PDA

View Full Version : third eye reallity

pathological2
08-04-2005, 05:56 AM
This is my favorite song on Opiate. Here's how I relate it to me:

This song is a description of the drug-induced dream-like state of the third eye (trance state).

"I'm sweating, breathing, staring, and thinking
Sinking deeper and it's almost like I'm swimming"
-I'm sitting in front of my computer writing poetry in this state. I'm getting deeper within this state and it's like I'm swimming. I'm all brain in this state and I'm flowing with my thoughts and ideas.

"I'm trying to remember when but it makes me dizzy"
-I often get dizzy in this mind-wrenching over-thinking state.

"Seems like I've been here before
Seems so familiar
Seems like I'm slipping into a dream within a dream"
-I've come here countless times, and every time it's like it's new but familar. I keep slipping deeper into the trance, then I come out, then go back in, then come out, then go back in, then come out,etc. I'm in the dream-like state. But going deeper in is like another dream. The trance within the trance. A dream within a dream. You have to experience it to know.

"It's the way you whisper
Drag me under
Takes me home"
-SAME VOICE IN APC'S "A STRANGER" - "AS I LISTEN FOR THE WHISPER OF YOUR SWEET INSANITY". My third eye revelation time. The voice in my head that's informing me of this new perspective. "You" is like this reality. This is the "you" in many Tool and APC songs.

This is what I love about Maynard. He always gets deeper but doesn't lose site of his message. His lyrics don't completey change (like, say, Aaron Lewis of Staind). A song on 91's "Opiate" relates to a song on 2003's "Thirteenth Step". Twelve years later. That's fucking awesome.

What I mean about Aaron is that if you listen to Staind's first album/demo "Tormented" and their newest one "14 Shades of Grey" there are very few similarities in the lyrical writing style.

moneyisevil
09-24-2005, 11:18 AM
agreed

jim39n
10-29-2006, 12:15 AM
pretty much how i see the song as well, although as i said in another thread the song doesn't nessisarily imply a substance was involved in achieving this feeling, though it's as likely as not. i don't see the apc connection though...i always interpreted that song as one about drug addiction and a resolve to quit

aenima19
11-02-2007, 05:55 AM
very nice thot... i understand wat u r saying and the trance u r talking bout...