View Full Version : my line by line

pathological2
08-05-2005, 06:13 AM
my interpretation:

"every shadow just behind me
shrouding every step I take
making every promise empty
pointing every finger at me"
-The snake is always with me. So every promise I make is empty. And every promise he makes is empty (he is a liar). And HE (the snake) points every finger at me (blames me for everything). Even though it's OUR fault (like in "Intolerance").

"Waiting like a stalking butler
who upon the finger rests
murder now the path called must we
just because the son has come"
-The snake is just waiting for the right time and place to end me. Like I said above, he is the one who points his finger. I don't know what the second part means.

"Jesus won't you fucking whistle
something but the past and done"
-In my head I am tormented by my past actions (my sins and my lies). I think Jesus is just a metaphor for the god inside me. Won't you tell me something else/something postive?

"Why can't we not be sober?
Just want to start this over
Why can't we drink forever?"
-Why can't I drink/use drugs without fucking everything up? Why do I have to stay completely sober to be ok? Can't I be a social user like other people? Why am I an addict? Why can't I just start again/be like other people?

"I am just a worthless liar
I am just an imbecile
I will only complicate you
Trust in me and fall as well
I will find a center in you
I will chew it up and leave
I will work to elevate you
Just enough to bring you down"
-THE "I" IS MY DISEASE/THE MONSTER INSIDE. It only complicates me. IF I TRUST IN IT, I AM GUARANTEED TO FALL AS WELL. So my choice is to listen or not listen. Cause if I listen, I will fuck everything up. It will build me up just enough to knock me down. It will give me false hope/confidence then crush me with it.

"Trust me"
-My disease is telling me to trust it. But I must remember that if I do, I will fall as a result. I cannot trust in it and not fall. It's a sure thing.

"Why can't we sleep forever?"
-Why do I have to awaken? Because unlike "normal" people (non-addicts), I will die if I sleep long enough. My self-destructive ways will kill me. Cause for me, this is the cycle:
The disease is in me, tormenting me, tempting me. If I give in to it and put a drug into my system, then I BECOME the disease. I am just somewhere inside. This is very dangerous to me because it's just a matter of time until I die. So I MUST NOT SLEEP FOREVER. I MUST BE AWAKE (AT LEAST PART OF THE TIME).

sub rosa
04-27-2006, 10:16 PM
I thought it went, "Murder now the pagan, must we."

SimpleWanderer
05-06-2006, 10:21 AM
I thought it went, "Murder now the pagan, must we."
nope

JOK3R
05-08-2006, 11:06 PM
that is what i get from the song as well

wearethestories
05-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Thanks so much.

This interpretation (and I like your use of "snake", reminds me of "H.") has been immensely helpful for my understanding of the song. I think if we mingle this with the Layne Staley idea and the Catholic/guilt overtones, we come to a very well-rounded interpretation of "Sober".

Thanks.