PDA

View Full Version : Alex Grey/Double Disc thought

08-08-2005, 05:21 PM
This is all wishful thinking, but.....

I was considering the post made awhile back about Alex Grey supposedly saying that Maynard has tried a new style of singing, in which he only uses syllables. Then I got thinking about another old post in which someone mentioned a band who put out two albums that compliment each other, that when listend at the same time became one album. So you put two and two together and possibly Maynard's syllable singing on some songs is to form whole words with words or syllables on a second album. This might be why it is such a new way of singing.

Like I said though, purely wishful thinking. But, if you think how long they have spent on the album, the suggestion that it could be two discs due the amount of songs and their length, and the fact that this is tool, a band always pushing the boundries, anything is possible.

Any thoughts???

Lackymacky
08-08-2005, 05:36 PM
all i have to say is that your avatar, regarding me, has its fair share of accuracy.

but on a more serious note...

i mean that is a creative idea which hasnt been done before...to my knowledge, but it just wouldnt work..because you would have to stop the song and put in the second disc..plus you wouldnt get the full effect, the full emotion due to the fact that you hear half the word. but it seems like an interesting idea, maybe something similar to that.

ARMZ
08-08-2005, 05:37 PM
Very nice thought.

Very weird avatar.

Welcome to the boards.

merman
08-08-2005, 05:51 PM
You mean kind of like 'Zaireeka'? The album by the Flaming Lips where you needed 4 cds and 4 stereo systems

ARMZ
08-08-2005, 06:12 PM
To add weight to your theory 2012.......

THAT’s DANNY CAREY OF TOOL

Okay, so D.C.’s playing the Modern Drummer thing with Volto! That’s fantastic, some of you will say, but what about TOOL? Well, Tool enthusiasts can rest assure that Danny is only taking a couple of days off from the band’s recording sessions, and, TRUST ME (trust me, TRUST ME!), all the TECHNICAL EXPERTISE, the POWERFUL BEATS, the COMPLEX TIME SIGNATURES and the INTRICACY OF CYMBAL (and electronic sample) WORK that TOOL fans have come to expect are being captured via the appropriate medium for you to attempt to assimilate, and, more importantly, to enjoy (that is, if you enjoy getting lost in a sonic labyrinth)! I know I have (even with the thread of Ariadne to guide me from the clutches of the Minotaur*), and it really gets strange when you move from one room in which the recording of a particular new TOOL (get the idea) song, or parts thereof, is being played (say, by a band member for a friend of his) and then, upon entering the adjoining room, a different song is being played by another band member on a different CD player (so that you can hear both simultaneously), well, that’s a bit much to assimilate, rhythmically speaking!

But, what I’m saying, drummers, in this writer’s opinion, although Danny continues to set the bar with his TOOL stuff… continues to push the envelope in experimenting with electronic samples (yep, he’s a few tricks up his sleeve for the new one), it sure is fun to watch him do his thing with Volto! That is, to watch him having fun. I hope lots of you get a chance to experience this ‘different’ Danny. And, for those of us here on the west coast, Volto! will probably return to one of those tiny jazz clubs for a date (TBA) in June.

*geMINI + TAURUS = MIN(O)TAUR (See: GenISIS)

Blair (616) checking airline fares to Newark

It doesn't confirm anything but at least you had some constructive thoughts...

merman
08-08-2005, 06:13 PM
omg. that would be aural (not oral) sex.

Lackymacky
08-08-2005, 07:47 PM
first of all, could you tell me how that Zaireeka album (those Zaireeka albums) worked?! it seems really interesting. and armz nice addition..that makes a lot of sense

Bogart
08-08-2005, 08:08 PM
...didnt think that avatar would last too long

Lackymacky
08-08-2005, 08:19 PM
why? are we not allowed to have things like that?

TurdEye13
08-08-2005, 08:29 PM
I don't want to see that everyday when I get on unless, you like staring at that all day.

