PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Acrylamid
08-04-2005, 01:29 PM
This may seem like a stupid question, but did anyone else wonder why Tool put this song on Salival?
5 out of the 8 tracks hadn't been released before on a CD (in a version played by Tool), Third Eye has a new intro and Pushit sounds almost like a different song.
Is there any big difference between the two versions of "Part of me" I'm missing? It seems odd to me to put it on Salival as opposed to just waiting for a full fleshed live album, if they simply wanted to rerelease the song.
All the other tracks on Salival are "new" or at least different to the old versions, including one "normal" live track among them seems strange to me.

bluefire
08-04-2005, 01:38 PM
i guess so they cover their old material, as well as (at the time) the newer material. Some fans like the old, hard, fuck you tool better than the newer introspective version.

Wave.Existance.Tears
08-05-2005, 02:04 PM
Yeah. That and this approach gives a clear catelog overview to Tool newbies.

awaking
08-06-2005, 09:43 AM
because its a great song

collapsed shell
08-11-2005, 07:14 PM
part of me has always stuck out just a little in the crowd of great tool songs. i totally support and love the direction tool is going in. as with most here we don't want the same cd over and over, but god you have to love that ep. fast sharp and to the point. they were spot on with how to hook fans and draw them in and get their attention. once they had us they were like hey check out our other tricks...

pathological2
09-18-2005, 06:26 AM
yeah, "opiate" is a great fucking album. "part of me" is a great song. So unique.

varg
10-12-2005, 06:22 AM
This may seem like a stupid question, but did anyone else wonder why Tool put this song on Salival?
5 out of the 8 tracks hadn't been released before on a CD (in a version played by Tool), Third Eye has a new intro and Pushit sounds almost like a different song.
Is there any big difference between the two versions of "Part of me" I'm missing? It seems odd to me to put it on Salival as opposed to just waiting for a full fleshed live album, if they simply wanted to rerelease the song.
All the other tracks on Salival are "new" or at least different to the old versions, including one "normal" live track among them seems strange to me.

If Tool ever releases a "normal" live album, I'll burn all their records in a satanic ritual.

Dedicated_TOOLfan
02-17-2006, 07:22 PM
The live version is excellent....

eonphi
05-02-2006, 03:00 AM
it sounds much better than the original...by far...i love it

ween69
05-03-2006, 08:33 AM

i'm thankful, i like hearing their old stuff played live.

dissonance19
05-16-2006, 04:18 AM
Originally, they had planned the cover of Spasm for it if I remember correctly. They changed it for some odd reason. I guess, they figured 2 covers were enough.

RiaN_the_Great
05-16-2006, 10:49 AM
I remember Justin saying something about how Salival was sort of wrapping up that previous chapter of Tool's career. Part of Me then most likely is the representative of their early days. For the most part, the rest of the album is more mid-era Tool, when they began to explore, as well as the gems we didn't normally get, like Merkaba.

drayeva
05-23-2006, 10:38 AM
it also does a good job of breaking up the two epics either side. its a good sharp short shock, and going straight from third eye to salival would've been overload i reckon

moneyisevil
05-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Yeah. That and this approach gives a clear catelog overview to Tool newbies.