kinda sure that this song represents being afraid, hopeful, confused and all kinds of mixed feelings at the same time.

Yeah, I can understand the feelings that this song represents but the lyrical content is just dull, IMO. It's like writing a song about walking to the mall. Something like this:

I walk to the mall
I am scared
I don't know what I will meet
I want to get to the mall

It just doesn't deliever what I would want it to be. It's not just this one song, there are others too. I just kinda hope that future Tool release has more content lyrical wise. I wish that they would actually go somewhere not just describe the journey.

like the cleche "its not always the destination..."

fretforyourfigure462
10-06-2006, 09:07 PM
Ya know, all the theories I have read are very intelligent and well thought out...well most....but...did you guys ever think maybe we're reading a little TOO far into some of the lyrics?

Kinda like when I'm in English class and we're talking about Shakespeare...and how everything is "foreshadowing" and things like that. And I think to myself, "Do you think Shakespeare had the time to think THAT deep into what he was writing? He was naturally good at what he was doing...he didn't think about every little tiny detail of his writing. it just came natural."

Maybe it's the same way with Maynard, in that respect.

SoItIsSoItsAlwaysBeen
10-07-2006, 11:24 AM

You are insane. This is lyrically one of TOOL's best songs. Try and read between the lines. It's not about two numbers. The genious behind this song should be praised, and not crticized.

hushypushy
10-07-2006, 01:46 PM
Ya know, all the theories I have read are very intelligent and well thought out...well most....but...did you guys ever think maybe we're reading a little TOO far into some of the lyrics?

Kinda like when I'm in English class and we're talking about Shakespeare...and how everything is "foreshadowing" and things like that. And I think to myself, "Do you think Shakespeare had the time to think THAT deep into what he was writing? He was naturally good at what he was doing...he didn't think about every little tiny detail of his writing. it just came natural."

Maybe it's the same way with Maynard, in that respect.

Or maybe it was unintentional? It's been said about Apocalypse Now, about how that film means so much and so many little things have meanings that apply to the film and the world at the time and society...but it would've been nearly impossible for Coppola to create a 200 minute film that interweaved all those things. The best guess is that the whole turned out to be much greater than the sum of the parts.

paraflux
10-07-2006, 02:35 PM
ridiculous thread.