The whole Alex Grey thing in my opinion, is a load of bull. It was one of those I have a friend who did this type of stories, notorious on these threads.

merman
08-08-2005, 08:57 PM
Zaireeka was basically: You buy the set, which is 4 CDs. Each CD is different and doesn't make sense if you listen to it by itself.

If you get 4 nice stereo systems in a big room and cue them to start at the same time ( this is the tricky part because not all machines respond to the play button in the same way, unless you have 4 of the same type of stereos), you'll get Zaireeka. Really crazy surroudn sound.

But Zaireeka was basically a failure because it took too much time and energy to set it up anyways

KJM
08-08-2005, 09:24 PM
gullllllible

Lackymacky
08-08-2005, 09:54 PM
Zaireeka was basically: You buy the set, which is 4 CDs. Each CD is different and doesn't make sense if you listen to it by itself.

If you get 4 nice stereo systems in a big room and cue them to start at the same time ( this is the tricky part because not all machines respond to the play button in the same way, unless you have 4 of the same type of stereos), you'll get Zaireeka. Really crazy surroudn sound.

But Zaireeka was basically a failure because it took too much time and energy to set it up anyways

thats unfortunate. its a really neat idea. if only someone could make it work, but youre right its too difficult. by the way has anyone ever made it sound perfect? and even better has anyone, if they made it work, RECORDED IT!?

merman
08-08-2005, 10:42 PM
I believe people have made it soudn right before, and recorded it -- I haven't ever had the opportunity to experience it, although I would like to.

A Google search on 'Zaireeka' could help you a lot if you are interested in knowing more of the details

rimb
08-08-2005, 10:59 PM
thats unfortunate. its a really neat idea. if only someone could make it work, but youre right its too difficult. by the way has anyone ever made it sound perfect? and even better has anyone, if they made it work, RECORDED IT!?

I got a "mixed down" version of it a while ago and not suprisingly it sounded quite messy.

Spongebob
08-08-2005, 11:34 PM
what was the avatar?

haich
08-09-2005, 12:57 AM
what was the avatar?

Tertius Oculum
08-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Hmm, interesting. But even if this was true, I don't think it's going to work out. I doubt most fans will go out and by 2 stereos or another one, just to hear them synched (I probably would :/). I don't see this happening unless they sound fine by themselves. Otherwise it will probably be another failure.

TheNothingSong
08-09-2005, 02:52 AM
id borrow three stereos. or listen to it on the computer.

Fourth Part Of A Circle
08-10-2005, 04:25 AM
I don't want to see that everyday when I get on unless, you like staring at that all day.

The whole Alex Grey thing in my opinion, is a load of bull. It was one of those I have a friend who did this type of stories, notorious on these threads.

I don't think he mentioned anything about a "friend who did this," it's speculation based on stuff already stated by the band or people close to the band.

Gouldius
08-10-2005, 04:40 AM
I once had a listening party for "Ziareeka"; which basically entailed a group of my closest friends and I hooking up 4 stereos and getting stoned.

It was grand...

Once we got it in perfect sync. of course :)

harbong
08-10-2005, 02:29 PM
there was a torrent for a dvd 5.1 mix of Zaireeka. It is great. Each channel is one album, and they also mixed cool segments of movies like altered states, requiem for a dream, animatrix, event horizon, neverending story, and pretty much every trippy movie into an awesome video montage for the whole thing that is amazing. If you were hallucinating your mind might just explode.
I would post a link to the torrent but tradersden pulled it due to the copyrights.

haich
08-11-2005, 02:45 AM
there was a torrent for a dvd 5.1 mix of Zaireeka. It is great. Each channel is one album, and they also mixed cool segments of movies like altered states, requiem for a dream, animatrix, event horizon, neverending story, and pretty much every trippy movie into an awesome video montage for the whole thing that is amazing. If you were hallucinating your mind might just explode.
I would post a link to the torrent but tradersden pulled it due to the copyrights.

sounds pretty amazing!